Halo: A shot in the dark

Started by Gladiator0161, August 18, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladiator0161

Ok, modified my post and posted with Gladiator! :)

Next! :P

Sushi

"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

ashia starstreak

I won't be posting til after Hunter. *munches on an orange* Just don't wanna seperate my group with different posts. I can NOT wait til summer, we are so close I can almost smell the campfire.

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Gladiator0161

That's gonna be a problem cause I've posted with Gladiator and Sling already, and Hunter will be tied up with university stuff for the time being.

He's left me in charge of his character until things calm down for him... I know I can write his character but, as I've already posted I'd feel like I was hogging the thread if I posted again. :/

So, could you go ahead and post with Shana in response to Sling Ashia, and then I'll post for Sling and Hunter in my next post.

Sushi

I haven't been on recently, so forgive my absence. How is life for you all?
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Gladiator0161

I'm doing relatively well, thanks. :)

Just got home from a weekend with my mom's sister, her family, and their crazy cat, which was a lot of fun, lol. I love Missouri, it's so pretty up there.

Unfortunately, I still can't think of anything to post for Hunter's character. :(

Hunter Phoenix

*Swings in looking awesome*

Hello there my fellow Spartans and other soldiers, I bring glad tidings from the battlefront. All of my deadlines have now come and gone and I am free to rejoin you battle hardened people in the glorious destruction of the Covenant.
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

Sushi

Gladiator0161

Awesome! Glad to have you back dude! Sorry I wasn't able to think of anything for your guy though :(

Hunter Phoenix

It's all good, already posted :p

Hunter Phoenix

I know that I have been absent for quite some time, but I feel like I just need to mention this now that I am done with Uni until September :)

Within the second year, we start to focus on our preferred profession within the games industry, and while many of the other guys want to focus on their artistic skills with either digital drawing or 3D modelling within programs such as 3D Studio Max and utilizing programs such as UDK and Unity, I want to focus the majority of my time on becoming a Games Writer.

It is exactly as it sounds, I effectively want to be the guy that writes everything for games, from the character biographies and back stories to the descriptions that show on items so that the player knows what they can be used for and how they can be applied all the way back to writing the back stories for entire worlds and civilizations and their histories. It will also mean that I need to practice interactions between characters in terms of dialogue a lot more as well as Games Writers often have a hand in writing the script for games as well. So give me plenty of dialogue to practice with if the posts allow that kind of thing :)

Of course I can't just sit in a studio and write all day, even though that would be totally awesome, so I will likely be working on my 3D modelling because even though I found it time consuming and frustrating to the point where I nearly punched my computer, it is a good skill set to fall back on.

Sorry for this rant, I just felt like sharing a little bit of my plans for the next few years with you guys as we have become quite a close group and I think it is neat that if things all work out according to plan, you guys could be reading my work as you play games in years to come :)

Sushi

Doing what you want to do as a career is so much win o:

Gladiator0161

That's awesome Hunter, and sounds like loads of fun...once you get it all down to where you know everything like the back of your hand ofcourse, lol.

I'd so nerdgasm if I had a chance to do that stuff xD

Hunter Phoenix

I was definitely happy to find myself on a Games Design course haha

ashia starstreak

That sounds really nice Hunter. I love what I do and that really helps make the day go by faster. I've decided not to get Internet and instead I ended up with a new cell phone. I went with a touch screen and hopefully I won't have freezing problems when posting. I will test it in my next posting. Also my Internet on here isn't watered down so now I can see all of the font colors, any posted pictures and avatars. I was telling my boyfriend that I feel like a rich kid from our high school because it's an apple. Humorous being we were the only bus from the ghetto and everyone else was richly rich.

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Gladiator0161

Hey Ashia, glad to hear from you again, lol. Seems like forever since our group last spoke to each other on here, am I right?

Glad to hear you'll still be able to keep up with the thread Ashia :D New phones are nice and I'm so jelly that you have a touch screen! My phone's still a dinosaur by comparison, lol.

Vengurd

I've been meaning to post this for a while now, I've thought it over quite a bit.

I'm sure some of you have figured it out and some of you have been told by Gladiator a while back; I will not be rejoining this story.

There are several reasons for my decision to leave. One being in the poor state I have left Patric, despite which I had planned several different possibilities to get him back into action, albeit not as well as he'd prefer. The damage was extensive and anything short of getting him to someone who had previously helped nurse him back to life and was there for all the little procedures would leave him missing a few functions. None the less, a hospital, machine shop or even meeting someone who had at least peripherally been involved were all part of my various plans.

Unfortunately that won't be happening. I had even intended on writing a last post, taking Patric out of the city and to some medical area to be worked on.

The second reason being, one fine day I had popped on to read the ooc and catch up on the roleplay when I had found the post allowing weapons and gear from Halo 4. To me, that was a major killer. I literally lost any interest and intent on continuing to wait for an opportune moment to return to the story. I just don't like creating giant time paradoxes like that. Custom gear I can live with, I'll even come up with some on my own, but when gear from later on is allowed when they shouldn't exist....I don't like doing that sort of thing.

Rather than make a fuss of it after the fact, which is exactly what I would have been doing, I decided it would be better, easier to simply slide off and let things be. I'd rather not act like I think someone else's roleplay has to pander to my preferences and its all about me.

The third reason....there was a lot of real life issues cropping up, making it very difficult to focus on any one task. Drama was everywhere and too many F's were given those days. Essentially, someone who was told could not decided to move in and force their way of life on everyone in the house. It was not pretty and in the end someone had to be left behind as we moved to another state.

Life is not easy sometimes.

That said, I still enjoy coming back here and reading the story from time to time, its progressed nicely, though work on the plot might be a good idea. Well before Patric was so beat up, nearly everyone involved focused on character growth and interaction- which is good, very good, not many roleplays have that, but at the same time the plot has almost suffered. My one request as an old participant would be that the plot be moved up a notch, even if its just one jammer being dealt with in the next twenty posts, it would be progress. Again, I'm not going to act like this needs to pander to my preferences.

All that said, I'll continue to spectate, I might even return with a new character. This however, frees Patric up for any other Halo topic that crops up, and should that happen, I'd enjoy roleplaying with all of you again. The quality of writing I've seen here is enough to give me faith in human creativity and in roleplaying in general again, which is something I need as I start as new roleplay forum and have recently returned from nearly retiring from roleplaying.

Take care all, there is so much I'd like to say, that I planned to say but I had to start writing this cold so much of what I had planned is currently out of my mental grasp. Should I remember it, I shall return, if not, I'll continue to spectate.

Sushi

All said and done though, I don't think anybody would have minded cutting out Halo 4 weapons - given throughout the series, most weapons were the same functionally with small tweaks for game balance.

I think so long as we communicate our wants and desires, we can get things done pretty well in an RP like this.

Hopefully we can work things out and you'll give the RP a second chance - if not, I hope your IRL issues work out for the better and you find equally fulfilling RPs wherever you do go!

Gladiator0161

I admit, the weapons thing would bug me more than it does if I hadn't just had the idea of the weapons from Halo 4 being prototypes, and prone to malfunctioning at this stage. And, I went back and added that into the original post where I suggested the idea (on the 25th page).
Hopefully that will work for anyone that has issues with using Halo 4 weapons in this thread, and if it doesn't, we can always take them out.

I'd rather lose the weapons than lose players :)

Vengurd does have a good point about plot progress, and we really do need to move on. So, I will look over the story thread and see who's in line to post next. I think it's Ashia's turn but, idk for sure.

In my next post, or anyone that wants to incorporate this idea into their posts, I'll have that the Marines, and Army grunts were able to find and destroy a couple. That'll clear up the coms a bit and allow us to do more than what we have been. Also, since this current chapter is called "Recuperation and Retaliation" we'll plan on getting everyone together again, since we're so spread out, resting a little bit, get our characters fed somehow, and then move out into the city to do what needs done/find the reason for the Covenant's presence in the Big Apple.

Last but not least in the slightest sense, I am really sorry we're gonna be losing you Vengurd but, I'm not completely surprised by your decision as we've talked a little over hotmail and Skype in the past. I'm sorry to hear that it's final now though. I hope that your life gets back in order and that you'll come back into the story, however. You're a great writer man, and I really liked writing with you the few times I had the privilege of doing so.

And ofcourse feel free to drop in anytime you feel like chatting. :)

Hunter Phoenix

Gladiator0161

Lol, it's mine xD

Sorry it's taking me so long. This stuff with Microsoft and their new Xbox console has been distracting me, and work has been leaving me drained.

I'll try to get something up this weekend.

Hunter Phoenix

Fuck the new xbox lol pile of shite that it is, even with them going back on their stuff to make it so that people don't hate them XD

Gladiator0161

Those are my feelings as well about the Xbox 1 (*sarcasm* great name btw considering it's the 3rd in the line of Xbox consoles, don'tcha think?) but, I might give them another chance if something besides the 5th Halo game grabs my interest, which they're just naming "Halo" btw...  -_-

When I heard that I was like "really? What the hell's wrong with Halo 5?" I mean, from the looks of the trailer, they're not revamping the earlier games and they're sticking with the Promethians. So, wtf?!

And then there's the whole Master Chief now inexplicably is wearing a cloak in the desert thing...*facepalm* What, is the MJOLNIR armor spaceworthy but, weak against sand?!

HALO 5 E3 Trailer: Halo 5 - E3 2013 Trailer - Xbox One

Anyway..I've been replaying the ending levels of the games today to get myself back into Halo writing mode, lol.  Hopefully I have something in mind in an hour or so.

Hunter Phoenix

I imagine the main reason he is wearing a cloak in the desert is because, well, it's the freaking desert and I can see it getting mighty hot in there without some sort of cover to keep ya guarded. It would also likely act as a barrier from the majority of the sand that is going to inevitably get in those chinks in that armor and either rush him up or slow him down with the additional weight and stiffened joints.

I'm also really quite surprised they are changing the title to just Halo, but then I stopped playing Halo before 4 came out because it looked terrible and the few things I had heard about it made it sound mediocre at best. I think it's getting to the point now where they are going to either kill off Master Chief and bring in some sort of new storyline, or just close the franchise down, because milking it for all it's worth is just beginning to be a bit of a drag.

I was amused to learn that Microsoft had done a 180 spin on their DRM policies and internet shit to keep people connected to the internet, but I can see why they are doing it because they did take a hell of a lot of flack from those announcements, they weren't happy to back peddle and just give another console out to the world, but there ya go, they just didn't do things the right way around to pull it off, sure they lost some brownie points by taking away some of the advantages the Xbox One had to begin with but that had to happen because they couldn't just leave things. Unfortunately the damage seems to be done and the PS4 will triumph over the Xbox no sweat.

However, thanks to Nintendo being the sneaky devils that they are and unleashing their 3DS and the Wii U on the world early, they have the advantage of not having to worry about consoles and they can just focus on the games for them instead, which is definitely working in their favour when you consider there is a new Smash Bros Brawl for both of them along with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Link to the Past 2 coming out, along with the Year of Luigi, it's pretty exciting times over at Nintendo headquarters while Microsoft and Sony squabble in the proverbial dirt like children.

If you ask me, Nintendo have this in the bag, with Sony and the PS4 coming in second, leaving Microsoft in the dirt, covered in it's own urine when it wets itself because the Xbox One fails hard.

Gladiator0161

Lol, I love your imagery Hunter xD

While I don't agree with your view on the later Halo games, I can respect it. In my opinion the games are just getting better. Bungie gave us a teaser with the armor abilities in Reach but, when all is said and done, Bungie just didn't do enough with the Halo universe, or the story. Not to mention the mechanics. Halo could be the top game for a long time to come if the game designers ever get their heads right, and from the looks of Halo 4, I think they're headed in the right direction, in thanks in no small way to 343 Industries.

Personally, I'm glad 343 has taken over and Bungie was kicked out. Bungie was lazy when you really look at the early Halo games, good as they are. The controls were too simple, the story really didn't tell you anything about the universe, it didn't give you any kind of backstory for the UNSC, and it didn't even touch the real reason the Spartans were made to begin with, which had to do with the Insurrectionist Wars and fighting other Humans. I mean, in the first 5 games (Halo 1-3, 3 ODST, and Reach), you couldn't even run, and that's a basic ability in most games.

I completely agree with all the stuff you said about the scrap between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft really is laying in it's own piss right now but, atleast they saw reason, late as it was. Anyway, I'm gonna wait and see what they come out with, and those are my feelings about all that crap, lol.

I posted a little bit in the thread but, I am extremely tired from the last week, and yesterday. So, I'll try to finish it tomarrow, or maybe later this evening if the writing mood hits. A friend of mine suffers from Fibromyalgia (dunno if I spelled that right, lol), and he had a particularly hard time yesterday, so he asked me to keep him company. So I did. We watched a couple movies and by the time I got home last night it was a quarter to 1 in the morning, lol. 

Hope you all had a good weekend btw :)