News:

Main Menu

Love

Started by RomeoFalls, July 16, 2010, 08:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RomeoFalls

Okay well this is two things. One is me sayying sorry for acting like a douche. Im just under alot of stress with various things.

Two. I want to know what others thinks love is. I have some problems and I just want to see.

Love is the emotion of strong affection and personal attachment.[1] In philosophical context, love is a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection. In religious context, love is not just a virtue, but the basis for all being ("God is love"), and the foundation for all divine law (Golden Rule).

The word love can refer to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from generic pleasure ("I loved that meal") to intense interpersonal attraction ("I love my wife"). "Love" can also refer specifically to the passionate desire and intimacy of romantic love, to the sexual love of eros (cf. Greek words for love), to the emotional closeness of familial love, or to the platonic love that defines friendship. [2] to the profound oneness or devotion of religious love. [3] This diversity of uses and meanings, combined with the complexity of the feelings involved, makes love unusually difficult to consistently define, even compared to other emotional states.
Thats the defenition from Wiki. So, imput please.

Leo

Well... let me think for a moment...

Yep, got it.

Love is unconditional affection to a person of opposite/same gender or to family or to friends. It is not an emotion, it is a state of being of sorts. Love is when you are free of concern, it is where nothing matters. Love is what makes you do stupid things and also great things. It is the pure form of emotions, ideas and everything that make us human put into one feeling that we can not quite describe.

It is being able to forgive the greatest of sins and accepting that person without expecting anything in return. It is the fantasy world that mutes everything else and grants you a moment's pause, a place to find respite. It is perhaps the greatest creation of the human spirit. It is what defines half of what we are.

I must emphasize on unconditional, because when love becomes conditional, it's not love anymore... it's a trade between two people.

Yeah, that's about it about love in my book.
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

MasterMischief

I have become rather cynical regarding love.  I am not entirely convinced it exists outside of love for one's child.  This applies mostly to the unconditional love Leo was speaking of.  I know a lot of people may find that rather depressing regardless of whether one believes it or not.

Personally, I do not find it depressing because I do not feel I need love.  I can still feel deeply for someone.  Again, as Leo pointed out, you can have a trade between two people.

I am leaning more and more towards the idea that unconditional love is largely a fairy tale.  Real love in the real world requires some sort of mutually beneficial arrangement.

Something else I stumbled across, Robert Glover in his book No More Mr. Nice Guy suggests that love is a verb, not a noun.  One must actively love another.

In short, I do not have an answer for you.  The word has become so overused as to be meaningless and trite.

One day many years ago, my daughter looked at me and said, "Daddy...I like you."  This meant the world to me.  She had surely heard the word loved tossed around countless times and could have simply parroted it to me.  But she didn't.  She knew exactly what 'like' meant and consciously chose it to express her feelings at the time.  So who needs love.

LIAR

Love is being able to compromise and still enjoy the situation because even if it isn't what you wanted, the person your with makes it worthwhile.

RomeoFalls