Shoutbox Length

Started by Xillen, May 07, 2009, 07:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xillen

Is there an option to increase the number of visible lines in the shoutbox, or perhaps make a small part of the archive public.

The SB tends to freeze up a lot. If I refresh it about a minute later, then my last visible line is already off the top, preventing me from reading any replies to it.

Trieste

It goes inactive if you don't click on it for a certain amount of time, but if you click and keep your cursor in the text box, it scrolls like it should.

Xillen

If a certain amount of time would be 20 seconds, then you're correct.

And it's not the scrolling that's the problem. If you open a new page, the SB is like 8-10 messages long. If you didn't manually refresh the SB for a minute or so, that means your messages are off the page, and you don't know if someone replied to them.

Trieste

... yes, so instead of relying on refreshes, you click in the little white bar under the shoutbox. The little blinkie cursor in there - not to mention talking in there - keeps it active, nixing the need to refresh.

Xillen

That's the problem... It will still stall often, without informing me.

By the time I'm aware that it stalled, I have to refresh, and then the messages are gone.

ShrowdedPoet

I don't have that problem.  It runs very smoothly for me.  It may be your computer or internet acting out.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Xillen

I have it both at home and at work, using different versions of windows, different operating systems and different providers.

Trieste

Yeah, sorry, Xill. I don't have that problem either, so I'm thinking it's probably on your end.

Xillen

Can having multiple Elliquiy windows open have anything to do with it?

Trieste

I don't think so. I often keep multiple windows going and have no problem.

It might be some sort of flood-control on your browser settings?

Xillen

As I said, I've been using different browsers over different internet connections, so I can't see how that has anything to do with it.

Trieste

Well, it's a common problem between your two computers you're using, so they must have something in common... even if it's just something weird with the scripting.

Xillen

I have multiple computers at home, using different OS'es (though they all use Firefox nowadays), and multiple computers at work (I work at different locations, so they have different internet connections as well).

Xillen

Hmm, POSTING in the SB seems to reactivate it, without having to refresh the page.

Gotta test if this will wipe the old lines in the SB, not enough conversation going on right now.

Vekseid

It doesn't. The reason the default load is set so low is because it gets hit on every page load, which for people with slow connections is a bad thing. Ideally it would be a variable but that also falls under the heading of 'work on own CMS'.

Xillen

* Xillen would have a suggestion, but knowing how most people consider frames something of the past... :P

Xillen

I did keep my eyes on the stuff for a while, but if you click in the white bar to refresh the chat, it just pastes the 10 most recent lines at the bottom. You would still miss a lot of lines this way, so it's just as useful as refreshing the page.

Trieste

I just went and double checked.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/chat/

You can make use of that, and from what I understand it scrolls better. Apparently loading the search is the resource hog, but the chat itself is all right for normal use.

Xillen

Cheers for having that cleared up! :)

*Minimizes forum SB*

And I get more forum space out of it! :D

Trieste