Magic...It can get a guy killed. Dresdenverse/Modern fantasy Rp Idea.

Started by Cuchulainn, October 07, 2012, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuchulainn

Hooray! *throws Anon a parade*  Another male, thinking we are almost ready to start yes? Have a bit of a plot worked out...well an opening anyway.

bubby

I say make a char template darlin, so people can get an idea how to flesh out there characters, and post them up here.

Anon315

I am to presume then that we are free-forming this rather than use the actual DF RPG rules?

bubby

Cuchulainn

So many demands, fine, fine.

[b]Player Name:[/b] Your login ID
[b]Character Description:[/b] Image or brief paragraph describing your characters looks.
[b]Character Name:[/b] Name of your character
[b]Gender:[/b] Male or female
[b]Nationality:[/b] What country are they from?
[b]Age:[/b] Or in the case of you long lived creatures, what they appear
[b]Sexuality:[/b] Straight/Gay/Bi

[b]Personality:[/b] Just a small bit about their motivations, disposition to the major groups and strangers in general.

[b]History:[/b] Doesn't have to be to precise I know some of you might be thousands of years old, keep it recent if you wish.

Hows that?

Also yes Free-form, that's the one without dice yes?

bubby

Free-form = no dice yes.

Yay char template! (Ignore a portion of my last PM Cuchu darlin'. Heh)

I need to take care of a few things first.... ok I need to hit the liquor store...  ::)  then I'll return and make my char.

Cuchulainn

Did you drink the entire store?

Okay so gonna' keep this brief cause no got a lot of time here, no because "they" found me or anything or people are trying to break into my house I just have to go. So story wise what I was thinking was some philanthropist gets his hands on a blacked Denarius and donates it, amongst other things, to the natural history museum and chaos ensues.

Anon315

I had forgotten to make my character as well. Time sneaks up on us and ambushes us.
Character
Player Name: Anon315
Character Description: Brown hair cascades lightly around a face which never quite finds itself properly shaven, ending just past the chin. Eyes of blue gossamer shimmer behind thin wire framed glasses which mark the obvious disability and serve to accentuate them further. A body of unremarkable state, save possibly for looking a little hungry, clothes itself generally in polo shirts and khakis or jeans. He is of fair skin and taller than most, rising to a full six feet and four inches. His hands are well maintained and the nails precisely manicured.

Character Name: Andrew Mills
Nationality: American, Caucasian
Sexuality: Pansexual

Personality: Andrew is obsessive-compulsive to a T. He demands everything in his life to be just so, to the point that he eats in almost the same place each day of the week, and doesn't like any sort of variance in his schedule. His is of a more mild sort, but he still reacts poorly to having his schedule altered by unforeseen circumstances. In socializing, which he schedules time for each week, he is a listener and likes to drink a precise number of drinks he found through trial and error. He doesn't like to talk over-much because he finds words get in the way of expressing thoughts and are generally not conducive to understanding or friendship.

History: Dr. Mills has always known he would be a doctor. It wasn't that he played doctor with other children at a young age or anything so banal, he simply always knew that it was his job to save lives. In school watching E.R., House, and Grey's Anatomy he found it distracting how much time they spent not practicing medicine. After all, wasn't that what they were paid to do? So when the time came for him to choose a college he went directly into Pre-Med, scored unbelievably well on his MCAT and went on to Emory University school of Medicine, because it was the one which offered him the most financial aid. He excelled there, graduating at the top of his class due to an attention to detail which not so much bordered on the neurotic as traipsed all the way through it. After his residency, which was torturous on him because he did it in an Emergency Room in Georgia, he moved to town and started work at the local hospital / clinic in general practice, which was when he noticed things going awry. People came in with anemia while he was unable to determine any source of injury. Machines worked or did not work depending on who was in the room. One of his fellow physicians never used any of the machinery and in fact had an office specifically placed as far as possible from the Intensive Care ward. He figured it was some sort of religious idiosyncrasy and he certainly wouldn't be one to judge another man's odd habits. 

helvorn

Player Name: helvorn
Character Name: Melissa Raith
Character Description: Melissa is a dark haired, slender bombshell with impressive curves.  She is 5'8" 110 lb with brilliant blue eyes and an aura of pure sensuality.  She appears to be in her late teens although she moves with a confidence that is well beyond her appearance
Nationality: USA
Sexuality: Bi

Personality: Melissa is ambitious, scheming and ultimately amoral like most White Court Vampires.  She is less directly ambitious than most preferring to enjoy her life of wealth and privilege while maneuvering in the background.  She is fully immersed into the life of a White Court vampire although she has not descended into depravity like many.  Melissa also is more like her half brother in that she does not regard humans as simple Kine but rather powerful creatures in their own right that can provide amusement and help in her schemes as well as satisfying her many hungers.  She does not care for the Red Court considering them boorish and overly concerned with temporal power as well as a set of rivals.  She finds the Black Court to be disgusting.  Melissa regards the White Council with deep respect and steers clear of openly crossing them.  She is  as loyal to her half sister Lara as could be expected and is particularly fond of her half brother Thomas.

History: A daughter of Lord Raith and a mortal woman she was enthralled to her father for many decades along with her half sisters.  When Lara became the power behind the throne her bondage to her father was broken and she gained freedom of action.  She has continued to be a loyal member of the White Court while pursuing her own agendas of building a power base amongst the humans and maneuvering in the newly dangerous world where the Red Court battles the wizards.

She was recruited by Lara as a member of the Venatori along with Thomas.

She works when she does work as a stage actress and model and is quite active in the arts community.

Doesn't have to be to precise I know some of you might be thousands of years old, keep it recent if you wish.

Attributes:
Sexual Glamor - Melissa unconsciously exudes an aura that creates a strong sexual attraction in men and women
Domination - A White Court vampire can control a human victim which includes thralldom, mental slavery, domination, seduction
Perfect physique and beauty - Melissa is perfectly formed and almost unnaturally beatiful
Unnatural Strength and Agility - By drawing on the power of her inner demon Melissa can perform feats of amazing strength, dexterity and speed as well as survive damage that would instantly kill a human.  As well she is naturally skilled in weapons and weaponry.
Rapid Healing - By drawing on the power of her inner demon Melissa can heal crippling wounds
The Hunger - the inner demon always hungers for the energy of humans, the more so when Melissa has used its powers

[Updated to add powers]

Caela

Player Name: Caela
Name: Emilie "Em" St. John
Sexuality: Straight
Classification: Witch

Magic: Em has a natural affinity for evocation (she's good enough that simpler spells, ie: small gouts of fire or wind don't require a focus) and her greatest learned skill is Versimilomancy (illusion magic), the latter is helped by the fact that much of her life among the magical community is a type of illusion. She's shown an aptitude for learning new types of magic and enjoys studying even just the theory behind those magics she finds most difficult. The hardest branches of magic for her are Thaumaturgy and Psychomancy and no matter how much she studies, spells involving them have her lowest success rate as well as draining her faster than any others.

With her skill at Evocation, she has the raw ability (though not the training yet) to be a Warden someday...if they ever realized she was more than she seemed.

Magical Focuses: She has a protective amulet that has been in her family for centuries and is, traditionally, passed down from mother to oldest daughter when that daughter either married, or struck out on her own. Em's mother gave it to her when she moved to London for school.

Like most Wizards she has a staff that she carved herself with runes and sigils for protection and defense and aid in her, more difficult, evocations.

She also has an interest (hobby, not an intense area of study) in magically charmed items and a few small pieces that she charmed personally. Her favorite, and most successful and useful, being a pair of leather gloves that she spelled to always keep her hands warm. Less successful spells include a ring that squeezes the wearer's finger when someone around them lies. It sounded good in theory, but when her finger went numb from the number of times it got squeezed by of all the socially acceptable lies swirling around her, she dropped it to the bottom of a box and never wore it again!

Personality: Having grown up with money, and the comfort and luxury that it brings, Em can seem to be a bit haughty and arrogant at times. She doesn't actually believe that her parents money makes her better than anyone else, but she does take for granted a lot of things that other people don't. At her core she is kindhearted, loyal and clever but she's also learned to play those things close to vest because many people in her world would see them as weaknesses to exploit. When in public, she will often play off being pretty but vapid. Only those truly close to her know she isn't the brainless socialite sucking off Mommy and Daddies money that she often seems to be.

Background: Born the daughter of Kassandra and Rupert St. John, Em was being taught how to shape and use magic almost as soon as she could speak. While other children were learning to read with "Dick and Jane" books, her tutors were teaching her both English and Latin translations of her parents varied collection of spellbooks. She took to learning magic as naturally as some children take to music or art and took just as much joy in her craft as any artist ever did their own.

She also learned to hide the true scope of her knowledge and skill. Her Mother made it clear to her that there were many in their world who would exploit and use her gifts if she wasn't careful about who she trusted. Her Father also talked to her about the manipulation and Machiavellian scheming that often went hand in hand with a certain level of power. Not wanting their daughter to fall prey to such things too early, they did their best to keep her away from many of their own "kind". All contact couldn't be avoided of course, not with Kassandra being a member of the Council, but what little there was, was minimized and highly supervised and most of her parents peers ended up thinking that they were hiding Em away because she was either not magically powerful or because she was vapid and foolish (a belief they all encouraged) and that they were ashamed of her.

To further the belief that she had little in the way of magic, they decided that she would go to a "normal" University in Europe and she decided on King's College London's Institute of Psychiatry. It wouldn't further the idea that she was vapid in any way, but it was easy for people to believe the only reason she got in was because of Daddy's money. Though anyone who did their research on her would find that she was in the top 2% of her classes. Even with her grades, a future in medicine easily furthered the idea that she would need a job in the mundane world.

With prior beliefs about her filtering through the magical community, few would stop to think how the deeper knowledge of psychology, biology (classes she took by choice since there was simply no way to be a medical doctor when few, if any, modern medical devices would work around her!) and science would actually add to her understanding and abilities with magic.

Misc.: While she's a Witch, she is not Harry. Em doesn't seek out attention, trouble, or the darker side of their world. She grew up in a mostly happy, if somewhat cloistered, home, showered by love and affection from her parents; not with an Uncle seeking to use her. She's not battle tested, most of her skill comes from hours of practice and study, not actively battling evil. She doesn't have any enemies, that she's aware of, because most of the magical community think she's not worth being an enemy or ally and being genuinely kind most normal humans don't take issue with her either.

As a side note, Em is technically a full member of the White Council (as any fully acknowledged Wizard is) but when it came time for her Trial, she did the bare minimum necessary to pass. So, while she can claim full Wizard status, most view her as little better than an Apprentice and few would stop to think that she (and her fmaily) might have encouraged that belief simply to keep her out of the politics surrounding the Council until she felt ready for them. While she doesn't know Harry Dresden personally, how he's acted and how the Council had treated him, is a cautionary tale in their home and all the encouragement Em needs to stay away from both Chicago and the Council at large.

Anon315

My character feels simultaneously young and old. He will look older while simultaneously being waaaaay younger than the others.

helvorn

I added the White Court powers and drawbacks to Melissa's description.

bubby

Though I love this idea, I personally can't see it going to far with only this many people.

Caela

~pushes Bubby into the hallway~ So go shake that ass and drag more folks in!

Cuchulainn

Oh Bubby, ye of little faith

Doesn't seem to be much interest, should have named it "Magic...it can get a guy killed...or laid."

Still, could go well, could crash and burn, I don't mind waiting a bit longer but at the same time I don't want to wait to long and where it gets to the point where those you have signed on loose faith and interest.

The other option is to start the thread while at the same time looking for more members.

Caela

I have no problem with starting and continuing to look for more players. Depending on how we want to develop the story a small group might work better, it's not like we can't make NPC's to fill in holes until we get more players.

Cuchulainn

Well a hold a quick vote, those in favor of waiting say so, and those against...also say so.

helvorn

I say start.  We can run a three person game just as easily as long as we work out a good story for close cooperation.

Cuchulainn

Hmm may have found some people interested in joining outside of the site but might attempt to get it up and running while the join, so if people agree with starting sooner rather than later then I shall attempt to hopefully start it this weekend.

Mister Grimm

I may be interested in joining if you are still looking, but it might take me a while to draft up a character. Its been a while since I've read through Dresden, but I'll be gearing up for the release of Cold Days next month by tackling all the books again.

Real quick though. Can you put a quick summary up of what was agreed on again? It'd probably make it easier to have a condensed version of what was talked about somewhere to attract more people or to even give others a refreshment. Also- where is it being started in terms of group play? Light small group? Light big group? Exotic? What?
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Caela

Good questions Mister Grimm.

As for placement, I'd suggest Small Group NC or Exotic since there's room for both between fairies, vamps and other various baddies in Dresden's world. Choice is up to Cuchulainn though. :)

Roxy Rocket

A summary would be good.

(I'm lurking just now.)

Anon315

I'd like to see this game happen. Enough games are not happening that I should very much like to be part of one which goes a fair distance.

bubby

Quote from: Caela on October 18, 2012, 04:14:44 PM
~pushes Bubby into the hallway~ So go shake that ass and drag more folks in!

*AGHS as she shoved into the hallway, squeaks as the door is slammed behind, pounds on it for re-entry!*

My ass is too big to be tossing it around willy-nilly like that! Someone will put an eye out!

OMG COLD DAYS IS OUT NEXT MONTH!? *Fangirl squeal!*

I promise I'll have my char sheet up by Saturday at the latest I SWEAR. I'd say tomorrow but that is payday and I'll be taking care of giving it all away. Truly sorry for the delay. I do have a pic picked out though!

HairyHeretic

I'm still here and interested in playing. Should hopefully have my character sheet up later today.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.