What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on June 05, 2015, 06:45:52 AM
sadly Vladimir ain't going to stop supporting them and sending troops and materal into ukrane as long as he thinks the rebels have a chance of breaking away and joining the russian federation, and the Ukrainians dispite being out manned and outgunned have sort of planted their feet and manned the barricades so to speak. This isn't going away any time soon.

*edit*

I shouldn't get involved in this particular debate anymore. Apologies.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 05, 2015, 10:31:13 AM
Depends, were they wearing the appropriate clothing? Or walking around in a banana hammock?
Nope. Doesn't make a difference. Taking up too much space is the offence. Google "manspreading", or see here for the specific incident.

Just more cops trying to fill an arrest quota, I suppose.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Cycle

It isn't just NY.  http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/17/us-usa-transportation-manspreading-idUSKBN0KQ01120150117

Basically, there are people who are inconsiderate of others in public spaces and some of the powers that be are taking action.

This really seems it shouldn't be necessary--if people just behaved properly.  Really, how hard is it to not be an asshole?

eBadger

Quote from: Beorning on June 05, 2015, 10:22:39 AM
I just head an interesting tidbit on the news: apparently, two guys riding on the New York underground have been arrested for spreading their legs too much!

Have you guys heard about it?

Snopes calls shenanigans. 

QuoteThe scant information included with it suggested that the men were possibly arrested not for manspreading, but for arrest warrants already active at the time they came to the attention of the NYPD.

So, yes, the police do have other things to do.  Apparently involving donuts or beating minorities, but I digress....

Beorning

Quote from: eBadger on June 05, 2015, 11:57:38 AM
Snopes calls shenanigans. 

Ah. Interesting... Thanks, eBadger.

Now, if only the guys on TVN24, Poland's biggest news television bothered to do fact-checking on such things before airing them as news... *grumble grumble*

Oniya

Partial shenanigans.  It turns out that these two guys had outstanding warrants for other misdemeanors (fine-level crimes as opposed to 'jail-level' crimes) such as public urination.

http://gothamist.com/2015/05/28/manspreading_crackdown.php

For those outside the States, 'Broken Windows' is a term referring to the idea that if you let small things slide (like having broken windows on a structure), then people will think those 'small things' are okay, which contributes to the overall decay of an area (if one broken window is okay, let's throw rocks and break the other ones).  Basically, if these guys had kept their court dates for peeing in public, they would probably not have made the (electronic) paper.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

So, it seems that they weren't arrested for "manspreading" at all...

Okay, another interesting thing that made into the news over here: in Britain, a new advert from Yves Saint Laurent has been banned for using an unhealthily thin model. Here's an English-language article on that matter:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/03/yves-saint-laurent-ad-ban-underweight-model

Personally speaking: about time! The models are very thin these days. And that particular one seems obviously anorexic...

BTW. My older sister is a big fan of Anja Rubik. I can't understand it - Rubik is unhealthily thin, too, IMHO...

Oniya

I want to say that France may have actually passed a law regarding that.  I'd have to do a little research, though. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

eBadger

Ugh...I'm into the svelte look, but the model in that ad looks disgusting.  Holocaust pictures come to mind. 

QuoteIt said YSL indicated that it did not agree that the model in the advert for Saint Laurent Paris was unhealthily thin

...right. 

Honestly, I think a significant portion of the backlash against thin models is an excuse for being overweight or simply out of shape.  I've seen several women that I would define as spectacularly fit called rather horrible things, while others that were less thin but more...pillowy?...and obviously in poor physical shape described as healthy.  I think the one thing that's certain is that society doesn't have a very good notion of what a healthy woman should look like. 

Beorning

Quote from: eBadger on June 05, 2015, 12:36:28 PM
Honestly, I think a significant portion of the backlash against thin models is an excuse for being overweight or simply out of shape.  I've seen several women that I would define as spectacularly fit called rather horrible things, while others that were less thin but more...pillowy?...and obviously in poor physical shape described as healthy.

I disagree. In my opinion, there is a serious problem with the female body image the modern fashion industry is promoting. This one model from the YSL photo didn't come out of nowhere - we got this kind of photo, because, for years, the fashion industry has been telling us (and the models) that being thin is great. It leads to such nightmarish photo shoots like that one... and, of course, to countless young women falling into eating disorders.

Oniya

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/03/france-models-body-mass-index_n_6999244.html

I was right - France, Spain and Israel have already enacted measures regarding this.  I think the Israeli idea of requiring a doctor's checkup is probably the most sensible, although I don't think that the BMI should be used to determine that.

Dashenka

I'll probably get a load of crap for saying this but what's wrong with using a thin model?

In all honesty, everybody has to agree that generally speaking a thin model is more of an eyecatcher than a big size model. I think the model in the YSL advert is too thin as well, but let every company decide for themselves which model they use.

This isn't something about just models, this is something that goes a lot deeper. Cheerleaders, race chicks, athletes... they're all misses perfect, why can't a model be? Why do we need laws saying what a model should or should not look like?

Let society decide what is acceptable and what is not. If everybody is saying the model in a certain add is too thin, that says a lot more to the company than any stupid law made by a government.

Just my two cents..

eBadger

Quote from: Beorning on June 05, 2015, 12:43:33 PM
I disagree. In my opinion, there is a serious problem with the female body image the modern fashion industry is promoting. This one model from the YSL photo didn't come out of nowhere - we got this kind of photo, because, for years, the fashion industry has been telling us (and the models) that being thin is great. It leads to such nightmarish photo shoots like that one... and, of course, to countless young women falling into eating disorders.

It's an issue, certainly, and one that needs a better solution.  Personally, I think we need to focus more heavily on muscle tone than waist size. 

But I also see things like this:

...and don't get me wrong, I'm all about love whoever you are.  But I also realize that being fat is as unhealthy as being too skinny, and it upsets me to see the extreme of one countered by the extreme of the other, particularly when I constantly see professional athletes at the peak of their performance derided for being 'too thin' or falling into the same grouping as Kate Moss.

An interesting read here:  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/02/08/are-models-too-thin.html

I don't agree with it's stance on models (that they are disciplined v. unhealthy), but it does make some good points regarding their social impact. 

QuoteArguably, the "size zero" debate is merely another side of the infantilized, hysterical box women thought they had clawed their way out of a century ago, an insidious means of suggesting that though we can run companies and governments we're still not quite rational creatures, too dainty and delicate to cope with the dissonances between the Bambi-limbed aspirations of the catwalk and our own wretched, cellulite-smothered carcasses.

QuoteEating disorders, we are told, are on the rise, ready to grab the gut of any vulnerable teenager who spends too much time dreaming over Vogue. Except, actually, they're not.

The South Carolina Department of Mental Health claims that one in 200 American women suffer from anorexia, as opposed to the American Heart Association's statistic of 39.4 million women suffering from obesity. So that's half a percent against 34 percent.

Quotethe rhetoric of the eating-disorder lobby insultingly blurs the difference between harmless faddiness and genuine disease.

I think that second quote really lands my point.  That, despite all the panic that we're being overwhelmed by unhealthily skinny images to emulate, the trend is that we're doing exactly the opposite.  If skinny models are going to make us all obsess over being skinny, we apparently need more of them. 

Dashenka

It all begins to sound a bit like that the people who stay healthy and work hard to stay skinny are really at fault and that people who make no effort, have breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonald's get all the symphathy.

I work hard to stay in shape but when I show my body on certain websites, I get commented on because I supposedly do it all to show off. yes, I do it to show off, because I'm proud of it.

When did become being skinny such a terrible crime? Those models decide to stay skinny, others decide to get fat. Each their own. (I know some people really can't help it...)

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: eBadger on June 05, 2015, 01:35:40 PMAn interesting read here:  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010/02/08/are-models-too-thin.html

I don't agree with it's stance on models (that they are disciplined v. unhealthy), but it does make some good points regarding their social impact. 

That's not very scientific. It switches from "eating disorders" to "anorexia" whilst pretending nothing happened (bulimia and binge eating are also eating disorders, so that was purely written at best and deliberately misleading at worse) and anorexia is more of a mental disorder than obesity, so you cannot really compare the two. People tend not to get fat because of fat models, they do so because of a lack of exercise and a poor diet, rich in sugar and fat.There's no reason we cannot treat both simultaneously. You don't treat the obesity epidemic by hiring skinny models, you do so by regulating the companies that produce our food and the supermarkets that sell it and raising awareness on the importance of exercise and a better diet.

Zakharra

Quote from: Dashenka on June 05, 2015, 01:21:53 PM
I'll probably get a load of crap for saying this but what's wrong with using a thin model?

In all honesty, everybody has to agree that generally speaking a thin model is more of an eyecatcher than a big size model. I think the model in the YSL advert is too thin as well, but let every company decide for themselves which model they use.

This isn't something about just models, this is something that goes a lot deeper. Cheerleaders, race chicks, athletes... they're all misses perfect, why can't a model be? Why do we need laws saying what a model should or should not look like?

Let society decide what is acceptable and what is not. If everybody is saying the model in a certain add is too thin, that says a lot more to the company than any stupid law made by a government.

Just my two cents..

A large part of it as many see these models as being too thin. Unhealthily so. There's a reason they are compared to Holocaust survivors. It's not healthy for people to be -that- skinny. All they are is a living walking mannikin.

Dashenka

Quote from: Zakharra on June 05, 2015, 06:41:08 PM
A large part of it as many see these models as being too thin. Unhealthily so. There's a reason they are compared to Holocaust survivors. It's not healthy for people to be -that- skinny. All they are is a living walking mannikin.

I agree with that but I don't think the solution is to have oversized models, which in most cases isn't healthy as well. So yeah, the one in the middle is the only way to go but let everybody decide for him/her self what they find acceptable or not. We don't need laws for that.

TheGlyphstone

Of course, where the line falls between 'plus-sized'/healthy and 'oversized' is going to be subjective...even outright obese people can still be reasonably healthy otherwise.

Dashenka

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 06, 2015, 02:57:10 AM
Of course, where the line falls between 'plus-sized'/healthy and 'oversized' is going to be subjective...even outright obese people can still be reasonably healthy otherwise.

All the more reason to let society decide what is acceptable and what not. I'd find an obese woman modelling a bikini equally disturbing as a very skinny anorexia woman.

Oniya

If clothing manufacturers would go for models that were 'middle of the road', that would be fine.  'Definition' should not be referring to bones.

By the way - this woman has been labeled as 'plus sized' by the fashion industry.

Cycle

WTF?  That woman looks normal.  Perfectly healthy and normal. 

I so don't get this...

Oniya

Quote from: Cycle on June 06, 2015, 09:44:43 AM
WTF?  That woman looks normal.  Perfectly healthy and normal. 

I so don't get this...

My point exactly.  And yet her picture came up first when I googled 'Plus sized model'.  If the fashion industry claims that this is 'plus sized', then they are telling the public at large and women in particular, that this is somehow 'larger than normal'.  When it isn't.

Beorning

And that's why I do believe that the fashion industry has a problem...

consortium11

I think that's one of the issues with the term "plus sized"; it covers everyone from her (Ashley Graham) to Tess Holliday. While I actually think Ashley Graham is slightly on the big side of things (take this photo for example) there's still a massive difference between her and someone like Holliday. It becomes even more apparent when people like Whitney Thompson end up labeled "plus sized".

Oniya

This is why I think the 'doctor's clean bill of health' would be a good standard.