System-based TG Character Creation - Step by Step for Scrubs

Started by Schrödinger, January 17, 2010, 01:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schrödinger

While it's nice to have a slew of threads up for non-adult RP's, when you're  recruiting and non-approved newcomers come a-knocking, they cannot post in those threads. And because threads can only be posted in a few of these locations, perhaps character creation help for system-based up and coming games is best to be posted in one of the few forums unapproved members can post. You know, that Shoutbox can get ever so cluttered.

Depending on how much help people need on character creation for varying systems, this first post may change to provide links to useful posts or guides in this thread or outside.

Right now, however, I'm currently helping out Spectfade building up a character for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5. We'll be taking off from about where we left earlier in chat - best not to clutter the Shoutbox.

Proceeding from where we left off in the chat, the Fighter gets also one bonus feat. Just note that down, we will get to the feat selection a little later.

We can now look at the Barbarian class for his abilities. Barbarians gain the following (and we won't even have to look at proficiencies, due to your Elven racial ones and, none the least, those from you being a Fighter): Barbarians are illiterate, normally, but as you're also a Fighter, so your character has enjoyed a modicum of professional education, most probably including reading. You are, as a Fighter/Barbarian gestalt, not illiterate. As a Barbarian, you have Improved Speed. All your speed modes (or rather, just your overland movement), is increased by 10 feet as long as you carry no more than a medium set of armor, and while not carrying a heavy load (we'll get to loadage later when we get to equipment).

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]
[li]Plot ideas![/li][/list]

Slywyn

What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Schrödinger

One last class ability, which maybe is the most important one for a Barbarian: his Rage. Unleashing feral ferocity, he becomes more imposing, stronger, and determined a warrior, but also becoming more reckless, changing his abilities in the following fashions. This is, however, the straight-Player Handbook Barbarian Rage: the same book that provides rules for gestalt characters also provides rules for alternative forms of Barbarian Rage that may fit an Elf warrior a bit better than this standard Rage.

At level 1, you may enter a rage once a day. You temporarily gain the following adjustments to your ability scores while this rage lasts: +4 STR (+2 damage and +2 to to-hit), +4 CON (+2 hitpoints per hitdie, which is one, right now, for you, as you are level 1), and a +2 morale bonus to your Will saves. You also take a -2 penalty to your Armor Class while raging. Note that, at the end of your rage, your hitpoints that have increased return to normal - you may lose more hitpoints to keep you concious, or even alive, so consider this when fighting. While raging, you cannot use your Charisma-, Dexterity- or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate and Ride), nor Concentrate (obviously enough) or any other skills or abilities that require you to be patient and concentrated. You cannot cast spells, nor activate items that require a command word to be used. You can use any feat, except Combat Expertise, Item Creation feats, or Metamagic feats while raging. A fit of rage lasts a number of turns equal to 3 + your character's (newly improved) CON modifier. You may end a rage prematurely.

Either way, at the end of a rage, you lose your extra hitpoints, and are also fatigued (-2 penalty to STR and DEX, and you cannot charge or run) until the end of the given combat encounter. You can only enter a rage once an encounter, and only during your own turn down the order of initiative in a combat.

These are your abilities, so we can now move to skills and feats. Do you happen to have an idea what your character has been doing, or should be doing, as a very focussed warrior as he is now, skills-wise?

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

Well, as his name, at least, I decided to make him a blacksmith/swordsmith. I just like the idea of someone who can make/repair/fit his and his companions own armor without taking it to someone else, or paying huge amounts for it.

So maybe something like that. And possibly someone who carries one big two-handed like sword, yet has a hand and a half sword and a small shield for when it's needed.

If you know WoW, a Fury/Prot warrior. >_>

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Schrödinger

A big blade and a small shield will benefit greatly. But let's not quite get ahead of ourselves...

As a first-level character, you have access to a number of skill points equal to 4 times a base value + your INT modifier. This base value is determined by taking the highest of the two classes when gaining skills. Barbarians get 4 + INT mod skills a level, so you have access to no less than 4 times (4 + INT mod) skill points at level one.

You combine the skill lists of both the Barbarian class and the Fighter class, to determine how much training you have in these skills. Note those points down in your skills tab of your character sheet, under Ranks. However, you may only have your character's level + 3 in ranks in any trained class skill. Any other skills are cross-class skills, and you can only have half that amount in ranks. So at first level, you may have 4 / 2 ranks in class skills / cross-class skills. Note, however, that improving cross-class skills also cost two skill points per rank.

As a Barbarian/Fighter, your class skills are as follows: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Ride, Survial, Swim. Any of the other skills noted under your skill tab are cross-class skills. You may invest points over your class skills up to 4, and in your cross-class skills up to 2. When you're done, don't forget to include your ability modifiers' bonuses to your skills if your sheet doesn't do so automatically, as well as add your racial bonuses to Search, Listen and Spot.

This is a doozy, I suppose, but most skills speak for themselves. If you have questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

What is a list of all the things you can put inside the parenthesis for Craft?

Schrödinger

Clever! I almost forgot about that. Craft and Knowledge skills are seperated into differing specialities. For Craft, these are Alchemy, Armorsmithing, Basketweaving, Bookbinding, Bowmaking, Blacksmithing, Calligraphy, Carpentry, Cobbling, Gemcutting, Leatherworking, Locksmithing, Painting, Pottery, Sculpting, Shipmaking, Stonemasonry, Trapmaking, Weaponsmithing and Weaving.

...Quite a few skills, easily half of which never ever gets used by any player character, but that's an aside.

For a self-reliant weaponmaster, you could consider some training in Weaponsmithing, Bowmaking and whether using leather armor or heavier steel plate, either Leatherworking or Armorsmithing. However, consider building up and filling out other skills as well - it'd be a pity for the warrior to meet his doom at the depths of a seven foot deep pond.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

I did manage to put points in swimming. xD Though instead of a specialty, I decided on Blacksmithing. If he's going to repairing, fitting a menagerie of armor, it's probably better to have a basic understanding of metallurgy and crafting with metal than a particular specialty, though I may give him one or the other later.

Schrödinger

With your skills filled out, you have a number of feats to choose. As a first-level character, you gain one. As a first-level Fighter, you gain one from a certain list of feats. So, you get two, one of which being a so-called Fighter bonus feat. Feats enhance your ability in- and outside of combat, improving your viability skills-wise or with an enhanced repertoire of skills to use in combat, or while spell-casting. This is going to become a bit of a problem - the feats and their effects are, even while limited to the Player's Handook, quite numerous.

First, kindly provide me with all your ability stats - the full scores for your Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma. Some feats can only be taken when these are at a certain height (without the help of magic items!), while others can only be taken when you have a sufficient base attack bonus, character level, or even character species.

Second, tell me what you think you'll be doing with that sword. Simply choppy-chop-chop or a bit more dextrous swordsplay? Do you think you'll be thick into combat, or use your improved mobility and try and weave in between foes and move back out, as much as being a Fighter will allow you to?

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

16, 16, 13, 11, 8, 14. As it goes straight down on a sheet.

And if you've ever read the sword of truth series, Richard's I guess what you'd call a swordmaster. He follows the rules of the blade, and is "one" with blades at all times. His first rule is to cut. You don't waste energy. You don't fight an opponent his way. You cut. You cut towards your own strengths, and his weaknesses. Every strike does damage. There is no wasted movement, no stab or slash gone wide.

That's perfect, I suppose. But as close to that as I can get. Someone who's incredibly deadly with a blade, no matter the type, in their hands.

Though I guess when he goes into a rage and unsheathes that bad boy on his back, all that goes out the window.

Schrödinger

Pretty much  ;) I can only make some suggestions for feats, right now, but maybe they'll fit your playstyle. All these are also Fighter bonus feats, so that's a bonus (haha).

However, I would suggest getting that 14 in CHA into CON instead - it's another hitpoint a level, and you only have so many opportunities to improve these base stats, unless you're that set on a slightly higher Charisma. If you do change it around, don't forget to look at your modifiers in your saves and the skills.

Now, then, feats! First off, there's the Weapon Focus feat. It adds a flat +1 bonus to your to-hit with any one type of weapon. We can keep it open, for now, until we get to the equipment later. Weapon Focus, while weak by itself, opens up a slew of feats later on in your Fighter carreer, since Fighters gain access to feats that further improve their weapon focus' to hit or weapon damage. Note, however, that Weapon Focus is only applicable to this one weapon class.

Second, there's Power Attack. You trade in accuracy for brutal power. You may exchange as much as your base attack bonus from your to-hit, and this penalty becomes a bonus to your damage until the beginning of your next turn. Since you'll be using a big blade, probably two-handed, this is a boon: you add double your penalty to your to-hit as a bonus to your damage. As a Barbarian, who always gets +2 to to-hit when raging, you can just exchange your bonus from raging to your to-hit for straight-up 4 extra damage. And that's just first level.

Third, there's Cleave, which needs Power Attack as its entry feat. When you down an opponent with an attack, Cleave allows you to make another attack against an enemy in range right after the first attack at the same bonus/penalties to to-hit and damage as the attack that dropped the enemy.

Fourth, consider Dodge. While I prefer Mobile Dodge, this is not a Player Handbook feat. Dodge allows you to choose one opponent every turn. You gain a +1 dodge bonus to your Armour Class against it. It is another entry feat that opens up to feats like Mobility (bonus to Armour Class when moving through squares that may draw an attack of opportunity from enemies) and Spring Attack (move, attack, move again).

Personally, Power Attack and Cleave are great for Fighters at first level, doubly so for Barbarians that can manage to get two feats at first level (only Humans can, normally, since they get a bonus 1st level feat), but your mileage may vary.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

Then I think I'll try to get Power Attack and Cleave, and then try to get Weapon Focus next level or somewhere down the line.

And I did change around that point. xD

Schrödinger

Goodie. Also, yes, you get a feat at second level - Fighters get that!

So we have feats, we have skills. Check your first page of the sheet. Do we have everything, now? Are all your skills, cross-class as well, filled in, and do you have your attack bonuses jotted down? All your saves and the conditional bonuses (like the Elven racial against sleep and enchantment and the Barbarian bonus to Will when raging)? When you have, we can get to some extra rolling of the dice and equipment.

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

Nurse said everyone gets a Masterwork weapon, I think. "Just because she said so". And I have no attack bonus. I think. That's what it says, anyway. >_>

There's no Alignment or Diety, There's no HP, and nothing in that area, speed comes out to 40, I think, damage reduction is empty, base attack is empty, and all the attack boxes are too.

Schrödinger

Well, let's play fill in the blanks, first.

You are a first level Fighter/Barbarian. This is a bit of a redundancy: you get the best base attack bonus of both classes, but both the Fighter as the Barbarian use a so-called full progression for base attack bonus, or BAB. It is, from first level up to 20, as following. Yes, you get extra attacks starting from level 6 when you perform a full attack.

• +1
  • +2
  • +3
  • +4
  • +5
  • +6 / +1
  • +7 / +2
  • +8 / +3
  • +9 / +4
  • +10 / +5
  • +11 / +6 / +1
  • +12 / +7 / +2
  • +13 / +8 / +3
  • +14 / +9 / +4
  • +15 / +10 / +5
  • +16 / +11 / +6 / +1
  • +17 / +12 / +7 / +2
  • +18 / +13 / +8 / +3
  • +19 / +14 / +9 / +4
  • +20 / +15 / +10 / +5
You have bonus to your to-hit given by the governing stat for a given weapon. For most two-handed weapons, that is the STR modifier. Add that to your BAB for your to-hit.

Your HP, Hit Points, are governed by your Barbarian class from your gestalt. Barbarians are formidable foes, tough as hell. They're the only core class using the d12 as their hitdie. At first level, you get the maximum of that die, 12, plus your CON modifier, as your HP. After that, you either roll each level (roll + CON mod) for extra HP each level, or as the MzNurse, the Dungeon Master, signifies. This varies from DM to DM.

Speed is 40, but this is unburdened. Remember that most armor will weigh you down, and reduce your speed somewhat. Ask your DM for details. You are unlikely to gain damage reduction normally, especially this early; leave it empty for now, as some spells may give you resistance to damage temporarily.

Alignment signifies your bi-axial nature. Your nature is a given in the cosmology of Dungeons & Dragons - the forces of Good and Evil and of Chaos and Law are tangible forces indeed. Basically, if you're Lawful, you're generally a man listening to laws, especially the written laws of a state or community, and of the governing bodies there-of. You are by-the-book. If you're Chaotic, you may give a whole lot less about such constraints, going where your heart and desires tell you to go. That doesn't mean you aren't going to listen to a guard... just begrudgingly, or only when he's around. You're just more of a free spirit. Or you're Neutral - right in between. Good, Evil and Neutral in between that speak for themselves. Consider what your character is as a person. How does he respond to authority figures or how has he been brought up?

Deities are a fickle matter, since I'm not sure what gods the DM uses for her campaign. Ask for details, or leave it blank. While leaving it blank doesn't quite signify you being atheistic in the D&D multiverse, you're simply no particularly devout worshipper or servant of any one god. Most of the time, like Good and Evil, or Chaos and Law, the gods are very real powers: they inspire and empower their clerics and paladins to act in their name on the known world with spells, protection and favour, and their power is every bit as real as the steel they may wield.

Equipment. Oh dear. Well, I'd get to that, but here's where me being European becomes a problem. I suggest you wait up for yuna0417 or MzNurse to return and ask them for help, perhaps even here, so you can get suited up and equipped with a blade. Myself, I'll be heading off. Good luck with getting that character up, mate  :-)

[li]
Schrödinger's O/O[/li]

Slywyn

Alright. Got all that. I'll just wait for someone else to come alone. Thanks for all the help, Schro!