News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Just a simple Question for those of you who like Rules-Based Games?

Started by National Acrobat, May 19, 2006, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

National Acrobat

Out of curiousity, what is your favorite system, and why?

I've noticed on many PbP Boards that there is, suprisingly and much to my delight, many varied systems, old and new, available to play.

I'm glad, personally, that the whole world didn't put some of the older, and less popular systems, in the closet when d20 came out.

I prefer d20 Modern, 1E Gamma World and Basic ODnD Myself.

Especially Basic DnD, because it provides just enough structure to resolve and stat things out, yet leaves much more to the imagination and to the story development. And you can learn it in about 2 minutes.

GoldenChild

World of Darkness (both old and new), Shadowrun, Earthdawn and Eon (Swedish game).

Swedish Steel

Shadowrun, Earthdawn, Spycraft, Changeling, Aeon Trilogy...the list goes on. :)
"Ah, no, not bukkake chef! Secret ingredient always same."

On Off page:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5467.0

GoldenChild

Yea! Another Earthdawn fan :), and I who thought I was the only one  ;D

National Acrobat

QuoteShadowrun, Earthdawn, Spycraft, Changeling, Aeon Trilogy

I've never played any of those. Heard quite a bit about them, but never played them. Then again, the folks that I play in RL with tend to play the older things.

Old Traveller, D6 Star Wars, Hero System, Basic/1E/2E ADnD, Old Gamma World, and some d20 Modern.

We also play Castles and Crusades occasionally.

Ellyssa

Mmm. I've only mostly played 2e/3e AD&D, although I've been trying to pick up and learn other settings like the WoD ones recently. (Slowly, and with patient GMs ;D)

I haven't had much experience with most of the more exotic rulesets otherwise.. outside of computer games and the odd game book system like Tunnels and Trolls. Perversely, I like complicated rulesets though, with synergy taking effect everywhere stats-wise.

MadPanda

Over the Edge, Unknown Armies, Ironclaw/Jadeclaw, Feng Shui, Castle Falkenstein, RandomAnime, Talislanta (3rd ed), and Amber DRPG.

I'm torn between old Basic D&D (simple!) and 1st Ed AD&D for dungeon-crawls.  I don't care overmuch for the d20 thing, although it IS more streamlined in many places.  Call me old-fashioned.

Given my choice, I prefer simple systems that allow a focus on characterization and storyline.  The play's the thing for me, not the rule-checking and die-rolling.

Hey, SwedeSteel...ever hear of something called Kult?
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Swedish Steel

Oh sure, the game that really made the religious nuts crawl up from under their rocks. Great game, could be a little unsettling at times, especially if you played it like we did, in a dark basement with the only light coming from a massive amount of candles. Those were they days.

On Off page:

alahendra

I've pretty much only ever played 2nd and 3.x ed. of DnD, although the DM I regularly play tabletop with wants to run a game of Paranoia, and I'm all over that.
"You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan
Designed and directed by his red right hand..."

Os & Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5351.0

MadPanda

Yep.  Got pointed to that little gem by an exchange student my family hosted for a year.   ;D  Ver' sick and wrong.  Definitely worth leaving around to bother the pious types.

Ironically enough, one of the folks who helped translate it into English was a Lutheran minister.  ;)

In Memory of Bishrook

Swedish Steel

Heh, I didn't know that. I always wondered how it got published in English.
I often thought about gming a game where the characters were angels on earth, battling the other occult forces trapped there, Kult would be perfect for that.

On Off page:

MadPanda

Also In Nomine, which I've heard is okay (but I've never played it).

In my humble opinion, Kult would make a decent system for trying something like Silent Hill as a tabletop game...

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Quote from: alahendra on May 19, 2006, 10:00:57 AM
I've pretty much only ever played 2nd and 3.x ed. of DnD, although the DM I regularly play tabletop with wants to run a game of Paranoia, and I'm all over that.

An excellent choice of systems, Friend Citizen!  Have you read the Infrared Clearance introductory documentation?

In Memory of Bishrook

National Acrobat

Ah yes, Paranoia. I played that back in the day in the 80's.

What a great game. I heartily recommend that.

MadPanda

Happiness is mandatory.  If you are not happy, you may be reassigned as reactor shielding.  High Programmers have determined that playing Paranoia XP makes clones happy.  You are happy, aren't you?

(evil giggle)

In Memory of Bishrook

alahendra

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

National Acrobat

Just remember, the Computer has your best interests in mind. And nothing else... ;D

alahendra

Heh.  I've also been interested in learning GURPS but I don't have anyone to teach it to me.  And sadly, one of the gaming stores where I lived closed and the other turned into a...*sigh*....Christian bookstore.  The box stores of doom don't seem to carry it.

MadPanda

Have you hugged your Computer-approved Teela-O-MLY plushie today?

I believe GURPS Lite may be available as a free download.  But don't quote me on that, 'cause I'm at least two iterations behind the cutting edge.

(Not to diss Mr. Jackson's work, but anything Generic and Universal usually isn't...through no fault of the designers!  Their's has been a noble attempt at a horrendously thorny problem, and GURPS Illuminati is one of my prized material possessions, right along with GURPS The Prisoner.)

In Memory of Bishrook

GoldenChild

Amberghylles

I've played and enjoyed quite a few systems...

Over The Edge, Shadowrun (Been hooked since it was just one little hardback rules book, but I refuse to accept the 4th edition), GURPS, WoD (The old one, which is fine if you accept that the rules meant to be guidelines for the Storyteller not rule's lawyer fodder), En Nomine (I mean who doesn't love the demon prince of all media?), and a little gem called Shattered Dreams.

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

Amberghylles

<grins> Wonderful little game isn't it?  Sir Arthur Compton is my hero...

MadPanda

Oh, yes.  Such a wonderful fellow!  Throws the most delightful parties, don't you know?  And that decor!  So Twelfth Century!

;D ;D ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Amberghylles

And such a mentor to impressionable young artists and students of the occult...  ::)

Lyria

I've played a lot of systems, mainstream, obsure, and hombrewed. My favorites change from time to time.

Right now I like Unisystem, all forms,whether its Buffy/Angel, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Armageddon, Terra Primate, or Witchcraft. I like the simplicity of the rules, and the character creation system, and I am a huge fan of BtVS/Angel.

The system I guess I've like best over the course of the years is Champions. It allows for almost anything as far as character creation goes, and while I have loved the superhero verses I've played in, I've found it lends itself to just about any genre.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash.           ons/offs

National Acrobat

The system I guess I've like best over the course of the years is Champions. It allows for almost anything as far as character creation goes, and while I have loved the superhero verses I've played in, I've found it lends itself to just about any genre.

Yeah, I forgot about Champions. It is very versatile, and currently some friends and I are using the system to play a Lovecraftian type-Modern Day Game. Excellent system.

RubySlippers

My favorite system is D&D 3.0 (3.5) but did play second edition. I also play RISUS which I found out about at a convention last year when I was in a pick-up game and is free off the internet, Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games) and Vampire but didn't try the new rules yet. The books are not cheap and can't afford them yet.

Probably the oldest game I play and run is Avalon Hill's POWERS & PERILS one of the most complicated rules I have ever used and character generation can take hours if your new and do a magic user.

National Acrobat

I used to have Powers and Perils.

I ended up selling it a few years ago at a yard sale, and yeah, it was very complex.

I still own Harn though, and that's right in the same vein.

Harn has terrible rules, but the absolute best supplements ever for medieval role playing in terms of sourcebooks for nations and cities.