WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

So PETA are now saying this was all a cunning plan to get people visiting their site.

Could be.

Or else they found a PR type who managed to give them a conceivable sounding reason for their looking like idiots for a few days :)

In other news, Papa Smurf is back. Facebook is plastered with what I guess is the new WD pics, Gathering Storm part 3. As well as Rowboat there's Cypher and some GK brotherhood grand master, or whatever their title is.

Rumours of
Possible spoiler?
Abaddon getting killed in that book
, but they're not confirmed.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

greenknight

Quote from: Lustful Bride on January 29, 2017, 11:15:23 AM
I recommend watching the Text to Speech series as it goes over a lot of lore in the 40k universe while also making fun of it.

First episode

BTW, LB, thanks for turning me on to this. Gotta share with my GW store managing brother, though I doubt he isn't aware and laughing with the rest of us.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Lustful Bride

Quote from: greenknight on February 03, 2017, 01:47:04 PM
BTW, LB, thanks for turning me on to this. Gotta share with my GW store managing brother, though I doubt he isn't aware and laughing with the rest of us.

You are welcome ^_^

wander

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 03, 2017, 01:39:48 PM
So PETA are now saying this was all a cunning plan to get people visiting their site.

Could be.

Or else they found a PR type who managed to give them a conceivable sounding reason for their looking like idiots for a few days :)

In other news, Papa Smurf is back. Facebook is plastered with what I guess is the new WD pics, Gathering Storm part 3. As well as Rowboat there's Cypher and some GK brotherhood grand master, or whatever their title is.

Rumours of
Possible spoiler?
Abaddon getting killed in that book
, but they're not confirmed.

Interesting, Gathering Storm 2 and Ynnead shouldn't be too far away now then.  :-)

Dhi

Games Workshop announced at GAMA that they'll be joining the internet age this May and allowing their products to be listed for sale by online retailers. I have a lot of store credit with a retailer offering those products at 15% off, so I was thinking about picking up some paints, maybe trying out some technicals. When I started painting, Citadel paints were rated the worst on the market. Has that changed? Have the issues with poorly sealing paint pots been addressed?

Thorne

If it has changed, it hasn't for me; the last pot of Citadel paint I bought had the consistency of their dry-brush line. It was labeled as layer. I was /very/ irritated.
That's only been a year or so back. Haven't bought any since, that pretty well finished the job of souring me on Citadel paints.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

wander

I've found the actual paints themselves to be decent, though over the years you'll find the actual amount in the pot has lessened and had a price hike. Still, the paints they have to do stuff like textured mud for the bases have been really good, IMO at least.

The main issue with dry paint in the pots I have found always comes from the paler colours. I bought a starter box of paints and found the flesh tone and white were dried in the pot already when I broke the seals to use them, whilst the darker black, red and most other colours were fine. Must be something in the mix of the lighter tones that drys it out.

HairyHeretic

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/warhammer-40000-news-from-adepticon/

So, interesting stuff here. There do seem to be some AoS elements, according to those who play that (judging by the comments I've seen on FB posts around this), but things like individual movement stats, armour modifiers, I used those in 2nd ed. The changes from 2nd to 3rd saw a lot of the individual complexity removed in favour of simplified rules and quicker play. I wonder if this new skirmish game will be used as a test bed for 8th ed rules, and public attitude towards them.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/news-from-the-plague-planet/

And now it's Nurgle's turn in the spotlight, Khorne and Tzeentch having had some love. Will Slaanesh get the same treatment, or will the least kiddie friendly of the Ruinous Powers get shuffled off to the corner as was done in AoS?

New rules and models are always good, but I'd rather see them done for Chaos as a whole, rather than for each faction, particularly since that sidelines the unaligned legions.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

That is awesome news about Nurgle as I'm actually building up a 500pt Death Guard army atm, with room to grow later for 1000pts and up. I love that tease for a 40K Mortarion (or maybe a new Typhus model, hoping the prior though!) at the end of the trailer!
Those models are awesome though and so good it came just in time for me to have already been listing out my Traitor Legion Death Guard!  XD

Not sure on some of the rules for 8th...
Some of it sounds great, though Morale sounds it could do with a bit more playtesting. The Move stat coming back could be a really good tactical point.
I'm also guessing that the new skirmish game may be a test bed, as apparently only certain squads from each faction are useable as the skirmish game uses it's own ruleset 'based off Necromunda'/quote, so seems like a move to some older edition things may be happening, which may be fair, given the hate for some of the broken things these newer editions have had. As far as the Command Points go, we already have that in 7th with the different special rules attached to specific detachments if used, so not a big big change there.

HairyHeretic

Given the Primarchs seem to be coming back these days, I'd guess the scythe is Mortarion rather than Typhus. I have a small Death Guard force myself, but I'd still rather a full new codex.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

I'm currently pondering whether a squad of x10 MoN Cultists would be best to add in the 500pt list for one of the two mandatory Troop choices, instead of having two 5-man MoN CSM squads for them both.

I'd have some more bodies on the field and I'd have 20pts spare for more special/heavy weapons etc, though they're Toughness 4 with a 5+ save (I think they get FNP, though not sure without looking at the books) and I regularly face my mate in Kill Team who is a Tau player, so Strength 5 pulse rifle shots in number wrecks most things, especially with a 5+ save. That's like t-shirts against Tau guns.

I'd like a tarpit for him to waste his pulse rifle shots on, though at 500pts it's pretty impossible to have that without sacrificing something else that'll actually do some damage.

HairyHeretic

I think only the Plague Zombies get FnP, and you need Typhus for those. Have you considered bikers or raptors? If you're playing Kill Team you ought to have cover enough to get a fast moving individual model close enough to engage them, and deny them the long ranged shooting that they're going to excel at.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Oh in Kill Team I'm sorted, this is for when me and my mate enter proper 40K rules with multi-model units and all that. We're going 500pts at first so we don't bankrupt ourselves and we can get a feel for what works and what doesn't. :)

I'm def taking a unit of Nurgle Bikers in Fast Attack and likely will take my HQ on a bike too. I'm likely gonna go with a Sorceror, though I don't really have the points for the spell familiar or any other mastery levels, though I think the Nurgle psychic powers will really come in handy and give me the edge, even though I'll only have Nurgle's Rot and one random other.

I played a normal vanilla 200pt Kill Team against him with x10 Nurgle CSMs (+ melta and a lascannon) this Sunday and they tabled him even without the Traitor Legion supplement rules added on like the free VotLW and FNP etc (we decided not to use them as Kill Team mentions using stuff from one Codex only).

At 500pts and having his Fireblade HQ buff his dudes though, gonna be a lot more shots, so lots of forced saves. Should still get FNP for most everything, though after previously playing Skitarii in Kill Team, I know better than to totally rely on Feel No Pain.

HairyHeretic

I'd still think about a deep striking unit. Both raptors and obliterators would be good. Drop in behind cover, and particularly with raptors you're threatening assault on his units. He either moves to engage that threat, or avoid it, and that will split his attention from fast moving bikers. Hammer and anvil.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

I was considering an Obliterator over a Havoc unit. The reason I'm somewhat against Deep Striking and threatening assault earlier is down to Tau Overwatch. Multiple units get to fire, so they're gonna swiss-cheese assault units unless they get thinned out by gunfire first.

Here's a basic list I've thrown together before today;

MoN Sorceror on Bike (95pts), 2x 5-man MoN CSM squads (90 x2 = 180pts), 1x 3-man MoN Biker squad (88pts), 1x 5-man Havoc Squad (90pts). That's 453pts, so I have 47pts to get the squads a few flamers, meltas and the Havocs can get a few Autocannons as they have Relentless.

HairyHeretic

Unless you're playing somewhere with a lot of cover, all the Tau have to do is sit and let you come to them, then mow you down. I'd think about mechanising at least one of those squads. If nothing else, maybe you can use the rhino as cover to block some of the Tau overwatch fire. Maybe a raptor unit with a flamer?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Yeah, I'm deliberately putting as many bodies as I can down with room for spec/heavy weapons rather than any tanks at this point. My friend wipes out anything I have with an AV value in the 1st turn in Kill Team games, having S5 as base guns and I know he'll be packing S7 and S8, so Rhinos are just gonna become cover I happen to spend my army points on...

Thing is, taking a Rhino or a cheaper Heavy Support tank reduces a squad off the table when I only have 19 models there to begin with. ^^;

I think the advice you're giving would be awesome for anyone except Tau. Having to deal with 20x S5 shots and everyone jumping in on an Overwatch with that level of strong firepower and that numerous royally sucks. The reason I'm playing Death Guard is to have the Toughness to deal with it.

Tau are OP as all hell... Hope they get nerfed some in 8th. :/

HairyHeretic

In that case what about a couple of min point cultist mobs, and everything else fast movers? Bikers or raptors. You have the speed to pick your engagements, try and isolate a squad and pounce on it where others can't support?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

CopperLily

Quote from: Dhi on March 22, 2017, 06:23:47 PM
Games Workshop announced at GAMA that they'll be joining the internet age this May and allowing their products to be listed for sale by online retailers. I have a lot of store credit with a retailer offering those products at 15% off, so I was thinking about picking up some paints, maybe trying out some technicals. When I started painting, Citadel paints were rated the worst on the market. Has that changed? Have the issues with poorly sealing paint pots been addressed?

The paints are...okay. Better than they used to be, but not perfect. But to be fair, I have yet to find a brand whose paint I'm uniformly happy with.

TheLaughingOne

... i need to get my army together.  Got some 250+ space marine minis, two rhinos, a contemptor class dread, 20 guards, a squad of SOB seraphim, and an imperial knight errant.. though the knight is completed...

I ever get my crap together i might have a decent fuggin army.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

wander

Quote from: HairyHeretic on March 23, 2017, 09:42:50 PM
In that case what about a couple of min point cultist mobs, and everything else fast movers? Bikers or raptors. You have the speed to pick your engagements, try and isolate a squad and pounce on it where others can't support?

I'm considering the cultists, it's just their low save that has me worried.
Def. taking Bikers as whilst I can't afford many, T6 is no joke! ^^ I was thinking last night that I have some unpainted Guardsmen, so I could experiment with a list that includes a 10-man mob of cultists if I wanted to, without getting the models and finding out they get S5 pulse rifled to death.

MoN Cultists base are cheaper than MoN CSMs base by 20pts, so I'd have those extra pts to do something nice with ontop of the 47pts I have left. Still, I think at 500pts they still may not be big enough in numbers for a tarpit strategy so I can pick off what I want. I know I'll be facing stuff like Crisis and Stealth Suits, so having some decent anti-MEQ stuff to get them off the table quick with the Markerlights makes my job a whole lot easier. Death Guard are Relentless so I can slap down some autocannons where needed and still move freely (also considering flamers and meltas for up close encounters ^^). This is why I'd also probably stick a melta or two if possible on the Bikers for nasty and tough Suit killers, having those extra 20pts would cover that.

Raptors also happen to be more expensive than CSMs and Havocs due to their Jump-Packs by +20pts, which makes them at 500pt level a bit of a quandry to pick, especially over Bikers and even Chaos Spawn. I'd rather spend the extra 20pts I'd need to place on Raptors by adding like two spec/heavy weapons into the other squads at this point level. Come 1000pts I'd have more points to spare.

HairyHeretic

There's a Helbrute formation you can take, Helbrute + 2 squads of cultists. If they hit you with high S stuff, you remove a cultist and get a 3+ invulnerable save. It's a bit of a gamble in a low point game, but it would definitely get their attention.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

That's pretty cool... I haven't looked too in-depth to the formations, as at 500pts I couldn't really fit everything in the Core detachment, so I'm going off the regular FOC, which removes the Decarion options for the Death Guard, though Objective Secured is all good as really playing objective marker games has always been the most fun.

At 750pts I think the Chaos Warband becomes viable to do, then I'd look into doing the Death Guard formations. Sure I could play the Plague Colony detachment easy enough at 500pts, though I think it's pretty situational and would make for a boring army IMO even with the say the extra add of Spawn.

HairyHeretic

Another option is the helturkey. That flame attack will try a squad a turn. Not sure if the Tay can override normal anti air rules.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

I did look at the Heldrake, the formation it has for a squad is tempting for the future. I'm not sure myself about the Tau and anti-air, it seems each time I talk to my friend about cool things I've found in the codex that they have a counter for it for like half the points. :/

Air and jinking would make the Heldrake(s) survive longer, though their AV is low and my friend has a severe case of good luck.