News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Anitaverse fans out there?

Started by NightBird, May 07, 2005, 10:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightBird

My first adult play-by-post game was set in Laurell K Hamilton's universe for the Anita Blake series, and it's what got me hooked on this type of game.

Is there any interest in doing a game based on that universe but with all-original characters?

deraxeman

I have not read one word of the Anita Blake books, but I would be interested in playing based on my meager knowledge of what that world is about.  Tell me more ...

Amberghylles

I've read quite a few of the Anita Blake books, and would be quite interested in a game set in that world, especally if it was only for original characters. 

NightBird

Hrmmmm...

Brief description of the Anitaverse...

Okay.  The books are set in something close to the present day, in a universe where all sorts of 'preternatural' beings and critters exist.  Vampires have become legal citizens in the United States, so they cannot be killed unless they commit a crime, but mind-control or feeding without some reasonable degree of consent is a crime.  Vampires are territorial, with a Master of the City, and a group of subordinate vampires.  Vampires increase in power as they age, but not all are reborn equal.  Some will become Master vampires, some never will.  A Master vampire will gain additional powers of the lineage, such as the ability/need to feed from lust or fear, and to 'call' a type of animal... including a lycanthrope of that species.  Lycanthropy is a virus, and has much of the same stigma as HIV.  Lycanthropes also grow in power and control over the first few years of their 'condition', with some becoming alpha and gaining additional abilities, and some remaining beta.  Those abilities include partial shifting, the ability to calm or force a change in other lycanthropes, et al.  Wolf lycanthropes have a very organized pack structure.  A lycanthropic oddity is a panwere who was initially infected with more than one form of HLV before the first full moon after initial infection.

There also psychics, wiccans and hermetic mages, voudou priestesses, and Necromancers.  A necromancer is someone who had the innate ability to raise the dead as zombies, and a master necromancer can gain control of non-master vampires.  In addition, faeries or the sidhe exist, but the universe isn't the same as the Merry Gentry series that focuses on the sidhe, so it's arguable whether the faeries of the Anitaverse are the same as those in the Merryverse.  There are also semi-sentient trolls here and there in the world, sub-sentient dragons in Europe and Asia, and creatures of Hindu myth that have appeared in the books.

One of the most powerful situations is a triumvirate, where a vampire 'marks' a human (including one with a magic or psychic gift) and a lycanthrope of that vampire's animal to call.  Strengthening of existing powers and some blending of each type of power gradually develops from this.  Recently, Anita, a powerful master necromancer, created a second triumvirate with a lycanthrope and a vampire.

So, that's a little taste of the universe.  There are a few inconsistencies here and there in the books, but there has been enough discussed to allow a decent structure and the potential for rules lawyering.  ;)

If we get a nice-sized group interested, I could probably be persuaded to lead a game.

Pixie

Yes and yes and yes. Love the books. I have all kinds of character ideas for them, including a couple in a current game which will likely be phased out elsewhere...

NightBird

Awesome! 

I'd love to get a group of good players together on this one.

Hunter

I'd need to browse through a novel first.   ;)

Pixie

They are fun books and easy reads, Hunter. It won't take much to get a feel for it. :-)

Hmmmm. I have two humans that would be good and I have a really good starter lukoi chick. *L* I need to talk to someone once he gets off vacation.

NightBird

I think something can be arranged, Hunter.  ;D

And that sounds great, Pixie!  Send him this direction!

I'd want about six players before I'd start a game.

kylie

Love the books, though I can't write a tenth as well!  Sounds interesting.

Pixie

He's on vacation this week and next week. I am fairly certain he'd want to play though and I'd vouch for his writing. But will have to wait until after the vacation thing. LOL

Moridin

From your description, the setting sounds somewhat WoD-ish, in which case I would possibly be interested.
Straight male.  As long as its within the rules of the forum, and doesn't involve fire, I'll try it once.

bloodrose

me too...was looking at the books the other day, will have to go back and get one!
bloodrose's Ons and Offs

3ldr1tch

So long as the emphasis isn't totally on vampires and werewolves (WOD games tend to suffer from that a lot).

You replied to my request in a previous thread, Nightbird. I wouldn't mind playing Wyne Connel in this game if possible.
The most merciful thing in the world is the inability of the human mind to correlate all of it's contents.

- H.P. Lovecraft ("The Call of Cthulhu")

kylie

Just to toss this in if it's of any interest, I'd also like anything modeled after the Kiss of Shadows etc series (the elf princess business, whatever that trilogy? so far? is called).  Probably with a little more dark stuff and a little less orgy, but then again the dark stuff IN her orgies (and the dark excuses for orgies) are so nice...  Yum.

v4s

Oh yeah, count me in. I even think I can still find my character sheet for Richard Zeeman if you don't mind my playing him.

Jim
Heterosexual Male
Looking for RP partners

NightBird

Cool.  With that level of interest, I've started to mull over some specific plot lines and a setting.  Expect to hear more from me this weekend.   One thing I'm pondering is how best to do what I think I want to do without multiple character capability, but I'm too tired to get very creative with that right now.

kylie

Just checking in: has anything ever come of this?

GolGol

My game ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=75040.0

Ons and Offs, the updated list,  and pictures. Updated 29/10: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4506

Discord: Plasmapudding#3339

Keelin

'The first and foremost erogenous zone is in the minnd'