Fairy Tale Heroes...with Superpowers?! ('Avengers Grimm' - Still Accepting)

Started by Mathim, May 23, 2018, 07:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Do you like superheroes? Do you like fairy tales? Then this is the place for you! The idea is based on one of the most unexpected movies I've ever seen, Avengers Grimm, which I believe is still available on Netflix or in the $5 bargain bin at Walmart. It was made by The Asylum so if you know anything about them, it will either intrigue the hell out of you or put you off like nobody's business. The film itself is actually not half bad, all things considered, but it's more the core concept that I want to borrow for this game. Here's some more details if you're curious about the movie:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

So if that cover reels you in, here is the factual information:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4296026/?ref_=nv_sr_4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_Grimm

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with things like Once Upon a Time, or Fables, etc., things that blend multiple different fairy tale stories and characters into a united story. This idea is a bit more large-scale in that it incorporates stories and legends from all across the globe and history (up to around the time where technology is at the point where the industrial revolution hasn't yet started, so no engines for trains or steamboats; this means some of the American 'tall tales' are ineligible to appear). It also differs in that each major character is going to be something of a superhero, with abilities they may not have possessed in their stories, or if they did, more refined versions of them. Their abilities may not be their own, perhaps they simply wield enchanted or specialized artifacts, but they still use something extraordinary to live up to the legends of their names.

Sound fun? I hope so! The story will center around a great evil emerging from one of the four major continents of this world (I'm hoping someone good with image editing can help a brother out and assist in creating a master copy of the world map for use in this and other games) that are separated by an X-shaped body of water. Rumplestiltskin, a former djinn obsessed with power and ruthlessly evil, has declared his intentions to conquer the known world now that he has been freed from his servitude, and it is up to those blessed with the power to oppose his might to fight back and keep the world free, while those who share the dark one's wicked ambitions may choose to join him for a share of the spoils. Those who are uncertain may not have that luxury for long once he crosses their threshold and demands they capitulate or die, while those of comparable power may simply view him as an annoyance and oppose him simply out of arrogance, there is really no way to stay neutral in a battle for the very soul of the entire world.

So, if you're interested, let your voice be heard! Submit a profile to claim a character before someone else does. Just try to be somewhat reasonable with the powers your character has, like using an ability that has some connection to their name, the name of their story, the content of the story, etc. For example, in the film, SNOW White can conjure up objects made of ice, and Sleeping Beauty can generate bursts of sleeping powder from her hands. But there's lots of room for creativity! And feel free to gender-swap and orientation-flip established characters to suit your taste, it's all good. Don't be shy about tweaking their backstory from their usual telling, either, to help your character's powers (and whether they're good or evil, too) fit with however you're deciding to play them.

One note about magic, just to help categorize things a bit; there are three major classifications of the kinds of abilities characters and objects wield, namely Transfiguration, Conjuring and Enchantment. Transfiguration is the simplest, involving the alteration of shape or size of one or more objects, whether alive or inanimate. Things like shapeshifting into a werewolf, or the Fairy Godmother's power from Cinderella are of that ilk. Conjuring is the ability to summon objects, beings or energy out of thin air, in limited or unlimited quantities. Shooting energy beams or summoning a cloud to ride on like Sun Wukong are some of these, as well as creating golems or zombies. And lastly, Enchantment simply involves imbuing beings or objects with properties that are not customarily attributed to them. Giving oneself stone skin or super speed, or enabling something to float or fly, are in this camp. If whatever ability you wish to give your character doesn't seem to fit any of these three, let me know so we can try to work it into the mold for simplicity's sake (although I doubt it will come up; just some food for thought.)

Since we were so successful in getting people recruited, here are our OOC and IC thread links for quick reference:

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=288505.0
IC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=288506.0

Player Name:
Character Name/Identity: (Example - Princess Aurora/Sleeping Beauty)
Tale(s) of Origin:
Alignment: Pure good? Unaligned good? Neutral/Undecided? Unaligned evil? Pure evil?
Abilities: This is for your abnormal magic-based talents that normal people can't do, including things they may not possess as an individual such as enchanted equipment and any spirit familiars they may have
Skills: Any normal weapons they specialize in and other talents like martial arts, archery, tracking, setting traps, etc.
Backstory: Feel free to deviate from the norm to fit how you want to play the character as long as the core doesn't change so much that their ability wouldn't make sense. But you are welcome to change heroic characters to villains if you can make it work. The last bit should show their reaction to Rumplestiltskin declaring his violent intention to conquer the world's kingdoms and recruit other brutes and monsters to his ranks.
Personality: What sort of attitude do they have toward life, toward friends, strangers, enemies?
Orientation: Plenty of room for personal preference here (also any things kinky you might want done)
Appearance (please identify face claims where possible):
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

Fury Aphrodisia

I'm in for my Kitsune if Juggs is in for Sun Wukong. If not, I'll figure out another character to play. I'm thinking Puss in Boots.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Mathim

Quote from: Fury Aphrodisia on May 24, 2018, 08:37:42 AM
I'm in for my Kitsune if Juggs is in for Sun Wukong. If not, I'll figure out another character to play. I'm thinking Puss in Boots.

Oh, I love the concept I came up with for that character. I need to do more research so I can try to turn it into a narrative rather than just an index of ideas.

I'm glad I kept a list of all the people who've played or just expressed interest in the past so I can send out mass PM invites to try and get these off to a more robust start. Quill is in as Snow White as is tradition, so that one's taken in case any newcomers were very interested in that role.

This time around, I'm going to have Rumplestiltskin already having sent legions of minions (a few humans afraid to defy him, and many different monsters hoping to benefit from his rule) to create chaos, thus forcing even the more neutral characters to either flee for their safety or unite with Snow and her group to actively fight off the evil armies. So the war has already begun; if anyone's undecided on a side they can't afford to stay that way for long, which I think is what caused the wheels to spin without actually moving forward in the last couple of tries. I hope that makes sense to the returning players.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Isengrad

I can bring the huntsman back once more, I was kinda excited about him. I think he was also the woodsman, that after leaving the service of Snows parents he did a bit of logging and trading of fur.

original artwork by karabiner

Mathim

Quote from: Isengrad on May 25, 2018, 08:05:49 AM
I can bring the huntsman back once more, I was kinda excited about him. I think he was also the woodsman, that after leaving the service of Snows parents he did a bit of logging and trading of fur.

That's how I pictured it too, him being integral to both Snow White and Red Riding Hood's stories.

This means so far I've gotten as many acceptances to the invitations as I have rejections, and I sent about 30 invites out so for the site, I'd say that's a pretty good ratio. Hopefully a handful more will show, and a few newcomers as well.

Anyway, if someone wants to peek at their old profile submissions and whatnot, just let me know and I'll send you the link to the old threads so you can use them to copy-paste or just inspire your updated version.

Sirian Eve

I can't recall who I submitted last time, but this time around I'll be on the wrong side of the law, ya get me?

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

Kokaine

Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

My O/Os

Mathim

I'd prefer them here so we can see the details and make adjustments on the fly if desired (especially if doing comparisons of each other's).

As for past submissions, here's a couple of the old threads where you can find yours and and others' characters from previous games:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=277958.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=278268.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256702.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256472.0

As I said, you are all more than welcome to copy-paste completely unedited from one of those previous submissions if you like, nothing about their eligibility has changed so it's all fair game.

Kokaine

WIP

Player Name: Kokaine
Character Name/Identity: Pyrrha - (Red Riding Hood)
Tale(s) of Origin: Red Riding Hood
Alignment: Neutral/Undecided
Abilities:
Mark of the Beast - Neither one thing nor the other, Red appears to be caught in limbo with regards to things she cannot fully remember. She dreams of the wolf, knows it intimately, yet she remains ever poised on the edge, neither tipping over into full beast form yet clearly not human. Her senses are sharper, her strength greater than that of a woman her size and stature, she is faster, more agile, and more durable--able to take damage and heal provided she eats. Her nature is more primal and can bring about physical changes to her eyes, teeth, and nails. These things do ebb and flow with the phases of the moon, the full moon bringing on the greatest intensity, but they are always there and require Red to truly be master of herself.

Communicate with animals - Extends to predatory species and allows her very basic commands with most, the creatures retain free will but may respond based on Red's perceived dominance or weakness. Wolves and other canines are the easiest for her to summon and command.

The Red Cloak - An enchanted item that can turn into any garment or accessory the owner can imagine, though it is always red. The cloak boosts or represses certain traits in the wearer, dependent upon their personality and motivations. For Red it is meant to soothe the beast and helps her keep control of herself. If lost, wearing other red items may temporarily help but not indefinitely, or even for long. The cloak can be taken or loaned but will only work as intended for the true owner. It may be gifted to another but only by free will.

Survivalist - Red has an uncanny ability to be, say, or do whatever will allow her to survive a given situation. It's not so much magical as it is keen observation and natural intuition. It won't keep her out of trouble, unfortunately, and seems to have made her a tad more reckless with herself at times, encouraging that part of her that seems to thrive on the edge. So far she's always managed to land on her feet though, eventually.

Skills:
Brawling - Red is a natural born fighter, not so much trained in any particular discipline as she is intuitively capable of observing and adapting on the fly, adopting moves she's seen to her own style. It doesn't hurt that she seems to relish a good fight.
Hunting, Tracking, Trapping.
Use of whips, small blades and projectiles, bow and arrows.
Cooking.
Minor healing, herbalism.
Gambling.

Backstory: Feel free to deviate from the norm to fit how you want to play the character as long as the core doesn't change so much that their ability wouldn't make sense. But you are welcome to change heroic characters to villains if you can make it work. The last bit should show their reaction to Rumplestiltskin declaring his violent intention to conquer the world's kingdoms and recruit other brutes and monsters to his ranks.
Personality: What sort of attitude do they have toward life, toward friends, strangers, enemies?

Orientation: Pansexual, open to the possibility of a closed polyamorous relationship (M/M/F or M/F/F).
Red's tastes are pretty flexible. She can be dominant or dominated depending on the partner but beware playing such games  because the beast half of her nature does not do things by half measures. She's probably not a good match for someone purely into vanilla. See player O/O's.

Appearance (please identify face claims where possible): Still deciding on face claim.

My O/Os

Mathim

Just need that backstory bit filled in and we're golden (or red, in this case, LOL). Looking forward to seeing the face claim and costume images, too. We don't always have to up the ante, sometimes we get them perfect on the first try (LamentingQuill's Snow White, for instance).

Roleplay Frog

Hoooh. It's an interesting premise. Did it conclude or why are you reworking it?

dshadow

Player Name: DShadow
Character Name/Identity: Dracula
Tale(s) of Origin: Vlad the Impaler
Alignment: Pure Good

Abilities: Fights with a magic lance. The lance kills the undead and is filled with divine light. It also imbues Dracula with long life.
Skills: Etiquette, Horseback riding, hand to hand combat, athleticism, religious knowledge
Backstory: The lance was taken from his bastard imposter brother, Vlad the Impaler, when the real Vlad (Dracula) escaped from the dungeons and murdered his brother. But the Ottoman Empire and the Saxons whom suffered at Vlad's hands refused to believe it was Vlad's brother who was responsible for their grievances. Vlad changed his name to Dracula and hid in The Abbey of Carta in Transylvania, sheltered there by the White Monks. All the monks were banished from the Abbey in 1474 by Matthias Corvinus’, a Hungarian King and Necromancer. Dracula fought with the monks and it is said that as they fell they would rise from the dead for Dracula in a final stand. Truth is, it was there that his lance became blessed, and he saved the abbey, fighting off hordes of skeletons and zombies. He fought the army all the way to Castle Dracula, so named after finally laying the Necromancer to rest. Over time, the name Dracula and the Necromancer Corvinus' became covered up in an entirely different legend. And Dracula, finding himself aging extremely slowly, moved on in his travels and followed the Divine Calling. 
Personality: Hopeful, faithful, ruthless, and patient.
Orientation: Devoted and pious, but not bound to it. He does prefer female company.
Appearance (please identify face claims where possible): Gary Oldman

Mathim

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on May 27, 2018, 05:43:46 AM
Hoooh. It's an interesting premise. Did it conclude or why are you reworking it?

Most group games just don't tend to last very long so I just try to make things improve with each incarnation to achieve optimal results, so I'm optimistic about this one since it's just the latest attempt.

dshadow, just need some images to round that one out. Interesting idea, going with an alternate take on Dracula. Not quite the full vampire effect, that's unexpected. There won't be a great deal of undead for him to fight so hopefully he's effective against all manner of creatures and men.

Roleplay Frog

Quote from: Mathim on May 27, 2018, 10:09:43 AM
Most group games just don't tend to last very long so I just try to make things improve with each incarnation to achieve optimal results, so I'm optimistic about this one since it's just the latest attempt.

Definitly the right attitude to a prevalent problem. What was the issue last time, if I may be curious?

Sirian Eve

Player Name: Sirian Eve
Character Name/Identity: Maleficent/ Queen of the Dark Fae
Tale(s) of Origin: Sleeping Beauty
Alignment: Pure evil

Abilities: Her natural abilities are channeled through her staff.
Extensive knowledge of the arcane.
Prophecy
Superhuman strength
Plant Manipulation
Hypnosis
Conjuring and manipulation
Flight
Skills:
Spell casting- Curses are her specialty

Backstory:
Maleficent wasn’t always evil. She was however the most powerful fae of her time. She was born innocent and wise. Growing up to become a gatekeeper of her own domain. It is well known that things in the fae realm work differently than in the mortal realm. Names are important. Anything that remained nameless held no power.

Maleficent was not always known by that name, she had another before she made a deal with a Oberon to save the life of the forest she protected by giving up her old name and with it her power. As we know, things without names have no power. Instead of letting her cease to be he tricked her into a new name, Maleficent. That name poisoned her like a rotten apple. Her heart became black as pitch and where ever she ventured that darkness would infect.

The forest she had vowed to protect turned haggard and grey. The animals that dwelled there disappeared or morphed into monsters. She settled a throne in this forest. Known as the Forest of Thorns and her subjects became known as the dark fae.

Personality: She loves nothing, she hates nothing. She is neutral and unwavering in her emotions. Her desires are shadows, but she does enjoy making people fall inlove and then tearing them apart.She does not tolerate incompetence, nor is she forgiving. She does enjoy a good song. Music has always given her pleasure.
Orientation: Omnisexual
Appearance
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Claim: Meghan Fox

CURRENT STATUS: Posting 8/26

dshadow

im sure he's effective, it's divine light like a paladin in world of warcraft. I am thinking any manner of dark or evil the light will harm, it's just potentially unstoppable against undead, demons, vampires, and the like.

Mathim

Quote from: Roleplay Frog on May 27, 2018, 10:41:12 AM
Definitly the right attitude to a prevalent problem. What was the issue last time, if I may be curious?

I don't think you could pin it down to a singular issue per se, but the very first attempt definitely tried reaching too far, in taking the characters to the 'real' world like in the movie which was too difficult logistically so it didn't appeal to anyone. The last few times, I think things just didn't get off to an active enough start so I'm going to have the world already plunged into war from the beginning, leaving no one without something to do to hopefully spur more posting. Otherwise they end up sitting around the table talking and that gets old quick.

With Snow White's beloved having fallen and a great deal of her kingdom's armies crushed, she activates the Magic Mirror to connect to all others, sending out a beacon to everyone in reach who has the strength to fight and allowing only those with hearts of sufficient goodness and courage to use the mirrors as portals to come to her castle and unite. But they'll have to survive the monstrous power and armies of Rumplestiltskin first.

Mathim

I'll get the OOC and IC threads up and running once I get at least one more profile submitted. When I do, I'll post the links both in the post where I announce that I've done so, as well as in the beginning post of this thread for convenience.

Levi

A Working Progress.             Posting responses are: Slow.    Updated

Roleplay Frog

what kinda character is this roleplay lacking in at the time, build and perhaps erotica wise?

Fury Aphrodisia

Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

Mathim

One at a time responses to fit in one post without taking up space by quoting, here goes:

@ Levi: For some reason you weren't on the master list I compiled of interested parties (probably you were in one of the games I was unable to locate in archives, since I gathered the names for my list from the ones I could find and remember). You're of course 100% welcome back if you like and I'll make sure to update my list with yours and others' names in this thread who are new.

@ Roleplay Frog: I think someone on Rumplestiltskin's side of things would be good since the majority of characters are either good or just are opposed to him anyway like Maleficent. They don't even have to have been evil from whatever story you draw them from, so you can take an established good character and tailor them to be someone who'd willingly and maliciously follow Rumplestiltskin. But please, don't feel obligated to just take up whatever's needed, this is for you to exercise creativity in your own way.

@ Fury Aphrodisia: I'm giving each person the option to have something to do at the start to either prompt them to accept Snow White's invitation, or be able to contribute from wherever they are without traveling there through a mirror. I think the slow burn approach from the last few tries hasn't helped things so someone can choose to be in a place that is so far unaffected by the march of Rumple's armies or his own dark presence, or they can choose to start in a place that is being attacked and use their powers to fight and repel them, thus putting them on Snow's mirror's radar. That way everyone has maximum options for what they can be doing and if not everyone is on the same page, someone can independently post an action scene without having to wait on anyone. I'm hoping that strategem will help extend the life of the game somewhat. I'm completely open to suggestions or alternatives so don't be shy about something you think might be more effective.

Fury Aphrodisia

No, I just wanted to be sure. Neither Kit nor Puss would be suited to significant combat, at least right off the hop, so it left me wondering what I would be doing, but since I'm not sure yet which one I'm even going to be playing, I think I have enough to figure out so far.

Speaking of which, have we heard from Juggtacular?

Isengrad

Player Name:Isengrad
Character Name/Identity: Sebastian /The Huntsman
Tale(s) of Origin: Snow White, Little Red Riding Hood
Alignment:Nuetral Good
Abilities:Blessings of the Wilde Jagd

• Enhanced Physiology: The Huntsman's natural abilities are pushed to the extreme. He can track by scent, leap like a deer through the forest, is as powerful as the largest mountain bear, see near perfectly in the dark and so on. Woden made him the perfect hunter.
  • Jaeger: Jeager is his companion, a Golden eagle given to him by the leader of the Wilde Jagd, this spirit of the hunt can take different forms for his master. Most commonly is a Bow that produces it's own golden fletched arrows and a simple woodmans axe, its edge as sharp and as deadly as the birds talons.When needed the Huntsman can see through the eyes of His companion.
Skills: The Huntsman was/is a skilled tracker, even before the blessings of Woden. Trained first as a scout for some kindom he is adept at long distance running and thinking quick on his feet, as well as most hand to hand weapons. The bow came naturally to him and his skill only improved when he was blessed. Besides that, hes a pretty good cook after living on his own for so long.

Backstory: Sebastian hails form the northern continent, the son of a minor noble that sat high on his low laurels and tried to make sure Sebastian did the same. This in itself was pointless as the boy hated his father and as soon as he had come of age(14) he fled his home in the north to head to the western continent. There he joined the armies of of Snow whites father, training as a hunter and a scout. From his guard post he watched as young Snow white grew up into the woman she would be. At last those peaceful days were not meant to last.

The stepmother, the Queen Grimhilde, brought a dark cloud to the otherwise peaceful kingdom.Still it was her word that he was sworn to obay, her authority. So when he was ordred to drag Snow white into the forest and cut out her heart he at first obeyed. When it came right down to the moment, his hand and the dagger hovering above her suple frame, he realized he could not do it. Over the years a small seed of affection had been planted in his heart, a seed that blossomed on that day. They concocted a plan, he cut out the heart of a wild boar after capturing it in the forest and gave to Snow the very dagger he was ordered to kill her with.

Returning to the Queen he tossed the heart at her feet and gave up his commission, what did she care, he had done his job. He settled on the end of the kingdom and took up a lifestyle of hunting, trapping and logging to get by. He would return to the deep forest from time to time to check up on snow and train her in the use of the dagger he had given her. The rest was him patrolign the forest and scaring away or killing any dangerous beasts that may happen upon her, as well as stearing any of the queens guards away from where she lived.

He made it a point during that time to hunt a dangerous beast that stalked those woods, a great wolf that he was sure was the stuff of nightmares. In passing the house of an old grandma he heard her snoring rather loudly, having a fresh kill he decided to check to see if she needed any of the meat. When he entered he saw the wolf, fat and asleep. Thinking the wolf must have eaten the poor woman whole from the looks of it, and the lack of blood staining the floor. He carefully split open his stomach with a pair of the grandmothers shears. Surprised to find both the grandmother and her granddaughter alive he was ready to kill the beast in his sleep when red had a wonderful idea. They filled his belly with heavy stones and sewed him back up, so that when he awoke he would know he was done. When the wolf fell dead the huntsman took the wolfs skin, and hurled the carcass into a nearby gorge to feed the buzzards.Thus he had saved three lives.

It was quite some time before the queen stumbled upon the Huntmans ploy, and when she did she had him dragged into the palace to stand for his betrayal. The last thing he could remember was seeing his own heart beating in her open palm;however, that was not the end of his tale. He awoke a while later surrounded by hunters of strange and alien origin, and leading them was a great man who radiated fear, power, and the wild thrill of the hunt. Woden welcomed him to join his hunter of the Wilde jagd, and over the next few years he joined the primal hunt. Though his body was dead, his spirit grew stronger from the blessings. When they camped he would check on Snow, happy to see that it had all worked out.

When Rumplestilskin started his war Sebastian knew he had to head back, so taking the pelt of Big bad and getting Wodens blessing he returned tot he land of the living to fight, knowing that the next time he died, he would not get another chance at life. He would remain dead.
Personality: To freinds he tries to be kind, and an example of a good role model. He is a good man, unconcerned with weather it is against the law to do the good deed, knowing it only needs to be done. he likes to offer his enemies quarter only once.
Orientation: Bi-female preferance
Appearance (please identify face claims where possible):alexander marushin
]

Forum tag
[float=left][IMG padding=10 height=200]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5d/d0/e4/5dd0e428986c29dfcab75e2418aa0cae.jpg[/img][/float][hr]
[b]Character Name/Alias[/b]: Sebastian, The Huntsman
[b]wearing:[/b]:
[b]Location[/b]:
[b]Current Action(s)[/b]:
[b]Tagging[/b]:

[hr]

original artwork by karabiner