Werewolves: New Blood

Started by Valerian, April 15, 2010, 03:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

The little village of Smith's Folly seemed perfect.  Nestled near woods and a stream, with rich land, it seemed to have everything the new settlers needed, and they all happily set to work making themselves at home.  Surely the strange rumors they'd heard, about how those same lovely woods sometimes echoed with the chilling howls of wolves, were only tales meant to frighten around the fireside.  Surely nothing terrible could happen to anyone in such a restful spot...

• Albedo
  • AncientMaster
  • Ex68471
  • The Exiled
  • GeekFury
  • Lucius Cornelius
  • Maric
  • The Unholy Potato
  • VictoriaVale
  • Watari

"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lucius Cornelius

Well hello there, just want to know all off you.

As some of you may know,  i'm an ex-soldier, and now i 'm the smith in the town. any problems with your horses, take to me and i'll fix his horseshoes.

GeekFury

Evenin', I'd like to introduce myself if you don't know me already I'm the village woodsman, when logs and fire wood are needed I'm the man you need turn to.

Lucius Cornelius

well as a firs task i think we could build a shirne to our wonderful goddess  Valerian , who watch us in the sky.

AncientMaster

I'm the towns priest, while its important to honour the goddess i think we should build shelter first, then get onto the shrine we can hold the mass outside till then.

GeekFury

Well then, shall I off and cut us some wood for the building?

AncientMaster

sounds like an excellent plan brother

GeekFury

Well, I shall off to the forest and fell some trees for the project.

Albedo

I am the town hunter gatherer, I catch food so I can help feed this small developing town. I usually do most of my hunting early in the morning, and can be found dragging a deer carcass from the woods to my small shop to prepare the meat for everyone to eat. It's a pretty nasty job, but people do need their meat. I used to go hunting at night to catch nocturnal animals, but after finding some deer with their throats bitten out I realized that we might have a wolve infestation in the woods, so I'll play it safe and hunt in the early morning. If you guys need any meat you can find me at my shack and purchase some for a small price.

The Exiled

A young woman gazes upon her fields of seeding grain, worrying as any farmer should for the young crop in this sensitive stage of growth. Her clothing is plain and simple, and her features are of brown hair, and brown eyes. Some would say she is pretty, but others would say that she is rather dull. Her father left her to become a scribe, her brothers left her to become guards, and she was left to tending the fields and herding a flock of sheep that provided the town's necessary supply of wool. She was known to be a woman of few words, but she was known also to be generous and friendly, the kind of girl that would take a wounded stranger into her home and nurse them back to health.

Those eyes watch over her small flock of sheep now, with a worry that it would soon thin again for the crying of wolves in the distance. Learning to become a shepherd wasn't easy.

Ex68471

I load another armful of skins into the vat. I am the town's resident tanner/leatherworker, and ever since something shredded the skins I sctratched out to cure last week, I have been working overtime trying to replace them. The tannery has been in my family for generations, and with a little luck, that's where it will stay. I have no family at the moment, but I have high hopes that it will happen when needs warrant. That's the way eveything has always worked for me, things happen when they need to, and never before.

I work my way back to my house, which is a short ways from the tannery, and wash the tanning solutions from my arms. I change clothes and make my way towards town.
Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

The Exiled

Not much time would pass until the tanner would walk past the fields belonging to the young shepherd. She always smiled at him fondly, each day he would enter the village. There was a shy attraction in her gaze, and she secured the door to the pen, locking the sheep in so she could spend a little time socializing with other villagers.

Albedo

The Hunter Gathering stepped out of the shop wiping the blood from his hands after he just finished gutting the dear from this morning's hunt. He notices that it's a pretty quiet day in this tiny town. Nothing looked that suspicious. He watched the farmer and the tanner off in the distance but nothing looks out of the ordinary at the moment.  He walked back into his shop so he could prepare the meat for everyone for consumption.

GeekFury

The woodsmen walked through town to his shack near the edge of the woods, he had work to be done and it was best to get it done before the night fell. He was a slightly imposing man, tall, musculer, built from a life hauling logs and swinging axe, as he passed through the town he nodded at those he passed,his scruffy aubaurn hair shaking as he did, a happy look in his blue eyes. Yawning he scratched his hairy cheeks, wondering if the talk of wolves in the woods was rumour or something more..

Lucius Cornelius

As he heard the distant howls, he knows that the town will be in danger, well he usually do plows, but he  put wood into the forge and begin to  work, arrowheads and spear, they soon will need it.  So he begin to work on it.

Soon the sounds of his hammer can be heard in all the village.

AncientMaster

I travel up town to see the local smithy, I to have head the sounds of the wolves coming from the woods. I scratched my stubbly beard, my years showing as i hike up the hill. "Hello Lucius i see your preparing for the beasts, let me bless the weaponry you have built. I kneel and say a short prayer. "keep us safe Lucius" I run out, "I'll go tell the farmers to keep the animals inside"

I head out intho the fields and see the local tanner and sheppard talking "hey!" I waved from afar and walked up "i've heard the sounds of wolves in the woods, keep yourself safe children" I put my hands on your shoulders "will I see you at tonights mass"

The Exiled

The town priest was a surprise to the girl shepherd, but a pleasant one. She raised her staff in a quite greeting, and gave him her characteristically shy little smile. "I worry for my sheep, kind priest. Please understand if I must leave mass early this night. The Goddess is a good guardian, but I rest easier when my own eyes see to the safety of my flock."

Ex68471

I smile gently at the shepherd. She has always been kind to me, and has never seemed to mind the stench of the tanning vats. I wave amiably at the Holy Father as he approaches and listen to his warning and the girl's statement.

"I may need to leave early too, Father. Some of my leather was destroyed last week as it neared being fully cured, so I would like to get back and move some of it indoors. I have an order that must be filled, and if any more gets shredded that badly, I won't be able to."

I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

AncientMaster

"this is no problem my children" I touched both there heads and spoke a few words in the language of the gods. "May my prayers protect you both" try to make it, if you cannot i will understand. I wanved goodbye and headed into the village "oh it starts in a few hours" I called from down the road

Once i had reached the village i said hello to some of the children and the local potter, then met with my apprentice, "come now" i said, lets get started

The Unholy Potato

Near the center of the budding village, a merchant unbarred his window, sticking his head out and glancing around nervously before removing the bolts, locks and large oaken bar which he used to hold the steel-reinforced door closed. He might have seemed paranoid to his neighbors (and rightly so), but the young, slightly pudgy young man had improved massively since his departure from the city of his birth. His gradually shrinking waistline served as a constant reminder of the luxury he had left behind, but it was a welcome change for one so afraid of his fellow men. Here, he knew the business and intentions of all of his neighbors, and that allowed him to operate as a somewhat jumpy and skittish, but otherwise normal person.

GeekFury

The woodsman trudged past the shepereds field he stopped at the fence and lent on it, calling to those in the field. "Oi, any of you need some fire wood while I'm in the forest? Best I know now, I'm not going back in when the sun falls, never liked working in the dark." He leaned on the fence with a pleasent smile on his lips.

The Exiled

Being a shepherd meant being ever wary of predators and ways they would find your sheep. Even now, the shepherd worried that something would follow the woodsman's scent to the village. But she saw no point in being paranoid, and smiled back since he was a friendly villager. "There is no need for wood, but I can stockpile a little more if you are in need of wool for next winter," the young woman offered, clearly one to share the spring clippings she was patiently sheering each day. No one outside of the village ever was given such a good trade, and it stood to reason people approached her in the season of her harvest to get the freshest product.

GeekFury

Noded at the question. "Aye abit extra wool would'nt got a miss, gets cold out in my shack." He took back to his walk to retreave his axe, a mans work was never done here.

Lucius Cornelius

exit from the blacksmith.

Rejoice my fellow townsman !!!! i have finish the weapons. if something happens we will not be helpless.

Valerian

Slowly, the sun sank over the little village, and the residents gathered up their tools and ended the day's work.  Wishing each other good night, the town grew dark and quiet as one by one, the villagers fell asleep.  And if anyone stirred at hearing the distant howls of wolves, no one's rest was seriously disturbed.

But the next day brought a shock.  A farmer, a quiet young man by the name of William, who lived on the edge of town, was found dead, torn to pieces as though by an animal -- and an animal of exceptional strength and viciousness. The rumors flew through the town, everyone whispering that the stories must be true, that werewolves must haunt these fields and woods.  Now the villagers would have to act, to defend themselves, and try to keep themselves safe for another night.

• Albedo
  • AncientMaster
  • Ex68471
  • The Exiled
  • GeekFury
  • Lucius Cornelius
  • Maric
  • The Unholy Potato
  • VictoriaVale
  • Watari

There are 6 Villagers, 1 Guardian, 1 Seer, and 2 Werewolves.

[[Note: Now everyone needs to vote for someone to lynch.  After that vote is decided, the chosen player's role will be revealed and we'll move on the first true night phase of the game, when the guardian and seer can choose who to guard or spy upon; and the wolves can select their own target.  I usually use an NPC for the first victim, to let everyone get the chance to play a little longer, so this isn't quite the usual way of starting.  After this, though, it will be the standard day/night cycle.

For this first vote, most of you will have almost nothing to go on, with only the two wolves knowing who their ally is, so this first choice is always pretty random.  Please copy me into any PM conversations you might have, and remember -- be very careful as to who you decide to trust.  The game is afoot!]]
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Watari

Death! she thought. A death in our village? It cannot be!

She ran out of her cottage, towards the scene of the crime, and immediately turned away. The body seemed to be torn apart into many pieces, and there was blood everywhere. She glanced around the group of villagers that had gathered, and saw that suspicion in their eyes as they all started to mutter and whisper to each other. She knew that this death would cause much chaos, and did not want the town to turn on itself. I should say something--do something

But what?

She took a deep breath, gathering her courage, "We must find out who is responsible for the death of our friend." she said, in a shaking voice. She knew that she was but a seamstress, and her word did not count for much in the town, but she felt the need to continue, "If anyone has any information about how this happened, I urge you to come forth now!"

The Unholy Potato

The young merchant would be slow to emerge from his large, stone-brick and even once he did, the fear on his face was palpable. Nonetheless, he eventually joined the crowd which had gathered to observe the grisly scene. He seemed thoroughly unsettled by the remains, but thoroughly inspected it anyway, if from a distance, clearly hoping to find something. He eventually turned away looking disappointed and rather green, and wandered off for a short time, perhaps hoping to find some salve for his ill-settled stomach.

It was the seamstresses's cry that caught his attention once more, and he turned back to the huddle of villagers. The bravery which she demonstrated impressed him, and a for a moment he cursed himself, wishing that he could have been the person to make such a brave request. Then, the familiar warmth of his cowardice settled upon him, and he dismissed such a ridiculous thought. Still, he could at least offer his help.

"I will admit that I know nothing of this affair except that I feel that it would be foolhardy to attempt to act before more is understood of what is going on," he said nervously, glancing around at the others. "I would urge others to do the same, for now."

The Exiled

The cries of another female villager rang clearly in the shepherd's ears. She was started and ran out of her home in nothing but a cloth nightgown, holding her father's sword in both hands, as if half expecting a monster devouring her sheep. But they all remained in the pen, unharmed but strangely nervous and gathered as far from the scent of the slain villager as they could gather in the relative safety of the confined space. She panted with the effort of being so started, and lowered the sword now, stepping quietly to the edge of her property to get a better view of the woman who had shouted such frightening things.

Those strong, brown, shepherd's eyes already gazed upon the villager in accusation, as if she suspected the shouting was in all too obvious defense. The strewn remains of William, a kind neighbor and friend were at the seamstress's feet, and the shepherd spake in a tone so harsh for herself, even as she shook from the adrenaline of waking to these cries, and half expecting to fight for her life and her flock. Her hair, in its unruly state, shook in her anger for this death. "My only information is that the guilty dog barked first."

Ex68471

I ran into town at the sound of a female's shriek and pale at the grisly sight before me.

I fight back my gorge as I back away slowly. I never could take the sight of gore, that's why I let my brother take the family's butcher business and started a tannery.

Keeping my eyes averted from the carnage before me, I join the crowd.

"I can't say much, I generally sleep like a log." I step closer to the shepherd girl. "But if she says she heard it, then I'd believe her. Nothing better than a sheepgirl's ears for keeping track of wolves." I spit the last word out with disgust.

GeekFury

He awoke to the scream even at the edge of the forest he culd hear it and with a shot he was out his door, grabbing the axe at his door as he went. By the time he arrived there was a crowd and he stood at the edge of it. "Whats happened? I heard a scream?" He panted looking at the faces of the village as he stood with axe over shoulder. He could feared the worse as he tried to look over his fellow villager to what they crowded around.

The Unholy Potato

The merchant grew even more perturbed by the reactions of his fellows, quickly bordering on panic. His shrill voice only barely made itself heard over the rising hubbub as he tried to suppress the quick-flying accusations before they became too heated to retract. "Friends, neighbors! We cannot let this madness overwhelm us. What has happened is terrible, but to act rashly now would only aid the forces arrayed against us. Please, we must wait and act with foresight and wisdom if we are to act at all!"

Albedo

The hunter emerged from the woods after hearing the screams. He had been out early hunting again, and found a mangled corpse of a deer. No Regular wolf would do this much damage to an animal. He thought to himself. He emerged from the woods and head towards the scream he heard. By the time he got there there was already a crowd of people huddled around the mangled remains of William.

"Oh no the wolves are attacking humans now?" He asked as he turned away from the torn up remains. "I've been finding torn up parts of dead animals in the woods for some time now, but I didn't think they would come into our village and attack us. Wolves don't usually do that. And they don't usually leave animal parts lying around as well. I don't know what could've done this I haven't seen a bear in these parts for years now." He scratches his head trying to look away from the bloody remains.

Lucius Cornelius

The blacksmith came out, a sword in his hands,
"brothers, sisters..
look at the size of his wounds, it was not a wolf who kill him, the ancient curse is over us, the bad omen are over us.
The killers are between us....."

he look around, looking their reacions.

Albedo

Looks at the Blacksmith.
"You believe one of us did this Blacksmith?" The hunter asks outraged.
"Why would one of us brutally murder William like that?"

The Exiled

The shepherd loses interest in the other villagers, and begins tending to her fields and her sheep. She has her daily chores, and they take priority despite the murder.

GeekFury

The woodsman seemed shocked but not suprised, he knew the rumours and it was starting to seem plausable. "Well when ya decide what to do, I'll be at my shack.. Axe in hand." He snorted heading back to his home.

VictoriaVale

Victoria watched from a distance as the other villagers huddled around the corpse of poor William. Having only arrived in the village a few days earlier, and with several flasks of wine as her only company, Victoria had kept pretty much to herself.  As she neared the group, the woman watched and observed the speculations and subtle insinuations fly... It was always the way when people got nervous, especially when there was a dead body to explain.

The Unholy Potato

The young man eventually withdrew from the huddle of neighbors, returning to the quiet and security of his home. Within a handful of hours, he reemerged, posting a small, neatly written note to the front of his door. It read as follows:

Friends and neighbors, though I am loathe to act with little other knowledge, I see no other recourse. I, personally, cannot believe that any mundane animal could be responsible for the carnage that we witnessed. William, though no sage, was a strong and canny man, and on the handful of occasions that I witnessed him encounter a wild beast it was the beast who fled in terror. To this end, I must offer my suspicion of the newest arrival to our fair village, VictoriaVale. This may seem like reckless xenophobia, but I would respectfully point out that before her arrival, we had never suffered any murders of this kind.

Please do not judge me poorly for this relatively ignorant action, nor believe me to be unshakeable in my belief. If the good Miss Vale or any other would wish to change my mind with information, evidence, or even pure rhetoric by which my mind might be changed, I welcome it.

Signed,
T. U. P.

For those confused by the effusive pedantry contained in the note, or even entirely incapable of reading, the merchant would explain. "Yes, indeed, I do believe that VictoriaVale to be the most suspicious among us," he stated, voice suggesting less certainty than his words would otherwise imply.

GeekFury

After reading the merchents note the woodsman snorted, silly man. He muttered to himself as he walked back from the store to hick shack. "Aye, right.. Myself I never trusted that AncientMaster fella seems to shifts. Aye AncientMaster seems more likely to be the killer, bloody clergy."

The Exiled

The shepherd seemed to feel calmed for having completed her chores, and yet, as her flock grazed, her eyes would only distantly watch the sheep as she kept her father's sword laced to the cord that kept her flowing robes modest, as if guarding her chastity more than anything. She would see the note left by the town merchant, and then hear the words of the woodsman, whose own thoughts were worth consideration. And yet, she could not help but cast her own opinion into the gathering, troubled especially for the accusations toward the town priest. "It was Watari whose actions were not witnessed that night, and it is she who discovered the body of William and cried out like a siren in her own defense. Who would wear a sheep's clothing so conveniently upon the rising of the sun, but a wolf?"

Valerian

Current voting:

AncientMaster (2) - GeekFury, Albedo
VictoriaVale (2) - The Unholy Potato, The Exiled
Albedo (1) - Lucius Cornelius
The Exiled (1) - VictoriaVale
Ex68471 (0)
GeekFury (0)
Lucius Cornelius (0)
Maric (0)
The Unholy Potato (0)
Watari (0)

Yet to vote: AncientMaster, Ex68471, Maric, Watari

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Lucius Cornelius

Look strange as albedo as he ask things the evident, a hunter asking about these wounds??? very suspicious.
he thinks that albedo is a bit guilty. he vote for him

Albedo

Upon more inspections of the body the Hunter didn't want to believe that one of his fellow townsman could do this. He really wanted to believe that it was a normal run of the mill wolf attack, but wolves don't usually kill something and leave their remains around. He eyed each of the huddled towns people. It could be anyone of them He thought.
Ancient Master He felt it had to be him, he never quite trusted that preacher.

VictoriaVale

Victoria smirked as she read the note attached to TheUnholyPotato's door, before a soft chuckle forced its way from her tight lips and a shake of her head. "Really now."  The woman rolled her eyes as she turned to the man. "Show me proof. Show me the weapon with which I supposedly tore that man apart. Show me the blood stained clothes in my possession... and maybe, just maybe then, I'll respond to your wild accusation with anything other than ridicule."  She spat with a venomous tongue while tearing the note from the door and tearing it into pieces and throwing them in TheUnholyPotato's direction.

"Am I the only one who thinks it strange that TheExiled, rather than work to get to the bottom of this crime, has drifted off to tend her flock, away from prying questions?"

The Exiled

Two fierce eyes met the note posted at the village's center, as it was shredded in an act of defense. The shepherd simply nodded, then, clearly feeling well adjusted to a change of opinion as the bits of paper fluttered from a breeze as the sun rose in the sky. "The merchant's written words are a shy warning, and I feel that warning is confirmed. William remains slain, but my sheep remain hungry and cannot feed at night. Even VictoriaVale would surely know that my livelihood is at stake if the flock falls ill from hunger, and is exposed most to the danger if they scatter upon the field to feed at night."

The Unholy Potato

"It is quite regrettable that you could not rebuff my thoughts with less vicious words. I might have been swayed, but I find it difficult to divert my suspicion elsewhere when your words have the sort of harshness I often see born of desperation. It will be a mark on my conscience should this be followed to its logical conclusion, regardless of your guilt or innocence," he told the agitated woman solemnly, managing to keep his nervousness temporarily in check.

"I would also note that none of us have truly worked to get to the bottom of this. Truly I ask you, what is there that any of us can accomplish? I do not believe that any of us have experience in the area of grisly murder, unless there is something which I am missing about one of my neighbors."

Watari

"I must admit that it pains me to accuse one of our own." the seamstress began, her voice shaking, "I don't think turning on each other is the right solution, but if I am to be overruled in this matter, I have little choice but to choose"

She glanced around at the gathered townsfolk, taking care to examine each of them in turn. "My vote shall be for The Exiled, for I find her avoidant."

Valerian

Current voting:

AncientMaster (3) - GeekFury, Albedo, Ex68471
The Exiled (2) - VictoriaVale, Watari
VictoriaVale (2) - The Unholy Potato, The Exiled
Albedo (1) - Lucius Cornelius
Ex68471 (0)
GeekFury (0)
Lucius Cornelius (0)
Maric (0)
The Unholy Potato (0)
Watari (0)

Yet to vote: AncientMaster, Maric

~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Ex68471

I slowly look from face to face, listening to the accusations fly like locusts in a plague. Thinking on the matter, carefully, I voice my concerns.

"I am loathe to make any decisions, while at the same time I am eager to do something. I wish that we had more time to investigate and make a solid decision, but..." I sigh heavily. "Since we are all voting on who to kill for something they may or may not have done, I shall cast my vote on AncientMaster. The priest has yet to show his face around here, and in my book that shows either guilt or cowardice. And he has nothing to be fearful of, excepting us killing him, of course."