Interest in Sci-Fi GURPS game

Started by Hannibal, February 02, 2006, 01:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannibal

Would anyone be interested in a science fiction game using GURPS 4th Ed? It would be a spacebabes in peril style of game with an all female crew exploring the vast reaches of space. The basic premise would be that humans have just discovered interstellar travel and the race to discover another habitable planet has begun. Several projects have been funded and the players are the crew of one of them, competing with less savory rivals.

The crew maybe the first members of humanity to encounter aliens and discover many of them find something desireable about earthling women. Much probing with instruments and tentacles may ensue ;)

More seriously, the game will not just be an alien sex romp. That will just be one aspect, along with problem solving, delicate negotiations, blaster fights and other deeds of derring do! Most of all, I'd like it to be light hearted and fun sci-fi romp without getting too hung up on hard science and strict rules :)

What I would be looking for in players would be some familiarity with GURPS, a fine sense of fun who don't take their character's too seriously and an open mindedness about the sexual situations that they might encounter. Being ravished by aliens of all shapes, sizes and genders is to be expected  ;D. However, the game is not about me doing what I like with the characters. Such events will occur in a situation that will further the story. There will be just as many opportunities for the characters to do the capturing, ravishing or seducing.

A typical adventure might be. Discover a planet that looks unihabited by intelligent life. Land and investigate and get captured by wicked aliens who enslave the crew. While the aliens have their wicked way with the characters one of them discovers they are susceptable to a particular chemical human wome excrete during an orgasm or have some other weakness. Taking advantage they escape and free the other slaves, fighting off the chasing aliens in a firefight. Rallying the other slaves they are then strike back against the alien slavers to free all their slaves from oppression and rescue their captured ship.

That's the general idea. Anyone interested?
Happiness is a choice!

Ons and Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5492.0

Vandren

How much of a requirement is 4th ed?
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Hannibal

Downloading and familiarising yourself with the free version of GURPS Lite is enough. You can find it here:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG02-0004

Having some idea of how to create a character is the most important thing ;)
Happiness is a choice!

Vandren

Quote from: Hannibal on February 02, 2006, 01:40:33 PM
Downloading and familiarising yourself with the free version of GURPS Lite is enough. You can find it here:

http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG02-0004

Having some idea of how to create a character is the most important thing ;)

Oh, I've been playing GURPS for 15+ years now and would jump at the chance to do a GURPS game here (no matter how busy, or free, I am).  I just don't particularly care for 4th ed.  :)
"Life is growth.  If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." -Morihei Ueshiba, O-Sensei

Hannibal

It'll be 4th Ed as I my 3rd Ed rulebooks are the other side of the world. What's your objection to the new rules?
Happiness is a choice!

Vandren

Quote from: Hannibal on February 02, 2006, 03:35:23 PM
It'll be 4th Ed as I my 3rd Ed rulebooks are the other side of the world. What's your objection to the new rules?

Beyond the "if it ain't broke" position?  The changes to attributes, for one thing.  The change to languages, while interesting, doesn't strike me as the most effective means of dealing with them (I've seen, and written, better player/GM created versions).  And several other things that I won't take up space here, and get way off the thread's track, to ennumerate.  :)

Faolan

Allow me to disagree with Vandren. I think 4th ed. is an excellent revision of the rules. The changes to attributes in particular were needed. DEX and INT were too overpowered before. As far as languages are concerned I thought it was an excellent solution to the language issue. It's simple yet elegant, I honestly don't know why it was never thought of before.

Vandren

Quote from: Faolan on February 02, 2006, 10:01:49 PM
The changes to attributes in particular were needed. DEX and INT were too overpowered before.

I really didn't want to sidetrack this thread any further, and gave up the practice of arguing game systems years ago (it's pointless and based solely on opinion), but had I not done so, I'd point out that while I've heard this argument leveled several times, in 15+ years of playing GURPS, I've never seen any evidence that it is anything more than a myth or theory.  Maybe I've been "lucky" in the players I've hung out with, seeing as I've never seen anyone "abuse" the theoretical problem, but given that I've had 40+ GURPS playing partners in that time, I doubt it (and at least 5-6 of those were power-gamers too).

Faolan

Well I've been playing GURPS since '88 or so, moslly off and on the first few years admittedly, so I am not totally inexperienced myself. In my experience, which I will totally admit is my own and noone elses, equal points spent in DEX and/or (mostly or) INT as opposed to STR made for characters that would consistently whoop the STR characters butts(7 or 8 fights out of 10). Especially DEX. I think these new rules really give a reason to play a tank as opposed to a panther as far as warrior types go.

That's not to say that I wasn't very very happy playing GURPS for many years. Even third edition was the best gaming system produced by any game company IMNSHO. I just think 4th has definite improvements that were worth the extra effort.

As far as I'm concerned the only game system that comes close to as good is White Wolf's original World of Darkness rules. Followed by the original Star Wars RPG rules.