life in the hood (recruitment M+F )

Started by MythicalMorpheus69, December 14, 2015, 06:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MythicalMorpheus69

Me and Thufir_Hawat decided to run a game of city crime and inner city gangs in London, with TH as the co-GM.
“Life in da’ Hud” (tentative title) shall be a largely player driven game with the player free (at least for the time being) to prowl the streets in search of...whatever they might be searching for. It's a non linear style of play, not constrained by plot. (Don’t think this means nothing would happen until you act: it will. You just can decide what to do about it. Of course, anything you do can get you killed, including not doing anything…)
One restriction: you're all members of a gang, and the boss is played by me. TH is going to be playing an enforcer, but when not acting on the boss' orders (or when you all are working on the boss' orders), you're all equal.

The aim is to set up rackets, protect them, recruit, promote and eliminate employees, and then take over new territories with acts of sabotage and violence. Success in the game, apart from “did you have fun”, is measured by influence, reputation, income and the control of territory. Of course, this being a game, fun trumps almost all.
Still, in this game, you could run a loan shark operation, sell stuff (even stuff you acquired legally...), and do favours to paying customers (remember that’s different from doing favours to people of the ‘hood just because you like them, of course-but this helps with the reputation part).
And yes, that means you have to first know what a loan shark operation is. I can point you to free resources, though.

Remember: It ain’t all about being bad. Yo criminal should have a conscience that both redeems and destroys him at the same time. These characters are some of the most fascinating in popular fiction. The bad guy turned good who sacrifices his own greed and self-preservation for something better. It could be for love, friendship, a cause or just a line that he (or she) won’t cross.

We could discuss posting rate, but by all means, mention what posting rate you'd be comfortable with.

All that said, now I should ask the most important question.
Who wants in ?

this ad was inspired by 'dog town'
Mithic....

Thufir Hawat

I'm just going to confirm that I'm in on this and am planing to do my part :P.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

I was just thinking that I was itching for some gang-type action. What time period were you thinking?

And I need to say up front, I find myself in general posting more more slowly and infrequently than I'd like, thanks to Real Life and other issues. So if folks want a fast-moving game, I should prolly keep my thumbs out of it.
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Thufir Hawat

Hi, Nowherewoman! Glad to see you are interested!

Generally, we were thinking present day. It's easiest to find actual info for, IME.

As we said, the posting rate is up for discussion. It might well turn out that everyone else wants a slower game, right?
So, Nowherewoman-fine with anything but fast rate...
I'll add the others as they appear and tell us what they're fine with.

What kind of character were you thinking about?
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Couple of possibilities.

A tough, punked-out GF of one of the other members, steel toed boots, tats and all:

Fighter, troublemaker, probably has a mild drug issue

or

A more quiet, shy picklock/burglar:

A sneaker, not a scrapper, with a gift for getting into cars and first-floor flats fast and quiet-like.

Other possibilites are always on tap, but those are the frontrunners ATM
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

Thufir Hawat

I'd suggest that the pictures should be exchanged. Most fighters I know wouldn't put piercings if you paid them >:).

Other than that, I like both options. Is she looking for a PC boyfriend, or would you prefer an NPC? I think I can do something about the PC part :P!

Myself, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a fighter type, but possibly with less than assuming physique. I'm wondering whether I should add an early beer gut... ;D
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Not a fighter as in pro circuit, ring fights. The sort who'll blindside you with a roll of quarters in a sock. She's just a troublemaker and an ass-kicker. And no self-respecting punk would be caught dead without her ink and metal!

Besides, the second option's too light build to really be a scrapper, unless she studied martial arts.  And PC BF would be great, or otherwise, he can be in jail or something- leaving ehr even more pissed off than usual :D  Still kinda brainstorming, looking for something that will fit in well with the theme.

I could see her going for an MMA/boxer type, though.  The sneak thief's likely queer, or kindasorta asex.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Nowherewoman on December 16, 2015, 03:25:12 PM
Not a fighter as in pro circuit, ring fights. The sort who'll blindside you with a roll of quarters in a sock. She's just a troublemaker and an ass-kicker. And no self-respecting punk would be caught dead without her ink and metal!
A time-honoured tactic, but when it fails to win the day? You really don't want to be punched in the mouth. And it happens.

QuoteBesides, the second option's too light build to really be a scrapper, unless she studied martial arts.
Or unless she uses tools.

QuoteAnd PC BF would be great, or otherwise, he can be in jail or something- leaving ehr even more pissed off than usual :D  Still kinda brainstorming, looking for something that will fit in well with the theme.
Well, I could offer a boyfriend, then :P. Not sure about the MMA/boxer type. I was envisioning it more as someone with lots of experience, and not a whole lot of scruples.
You can say I'm torn on the kind and amount of physical conditioning my future PC would get. Almost anything else is done already. (Scottish, mother moved with him when he was young, had to fight because not everybody appreciated his accent, kinda hating school because of that...had run-ins with cops, you can guess the rest).

QuoteThe sneak thief's likely queer, or kindasorta asex.
Well, if she does her part for the gang, she's fine in my book... ;D
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on December 16, 2015, 05:42:31 PM
A time-honoured tactic, but when it fails to win the day? You really don't want to be punched in the mouth. And it happens.

If she were smarter, she wouldn't be in a gang ;D

As I said, still thinking things through, waiting a bit to see what other folks come up with. The pics, BTW weren't nec. intended to be final looks, merely 'she's kinda like this' placeholders.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Nowherewoman on December 16, 2015, 05:48:27 PM

If she were smarter, she wouldn't be in a gang ;D
Fine by me :P.

I'm also curious what other people would come up with. Personally, I'm just browsing old cases as inspiration for my character ;D.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Thufir Hawat

Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on December 16, 2015, 06:59:44 PM
No, just using Google ;D !

Aw. Here I thought we had a real expert witness on hand! :D

MythicalMorpheus69

I would suggest researching London gangs on YouTube ect... To have a look at some old videos from my own search YouTube for "London gangs DSN" im going to find some links to help people out as metal characters dont really suit this type of scene although a few acceptions will be made obviously such as a main character, glad to see some interest coming along though :)
Mithic....

Nowherewoman

I should have asked- are you going for a late-teens street gang sort of thing, or more a Kray twins OC sort of feel?

In either event, I think I'm going to go with my sneakthief, anyway.

MythicalMorpheus69

Its more of a mix between teenage/thugs and the Kraus, the gang is a ruthless group if thugs/killers/thieves but they have grown up since their hoodlum days and protect their community rather than terrorise it, although they still rob ppl ect but only people from other territories/communities. Also I like both of your character ideas id be happy for you to use either of them but if you choose the pierced fighter she would probably have to be the leaders girlfriend or somebody high within the ranks.
Mithic....

MythicalMorpheus69

Possibly thinking maybe a high ranking member but also in relationship with TH (second in command) if you already have something in mind please let me know as the part im explaining can still be filled by somebody else, any input is welcome at the moment :)
Mithic....

Nowherewoman

Quote from: MythicalMorpheus69 on December 20, 2015, 06:35:59 AM
I would suggest researching London gangs on YouTube ect... To have a look at some old videos from my own search YouTube for "London gangs DSN"

Most of the ones that get reported on, anyway, seem to be pretty heavily mono-ethnic, and almost entirely island/black. Of course, a punk/skinhead would have the exact same problem.

Quote from: MythicalMorpheus69 on December 20, 2015, 07:46:35 AM
Its more of a mix between teenage/thugs and the Kraus, the gang is a ruthless group if thugs/killers/thieves but they have grown up since their hoodlum days and protect their community rather than terrorise it, although they still rob ppl ect but only people from other territories/communities.

Vertical integration combined and a sense of noblesse oblige. Love it!

Quote from: MythicalMorpheus69 on December 20, 2015, 07:46:35 AM
Also I like both of your character ideas id be happy for you to use either of them but if you choose the pierced fighter she would probably have to be the leaders girlfriend or somebody high within the ranks.

Thanks. I certainly have no problem playing someone's GF (and quite a chore she'd be for the poor bastard, too), but I think I'll stick with my thief, since it'd let her have a somewhat more active role.

Of course, it's all academic if no one else gets on board.

RubySlippers

Any room for a Chinese girl trained in the martial arts (her mom thought it would keep her on track to be a good girl - failed) and is good at running gang business (likely knows lots of people being socially gifted to sell loot to and score drugs to sell - suggesting only marijuana and club drugs - to keep the Coppers off them) and sees whores on their turf gives them a cut the gang being their local security etc. Her IQ will be high and she reads lots of books so is such a disappointment to her parents she could have been anything.

Nowherewoman

Agyness it is- I use her for a lot of stuff.

character

Name: Tea (short for 'Althea', which she fockin' HATES) Walsh.

Build: Waiflike. Flat all over, which is an asset in her line of work- she can get in and out of very tight spaces, and with the right clothes, she can pass for an adolescent boy.  Her hair's usually a bit deliberately disarrayed, but if she combs it out quick and changes her clothes in a hurry (she always has a spare set in the 'gig bag' she uses to carry her tools and her bounty), she can appear to be another person entirely, at least at a quick glance.

Distinguishing features: Old, somewhat ragged scars on her l. forearm, thanks to a wee mistake with a window on a job some years ago. She also has a series of black thorn tattoos on her back, starting at her tailbone, and running about a 1/3rd of the way up- a new set for each completed job. Usually wears a heavy charm necklace, at least if she's not on a job.

Personality: Born in Manchester, Tea relocated to London when her mum remarried (her step dad's a drunken git, by the way). Soft-spoken, she obviously hasn't had time to lose the flat lilt of her birthplace.While rather shy, she's got an infectious giggle, and tends to be fairly cuddly with people she knows well. At the moment, she doesn't have any romantic arrangements that anyone knows about.

She did manage to stay in school, just, at least long enough to barely graduate, but had no real prospects for uni, so she drifted into a series of shite hourly jobs, until she found that boosting other poeples' junk was easier and more fun than working retail.

Not a scrapper in any way- she'd far rather scarper and vanish then get in a dustup- she does carry a short pinch bar with a tape grip with her as a 'just in case' weapon. She's been arrested twice since coming to London, once in a random street sweep, once on suspicion of robbery (not proven). 

Skills: Picklock, burglary, occasional dip (pickpocket)

Thufir Hawat

I vote for Agnes!

And now for my guy, provisional name Duncan McAlistair, "the fucking Highlander".
PC
Picture: Closest I found is "the guy in the back of this picture".
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/1/14/1295013166697/Neds-005.jpg

Physical description: he prefers to call himself "heavy-set". His friends know he's just starting early to get fat. He's been into all kinds of martial arts, but lately, he's into Wing Chun, which seems not to be helping with his weight...

Character: Duncan doesn't like talking. Some people think that's because he ain't got much between the ears. Others believe he just doesn't like talking to people. Yet others are persuaded he's smarter than most people that talk.
As with so many things in life, depends on who you ask.

Bio: He arrived from Glasgow when he was 9, with a mother and no father. At age 10, his desperate mother inscribed him into the nearby Shito Ryu dojo, because he was fighting too much: other kids were mocking his accent. This kept him out of gangs for, like, 2 years. Then his desperate sensei sent him back to his mother, 'cause he didn't exactly stop fighting. He was just doing more kicks now, and cops went to talk to the sensei...
His mother brought him to another school. He didn't get kicked out of the Judo/Ju-Jutsu place, 'cuz he left it for Wing Chun before his sensei was able to take that decision...
Meanwhile, one of his best pals was hanging with some weird crowd. But, they had money, so hung with them.
Then he learned how they made those money they were spending so readily. It took him some time to try, but then he was kinda enthusiastic.
Time passed. They grew up...or at least they think they have (society still thinks they're young adults, at best). They're now being more responsible.
But his pal, who became the informal - and later, the formal - leader of said bunch still needs someone occasionally. There are heads that need bustin', and in that case, Duncan is there.
Hey, they told him that the fastest way to learn using Wing Chun is to try it more in real situations! Admittedly, the guy who said this didn't consider that for some people "go try it for reals" is good enough as a plan. But he's said it nonetheless.
And he's always been a very, very diligent student. He was great in sciences, too...up until he left high school.
Whether he still remembers "natrium what" is salt, is up for guesses.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

MythicalMorpheus69

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 20, 2015, 08:31:04 AM
Any room for a Chinese girl trained in the martial arts (her mom thought it would keep her on track to be a good girl - failed) and is good at running gang business (likely knows lots of people being socially gifted to sell loot to and score drugs to sell - suggesting only marijuana and club drugs - to keep the Coppers off them) and sees whores on their turf gives them a cut the gang being their local security etc. Her IQ will be high and she reads lots of books so is such a disappointment to her parents she could have been anything.

Sounds good :) glad to see your interested and maybe search up a little on london gangs in the 21st century it may help to build your character style such as atire ect...
Mithic....

Nowherewoman

I know folks are still clearing away the holiday dust. But was there a recruitment floor you guys were going for before starting this one?

Thufir Hawat

My general idea is always to start with three players and the GM, while allowing other people to join later, if they felt like it.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Nowherewoman

Sounds good!

Yeah, yeah, patience. How long will THAT take?
-Ed Gruberman