Anybody else notice.....

Started by shooter6806, June 23, 2012, 03:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shooter6806

I noticed something odd yesterday and today.  I was attempting to respond to a PM and the site seemed to freeze.  I opened another tab and tried to open the main forum page.  Same thing.  No response.  I noticed it was precisely 4:00 PM CDT.  When the time clicked over to 4:01 the site loaded on the second tab and I got the "message successfully sent" page on the first.  Today the same exact thing happened at 1:00PM CDT. 

Don't know if this is a bug or a feature.  Just want to bring it to the attention of those in the know.

Thanks.
Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Izzie Aditi

+1 to this, though I don't recall the exact time.

I was going through my messages as well and the site seemed to freeze, so I checked downforeveryoneorjustme.com and indeed, it said E was down. Yet a minute or two later everything was up and running again. I figured it was just a hiccup?
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

OldSchoolGamer

I've noticed it too...though I wasn't sure if it was Elliquiy or Comcrap Comcast that was responsible.

Lord Mayerling

I've had the same issue twice today.

shooter6806

I just sent a PM to Vekseid about it.  As I said, I don't know if it's a bug, a feature, or something more sinister. 
Youth, exuberance, and enthusiasm are no match for age, experience, and treachery.

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms.  Should be a convenience store, not a federal agency.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse.... A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

Oreo

Yes, I noticed the little hiccups several times yesterday. They lasted for only a minute, but the pages wouldn't load. No server error message, just a blank screen.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

jouzinka

Personally, I notice this quite a lot, but half the time it's the connection between US and Europe that causes the problem, but it does happen that downforeveryone says for me as well that E is indeed down/unreachable
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on June 23, 2012, 04:37:35 PM
+1 to this, though I don't recall the exact time.

I was going through my messages as well and the site seemed to freeze, so I checked downforeveryoneorjustme.com and indeed, it said E was down. Yet a minute or two later everything was up and running again. I figured it was just a hiccup?
And it happened again just now. 10.56 am in GMT+1.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Izzie Aditi

Quote from: Izzie Aditi on June 24, 2012, 03:58:38 AM
And it happened again just now. 10.56 am in GMT+1.
Um, pattern much? It just happened again..exactly an hour after the previous hiccup  ??? ???

Vekseid

Hmmm.

Have just tried running the hourly scripts...

Will move ntpdate to daily for good measure and see if that helps.

Vekseid

Actuallies, could everyone who has these issues post how far the server's time seems to be off from their time (figure on the top left) if at all?

Oreo

Mine seems to be exactly the same time.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

jouzinka

Izzie Aditi

shooter6806

Vekseid

Just marking this. Seemed to occur at exactly 9:57 server time, lasting about a minute.

Edit: And every other site on the server was fully accessible. It's only occurring to Elliquiy.

Saerrael

I just had a time-out.
The difference between my local time and the time I have up here would seven hours (which is intentional, by the way).

I see you saw it, Veks. Ignore my post if you so wish. *was counting the hour difference between server time and local time* >.> What? I suck at math.

Vekseid

Yes it's the one I just posted about.

Nginx reports no requests or errors at all from 21:56:14 through 21:58:14
So a bit over 2 minutes.

Hrm.

Next time anyone sees this, try to access the root of the site - https://elliquiy.com/ as fast as possible, and hit shift+refresh. If it doesn't load, I'll know who the culprit is, at least. >_>

Saerrael

If I notice the next time this happens, I will.

jouzinka

Oreo

Yes it did. lasted about 2 minutes. I tried the shift refresh, but nothing happened. I couldn't get the home page to load.

shooter6806

Saw it too.  Ditto on the shift refresh.  This is not our imagination.  I PM'd Vekseid about it again.

Vekseid

It's nginx itself that's throwing a fit. Which is a bit odd, but we are on a two-year old version. A bit puzzled as to why the rest of my sites remain live, though.

Suppose should count blessings, there.

Izu

As for what I can access during the hiccups - everything but the forums works on my end. At one of the longer hiccups I checked E on the is-it-down sites - main site was up, forums said was down for everyone.

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

Serephino

It sometimes breaks for me when looking at the picture threads.  It freezes and won't load for several minutes. 

Oreo

That can happen because there is too much data for your pc to handle. I know when a post has more than about ten pictures, it starts getting jittery on my pc and it is a fairly fast model. It helps when people use the spoiler tags for large loads of pictures.

Vekseid

Okay, I saw it myselfs again.

The issue
- Only affects Elliquiy, usually. Did have it hit Blue Moon once, however.
-- This means if it's hitting both Elliquiy and any minor site, then it's either an actual server outage or an Internet hiccup on your end.
- It's all in the webserver, nginx.
-- If the forums are down and the root page is actually up, that can mean that either the forum or server is just being hit rather hard at that point. This actually does happen when the server is back to going live, takes it about 30 seconds to try to field everyone's requests.
- Restarting nginx seems to work? I need to be a bit patient, though, have to remember it can take a short while to rotate out processes.

Should probably just update the server to dotdeb releases, and hopefully it's a bug that's been fixed.

That'd be somewhat disruptive, though. Maybe next Monday morning.

For nows, just point out the times these disruptions occur, along with your timezone. I've turned up nginx's logging to 'TMI' level and hopefully will actually tell us something >_>

shooter6806

Izzie Aditi

It has happened to me 3 times today, once just now (6.21 PM in GMT+1). It seems to always happen around .21 past the hour for me ???  The initial page (welcome to Elliquiy) was up, just couldn't access the forums.

shooter6806

And I checked the down for everyone or just me site and it said E was down.

Vekseid

Nginx still not saying anything : / hrm.

Vekseid

Going to try upgrading the server's software in the near-term here. Until then there's no more need to post such noticed - but after I do please do >_>

Izzie Aditi

Go Veks, go Veks!

Wait, am I helping or distracting here?

Vekseid

Alright, I'm sortof wondering if this was being caused by what I fixed just now. It'd make a sick amount of sense : /

Please let me know if this happens again.