⸻ ᴛʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴠɪʟ's ᴄᴜᴘ. {high fantasy}{open freeform sandbox}{a tavern for all}

Started by paperdoll, December 28, 2018, 09:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giantmutantcrab

Peripherie

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Peripherie

Rel Mayer

Bibliophilia

Drakan

Deamonbane

Player Name: Deamonbane
Character Name: Marrek
Known as: The Highwayman
Race: Mostly human

Appearance: His lean build makes him look taller than his six feet would lay him out as. His black hair, usually kept tied behind his head and a short beard are starting to be infiltrated with white and grey, making him look older than his 40 years. Those that meet him would recognize him as wearing black. A heavy cloak, dyed leather with a hint of mail hidden underneath, with heavy boots to complete the attire. The same would fail to recognize him in the various disguises that he is known to don when the job requires it.

Known to carry at least three throwing daggers, as well as a couple of longer, hunting blades, but his signature weapon is a smaller, pistol-grip crossbow, hanging from his belt, hidden in his coat opposite a quiver carrying a dozen or so black-shafted arrows.

Has no marks of ink on his skin, but there are more than a few scars.

Background: He was a soldier once, an honorable man, captain of his regiment and married to a beautiful woman and father to two beautiful children. One fateful day, when he was out on patrol, raiders attacked his farmhold. When Marrek returned that evening, he found his house burned to the ground, all goods stolen. His wife was raped and murdered, children taken to be sold as slaves. When the lord that he was sworn to refused to release him to hunt the animals down, to save his children, he broke away on his own, not caring that his life would be held forfeit for his actions.

He found his children, releasing them in freedom and some comfort with the coin he acquired in the beginning of his career, but after five years hunting and killing men for vengeance and coin, he knew that he was not the man to father those children. He left them in the care of a local blacksmith, an man who owed Marrek his life, sworn to secrecy as to the children's origins. They were too young to remember their dead mother and altered father. Marrek continued his hunt for vengeance, finding each of the men responsible for his ruined life and subjecting them to painful and lasting deaths before moving on. Eventually, fifteen years after setting out on his own, bounty placed on his head by greedy and errant lord, the last man responsible had his head put on a pike.

That is what they say, anyways. All that is truly known is that roughly fifteen years ago, a local merchant was found with a small, black-shafted bolt through his throat, and after that, many, many more were found. The truest origins of the Highwayman are the subjects of rumors and the tales of bards looking to romanticize the villain, hoping to find some method in the madness of death left in the man's wake.

Personality: A master of manipulation, disguise and misdirection leaves too many questions to be answered as to the man underneath. Are his words and actions representative of his truest form, or just an another act meant to lead to the death of another hapless victim?

Abilities:
Chameleon. Masterful in the use of disguises, taking on almost any form that he cares to when needed. It leads many to speculate if there might be a bit of shapeshifter in his blood. Whatever the truth may be, Marrek is difficult to spot when he does not wish to be seen.
Killer. Whether in the use of poisons, daggers, his signature crossbow or some devilish combination of all the above, Marrek proves to be without peer in his profession of choice. His weaknesses extend to the use of swords, axes and other melee weapons. Marrek believes that any time that he would need to use them shows utter failure in his craft, and truly believes in retreating to fight another day should circumstances take a turn for the worse.
Manipulator. Some say that he can read the minds of those that he speaks with. Others, less prone to flights of fancy, merely note that he has been dealing with inner natures of those that he is hired for and by for long enough that he can anticipate their thoughts through the use of logic and experience. Whatever the truth is, the Highwayman's ability to anticipate the actions of those around him are almost legendary.

Quotes:
"I caught a pebble in the moonlight."
“An enemy is like a man's most prized flower. It brings him joy to see it buried in the ground.”
"No one pays for the blood of lambs."
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

PassionateDesire

Rel Mayer

Bibliophilia

Drakan

Ziether

Oh, this looks absolutely irresistible. Is there anything setting-wise I should be sure to include? I have an existing character concept from an old Pathfinder game I believe could be adequately tweaked to fit this perfectly (like getting rid of mention of a gun). I'll check back later, but I should have something in the character thread soon.
Under Emergency Maintenance

paperdoll

Quote from: Ziether on January 11, 2019, 03:17:51 PM
Oh, this looks absolutely irresistible. Is there anything setting-wise I should be sure to include? I have an existing character concept from an old Pathfinder game I believe could be adequately tweaked to fit this perfectly (like getting rid of mention of a gun). I'll check back later, but I should have something in the character thread soon.

Nothing very specific! As long as the character sits well with the high fantasy setting and is humanoid, anything goes. There is a further description of the setting in the character sheet and lore thread! Oh, and be sure to include a status; specifying whether your character's a patron or one of the workers.

Zen

I'm gonna go ahead and post this here because I am tired of looking at it in my Word documents! Since my membership approval I have had a keen eye on all The Devil Cup's thread and very very slowly working on this character below. I am not finished, either! I am not sure if taking the liberties of tying in two NPCs of a notable social standing with my character, and creating two cities with them, is OK or not. *bites nails* Subsequently I am unable to bring myself to finish my character's background and those of the Duke and Baron below. Oh, and add details on the related city/village, as well.

If I am given the clear to proceed I will do so and hop on in somewhere!

My Character
Madam Zorindi
Player: Zen
Status: Patron/Owner of "Zorindi’s" - Sanctuary for the Forsaken

Full Name: Kessala Zorindi
Alias: Lady Silver Cloak, Baroness of Babes, Matron of Harlots
Race: Deep Gnome
Occupation: Retired Midwife, Founder of "Zorindi’s" - Sanctuary for the Forsaken

Physical Appearance
Hair: Pale violet
Skin: Pitch Black
Eyes: Rich Amethyst
Height: 3’6
Weight: 48lbs
Build: Petite, lithe.

Distinguishing Features
-Quarter of left ear tip is missing.
-Right ear pierced with twelve small silver hoops.
-White birthmark shaped like a five-pointed star at the base of her throat.
-Extremely thick and long eye lashes.

Personality Traits
Positive: Compassionate, gregarious, scrupulous.
Negative: Frivolous, materialistic, credulous.

Quirks/Behaviors/Mannerism
-Unless working, she wears elaborate eye-catching garments of her own design.
-Is never without her signature silver cloak.
-Always has hair intricately braided.
-Can’t eat in front of others.
-Gestures with hands wildly when angry.
-Bounces up and down and claps hands together when excited.
-Avoids words that start with ‘s’ because of her lisp.
-Can be seen wincing and rubbing/stretching her neck often, caused from constantly look up at others.
-Addicted to gambling at the fighting pits.
-Afraid of felines.
-Cant swim, has nightmares of drowning, yet longs to sail aboard a ship.

Background:

Associated NPCs
Rufus Banks

Rufus Banks – Friend/Bodyguard – Human / Male / 35
Eighteen years ago Rufus was purchased cheaply off the auction block of the Slaver’s Den. Cruelly stripped naked Rufus was revealed to be a eunuch to the gawking crowd. His pallid skin was soiled, matted brown locks ridden with lice, and clearly suffering with fever given his trembling and perspiring form. Never had it been Kessala’s intentions to buy a slave. In fact, she was trying in earnest to depart from the awful, foul smelling auction sector of the Pit’s caverns. Fate would deem otherwise for as Kessala expertly dodged through and around the mass of onlooker’s legs that surrounded the stages her purple eyes inadvertently connected with the eunuch’s cerulean visage. Stunned to an abrupt halt she felt her blood run cold. A sudden and haunting vision assaulted her mind’s eye at that moment. She saw the slave boy take his last ragged breath through cracked lips. Above this his skin stretched thin over gaunt cheeks and his sunken, innocent blue eyes misted over by a gray cloud of death .
Without a doubt the sable skinned gnome knew she had to change this young man’s fate. Shortly after that life changing decision Rufus was removed from the bidding stage, properly clothed, given a medicinal tincture for his fever and laid to rest comfortably within the gnome’s small yet lavish dwelling.
Through Kessala’s gentle care and compassionate disposition (and many baths and hefty meals later) the eunuch fully reclaimed his health and youthful exuberance. Kessala was not a woman to possess a pet, more or less a slave, and intended to return to Rufus his freedom and natural claim to life. Rufus would have none of it. Instead he vowed to repay her redeeming generosity with an undying fidelity of his own volition.
Rufus Banks to this day remains entirely dedicated to his savior and mistress Madam Zorindi. He likes to regard himself as her ever present shadow. He is resilient and fearless in his servitude, all the while boasting an endearingly witty, though at times riling, charismatic personality.

Lord Lynchfield

Lord Nilus Lynchfield, Duke of Brownport - Benefactor - Half-Elf / Male / 87

Lord Van Devries

Lord Semil Van Devries III, Baron of Daargenshire – Friend/Benefactor – Human / Male / 56

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
"So I can do what ever the hell I want."

Peripherie

Sain

PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Ziether

Under Emergency Maintenance

Zen

Quote from: Peripherie on February 01, 2019, 03:43:53 PM
Welcome Zen!

Thanks, Peri! Glad to of finally introduced myself here!

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2019, 04:03:58 PM
A wonderful little gnome ;D

;D Appreciate it, Sain! I'm excited to play her and interact with everyone!

Quote from: Ziether on February 01, 2019, 04:08:34 PM
Ooooh! Little folk!

Yuppers, gotta love 'em!

PassionateDesire

Zen

Quote from: PassionateDesire on February 01, 2019, 04:17:13 PM
Susi is not the shortest one in the tavern anymore :)

Frankly a halfling was my initial choice of race to play(I like the wee folk) but when I saw Susie's character I changed it. Couldn't take her swag, feel me? :P

PassionateDesire

Quote from: Zen on February 01, 2019, 04:22:04 PM
Frankly a halfling was my initial choice of race to play(I like the wee folk) but when I saw Susie's character I changed it. Couldn't take her swag, feel me? :P

I wouldn't mind you playing as a halfling. I like the gnome and I like that she lisps :)
But you shouldn't settle for something you find the second best because of me. Please consider this. Susi could easily have a girl friend They could share dresses :)

paperdoll

Zen, that's a lovely character! And we don't mind the NPCs at all. Though, there are a few things you should know about Bonyth's society, when it comes to magic and magical creatures.

We have a discord channel for random discussions, lore sharing and ooc chatter! https://discord.gg/Z4aszG

If you don't have discord, that's okay too! PM me on E.

Zen

Quote from: PassionateDesire on February 01, 2019, 04:24:40 PM
I wouldn't mind you playing as a halfling. I like the gnome and I like that she lisps :)
But you shouldn't settle for something you find the second best because of me. Please consider this. Susi could easily have a girl friend They could share dresses :)

Aww, well I have become rather fond of Kessala now BUT I am, for sure, able to whip up a halfling character after while. Sharing dresses, how precious, squueeee!  ;D

Quote from: paperdoll on February 01, 2019, 04:25:43 PM
Zen, that's a lovely character! And we don't mind the NPCs at all. Though, there are a few things you should know about Bonyth's society, when it comes to magic and magical creatures.

We have a discord channel for random discussions, lore sharing and ooc chatter! https://discord.gg/Z4aszG

If you don't have discord, that's okay too! PM me on E.

I don't have discord so you'll be getting a PM from me shortly. Also, I'll move the rest of my chatter to the OOC to keep this thread neater.

Giantmutantcrab