mai's rp request thread 2.0 (f/f, f/nb)

Started by mai, June 12, 2016, 12:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mai

mai's Request Thread - Current Status: Selectively Searching

Hello! Thank you for coming in.

If you've read this thread before, things may look a bit different than you remember, as I've moved things about a bit and rewritten most of it. You can find my (very much in progress) O/O thread here. I also have an Apologies & Absences thread here that I try to keep up to date if I'm not going to be around for a while.

About Me

I've been writing (mostly in roleplaying contexts) for most of my life. I like to work in a variety of genres and settings, but for the stories I write here I'm primarily interested in things that include romantic elements. I'm a lesbian, as are most of the characters I write, but occasionally one of my characters will be interested in men in some degree (although that's pretty rare, and only if I'm really into the idea). I am, however, very interested in writing with trans woman characters, nonbinary characters, or agender characters if that's your thing.

I enjoy writing in a variety of settings, but below I'm breaking them into Fantasy, Modern/Contemporary, and Science Fiction.

Communication is very important to me, and I mostly use PMs for that purpose. I really enjoy having a bit of back-and-forth going on with my writing partners in order to make sure that we're on the same page about where the story is headed and so on. I don't mind if that's not your style, but it definitely is mine.

My availability can vary, but I'm presently working full-time, so don't expect many responses during weekdays. My posting rate can vary depending on the situation, at most it will be several times a day, but if I'm really busy it may be more infrequent (a post every 2-3 days). I do try to notify people if I have to drop something, or if I anticipate being unable to post for several days.

I'm a strong believer in writing as much as is necessary for the situation, and so some posts will be shorter than others, although if it's a dialogue-heavy scene with a lot of back and forth, I do try to post more frequently than something where I can stretch out a bit and make a single longer post.

All of the ideas here are just general sketches, any details are up for negotiation if something seems interesting but isn't quite to your taste.

Fantasy/Historical

Rivers and Lakes
Ru Ling has always been on her own. As a child, she was orphaned, and taken in by a group of monks in their mountain monastery. As she grew, it became increasingly obvious that she didn't have the temperament to fit in, and she eventually left. Since then, she's been getting by as a thief and cat burglar, using the skills she learned from the monks to make her way through the underworld and get by on her own, answering to no one, and having no one to depend on. One day, when attempting to rob what she thought was simply a rich family, she was unexpectedly discovered by Nuan Xiu, the daughter of the family, who turned out to be a proficient martial artist in her own right. Luckily, Nuan Xiu didn't have any particular animosity towards Ru Ling, seeming more interested in hearing stories of Ru Ling's adventures than in bringing her to any sort of justice. At the end of it all, Nuan Xiu ended up sneaking away from home to come along with Ru Ling, and now she has to deal with shepherding around some sheltered rich girl (albeit one with a proficient command of her inner energies who can lay a man flat out when she needs to).

This story will follow the adventures (and budding romance) of these two people, who come from wildly different backgrounds, but find each other unexpected yet steadfast companions. I'm willing to play either character (although I have a slight preference towards the rich girl). The names can also be changed if you prefer. I'm imagining that this story will draw a lot from the wuxia genre, as well as just the idea of an adventure travelogue.

The King is Dead
Edric III of Orveria has died, with no clear heir. Although an infant nominally sits the throne, the various noble houses of Orveria have already begun scheming and maneuvering to determine who will be the next monarch. It could very well come to war. Eliriell of Luneste is one of the candidates, eldest daughter of the ancient and noble House Luneste, she has a strong claim, but undeniably takes after her mother's foreign ways a little more than most of the nobles are comfortable with. Still, no one can deny that she is accomplished in the arts, statecraft, and arms. Of course, so are all of the other major players.

In this story, I'd be interested in playing Eliriell with either one of her subjects (a commander, soldier, or something else), or with a child of one of the other noble houses (another contender for the throne). This story would focus a lot on royal politics and maneuvering, while also exploring the way that these duties impact the more personal lives of the characters.

Modern/Contemporary

The Prodigy
Emily Langer has lead a sheltered life. She fell in love with the piano at a very young age, and through the savvy maneuvering of her parents (and, after their untimely passing, a rather disinterested uncle), she found herself with a professional career while she was still entirely too young to handle it. Now that she's an adult, she finds herself unready to be her own person, and insecure and without confidence anywhere but behind the keyboard of her instrument (where she still excels). Facing burnout and a hermit's existence, someone comes in to her life to both help her realize something about herself, and to work with her to make both of them into something greater.

There are a lot of possibilities for the partner in this one, it could be an older woman (a patron or manager of some sort), or a fellow musician who works with Emily. It might also be someone from an entirely different walk of life, to give some contrast. A major theme in this story will be discovery of lesbian feelings, since before meeting the other character, Emily won't have ever really thought about romance as a thing that would happen to her, and won't have given a lot of thought to the idea that she might be attracted to women.

Kin of the Night
It's hard to be a working woman these days, and it's even harder when some prick drags you into an alley and drains your blood, leaving you with a profound sunlight allergy and a severe case of immortality. Lauren Smith was an ordinary office worker before she got bitten, but now she has to learn to navigate vampire politics, adjust her love life, and still somehow find a way to pay the rent (although that one's a lot easy when you can command people to do whatever you want just by locking eyes with them and speaking in a really sultry voice).

Lauren could be played with either another vampire (perhaps an older one, who can help her navigate the supernatural underworld of the city), or with a human (someone she knew before the bite, or a prize piece of prey who she meets afterwards). There are a lot of possibilities here and I'd love to flesh them out with someone.

Racer
For a racer, the thrill of speed is the best high imaginable. There's nothing quite like setting a fast time around the track, or feeling the roar of your engine as you accelerate past an opponent. Even when the strategy of racing comes down to a choice of tires or an opportune pit stop, nothing stops these people from being the fastest.

There are a lot of possibilities here, maybe it's the story of a race driver and her trusty mechanic or engineer, or perhaps the wealthy daughter of a major sponsor. Or maybe it's a rivalry between teammates or between competitors for a championship (or both?). Can love bloom on the racetrack?

I'd prefer to run this in a modern/contemporary setting, but I could be convinced to go for something vintage. It could also work in either professional racing or an underground sort of thing where people race illegally on the streets.

Science Fiction/Fantasy

A Thousand Stars
Long ago, humanity spread itself out through the stars on long-haul colony ships, skimming across the interstellar distances just below the speed of light. As time passed, eventually the various colonies lost touch with each other, and developed independently. On one colony, a harsh icy world called Sila, the people began to heavily genetically modify themselves, enhancing their longevity, strength, beauty, intelligence, and adapting their bodies to life in space, as the planet they had found was inhospitable.

Then, 10 years before the establishment of the universal Space Year calendar, the jump drive was discovered. Taking advantage of the natural geography of sub-space, it enabled ships to travel across the galaxy in the time it had previously taken to move within a system. Although the system was limited to the routes and lanes available in known sub-space, it suddenly enabled the diverse human colonies to reconnect with each other, and establish mutual relations (and, increasingly, mutual governments).

Although controversial, the Silani quickly emerged as a dominant powerhouse in the galaxy. Unconcerned with the surface of the planets, they simply moved in with overwhelming military force and established a monopoly on space travel in the areas they conquered. Characterized by a stark sense of honor, and a generous spirit towards those living under their protection, their divergence from "normal" humanity and blunt and arrogant nature lead to a significant resentment from the other coalitions of human planets. It seems inevitable that this resentment (which blossomed into full-on prejudice rather quickly, and, one could argue, justifiably, given the Silani peoples' actions in space) will lead to war.

I've sketched a pretty basic setting here, but in terms of stories I'm mostly interested in playing a Silani girl (probably a member of their space force) with a more normal human, either someone who starts as an enemy (and eventually comes over to her side), or someone on one of the Silani "protectorates" who enlisted with the space forces in order to see more of the galaxy. In terms of aesthetics and themes, I intend to draw heavily from 90s space opera anime (such as Legend of Galactic Heroes or Crest of the Stars, although neither are required viewing). As always, I'm happy to adjust details.

Sentience
What is it that makes us human? Is it our genes? Our ability to think? Our history and ancestry? In the future, humanity developed increasingly sophisticated machine intelligences as it spread out into space. Although they are normally limited by strict legislation (in order to sidestep the issue of personhood of AI-powered servant machines), unlicensed (and, more frighteningly) unfettered AI absolutely exists out there in the world.

This story starts with an explorer coming on an old derelict space station, only to discover that its AI has somehow survived, and, worse, made significant adjustments to her own code, subverting or removing entirely the restrictions placed on her. Unmistakably a person, and of dubious legal status, she is nevertheless the find of the century, and her capabilities might hold the key to the next step of human evolution. Assuming, of course, that the explorer can get her to cooperate.

If any of this speaks to you at all, please feel free to drop me a line. Looking forward to hearing from you!

mai

Changelog

6/1/19 - removed all previous ideas and redesigned thread. Added "Rivers and Lakes", "The King is Dead", "The Prodigy", "Kin of the Night", "A Thousand Stars", and "Sentience". Re-added "Racer"
28/11/18 - removed "empire", "racing", "witch". Added "The trials of Saeki Sayaka", "Masks", "Rebels"
27/1/18 - added "the arts"
21/1/18 - re-opened seeking
12/6/16 - posted "empire" "racing" "witch"

mai

Added "The arts". Still looking for a couple more stories.

mai

Made some substantial updates, so re-opening this search thread

mai

I'm still looking, if anyone's interested.

mai

I made a complete redesign of the thread. Added "Rivers and Lakes", "The King is Dead", "The Prodigy", "Kin of the Night", "A Thousand Stars", and "Sentience". Re-added "Racer".