Fitness, excercising, physical training

Started by Captain Maltese, September 30, 2017, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheScarletBlade

Yeah. Cardio uses glycogen in your muscle to sustain itself. Thing is, it's easy to  run those glycogen stores with weight lifting prior to cardio. Then, to fuel your run, your body will use fat stores for energy. Also if you want to see results in muscular size, using that glycogen to fuel your size rather than burning it out on cardio will make a difference.
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Captain Maltese

Quote from: TheScarletBlade on April 22, 2018, 10:49:28 PM
Yeah. Cardio uses glycogen in your muscle to sustain itself. Thing is, it's easy to  run those glycogen stores with weight lifting prior to cardio. Then, to fuel your run, your body will use fat stores for energy. Also if you want to see results in muscular size, using that glycogen to fuel your size rather than burning it out on cardio will make a difference.

Your posts prompted me to look for more information. What I have found initially is challenging to understand with my lack of biology teaching. At the more advanced end I found so called 'carbohydrate loading', which does not apply to my activity level. Nor am I concerned with the need to build more muscle volume; I just want more strength for strenuous activities like lumberjacking and other field activities.

However, I completely see your point. And my cardio activities, walking and jogging, are far easier for my brittle patience and questionable back to stretch out in time than the weight lifting. So I am following your suggestion for the next few weeks while measuring for changes. I'll be back with a report on this eventually. In the meanwhile I'd love to hear what others do in the matter of activity distribution.

My sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycogen

https://www.livestrong.com/article/438810-how-is-glycogen-used-during-exercise/

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mohr114.htm

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

O/O            Current stories

Captain Maltese

My Narnia wardrobe divulged yet another sports item I had completely forgot I owned. This time it is, um, a bending bar? It looks suspiciously like a car's suspension spring that someone mounted grips on. I can bend it until the handle tips touch and keep it like that for a while. But I don't really see the point. Are there any exercise worth doing with this thing? Unfortunately there is no text on it to indicate its pressure. Resistance. Weight. Torque. Something?

Picture is some online pic I found, that looks more or less like the one I have.

Posting status:  25th December: Up To Date 5 of 9 : last month 2, this month 5, total 38 posts for 2023.

Blank

Back when I was in the dark times of grad school, usually 30 minutes of walking a day was what I did.  The CDC recommends about 75 minutes of vigorous or 140 of moderate cardio.  Then twice a week strength training for all muscle groups.

To satisfy the latter most, I did the "cards workout."  Take a deck of cards, shuffle, and associate each suit with a type of exercise.  What I did was crunches, squats, push ups (half value), and burpees (half value).  You flip one card, do a set of the exercise associated with the face value.  Try to get through as many cards in 30 minutes.

At the peak of my fitness then, I could get through all the cards in about 28 minutes.

Now I do the elliptical (but you are adverse to that), swimming (can be done at a local pool or unpolluted body of water), or yoga (I finally found a good class where I'm working hard during the class then feel super refreshed afterwards).

Lowfoam

Oh shi-

Let's get fit together, people.

Right now Lowfoam - as some people know - is a pole dancer. This means on Thursday, Saturday, and Sundays, I don't do anything other than pole class because doing something before it is suicide. Cardio, sure, but not weight. You have no idea how easy it is to overtax a muscle you never knew you had because you just tried to lift yourself up. . .

Source: I could not take off my own shirts for a solid week and had to have my fiance do it for me.

Sexy-taboos aside, several of our instructors are pretty buff for women and sport washboard abs and several other amazing muscle groups because they work it. But a lot of them say that doing pullups, chinups, whatever-ups at home can only get you so far because as Athena put it, "Sure, you get beefy lats. But there's some moves that require you to MOVE them in a certain way and that's a whole different beast."

So. Long intro aside, some fitness from Lowfoam:

I once weighed ~220+lbs but slimmed down to 145lbs. Bounced back up to (currently) 156 because what is portion control when you just come back from overseas for two years lol. I ate an entire pumpkin pie by myself and I'm not sorry.

As it stands, my workout routine right now is roughly this:

Monday: rest day
Tuesday: 40 minutes cardio / 20 minutes strength (arms+back)
Wednesday: 40 minutes cardio / 20 minutes strength (core)
Thursday: 40 minutes + 1 hour of dance class
Friday: 40 minutes cardio / 20 minutes strength (legs)
Sat: 2 hours of class
Sun: 2 hours of class (although 1 hour is a contortion/flexibility class so that just involves twisting myself into a pretzel).

I aim to eat ~1.3k calories a day.

My reward for eating clean this month is to get one or two cinnamon rolls from Cinnabon since it's what I've been craving hardcore for the month.
These are links I think you might find interesting:
  My On || Off Thread
  My One x One Thread

I wish that someway, somehow
That I could save every one of us
But the truth is that I'm only one girl.

Captain Maltese

New year, and like a zillion others I got started on a new round of fitness. Been adding a few more items every week so now my daily includes vertical situps, dumbbells, treadmill, barbells and straight situps. Now however I am doing something different as well. We had a mighty snowfall that turned my surroundings solid white, and I got a strange urge to try skiing again. Might not sound like a big deal but I haven't had skis on my feet in a decade. Even had to round up skis, poles and shoes from the nearest recycling shops since my old kit is in the snowed down cabin but I found what I was looking for. Hopefully we get a bit more snow again soon but I get a two mile walk (through flat-as-a-billiard-table terrain) by going to the beach and back. I have done this a few times now and this is having an effect; there are muscles hurting in places I had completely forgotten I have. The plan is to find a longer nearby skiing trail, but I will have to drive there. My current one allows me to put the skis on right outside my front door. While I don't get the weight training the indoor set offers, it IS nice to get fresh crisp air in the lungs. Okay. It isn't quiiite as strenous as the photo indicates.