News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sociolotron

Started by Vekseid, January 23, 2008, 01:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Has anyone tried this out before?

Lilac managed to get them to fix their affiliate program link, and, apparently, it's run by some pretty cool people.

Since most of our search engine traffic never joins the forums, I placed an affiliate link on the front page.  You can also click through here for it.

If we end up getting a lot of deep-linked traffic I might insert a custom banner or something.

The trial period is pretty inexpensive ($4, as I write this), so if someone feels like giving up a quarter of a pizza please check it out and post a review. : )

Sabby

wow... that looks fun. Too bad I can't pay...

Celestial Goblin

4 dollars is not entirely unaffordable, but...

Can anyone offer any insight into how the game plays?

Are the features they boast for real and working? And fun?

Are the players very annoying, seeing that the game allows not only PK you but also P-many other things?

And is anyone interested in entering this crazy world together, so we could watch each others backs?:)

King_Furby

I would try it if i could play something like that on my current computer.

But i am not sure really how well it plays or what the gameplay is like. The site didn't explain the game play well i think. Maybe there are some videos of it's game play on the net, that may give people another idea.

Nectura

I actually have a lot of knowledge about this game.  I started as a Beta tester for it over three years ago, spent some time as a Game Master and still keep involved as their forum Admin.  The request for link exchange between your admins and Socio's developer was how I found out about "this" world :)  I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have.  You can either post them here or send them to me via forum PM.

Can anyone offer any insight into how the game plays?

The interface is very basic.  It is not a full screen graphic game and there are plenty of games out there with graphics WAAAYYYY better than socio, however not many with the adult content.

Are the features they boast for real and working? And fun?

What features exactly are you asking about?  I can say that there is Permakill of a character (Granted it's difficult to get the right relationship but it is possible), sex, heiring, pvp, rape etc, are all realities in the game.  As for fun, that's relative to the player.  One persons fun can be another persons nightmare :)

Are the players very annoying, seeing that the game allows not only PK you but also P-many other things?

Every game has it's PITA's (Pain In The Asses).  Those that are annoying to the point of grief are dealt with by game staff.

And is anyone interested in entering this crazy world together, so we could watch each others backs?:)

I would be more than happy to enter the world with some that wish to learn.  I have taught many how to play and actually enjoy teaching.  I don't play regularly but since I am considered "staff" I still have an active account. 

Celestial Goblin

Ok, sounds nice. I played Cantr II, so I don't think simple graphics will intimidate me.

A few more specific questions.

How many players are typically in-world at a time?

Can you ride a horse? Tame pets? Hire NPC bodyguards?

Can you own a house? Build a house?

What weapons are available? Are there firearms? Are there weapons to capture enemies alive?

Brandon

Keep in mind I havnt read anything aobut the game so this question might already be answered.

Can you outright refuse to participate in some activities such as PVP, rape scenes, etc?
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Serenity Vixen

I would not be very likely to try a game that offers non-consensual rape. Sorry, but it is one thing to agree to participate in a story that contains those elements, quite another to be made to be a participant unwillingly.

Having been in MMORPG's in the past, this sounds like something that could become extremely annoying and problematical, and is a personal weakness of mine that I could not tolerate...
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Nectura

I'll do my best to answer all of the questions posted, if I missed one just let me know!

How many players are typically in-world at a time?

Like most games it depends on the time of day but it varies between 150 and 300 normally.  On a night that a social ball is being held, it can go much higher but that is due to a lot of two-boxers (dual accounts) getting social points on more than one character.

Can you ride a horse? Tame pets?

There are no animals in the game for the very specific reason of not wanting to promote or encourage beastiality.

Hire NPC bodyguards?

As for hiring NPC bodyguards, no but you could hire other PC's to be your guards if you wish.  Since the whole social and govermental system is run by the players, many of them hire PC's to be their guards so this is not unheard of.  The Prime Minister for example, always hires PC Bodyguards because just holding that position gives any player the ability to PK you, so they typically go no where alone.

Can you own a house? Build a house?

Own yes, build no.  There are a few different styles you can get, but they are all premade rooms in apartment buildings.  You can furnish them with items made by either yourself or other players, but not change the configuration of the structure itself.

Can you outright refuse to participate in some activities such as PVP, rape scenes, etc?

Well, yes and no....

There are three levels character type: Newbie, Casual and Full (PC).  PC is the highest status, no limitations.

Newbies and Casuals are invulnerable to attack and rape by a Full character ONLY IF they remember to keep their guard up.  Guard can manually be dropped to allow someone to "carry" you somewhere.  What some do not remember is once they have a hold of you, they can do what they wish with you.  You can try to struggle to get free, you can declare them as hostile but at that point, it is all about the mechanics.   Being raped by an NPC is also a possiblity depending on what your characters sex urge is and how satisfied it is.

When signing up for the game and agreeing to the EULA, it is understood that there is a threat of murder, rape, attack etc.  There is no official way to officially "opt out" of any aspect mechanically.  HOWEVER, what I have heard of players doing was just log off or walk away from the computer if they are grabbed in that type of situation.

In the over 3 years I played this game, I was raped only once.  If you read the forums for the game some will make it sound like rape is rampant, but it's not.  It's all about the circle you hang out with and actions you take.  Yes, there are some players that will rape/attack just because they can, and give it no RP value, but those you will be able to target quickly and get awayfrom.

Nectura

Keep in mind Sociolotron was created, all aspects, from scratch by ONE MAN.  It took him three years until he was comfortable releasing it.  The interface is not full screen graphics nor 3D.  If you ever played Ultima Online (UO) it is very similar to that.

Below is a link to a screenshot of my desktop with the game running.  What you see there is what you will see all of the time.  The only portion that changes is the top left as you move.  The menu's, inventory and chat box to the bottom are always there.  I have a 19' monitor set at a very high resolution so you're screen may look different depending on its size and settings.

https://elliquiy.com/elluiki/images/0/05/Socio_Screenie.JPG

The following link is to the actual online game manual.  It has a lot of screenshots within it as well as detailed information about the game itself.

http://www.sociolotron.com/sociomanual/frame_main.htm

Serenity Vixen

Please don't think I mean to denigrate the game or it's creator. I am sure it is very good... 
It's just the idea of having my character seriously raped without my consent bothers me a great deal, and is not a situation I would care to flirt with...
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Nectura

Quote from: Serenity Vixen on January 24, 2008, 11:27:02 PM
Please don't think I mean to denigrate the game or it's creator. I am sure it is very good... 
It's just the idea of having my character seriously raped without my consent bothers me a great deal, and is not a situation I would care to flirt with...

Oh no, I didn't think you were doing that at all!  I simply mentioned about the one man thing because I know with WoW and CoX out there, some expect all games to be full screen 3d etc

*picks up the kitty and nuzzles with her*

Serenity Vixen

*Purrs happily in Nectura's arms*

Brandon

Im gonna have to agree with SV on that. Any type of Non-consensual interaction like that makes me very uncomfortable and knowing that there is any chance that it could even be a male/male scene makes me shudder just thinking about it. Im sure the games great for some players but just the chance of something happening that Im very uncomfortable with is enough for me not to play it.

That said, Im sure theres a lot of people around thatll be into the game and I do wish you all the best of luck with it.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Celestial Goblin

Well, I'm probably sufficiently detached from my characters not to be discouraged.
But how about a few more questions:

Can you dual-wield weapons?

Is there a possibility to deliberately spread diseases, not necessarily sexual ones? Is starting plagues possible?

Can you let demons and other stuff loose to attack the general population while trying to remain hidden yourself?

Can characters lose limbs or take permanent wounds? Is it possible to have attacks aimed at severing a limb or otherwise inflicting a permanent injury?

Because huh... nevermind sex, this game could be fit for dark fantasy kind of fun... Starting a Cthulhuesque cult comes to my mind.

Nectura

Can you dual-wield weapons?

No, there are onlly two active fighting skills, Long Range and Sword.   There are a few types of weapons for each but they are each only one handed weapons. 

Is there a possibility to deliberately spread diseases, not necessarily sexual ones? Is starting plagues possible?

Yes this could be done, but may be difficult.  The illness can be so dibilitating to your stats, most people will scan you with a medical bicorder before interaction and warn you that you are ill.  Simply being in the same room can spread some of the diseases so it is possible with no interaction, but not as reliable.  Being a demon is the best way to spread disease.  They spread them just because they are demons, not because they have them.

Can you let demons and other stuff loose to attack the general population while trying to remain hidden yourself?

Well, you don't control demons really.  There are demons, and there is a hell, but the demons are actual PC players like you would be.  If the demon wants to come to London from Hell they would have to be summoned but the summoner has only a alittle power over that demon.  Not enough to actually physically control them.  Remaining hidden yourself is not possible.  There is no type of stealth in the game, you could wear a mask that would alter your name while it's on, but as soon as the mask comes off, you're real name is revealed.  Not only that, there are ways of finding out the real name of a masked person, most know it and use it.  (Had my virtual ass kicked by doing something bad with a mask on and having someone get my real name through this trick)

Can characters lose limbs or take permanent wounds? Is it possible to have attacks aimed at severing a limb or otherwise inflicting a permanent injury?

Attacks do not cause disfiguration to the actual avatar.  Permanent injury is also not possible incombat, once you are KOed (knocked out) you awaken with all limbs, no wounds one room over.

Now, permanent injury can be caused via surgery however.  Surgery isn't like you would think, it's just the use of a drug on another avatar.  Almost any surgery has the ability to cause permanent scarring.

Because huh... nevermind sex, this game could be fit for dark fantasy kind of fun... Starting a Cthulhuesque cult comes to my mind.

Actually dark fantasy was the driving focus behind it.  The Developer wanted it to be a place that people could live out their dark fantasies.

DancerTamara

I already play socio, so if anyone from here want to try it and wants help/companionship/hookup. let me know.

ZK

There is no Male/Male in Socio, it won't let it happen. *I tried*

I was also a beta-tester. The problems I have with the game are the usual bit. It was a launched ALPHA release.

No music, no sound, no real customization to characters, a lot of things with no information on how to work them are left, a lot of things are not implemented.

It was a nice idea, but sloppy done.

They do admit it and are working on a 3D counterpart.

But big rivals such as Second Life is going to give it a run for it's money.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

DancerTamara

There is indeed m/m in socio, I've done it several times.  I run a male character for fun in addition to my girls.

ZK

So they have changed it then? Nice.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Nectura

If you haven't played since beta you may have missed a lot of changes made.  There is still no sound and the interface is the same but a TON of additional content was added. only a few months before release