News:

Main Menu

Warhammer 40k Players

Started by Avi, June 29, 2010, 10:39:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

I haven't played in a number of years, and I never had much of a collection, only about 500 points worth of Tau Empire troops.  However, I would love to get back into playing 40k on a regular basis, and I was hoping that people here might know of a good way for me to find local gaming groups to contact?  Some website or something would be fantastic.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

GeekFury

Best idea, go to your local Games Workshop/Hoby Store/Gamer Store and see if they run games, best way to do it I find.

Chikannochichi

If you don't have a local GW, looks for general gamestores, or hobby shops. Even without a GW store, or even a store that carries GW materials, wargamers still are drawn to normal gamer hangouts, so places that sell games are great choices as well.

Hobby shops are a good place to look because they sell materials for terrain pieces and that sort of thing.

Meetup.com might have 40k meetups in your area too.

---

I have about 3000 pts of mixed marines and inquisition. but my true love is Necromunda. Now THAT is a hard game to find players for.

GeekFury

Quote from: Chikannochichi on July 02, 2010, 11:44:31 PM

I have about 3000 pts of mixed marines and inquisition. but my true love is Necromunda. Now THAT is a hard game to find players for.

Try finding people willing to play Warhammer Quest! It's like looking for a needle in a barrel of metal filings!

Chikannochichi

Quote from: GeekFury on July 03, 2010, 07:57:48 AM
Try finding people willing to play Warhammer Quest! It's like looking for a needle in a barrel of metal filings!

I know how that feels. I've tried. T_T

I want to try the game out, it looks like a lot of fun.

GeekFury

I played it like twice in High School and loved it before a friend kinda destroyed our group, which sucked as I was really enjoying the two games, pity the douche we had with us wanted to change his character ever 3 seconds. -.-

Silk

Look for the white dwarf magazines, they usually have a large list of GW stores and affiliate shops with their phone numbers and adresses towards the back.

HairyHeretic

Local GW store
Local gaming store
Local message boards
Large mailing lists / forums
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

GeekFury

Quote from: Silk on July 04, 2010, 04:58:45 AM
Look for the white dwarf magazines, they usually have a large list of GW stores and affiliate shops with their phone numbers and adresses towards the back.

Yeah White Dwarf magazine would be the best idea, they have the world wide list of GW and affliated stores in the back section, forgot about that.

Avi

I've gone to the Games Workshop website and looked into all of this.  There's an affiliate store nearby, as well as an official store, so I'll have to check that out.  I feel the urge to turn some Space Marines or Orks into swiss cheese with my Hammerhead. :D

Chikannochichi

Quote from: Avi on July 04, 2010, 11:46:57 AM
I've gone to the Games Workshop website and looked into all of this.  There's an affiliate store nearby, as well as an official store, so I'll have to check that out.  I feel the urge to turn some Space Marines or Orks into swiss cheese with my Hammerhead. :D

Avoid the Orks until you get the hang of your army and scrape all the rust off. The Orks' new 'dex is impressive and quite good against the Tau. But if you do, shoot the Bikers first.

HairyHeretic

Especially if they're Nob bikers with a doc giving them inv saves, and a warboss in the middle of them. Very expensive unit, but when it hits you, you'll know about it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chikannochichi

Quote from: HairyHeretic on July 05, 2010, 03:10:24 AM
Especially if they're Nob bikers with a doc giving them inv saves, and a warboss in the middle of them. Very expensive unit, but when it hits you, you'll know about it.

On turn 2 I've seen this exact unit rip through two squads of Kroot then advance into the Fire Warriors the next round, only to rip through them the next and then a squad of Broadsides the turn after that. And only in the Broadsides fight was any models lost.

HairyHeretic

I've seen them go through close combat armed marines about as fast. They're a seriously nasty unit.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Chikannochichi

At least in the second assault my marines would peel off a model or two. ;_; But I play a lot of scouts, and I mean A LOT of them, so my experiences may not be standard.

Avi

Like I've said, I've only got about 500 points worth of Tau at the moment (Two ten-man Firewarrior teams, a Shas'O Commander (2 Drones, a Plasma Rifle, and a Missile Pod) , and a Hammerhead), so I doubt I'll be running into any uber units unless someone really wants to throw all of their eggs into one basket.

Of course, if I end up in an alliance battle, with my Tau supporting another force, then that may be a problem.  I know I severely lack backup for the Firewarriors, but Kroot just don't seem all that effective for the kind of tactics I would use.  Perhaps Pathfinders, or Sniper Drones instead.

Paladin

Dude, put your kroot far out in front. Use them as speed bumps. Kroot are cheep, have high numbers, and if they are in woods even orcs have a hard tiome getting them unstuck.

HairyHeretic

Kroot, IIRC, are a bit of a glass cannon. They can hit hard enough, in H2H, but lack the toughness and armour to stick around for a prolonged combat. They're best used where they can destroy a target very quickly, or for harrasment purposes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Paladin

Or as I do, spaced far enough away in apocalypsed sized games where they make effective speed bumps in 5th edition.

I usually just play my nids though. Orcs actually run from bugs. :D Nothing like a Swarm Lord beating the crap out of said nob bikers and being backed up by 2 close combat carnifexes and over 200 assorted gaunts in the endless swarm datasheet. Yes Orcs will run.

Avi

@ Paladin: Yes, the 'Nids can be freaking terrifying in the hands of a proper player.  My friend used them when we used to play back in high school, and I have learned a healthy respect for the chitinous little bastards.  In an Apocalypse game... I can just imagine the size of the horde a person could rustle up. O_O

The Kroot seem to be exactly what HH and you are both describing.  Useful in a hit and run capacity and also in a purely defensive stance when anchored in woods.  A 4+ cover save in woods is definitely helpful, combined with the ability to move freely through across them when other units have to treat them as difficult terrain means you could dance circles around an enemy unit.  Kroot Hounds could also be helpful, though I dunno if I'd invest in a Krootox...

HairyHeretic

In the hands of a good player, any army can do well. Some people though just want to download the latest cookie cutter army o' doom list from the net, and stomp away with that. Generally those armies have one particularly strong unit or tactic. Neutralise that, and they don't know how to recover.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Avi

Okay, so I've narrowed down my next investment to two choices:  Either a Kroot Carnivore Squad and a Shaper, or a squad of 6 Pathfinders, 3 of them armed with Rail Rifles. 

Any input on which might be a better choice?  Both would help fill a void, Pathfinders have Markerlights for my Hammerhead, and the Kroot add some oomph if I'm put on the defensive.

Chikannochichi

I would go for the Kroot first, if only, because they are useful both on the offensive and the defensive and are good at any points level. While the pathfinders, though useful and versatile, are just too fragile to put down in lower points games.

consortium11

I haven't played since I guess 3rd edition 40k came out? Which puts me a huge jump back on the current game. I wasn't a big fan of the dumbing down between 2nd and 3rd and nothing from 3rd onwards convinced me otherwise.

I do remember the good old days though. Buying Spacehulk (anyone still play that?) for £30 because it came with two plastic squads of Spacemarine Terminators and a horde of genestealers rather than the £25 for a squad of metal Terminators. Having a super inquisitor in your army who was pretty much the single most badass (if overly expensive) character in the game. Infiltrating with Chaos Veterans led by a champion so you could immediately sacrifice him for a Bloodthirster and pretty much immediately get into combat. Having a 15,000 points a side game in 2nd addition where each turn took about an hour...

God, between 40k, Warhammer itself, Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Gorkamorka, Epic, Quest, even small space fleets and that Warhammer Necromunda type game I must have spent so much (or to be fair, also so much of my parents) money on it...

HairyHeretic

I've been playing since Rogue Trader came out, and it's still on my bookshelf :) If you think you could do silly things in 2nd ed, you ain't seen nothing. Rogue Trader, you could equip squads with vortex grenades (and not one per guy either). You could design your own vehicles. It was possible to strip EVERYTHING out of a Land Raider and mount in a Defense Laser instead. One game a friend of mine ended up playing, his opponent fielded a 5 man IG command squad .. and every other point went on vortex barrage missiles, in an opening bombardment. When that stopped he had nothing left on the board. Talk about an unsatisfying game. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die