Halo: A shot in the dark

Started by Gladiator0161, August 18, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashia starstreak

I love how extremely sci-fi that is, almost Alien-like. Gets me to think on I believe it's "Aliens" where Ripley finds out one of the chicks is an andriod and is like wtf...but she's cool with her.

Not sure how Halo deals with Cyborgs and the capabilities, but I'm down so long as GM (Gladiator) is down.

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Vengurd

If I know him, so long as it isn't game breaking we'll be fine.

Love those movies. Grew up watching them (and a few others).

Hunter Phoenix

Not that I'm trying to break up the conversation or anything ;) but who's turn is it to post in the RP :P
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

ashia starstreak

It's  up in the air. But it can be me, golden touch, or Vengurd, but he's kO'd ;)

I love the alien movies. I own them all, and the avps, plus all three predator movies, all the species...man I am just a movie junkie lol I own a lot of boxsets. I got a tv with no channels so it usually just gets used for movies and video games. I even had all the critter movies, but I gave 'em to my bf. I love that quiet space guy that can't find a  good enough face. "Kill Crites" haha gets me every time.

Sushi

Mmm... cybernetics. I think the important thing to consider with "interfacing" is how important the cybernetics are. If they are just replacements for muscles and limbs, it doesn't make much sense to have a complex interface, since they would use your human nerves. Though in the case of life support, yeah, I guess it makes a lot of sense to have some sort of complex interface.

Also, I edited my post slightly. Hope it makes a difference.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Vengurd

Well, there is also the arguement that you can't really use the full potential of the cybernetics unless you at least reinforce the spine, otherwise it would snap under the pressure.

As it is Patric has an entire arm, a few ribs and an eye completely replaced by cybernetics. I would have to look at his bio (both on and off the site) again to be entirely sure. As it is, if I remember my Halo lore correctly, Spartans (S2's anyway) have neural networks and/or are connected to their suit with a neural interface, take Spartan 117 and the AI construct for example; In the novelization of the first game Cortana remarks on how...different it is from a ship as John feels her presence in the back of his head.

It might be slightly different than that, it has been a few good years since I have read those first three books.

Great movie selection Ashia! (None of them like me!)

Gladiator0161

@ Sushi: Thanks man, I'll check it out in a moment. Hope it wasn't too difficult for you.

@ Ashia and Vengurd: I love the Alien movies, they, along with the original Star Wars movies and Star Trek TNG, got me hooked on the sci-fi genre. Brings back alot of memories :D

As for the whole cyborg thing, Vengurd has a point, the spine would need reinforcing. Also, cyborg's are mostly human with mechanical analogues to replace damaged limbs that are beyond saving, or to enhance something, such as the neural networks that Vengurd talked about. So, the whole life support thing wouldn't really work unless you plan to turn her into a fleshy robot. Not in the way you're talking about anyway.

Robo Cop was basically a Robot, not a cyborg. The only thing human about him was his head and maybe his legs, the rest of him was replaced with mechanical parts. He couldn't live without the mechanical parts. Cyborg from Teen Titans is also a robot, not a true cyborg, since the only things human about him are part of his biceps, shoulder joints, and half his head. I love both of those characters but, people call them cyborgs and they're not. They're robots, granted with their own consciousness but, they're still robots.

It's your character so, ultimately, it's your choice.

I'd much prefer it if you left something human on her besides her head and chest though, lol. I've been kinda fiddling with the thought of something happening with Gladiator and Shana, like maybe an intense moment that leads to something. Nothing concrete yet of-course, these are just thoughts. Wanted to discuss it with you because you might have had something going on between Shana and Hunter.

Sushi

Master chief literally has a port in the base of his skull for data.

I defer to the Ghost in the Shell series for realistic cybernetics. You don't need a reinforced spine / skeleton or whatnot if the replacement part is of similar strength to an organic human part. However, vastly increased weight / strength and such means everything attached to that part needs to be able to handle it, or it'd just break away at where man meets machine. So for someone who aims to be more agile or stronger, it often makes the most sense to go almost completely prosthetic, where only the brain and spine remains. Often for GITS cyborgs the spine is just used to store backup power.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Gladiator0161

So Sushi, I just read your post, and it's all good. Thanks for helping me out man :)

ashia starstreak

Dictionary's definition: cyborg: person whose physiological functioning is aided by or dependent upon a mechanical or electronic device.

Shana would be dependent on the mechanics that pump her heart, lungs, and keep her liver and kidney functioning. A small wiring to her wrist would be the only thing outside of her midsection that was electronic. So would that make her a cyborg, or a robot in major denial? It's definetly not meant to give her an extra umph. She could use a booster to speed up the mechanics like someone sensitve to caffine..but nothing beyond keeping her alive. Course I could alter it, but I'm a bit confused at z moment so I dunno how it'd work ^-^ might need a book "Sci-fi Cyborg for dummies" lol

I dunno, Shana is a bossy little lady. Very dominant, she will usually challenge another dom, but won't make a move. She struggles emensly with her ranking and though she hesitantly obeys orders, she does not like being told what to do. A reason why she likes Hunter, he's quite submissive and lets her do whatever she pleases. Gladiator seems like a good leader and would definetly have a difficult time with Shana.

The Golden Touch

I will be posting as soon as I get a break from work stuff. I know I only have Ty's character to deal with, so feel free to move around.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Gladiator0161

K, well, since you and Ty's character are near Gladiator's position, I think, I was gonna wait until you guys posted to write my post.

Vengurd

Actually Gladiator, in this case you're off. What defines a robot, android and cyborg are their differences. Robots are, well, generally very general and clunky machines with some very rough programing. They wouldn't even be considered VI (Virtual intelligence) as they would not have any form of thought process so much as a script that is about as flexible as the programmer. A Robot is all wires and functionality.

Android would more closely describe what you see in Star-Wars. They have limited VI functions of various degrees, less scripted and slightly more adaptable.

Cybernetics is what would more closely fit Robo-Cop and Cyborg. Check your material again, Cyborg is nearly fully cybernetic, half the head, most of his chest and abdomen along with his arms and legs (Otherwise he wouldn't be able to detach said limbs). His blood-stream is filled with nanites.

Shana would be a Cyborg, partially mechanical, partially flesh. Patric (And Cat from Reach) would be considered Cyborgs. In fact, most people mistake Spartans to be androids or cyborgs when they are flesh and blood humans that have been biologically augmented first, and encased in a mechanical suit (with the appropriate hook-ups) second.

When you talk about the technical aspect of anything it is best to make sure you know what you are talking about for sure, which means I'ma stop before I get too far into the unknown zones. ;P

Oh and Sushi, good anime.

Gladiator0161

*shrugs* Ok, I was wrong, lol.

Vengurd

Lols. I just noticed something. Nearly every character participating in this roleplay is now injured in some form, be it a wound, scrape, broken limb or other hurt. Congratulations team!

Achievement get: Everyone got a little hurt.

Hunter Phoenix

Haha makes sense that people would be getting injured in such a bodge job of a battle zone XD things are going bad left right and center :p
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

ashia starstreak

Hey I still got three characters uninjured. Jacobs, the coward, and the other male. His squad is half dead though so maybe he's got mental injuries ;)

Glad Shana would be considered a cyborg then. Though with what I stated,  how would a link be connected?

Sushi

*Looks at Valkyrie.*

I don't think she likes getting hurt xD

@Aisha: Yeah, I think that's all logical cybernetics. I'm not sure if the interface in the stomach makes as much sense as the neck or whatnot, though.

@Gladiator: Awesome!

@Venguard: Yus. And manga~

ashia starstreak

I got a thing for stomaches, gummy or rock hard, I like 'em both.

Gladiator0161

Unfortunately Ashia, IRL, mine's a bit gummy, lol.

In other breaking news, lol. I am taking the weekend off and leaving town! Wooooot! Finally! A short vacation!

I've made a reply in the thread, hopefully it'll give Sushi a little to reply to. Sorry it couldn't be more Sushi. I thought about Gladiator laying his head in Valkyrie's lap but, I dunno how she'd react to that, lol. Might not be a good decision in his condition :P

Anyway, I will be back Sunday evening, or Sunday night at the latest. See you later guys, hope you have a good weekend! :D

Vengurd

Lols. Is it me or do most people just play themselves in a character with some variance rather than play the role they choose?

Gladiator0161

I'd say that's true in most cases. I try to put a little bit of myself in my characters whenever I roleplay for instance but, what are you talking about?

Vengurd

Well....this might be a bit offensive here so I apologize in advance to anyone who relates to what I am about to say.

I notice that a lot of people generally 'put a bit of them-self in their characters'. Usually that is fine but in most cases you see people putting the wrong bits of them into their characters, making them out of character and generally out of sync with the roleplay (and the original universe) entirely.

To clarify this is more an observation (and a minor annoyance for me) than picking something someone posted and just nitpicking, which I'm sure this looks like. Least it isn't a three paragraph long message going in the extreme. :P

TyKing

I can't speak for others but I like to relate to the characters I write and so most of mine have 'an essence of me' in them. This is one of the reasons why I tend not to write 'buffed' characters, because I've never had any sort of super/special ability so I can't convey that and make it believable.

As far as the 'wrong bits' are concerned, each writer has a different interpretation of their character and how they fit into the RP. I've written with people who I've thought have been completely off the mark, but in the end realized how boring it would have been if everyone's vision was the same.

Oh, and I'm back. :)

Vengurd

Odd. I remember typing out 'too much' not 'wrong bits'. Oh well. Tired typo has killed my argument. G'night then.