News:

Main Menu

The Witcher TV series

Started by Beorning, November 01, 2018, 08:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppr128sol

Geralt basically plays the role others expect of him- he always cares about others, which ironically is what gives him the epithet "Butcher of Blaviken" to begin with. He just doesn't show it much because pretending to be emotionless makes his job easier, and it doesn't really matter what he does, society will still treat him like an outcast regardless.
Well. Through the crucible for the moment. Let's see where this goes?

Tolvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqi-8kAMmM

So Netflix put out the official teaser. It looks massively improved, and honestly has me excited. This looks very faithful to the books especially, and in part the games(The appearance of Geralt is more in line with the games than the books/comics which were more Conan the Barbarian with white hair). His wig still looks slightly off in a few shots but this looks promising, we get to see some of the influential and important characters and does something I'm happy about, it doesn't portray it as Geralt being the only focus. The books and stories are often told from many perspectives, the Witcher stories are actually split a lot between Geralt, Ciri, Yen, and Dandelion, at times with other characters taking up the focus. It really shows just how much the creators love and know the books. Caville honestly seems to be doing fine in the role though I imagine at times it will be jarring especially hearing a different Geralt since we've gotten so used to one voice for years.

Formless

But here's the problem. They'll turn it into another fictional epic.

I understand how the political intrigue is interesting the Witcher world. But I do not look forward to a grand battle between nations. Why do show creators think that is important? And Witchers are supposed to be impartial emotionless bounty hunters. But it looks like we'll have ourselves a preacher with a sword in his hand.

I am not looking forward to this, yet I know I'll watch it intently once it drops.

Tolvo

The Witchers tend to show a lot of emotions in the books and even in the third game(It's an in universe thing that people believe Witchers are emotionless and the Witchers like that rumor despite them farting and drinking and joking with friends and loving and fucking), the books feature quite a few battles. These are things from the book so I'm not sure why that'd be a problem since they're faithfully adapting it? Political intrigue is pretty core to the books as is adventure and fighting monsters as well as people and governments. Geralt is not what I'd call impartial, usually he's hesitant then forced to choose and often he chooses his friends and family over the government and favors the north over Nilfgaard other than when he has to work for them. Much of the books the antagonists are leaders of governments and their agents. At least until we get to the stuff of the Elves from another world seeking out Ciri.

Writersblockade

I'm not familiar with the story, but based on trailer alone? I'm in.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!

Tolvo

I'd say my biggest worry from the trailer is honestly the CG. The Witcher monsters are mostly pretty doable with practical effects outside of the really big and faster and ethereal ones. I feel like they could really use more of the Jaws methodology with them, of showing only parts of them and glimpses rather than requiring the full body far away shots since I'm not sure they have enough of the budget focused on the CG to make some of the monsters look good. Kind of like how I think showing the hand of the monster in one shot(Likely a Vampire or Necrophage) looked pretty good but then the full shot of the giant spider looks kind of bad/odd. They seem to have it down regarding the environment though.

RedEve

The production values look good. I never expected them to match the amount of money HBO poured into Game of Thrones but based on the trailer alone, Netflix will have devoted a decent chunk of change to The Witcher.

So they must believe they have a potential hit on their hands.

It also seems like all of the whining about the Yennefer casting has silenced somewhat after the trailer's release.

Though I still think that the casting choice for Triss is rather weird. Supposedly she won't be in the first season that much so it might not matter anyway.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Tolvo

Sometimes I wonder if it's the game making the casting choices a bit harder for some. The games had some pretty good models and voices but weren't always too accurate to the character. Yen I think was fitting but Dandelion has an awesome design, even though books Dandelion is more like George from Seinfeld or the man in the drinking poison duel from Princess Bride(Can't remember his name). If you look at the old covers for some of the books and the old comics that aren't totally canon, these characters often looked pretty weird and radically different from the CD Projekt re-imagining. The books explicitly describe Dandelion as like a middle aged balding portly guy, though Geralt calling him immature and young still works since Geralt is round 100 years old.

Deamonbane

I'm just happy that Vilgefortz is getting some screen time. He was my favorite villain from the books, with Leo Bonhart, whom I haven't seen any casting for, as a close second.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Starcaller

I'm still cautiously excited for it. It definitely looks much better than I expected, but still a little off. I'm just hoping they're not gonna get preachy with it and turn it into some sort of cringeworthy allegory for [current year]. I'll definitely watch it when it comes out, though, but I'm hoping they'll release a second trailer before that, maybe something to give us a broader view of Geralt.

Tolvo

That will probably depend how closely they follow the books. If they closely follow the books there will probably be a lot of things that resonate with current politics. If they don't follow the books closely then likely you won't have to worry about commentary and allegory like that. The books were rather preachy at times, especially whenever Geralt or someone would go on a rant about one of the governments or the relationships of humans and non-humans.

Demeverett

And how did you like trailer? I think it won't be new Game of Thrones but it might be good. There are not that many fantasy TV series on the way so I hope this one will be enjoyable.

RedEve

I thought visually it looked decent. Not exactly up to GoT production values but people forget that HBO spent a crazy amount of money on that show, especially in the latter seasons, essentially more than any other network/streaming service ever spent on a TV show. I think Netflix spent a good deal too on their Witcher adaptation, but not GoT money.

Demeverett

You're right. Noone should expect from Witcher the same budget as GoT. Although as I can remember the first season of GoT there were really cheap tricks like cavalry charge in thick smoke. GoT got (:D) more money in later seasons.

RedEve

Quote from: Demeverett on August 31, 2019, 08:44:56 AM
You're right. Noone should expect from Witcher the same budget as GoT. Although as I can remember the first season of GoT there were really cheap tricks like cavalry charge in thick smoke. GoT got (:D) more money in later seasons.

That's why I specifically referred to the latter seasons.

Just the CGI budget for the last two seasons of GoT was probably higher than the entire production budget of a great deal of TV shows, both network and cable.

Deamonbane

Was iffy about casting Cavill, but now I'm genuinely looking forward to it.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

RedEve

Most of the casting choices have won me over with the trailer (I was mostly alright with Cavill but didn't like the actress they got for Yennefer).

The only exception go that is Triss, even after the trailer I think that character was woefully miscast. The actress still might convince me once the show gets going proper but unlike Yennefer, her look in the trailer didn't really win me over.

Demeverett

I agree. After trailer I also have only problems with Triss. I like that they are not inspired by the game. For example Ciri is really interesting and has nothing in common with game's Ciri.

And about Cavill. I've read that he is a huge fan of books and games and he understands Geralt. They even cut out many of his dialogues because he plays everything with facial expression.

CaptainNexus616

I would honestly say that since we now live in a Post Game of Thrones world, I can see a lot of fans migrating to this series to fill the empty hole that was left.

Like mentioned in an earlier post, it won't have the production value the later seasons had. However I'm sure the difference in charm the Witcher lore can provide will satisfy many.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Deamonbane

https://youtu.be/ndl1W4ltcmg

I'm actually genuinely excited for this now. Cavill has the signature Geralt Growl down pat. Actually thought that they got Doug Cockle to dub over Henry's voice :D

Beorning

Heh. You know, guys, being a Polish person who has encountered Geralt stories about 25 years ago, I feel mightily weird to watch this trailer...

It's a positive kind of weird. Still, it *is* weird :)

Starcaller

Okay, so, after the new trailer, I am absolutely on-board for this! Cavill nailed Geralt down very well it seems, and some of the things I was displeased with so far actually seem much better now!

Beorning

I admit I can't get over how... rectangular and handsome Cavill's face is. It's not like I've read that much of Witcher material (just a single collection of stories...), but I've pictured him a bit different. Closer to the Żebrowski version or how he looks in the PC games...

Starcaller

The one big complaint I still have is the freakin' Nilfgaardian ballsack armor. Like, how do you create that monstrosity, look at it, and go "Yup, this is good.". Like, it's not even monstrous in the sense that it looks dark and menacing, it just looks absolutely stupid. What did they hire for costume design, a monkey with brain damage? A five years old could've drawn something better.

CaptainNexus616

There's something that's bugging me and I can't be certain on it.

Geralt's medallion.

I haven't read the books, so was it described as seen in these trailers? Similar to the game design? Or just left vague to the reader's imagination?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌