Broken Dolls - an Interest Check

Started by LimitlessNikkie, October 25, 2018, 01:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LimitlessNikkie

New York. The city of lights. The city that never sleeps. The big Apple. Everyone's heard of it, dreamed of the place most likely. Thousands of young lost souls find thier way migrating towards the city with the sole intent of following thier dreams, finding a better life. Some do, some rise through the ranks to success to become masters of finance, fashion and industry. And then some other don't. Some are lost. Some simply find new dreams. Because it's not the building that make the colorful dynamic city what it was, it was the people and thier equally as colorful stories.

The idea is deceptively simple. A free form, character driven game taking place in New York City. The idea is that all the characters are the fractured personalities of those lives who don't always go as planned. I love playing emotionally complex characters, with triggers and flaws and then twisting them into knot. If you enjoy the same thing I invite you to write and post a character. All types for characters are welcome. This will be placed in extreme to allow for any kind of story you might want to develope with other writers, so if that makes you uncomfortable please be aware. Individual plotting and past connections are highly encouraged.

Amarlo

I must say I'm intrigued. However, by 'any kind of character', do you mean supernatural? Anime? Or are we talking basic, every day, contemporary people?

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

LimitlessNikkie

Contemporary. I meant any type of person you can imagine.

Amarlo

Sounds good to me! I will definitely be keeping an eye on this.  ;D

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Love And Submission

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

A Painter

TheHangedOne

Also interested. Working concept is a writer or some other creative type who thought he had a great deal, but got burned badly when he didn't read the fine print. Now he's burnt out, jaded, cynical, and bitter at a world that he feels betrayed him. Too apathetic to smash the state, but motivated enough to seek solace with the other downtrodden, and to try and 'save' others that have stars in their eyes, preventing them from seeing the dangers.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

LimitlessNikkie

Glad to see some interest generating. Welcome THM and thank you for the concept. If anyone else would like to post concepts feel free.

I'm planning on playing a struggling model with duel eating disorders and self esteem issues. She out going enough, friendly to most around her but her self worth is very tied to her appearance and in the hyper critical world of modeling she struggles between the highs of the praise and attention and the lows of not being booked or being passed over.

Amarlo

So far I have two concepts in mind, although I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going with them yet. So far the most well formed will be a plus size barista still struggling to deal with a long history of abusive relationships, which started with her parents and has placed her in a toxic relationship with her current boyfriend-not-boyfriend(npc) that she can't seem to convince herself to leave due to a cycle they seem to consistently fall into. ^^ Subsequently she's dealing with undiagnosed generalized anxiety disorder, Stockholm syndrome and ptsd.

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: Amarlo on October 27, 2018, 09:45:19 PM
So far I have two concepts in mind, although I'm not entirely sure if I'll be going with them yet. So far the most well formed will be a plus size barista still struggling to deal with a long history of abusive relationships, which started with her parents and has placed her in a toxic relationship with her current boyfriend-not-boyfriend(npc) that she can't seem to convince herself to leave due to a cycle they seem to consistently fall into. ^^ Subsequently she's dealing with undiagnosed generalized anxiety disorder, Stockholm syndrome and ptsd.

That sounds awesome  ;D ;D ;D

Amarlo

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

lustfulintentions

Throwing in a note of interest. I have a few thoughts, and I love NY as a setting.

Wyatt

Tentative interest noted, no specific character in mind as of yet.  Thinking...
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”
Ons, Offs and Stuff   
Story Ideas
Apologies and Absences

Levi

I'm kind of intrigued
An idea came into my head of a nurse or young doctor who just completed their training and then lost their first patient and is now struggling with thoughts of what they could have possibly done different or if they even want to be in this job anymore.
Would this be an acceptable sort of charcter?
A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: lustfulintentions on October 28, 2018, 08:45:29 PM
Throwing in a note of interest. I have a few thoughts, and I love NY as a setting.

Welcome! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Quote from: Wyatt on October 28, 2018, 10:36:37 PM
Tentative interest noted, no specific character in mind as of yet.  Thinking...

Hello Wyatt, welcome! I'm excited to see your concept after reading Ella and Liam.

Quote from: Levi on October 28, 2018, 10:59:51 PM
I'm kind of intrigued
An idea came into my head of a nurse or young doctor who just completed their training and then lost their first patient and is now struggling with thoughts of what they could have possibly done different or if they even want to be in this job anymore.
Would this be an acceptable sort of charcter?

Absolutely, it sounds like a really interesting personal struggle to write.

Chantarelle

Hi. I’m excited about this game. I’m considering playing a woman who has recently escaped from a cult. She struggles with addiction and has recently begun stripping to make ends meet and on the side she sells her body when the price is right.
“If all we have is this imagined empty canvas of endless possibility...this potential heaven...then let it be our haven. A place of marriage between two souls desperate to feel something beyond the cruel tedium of real life. If we truly be the masters who dream these dreams then let our innermost desires fuel the adventures we create and the love that we make here, let it all unfold endlessly or for only a brief moment in time but for as long as it breathes let it devour and I will forgive your boldness if you will be so good as to forgive me mine...” ~ Chantarelle

TheHangedOne

An idea occurs to me; how do the characters realistically meet up and interact with each other? The city is a big place. Maybe there's some sort of common place that the 'broken dolls' go to; a dive bar or the like?
Check out my poet tree!

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: Chantarelle on October 29, 2018, 06:18:00 PM
Hi. I’m excited about this game. I’m considering playing a woman who has recently escaped from a cult. She struggles with addiction and has recently begun stripping to make ends meet and on the side she sells her body when the price is right.

Sounds like a very interesting concept.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on October 29, 2018, 06:22:16 PM
An idea occurs to me; how do the characters realistically meet up and interact with each other? The city is a big place. Maybe there's some sort of common place that the 'broken dolls' go to; a dive bar or the like?

I'm considering a shared neighborhood or building they all live in and overlap.

Amarlo

Oooh, perhaps the Barista my girl works at can be the local coffee spot for everyone. Either that, or we can just change it into a bar or something and I can make her a waitress there. xD

-snaps fingers.- My second concept had to do with escaping a cult. xD Haha.

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

lustfulintentions

I don't know why, but I immediately read this as a darker 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'.

And I'm a nerd.

Amarlo

Quote from: lustfulintentions on October 29, 2018, 08:42:43 PM
I don't know why, but I immediately read this as a darker 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'.

And I'm a nerd.

I've only had the pleasure to watch two episodes of that show, and it is a gift to this planet. -nods.-

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

lustfulintentions

Quote from: Amarlo on October 29, 2018, 08:48:40 PM
I've only had the pleasure to watch two episodes of that show, and it is a gift to this planet. -nods.-

Wait until you see who plays the cult leader. It's so choice. (Okay, I'll stop threadjacking now!)

EvieFrye

This sounds interesting. Is romance allowed? I mean, it would be interesting if different characters fell in love and have to deal with each other's issues.

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: EvieFrye on October 30, 2018, 01:15:44 AM
This sounds interesting. Is romance allowed? I mean, it would be interesting if different characters fell in love and have to deal with each other's issues.

Absolutely. Any relationships you want to develop are welcome.

lustfulintentions

Okay- Finally had a chance to think this through a bit more, and I think I'd like to go down the route of a roughly-middle-aged gentleman who owns a struggling small rock-club/concert venue who's a recovering alcoholic struggling with anxiety stemming from his financial issues/recovery (and maybe a divorce).

I think I really want an excuse to use a Dave Grohl faceclaim. :P

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: lustfulintentions on November 01, 2018, 09:27:41 AM
Okay- Finally had a chance to think this through a bit more, and I think I'd like to go down the route of a roughly-middle-aged gentleman who owns a struggling small rock-club/concert venue who's a recovering alcoholic struggling with anxiety stemming from his financial issues/recovery (and maybe a divorce).

I think I really want an excuse to use a Dave Grohl faceclaim. :P

Sounds great.

I'm thinking of having everyone living in the same building and that's were the overlap is. That sound good to everyone? Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Amarlo

That might be problematic for those that want to play the rich, the poor or anything in between though.

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

TheHangedOne

I'd imagine that everybody is more or less on the out and out; downtrodden and the like.
Check out my poet tree!

Amarlo

My second character might possibly be an heiress, though. :P So neeeeer

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

LimitlessNikkie

Maybe a list of setting then where all the characters frequent.

Wyatt

Maybe base it off of a neighborhood, some of those in NYC can be quite diverse and still rather cozily small area wise and with landmarks and places to eat, live and play that tie the identity of the area together.  That would seem a really nice compromise, use an actual NYC neighborhood or make one up.
"Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”
Ons, Offs and Stuff   
Story Ideas
Apologies and Absences

LimitlessNikkie

Quote from: Wyatt on November 01, 2018, 09:05:23 PM
Maybe base it off of a neighborhood, some of those in NYC can be quite diverse and still rather cozily small area wise and with landmarks and places to eat, live and play that tie the identity of the area together.  That would seem a really nice compromise, use an actual NYC neighborhood or make one up.

I like the idea of using an actual neighborhood for reference. We could use it as the base and then characters could travel where ever they please with the city. Off to do some research, see if I can find an economically diverse neighborhood.

lustfulintentions

Simply sticking my head back in this thread, curious to hear if anything materialized further for our lovely host.