Seeking players and a GM for an unusual D&D 3.5 game... [Update: GM found!]

Started by Kunoichi, April 24, 2015, 12:03:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kunoichi

Quote from: lockepick on May 16, 2015, 10:32:05 AM
@Kunoichi: I'm totally going to take use the Psychic Vampire Alternative -- though not sure on the options listed. I'm going to post my ideas once I finish my write up so there is more context. Any thoughts on how the Wisdom Drain might improve for Vampire Lord? Energy Drain went from 2 levels to 3 levels -- so thought I'd ask. Blood Drain went from 1d4 to 1d4+2 -- maybe Wisdom Drain goes from 1d6 to 1d6+1, Aura goes from 1 to 2?

I'd say to make the Wisdom drain 1d6 + 2 as well, and yes, make the aura deal 2 points of damage.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 16, 2015, 12:16:08 PM
Ooh, looking good thus far, lockepick. ^^

Based on his wording in some previous replies, I think it's safe to say that everyone is probably approved at this point.  What are the mechanical questions you have?

EDIT 3: Reiterating a previous question - since Demon Lord requires Dark Speech, is that being given to us for free or do we have to dedicate one of our regular feat slots to it?

EDIT 4: Is Dragon Magazine material permissible? There's a Trait I'd be interested in - Unnatural Aura, gives a -2 penalty on interaction checks with animals/vermin in exchange for a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks and save DCs for [Fear] magic. I have Wild Empathy, so it does actually impair me to a degree.

I get the feeling we probably don't want any other demon lords to learn about that fact.  Being able to rewrite reality like that tends to draw down a lot of heat...

Most definitely.

Quote from: PaleEnchantress on May 16, 2015, 12:18:55 PM
On the other hand I had been thinking of a couple things as proposed house rules.

First: For our characters and minions, SLA exp costs over 500 exp or 5,000 GP still have to be paid. This lets people have some fun with the no components aspect of SLA's without totally breaking it open.  If you guys are okay with SLA's always being free thats fine, it was just a suggestion.
I don't think it really matters. In my case, I can currently cast Wishes without the XP cost. But if I lost that power, I could just forcibly planar bind Efreeti and enslave them to make Wishes for me (also without XP cost), so it just makes the same end goal slightly more complicated. Substitute any non-Wish spell for the above, there's something somewhere that has it as a SLA and can be summoned+brutalized into submission with magic. We're going up against the likes of Grazz't and Demogorgon, we need every advantage we can get from this far down the totem pole.

Second: Different houserule (easily combined with the above), depending on how the DM hands out exp, exp costs can be really annoying to deal with anyway. I suggest we take a page from pathfinder and annex exp cost from crafting and make exp cost for spell compoenents just change into expensive material costs worth the exp cost x 5 in gp.

No opinion.

Third: Feats are rare gems and its hard to get enough to do anything creative with them. Would anyone else prefer pathfinder feat progression of "every odd level" -
What do you all think?

More feats are always good. I've got the Chaos Shuffle at my disposal to buy Magical Location feats and make them into useful things, but the more slots the merrier (especially if we are charged a Dark Speech feat tax for playing).

Lockepick

@Kunoichi: Thank you :)

@PaleEnchantress: My two cents...
1) I admit, I'm a little terrified about Costless (XP or GP) Wishes. The idea of giving every character +5 Inherent to every Attribute (or however many times he can cast it in a day), never mind basically infinite money via creating nonmagical items under 25K... But that ruling doesn't limit my character at all (I don't think), so I'm not sure I should be the one to speak up about it. The Glyphstone pointed out another way we could get free Wishes, but I'm not sure I understand that process enough to know how much easier it is. I would also say that we should clarify that improving a magic item via Wish doesn't mean that XP cost is part of the 'material components' -- or else he can literally make any/every magic item he wants.

2) My main reason for loving the Pathfinder change to removing XP costs (from spells and crafting) is actually because it means the party stays on the same tier. The Wizard doesn't have to suffer through a session one level lower than the rest of the party. Let's be honest: one 'session' in a PbP might be months.

3) I'm not against it, but I've already taken all the 'flavorful' feats I can think of. So it does little for me. That being said: it certainly doesn't hurt me either. My only caution is for our dear GMs having to give the enemies the extra feats -- mainly the ones already statted/listed.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheGlyphstone

It's a good point that I am not exactly an unbiased observer in the realm of Option 1, I will freely admit this.

Lockepick

So I had a couple of ideas for Methu's Demonic Ability/Qualities that I wanted to offer up for edits. Since it seems like the party as a whole will be the judge on some of this, I'm playing it here in a public place. They're listed in priority of my excitement for them. I might still add some more ideas later, but here's where I am right now.

Special Attack:
1)
Aura of Inebriation

Fluff: Methu has so entrenched and saturated himself with the euphoric high of indulgence that it permeates the very air around him. The best and worst features are pulled to the surface for those who are with or against him; enemies suffering from the debilitating confusion and allies enjoying the positive euphoria.

Mechanics: 30' Aura. Enemies must make a Will Save on the start of their turn or suffer Confusion for 1 rd. Enemies who pass the ST are immune to the effects for four more rounds. Methu never counts as a 'closest target' for Confusion, as they'd never strike their host. Methu and Allies in the Aura gain the effects of 'Heroism' (with a Harmless Will Save to negate, for those who don't want to imbibe). This ability can be enabled/disabled at will. DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Mod.

Source: The main comparison comes from the Remmanon Demon from MMV. The Remmanon does NOT give those who succeed the ST the four round immunity, but that idea came from another monster that I can't remember. The Remmanon gives its allies a +4 (untyped) to hit those effected by the Confusion (which again, must save every turn) -- but I wanted something a little less combat focused. Heroism is a +2 Morale Bonus to Attacks/STs/Skills, and being a typed bonus means we should have better/stronger options. The Heroism effect is meant to be the 'if nothing else' effect.

2)
Ecstatic Spellcaster

Fluff: Enlightenment through excess and ecstasy.

Mechanics: Gain Spellcasting equal a Druid of his Hit Dice (or Sorcerer of his Hit Dice, if we think that's more fitting).

Source: Pretty common!; You'll even see some here have spellcasting ABOVE their Hit Dice.

3)
Improved Grab

Fluff: Dude's a vampire and he grabs stuff and drinks blood and souls and stuff. It's not the most flavorful idea, but would be super helpful.

Mechanics: Typical Improved Grab, but allows target Methu's size and smaller.

Source: Traditional Improved Grab is only things smaller than you -- but I thought being able to effect things my size made sense with the Vampire side of things. Not a lot of Vampire movies where they prey exclusively on children/midgets. The idea of targeting enemies equal (or even larger) is not very uncommon.

Special Qualities:
1)
Connoisseur of Life

Fluff: Methu's expertise in draining the very life essence from his targets, whether it is blood, emotions, or their soul, allows him to improvise new and exciting ways. Spells and magic items can't keep Methu's hunger at bay, and can't keep him from his meal.

Mechanics: Methu's Energy, Wisdom, and Blood Drain can effect targets regardless of any immunities/protections except those immunities inherent to their Type. ie: Constructs/Undead/Deathless still have no blood/soul. Damage can still be healed as normal. Methu can also recognize the 'taste' of anybody he's drank from, should they get away and Methu get another taste, regardless of disguises or polymorphing.

Source: No real basis, honestly. First part was just to be on par, and would be compared to the numerous effects that ignore elemental immunity, or ignore immunity to Mind-Affecting. The latter part I just thought would be cute -- though combined with the aura nature of Drain Wisdom, could see through disguises within 10'.

2)
Tempered by Excess

Fluff: More than a mortals lifetime of indulging in things more decadent, intoxicating, and horrifying than anybody was meant to partake has given Methu's body strength.

Mechanics: As per the 'Signature Weapon' ability, except treat Methu's effective Kensai level as 1/2 his HD, and Methu can only effect his Unarmed/Natural Weapons. I would love to pay GP instead of XP (normal 5:1 ratio) -- at least for any starting 'spent XP' just so that I don't actually start a level lower than everybody else. If that's not an option, perhaps I could take out a 'loan' of XP for this and have the first XP I earn go towards it?

Source: The 'Signature Weapon' ability from Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior. Frankly: improved Unarmed/Natural attacks is bullshit (and boring) in 3.5 -- but Kensai has a neat way to handle it.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Mantis Shrimp Prime

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 16, 2015, 07:52:24 AM
Hehe, if you want join my game (legendary monsters) the recruit thread is in here; https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=227047.0

I might take you up on that offer. :P

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 16, 2015, 12:16:08 PM
Based on his wording in some previous replies, I think it's safe to say that everyone is probably approved at this point.  What are the mechanical questions you have?

Just so. I still want those background though. :P

Second: Different houserule (easily combined with the above), depending on how the DM hands out exp, exp costs can be really annoying to deal with anyway. I suggest we take a page from pathfinder and annex exp cost from crafting and make exp cost for spell compoenents just change into expensive material costs worth the exp cost x 5 in gp.

Let's be real here, I don't hand out exp. I just say... yeahh, I think you adventured enough to level now.

So I was totally behind (or in front of, you could say) Pathfinder's whole "XP is not a commodity" idea.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 16, 2015, 12:26:53 PM
Most definitely.
I don't think it really matters. In my case, I can currently cast Wishes without the XP cost. But if I lost that power, I could just forcibly planar bind Efreeti and enslave them to make Wishes for me (also without XP cost), so it just makes the same end goal slightly more complicated. Substitute any non-Wish spell for the above, there's something somewhere that has it as a SLA and can be summoned+brutalized into submission with magic. We're going up against the likes of Grazz't and Demogorgon, we need every advantage we can get from this far down the totem pole.

Note that if you do anything like this you will get dogpiled by a massive fire elemental/efreeti army, Zaaman Rul, the Sultan of Brass, Imix, all of them.

More feats are always good. I've got the Chaos Shuffle at my disposal to buy Magical Location feats and make them into useful things, but the more slots the merrier (especially if we are charged a Dark Speech feat tax for playing).

You may have Chaos Shuffle, but I have Slam Shuffle!

The Abyss? Never heard of it.

Kunoichi

EDIT 3: Reiterating a previous question - since Demon Lord requires Dark Speech, is that being given to us for free or do we have to dedicate one of our regular feat slots to it?

EDIT 4: Is Dragon Magazine material permissible? There's a Trait I'd be interested in - Unnatural Aura, gives a -2 penalty on interaction checks with animals/vermin in exchange for a +2 bonus on Intimidate checks and save DCs for [Fear] magic. I have Wild Empathy, so it does actually impair me to a degree.

3) A feat slot has to be dedicated to it, though if everyone would strongly prefer it, I can switch it to a bonus feat instead.

4) I think Dragon Magazine material should be subject to approval, but Unnatural Aura sounds fine.

On the other hand I had been thinking of a couple things as proposed house rules.

First: For our characters and minions, SLA exp costs over 500 exp or 5,000 GP still have to be paid. This lets people have some fun with the no components aspect of SLA's without totally breaking it open.  If you guys are okay with SLA's always being free thats fine, it was just a suggestion.

I'm a bit leery of things like costless wishes as well, to be honest.  Part of the entire point of this game is that we're not supposed to be capable of playing at an epic level yet, and being able to toss out wishes freely like that definitely isn't the sort of thing you're supposed to be able to do in a non-epic game.  At least with binding Efreeti you generally wind up earning the enmity of the entire Efreeti race in the process.

That whole bit about not being able to play with the major players in the Abyss is also why I wanted spellcasting capped at HD, incidentally. ^^; Basically, rather than trying to use existing demon lords as a measuring stick, I was more hoping that people would think of them as a 'rocks fall, everyone dies' type of encounter, and would instead try to gauge their power as actual CR 16 monsters.  How much of a challenge would you be for a party of decently-optimized 16th-level adventurers?  Too easy?  A TPK?  Ideally, you'd be somewhere right in the middle, horrible death to an unprepared party, but groups that have done their research would actually stand a chance...

QuoteSecond: Different houserule (easily combined with the above), depending on how the DM hands out exp, exp costs can be really annoying to deal with anyway. I suggest we take a page from pathfinder and annex exp cost from crafting and make exp cost for spell compoenents just change into expensive material costs worth the exp cost x 5 in gp.

I'll need to check the Book of Vile Darkness, but isn't liquid pain an option for that already?

Third: Feats are rare gems and its hard to get enough to do anything creative with them. Would anyone else prefer pathfinder feat progression of "every odd level" -
What do you all think?

I would prefer to keep the standard 'feat every three levels' approach of 3.5, but that's mostly because I'd like to encourage people to take more special weaknesses in exchange for bonus feats.  If people will be taking them anyway, even with Pathfinder feat progression, then I don't have any objections.

TheGlyphstone

Point being that I don't have to, since I get my own supply of Wishes. And if we're not awarded XP, ignoring it as a cost also makes sense.

Though I will ask...are Efreeti really that close-knit and chummy with each other, being Lawful Evil and all, that having one of their (infinite) number be kidnapped and enslaved will bring the entire rest of the race down on the fool who dared provoke them?

I'm gleefully dreaming up special weaknesses already - a vulnerability to Brilliant Energy weapons is one, but I'm not sure about the other.

Lockepick

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 16, 2015, 01:02:09 PM
I'll need to check the Book of Vile Darkness, but isn't liquid pain an option for that already?

A soul and liquid pain are worth 10 XP and 3 XP respectively. It's a neat idea for bad guys -- but unless we plan to have months (if not years) of downtime -- these numbers really aren't going to ever equal anything useful.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: lockepick on May 16, 2015, 01:13:41 PM
A soul and liquid pain are worth 10 XP and 3 XP respectively. It's a neat idea for bad guys -- but unless we plan to have months (if not years) of downtime -- these numbers really aren't going to ever equal anything useful.

And/or significant volume, on the order of hundreds of captives being milked for their pain every day.

Kunoichi

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 16, 2015, 01:03:25 PM
Though I will ask...are Efreeti really that close-knit and chummy with each other, being Lawful Evil and all, that having one of their (infinite) number be kidnapped and enslaved will bring the entire rest of the race down on the fool who dared provoke them?

I view it as being less about being close-knit and chummy, and more about setting examples.  Wishes are a rather prized commodity, after all, and if they let one guy go around getting free wishes from an enslaved Efreet, pretty soon evil wizards will be trying to planar bind them in large numbers to pull off the same trick.

Quote from: lockepick on May 16, 2015, 12:47:17 PM
So I had a couple of ideas for Methu's Demonic Ability/Qualities that I wanted to offer up for edits. Since it seems like the party as a whole will be the judge on some of this, I'm playing it here in a public place. They're listed in priority of my excitement for them. I might still add some more ideas later, but here's where I am right now.

Special Attack:
1)
Aura of Inebriation

Fluff: Methu has so entrenched and saturated himself with the euphoric high of indulgence that it permeates the very air around him. The best and worst features are pulled to the surface for those who are with or against him; enemies suffering from the debilitating confusion and allies enjoying the positive euphoria.

Mechanics: 30' Aura. Enemies must make a Will Save on the start of their turn or suffer Confusion for 1 rd. Enemies who pass the ST are immune to the effects for four more rounds. Methu never counts as a 'closest target' for Confusion, as they'd never strike their host. Methu and Allies in the Aura gain the effects of 'Heroism' (with a Harmless Will Save to negate, for those who don't want to imbibe). This ability can be enabled/disabled at will. DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + Charisma Mod.

Source: The main comparison comes from the Remmanon Demon from MMV. The Remmanon does NOT give those who succeed the ST the four round immunity, but that idea came from another monster that I can't remember. The Remmanon gives its allies a +4 (untyped) to hit those effected by the Confusion (which again, must save every turn) -- but I wanted something a little less combat focused. Heroism is a +2 Morale Bonus to Attacks/STs/Skills, and being a typed bonus means we should have better/stronger options. The Heroism effect is meant to be the 'if nothing else' effect.

2)
Ecstatic Spellcaster

Fluff: Enlightenment through excess and ecstasy.

Mechanics: Gain Spellcasting equal a Druid of his Hit Dice (or Sorcerer of his Hit Dice, if we think that's more fitting).

Source: Pretty common!; You'll even see some here have spellcasting ABOVE their Hit Dice.

3)
Improved Grab

Fluff: Dude's a vampire and he grabs stuff and drinks blood and souls and stuff. It's not the most flavorful idea, but would be super helpful.

Mechanics: Typical Improved Grab, but allows target Methu's size and smaller.

Source: Traditional Improved Grab is only things smaller than you -- but I thought being able to effect things my size made sense with the Vampire side of things. Not a lot of Vampire movies where they prey exclusively on children/midgets. The idea of targeting enemies equal (or even larger) is not very uncommon.

Special Qualities:
1)
Connoisseur of Life

Fluff: Methu's expertise in draining the very life essence from his targets, whether it is blood, emotions, or their soul, allows him to improvise new and exciting ways. Spells and magic items can't keep Methu's hunger at bay, and can't keep him from his meal.

Mechanics: Methu's Energy, Wisdom, and Blood Drain can effect targets regardless of any immunities/protections except those immunities inherent to their Type. ie: Constructs/Undead/Deathless still have no blood/soul. Damage can still be healed as normal. Methu can also recognize the 'taste' of anybody he's drank from, should they get away and Methu get another taste, regardless of disguises or polymorphing.

Source: No real basis, honestly. First part was just to be on par, and would be compared to the numerous effects that ignore elemental immunity, or ignore immunity to Mind-Affecting. The latter part I just thought would be cute -- though combined with the aura nature of Drain Wisdom, could see through disguises within 10'.

2)
Tempered by Excess

Fluff: More than a mortals lifetime of indulging in things more decadent, intoxicating, and horrifying than anybody was meant to partake has given Methu's body strength.

Mechanics: As per the 'Signature Weapon' ability, except treat Methu's effective Kensai level as 1/2 his HD, and Methu can only effect his Unarmed/Natural Weapons. I would love to pay GP instead of XP (normal 5:1 ratio) -- at least for any starting 'spent XP' just so that I don't actually start a level lower than everybody else. If that's not an option, perhaps I could take out a 'loan' of XP for this and have the first XP I earn go towards it?

Source: The 'Signature Weapon' ability from Kensai PrC from Complete Warrior. Frankly: improved Unarmed/Natural attacks is bullshit (and boring) in 3.5 -- but Kensai has a neat way to handle it.

I really like the Aura of Inebriation, though I think you could actually afford to extend it out to 60 ft without it being a problem.  For the Improved Grab, you could probably take a page from the Choker version and be able to start a grapple with creatures up to 2 size categories larger than you.

For Connoisseur of Life, I think it might be a good idea to allow a saving throw when striking an opponent who would normally be immune to your special attacks in some way, but other than that the ability looks good.   The Kensai Signature Weapon class feature is actually a special attack, though, so I'm afraid Tempered by Excess won't work.  You could combine your Monk's Belt with an Amulet of Natural Weapons for your signature item if you wanted, though.  That would give you an unarmed strike and a way to enchant it fairly cheaply.

Zaer Darkwail

Okay, here comes my char (completed), I make his avatar later if GM and folks are okay with it. I took from legendary monster the special attack to have 5th level cleric spellcasting (and I changed the three domains as part of my demonic prince ascension to more suited for Vholdran's personality/theme). So he has 16th level cleric spellcasting (which is almost good as ur-priest one and fits his HD = CL as diviner). Instead extra giant level I took one extra PrC level in Paragnostic Apostle to fill the gap needed for 16 HD (and level in said PrC fits more my char theme anyways if speak what it gives; as my char seeks knowledge as power as main theme along with mystical powers and divinations). As note in his first level he had feat which gave all knowledge skills as class skills (education) and so he retrained it away to get dark speech instead (so he could qualify to enter divine oracle after 5 levels as giant).

Also I took liberty in that obyrith subtype gives me fast healing but it's hard to determine it and I haven't seen creatures with both fast healing and regeneration abilities, so I decide instead increase my regeneration by +10 so it matches closer to some demon lord regeneration (and it's bypassed by fire but also my special weakness makes fire really destructive vs my char so that's why it's 15 than 10).

Vholdran, the seer of Abyss

Size/Type: Large outsider (extraplanar, chaotic, evil, obyrith)
Hit Dice: 16d8+176 (304 hp); Regeneration 15
Resist: 10 Cold and Fire, SR 29
Immunity: Acid, Electricity, Poison, Mind-Affecting
Languages: Common, Giant, Abyssal, Infernal, Goblin, Orc, Elven, Draconic, Celestial, Ignan, Auran, Terran, Aqua, Undercommon, Dwarven, Slaadi
Initiative: +10
Speed: 40 ft, 40'ft flight (good)
Armor Class: 33 (+6 Dex, -1 size, +10 natural armor, +2 Insight, +6 armor), touch 17, flat-footed 33
Base Attack/Grapple: +16/+40
Attack: +37 Fel Fire Staff (1d8+24+2d6 unholy+3d6 surge+brutal surge) or +37 Gauntlets of Destruction (1d6+24 20/x2) or +22 ranged touch spell
Full Attack: +37/+32/+27/+22 fel fire staff or gauntlets of destruction (+4 hit&dmg if have cast magic weapon, greater on either one)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-Alike Abilities, Divine spellcasting, Hidden Spell, Seer's Sight
Special Qualities: DR 20/epic, cold iron&good, Telepathy 100'ft, True Seeing (constant), Gaze of Madness, Change Shape, Darkvision 60'ft, Low-Light Vision, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Scry Bonus, Prescient Sense, Trap Sense+2, Divination Enchantment, Knowledge is Power, Lore, Enhanced Attributes, Prodigy (Int), Enigma Aura, Cloak of Mystery, Abyssal Prophet, Weakness to Magical Fire
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 16th, DC 23+spell level, +3 w/divinations)
   At will--astral projection, darkness, word of chaos, desecrate, detect good, detect law, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, plane shift, polymorph (self only),
   telekinesis, unhallow, cloak of chaos, chaos hammer, invisibility, mage armor (greater), alter fortune
   3/day--symbol of pain, contact other plane, commune with planes (same as commune with nature but works only in planar environment)
   1/day--charm person, cone of cold, gaseous form, sleep, vision, arcane sight (greater)
   1/week--divination
Spellcasting (divine) (CL 16th, DC 23+spell level, +3 w/divinations)
   8--(3 prepared)
   7--(4 prepared)
   6--(6 prepared)
   5--(6 prepared)
   4--(6 prepared)
   3--(7 prepared)
   2--(8 prepared)
   1--(8 prepared)
   0--(6 prepared)
Saves: Fort +24, Ref +21, Will +22 (10 base, +3 MoL, stats, +2 insight to reflex from foresight)
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 22, Con 32, Int 26, Wis 28, Cha 28
Skills: Appraise +18, Bluff +30, Diplomacy +25, Concentration +30, Decipher Script +18, Disguise +18, Gather Information +25, Heal +15, Intimidate +25, Knowledge [Arcana] +31, Knowledge [architecture] +20, Knowledge [History] +20, Knowledge [Geography] +20, Knowledge [Local] +20, Knowledge [Planes] +34, Knowledge [Religion] +20, Knowledge [Nobility] +20, Knowledge [Dungeoneering] +20, Knowledge [Nature] +20, Listen +21, Sense Motive +26, Search +21, Speak Language (8 ranks), Spellcraft +31, Sleight of Hand +15, Spot +21,
Survival +10
Skill Tricks: Never Outnumbered, Collector of Stories, Conceal Spellcasting, False Theurgy, Magical Appraisal, Spot the Weak Point, Swift Concentration, Social Recovery
Feats: Improved Initiative (b), Multiattack (b), Dark Speech, Skill Focus [Knowledge: Planes], Spell Focus [Divination], Insightful Divination, Greater Spell Focus [Divination], Arcane Mastery, Summon Elemental [reserve], Extend Spell, Mindsight
Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 16
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Treasure:
Staff of Fel Fire (86,380gp)
Staff of Fel Fire is unique domain staff which embraces fire domain spells but corrupts them all to evil aligned (automatically apply corrupt spell metamagic feat for them). The staff also counts as +1 Brutal Unholy Surge large darkwood staff when used in combat. Staff also holds three charges which allow increase caster level to overcome spell resistance on foes and also allows three times per day extend spells of 6th level or lower.

Spells in staff;

1: Nothing
2: Corrupt Burning Hands
3: Corrupt Produce Flame
4: Corrupt Resist Energy (cold or fire)
5: Corrupt Firewall
6: Corrupt Fireshield
7: Corrupt Fire Seeds
8: Corrupt Firestorm
9: Corrupt Incendiary Cloud
10: Corrupt Elemental Swarm

(item math; 50,380gp for a +5 weapon, 27,000 (36,000gp) fire domain staff properties (with slight change), 3,500gp (7,000gp) tomebound eye of boccob, 5,500gp (11,000gp) metamagic rod; extend
, Robe of Mysterious Conjuration (10,000gp), Prayer Bead (bless, healing, karma) (9,600gp), Gauntlets of Destruction (14,610gp, +1 cold iron gauntlets), Hood of Persuasion (4,500gp), Ring of Counterspells (4,000gp), wand of true casting 50/50 (750gp), 160gp

Before you stands a 8'ft tall green skinned ogre with milky white eyes and wearing dark purple robes and wearing necklace of skulls made from medium humanoids (elves, humans, dwarves, orcs etc). He carries a fel wood carved burning staff in one hand besides him.

Regeneration: Vholdran restores 15 non-lethal damage per round and all damage he receives is non-lethal. Even if limbs are severed they can be attached back if place bloodied stump back in place or they regrow back. In case of loss of major part (like head) it needs connect to body in 1 minute or else Vholdran dies. Only fire overcomes this regeneration and does lethal damage.

Divine Spellcasting: Vholdran has divine spellcasting like a cleric equal to his HD and he has access to Oracle Domain power (+2 CL to divinations) and domain spell list. In addition he has three other domain spell access but not powers of the domains; Corruption, Destiny and Mind.

Gaze of Madness (Sp): Anyone who fall under Vholdran's gaze in 30'ft are targeted by madness which lurks inside his pervasive corrupted mind (this replaces normal form of madness). Diverting your gaze away from his eyes is no defense against his gaze and target must roll a will save DC 31 or be affected by the gaze. Anyone who succeeds on the will save are shaken permanently until they spend a single day away from abyss (immunity to fear applies here). Those who fail, are struck with a vision of their own demise and are so convinced on the truth of the vision (even if it's false) that they loose all hope and suffer -5 to all rolls and with 10% chance per day their madness makes them perform suicide as means to escape the horrible fate which awaits them. However this madness provides hope; as if they perform a unredeemable chaotic evil deed, their demise does not come to pass. So person can remove their own madness in doing such deed and they receive +5 bonus to all rolls while performing the deed. Once done, their alignment shifts to chaotic evil and madness no longer lurks in them. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to the gaze's effect.

Change Shape (Su): Vholdran can take shape of any small, medium or large humanoid or giant.

Uncanny Dodge+Improved Uncanny Dodge: Vholdran cannot loose dexterity bonus to his AC nor he cannot be flanked unless by 10th level rogues.

Scry Bonus: Gain +1 to save DC with divinations, stacks with spell focus.

Prescient Sense: Whenever faced with reflex save where you would get half of dmg or reduced effect, instead suffer no damage nor effect at all. Works like evasion expect can be done with any armor.

Trap Sense+2: Gain +2 bonus to AC and reflex saves against traps.

Divination Enchantment: Can re-roll with divination spell results with spells like augury and divination.

Knowledge is Power: Thanks stealing secrets from Paragnostic Assembly society and digging into deeper abyssal secrets he has gained handful useful secrets.

• Call of Worlds: Creatures called with summoning (conjuration) gain fast healing 5 for duration of the summoning.
  • Discern Weakness [Evil Outsiders, Good Outsiders]: Thanks studies to weaknesses of outsiders of evil and good Vholdran gains +1 spell save DC added to all spells which target such creatures.
  • Manifest Ethos [Evil]: When Vholdran cast offensive spells against good creatures, half of the damage dealt is from a divine source and cannot be resisted normally.
  • Penetrating Insight: Vholdran gains +1 to CL to overcome spell resistance or dispel other creatures spells.

Lore (Ex): Vholdran can roll a lore check (+23 modifier) and get knowledge as if using bardic knowledge about any subject (or even very obscure ones).

Enhanced Attributes: All spells, spell-alike or supernatural abilities get +4 to their save DC.

Prodigy: Vholdran is natural prodigy in intelligence, so he gets +2 bonus to Int and also +4 to any checks (including skills) with intelligence.

Enigma Aura (Su): Vholdran is capable shrouding his presence from minds of others, so with free action (once per day) he activates a aura which lasts one minute. During it creatures in 120'ft have 50% chance to be unable to attack Vholdran because they do not notice he is there at all.

Hidden Spell (Su): Once per day as swift action when Vholdran casts a spell against a flat-footed foe, the foe receives -4 penalty to all saves against all spells and spell-alike abilities he casts during that turn.

Cloak of Mystery (Su): Vholdran's true name, deeds and origins have been erased entirely from the cosmos, expect from Dagon who is only one who knows his true identity. All divinations cast against Vholdran or gain information about him fail automatically. Vholdran becomes aware of this attempt and he gets name, appearance and location of the caster who tried gain information from him.

Abyssal Prophet (Sp): Thanks countless vision trips to Abyss and it's secrets and opening his mind even further in his ascension, he has gained prophetic powers. His eyes are milky white (appears blind) but he can see just fine. He gets often augury spell effect in regards decisions (decided by GM where it applies) along with small vision regarding decision or task what he is going to take. Also if he needs divine on specific matter he can once per week do meditation which works like divination spell. Also he is under constant foresight spell.

In addition his divination spells and spell-alike abilities are more potent; he can target divinations on foes who either naturally or by spell/item are immune to divinations (or immune mind-affecting as some divinations are). Abyss itself help on his divinations and so only spell resistance and save against spell (or interference of a god) hinder his divinations. However abyss holds no influence to forces which are direct opposite to it, so lawful good outsiders/gods or people are immune to this power (but can be targeted with divinations normally none the less).

Abyssal Gaze of the Seer (Su): Vholdran's can conjure three burning green fire eye spheres, conjuring each sphere is a full round action but once created he can move each eye 40'ft as free action before he takes his own turns (each eye has 40'ft good flight speed). He can see, commune (telepathically) and attack through these eyes (both with spells and physical attacks), however the eyes do not block line of effect, sight and foes can stand even same squares as eyes do (but it renders them vulnerable for his melee attacks). If he moves further than 1 mile away from these eyes, the eyes disappear and they reform back to besides him. Foes cannot destroy eyes (as they are not physical) and they cannot harm Vholdran through them but they can be dispelled (as a 8th level spell with CL of Vholdran's HD), however doing so results the eye returning besides Vholdran himself. Also foes can ready action to attack when Vholdran makes his attack through a eye (he needs place hand/weapon through the eye to able physically attack a foe).

Weakness to Magical Fire: Besides only means to overcome Vholdran's regeneration 15, magical fire spell damage is considered to be vile damage to him, meaning even if he receives lethal damage from the fire he cannot heal it away with any magic nor fast healing or other method at all. He must remain 1 day in unhallowed ground before he can heal the fire damage away. Natural hazard or alchemy created fire damage is not considered vile damage but it overcomes his regeneration.

True Seeing (Su): Vholdran is under constant true seeing effect, this effect cannot be dispelled.

Demon Prince Upgrades

Vholdran
Legendary Monster (+2 CR) Vecna-Blooded (+1 CR) Ogre Magi (+5 CR) Prodigy (+0 CR) Divine Oracle 6/Paragnostic Apostle 5 (+6 CR) Demon Prince (+2 CR) = 16 CR/16 HD
Additional Spell-Like Abilities
   At-will - Mage Armor (greater), Alter Fortune
   3/day - Symbol of Pain, Contact Other Plane, commune with planes (same as commune with nature but works only in planar environment)
   1/day - Vision, Arcane Sight
Additional Weaknesses
Weakness to Magical Fires (Ex) Besides only means to overcome Vholdran's regeneration 15, magical fire spell damage is considered to be vile damage to him, meaning even if he receives lethal damage from the fire he cannot heal it away with any magic nor fast healing or other method at all. He must remain 1 day in unhallowed ground before he can heal the fire damage away. Natural hazard or alchemy created fire damage is not considered vile damage but it overcomes his regeneration.

Abyssal Gaze of the Seer (Su): Vholdran's can conjure three burning green fire eye spheres, conjuring each sphere is a full round action but once created he can move each eye 40'ft as free action before he takes his own turns (each eye has 40'ft good flight speed). He can see, commune (telepathically) and attack through these eyes (both with spells and physical attacks), however the eyes do not block line of effect, sight and foes can stand even same squares as eyes do (but it renders them vulnerable for his melee attacks). If he moves further than 1 mile away from these eyes, the eyes disappear and they reform back to besides him. Foes cannot destroy eyes (as they are not physical) and they cannot harm Vholdran through them but they can be dispelled (CL is Vholdran's HD), however doing so results the eye returning besides Vholdran himself. Also foes can ready action to attack when Vholdran makes his attack through a eye (he needs place hand/weapon through the eye to able physically attack a foe). The eyes cannot enter anti-magic field nor exists in there (anti-magic field removes them for good and need conjured again).
Source: This is based on Hex Windows ability by Sharns from Forgotten Realms (found in monsters of faerun). The change is mostly the appearance, movement speed (20'ft increased to 40'ft which is same as Vholdran's natural flight speed) and distance from 100'ft to 1 mile (so eyes can function as 'watch posts' and fit for demon prince than rare aberration species ability). But all other details are the same as Sharn Hex Windows (added the dispel details as Sharn one lacked as dispel magic needs roll CL check vs mine so I mentioned how it's calculated).

Abyssal Prophet (Sp): Thanks countless vision trips to Abyss and it's secrets and opening his mind even further in his ascension, he has gained prophetic powers. His eyes are milky white (appears blind) but he can see just fine. He gets often augury spell effect in regards decisions (decided by GM where it applies) along with small vision regarding decision or task what he is going to take. Also if he needs divine on specific matter he can once per week do meditation which works like divination spell. Also he is under constant foresight spell.

In addition his divination spells and spell-alike abilities are more potent; he can target divinations on foes who either naturally or by spell/item are immune to divinations (or immune mind-affecting as some divinations are). In short his divinations can be only foiled by spell resistance, successful saving throw (or by divine powers of a god), nothing else.
Source: Simply the prophet special quality in DMG II, originally part my template setup but seer's sight was moved to special attack I used the freed special ability slot to get prophet qualities I wanted (but basically Vholdran had such abilities even before becoming demon prince in background wise). The piercing of divinations/immunities is similar what some other demon prince/archdevils have, so I took it as part of this ability and so this ability counts as two special abilities than just one.

Gaze of Madness (Sp): Anyone who fall under Vholdran's gaze in 30'ft are targeted by mad visions which lurks inside his pervasive corrupted mind (this replaces normal form of madness). Diverting your gaze (or being blind) away from his eyes is no defense against his gaze and target must roll a will save DC 31 or be affected by the gaze. Anyone who succeeds on the will save are shaken permanently until they spend a single day away from abyss (immunity to fear applies here). Those who fail, are struck with a vision of their own demise/dark fate and are so convinced on the truth of the vision that they loose all hope and suffer -5 to all rolls and with 10% chance per day their madness makes them perform suicide as means to escape the horrible fate which awaits them. However this madness provides hope; as if they perform a unredeemable chaotic evil deed, their demise does not come to pass. So person can remove their own madness in doing such deed and they receive +5 bonus to all rolls while performing the deed. Once done, their alignment shifts to chaotic evil and madness no longer lurks in them. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to the gaze's effect.
Source: None specific, albeit Dagon's ability inflicted almost to his charisma modifier amount penalties and considering I have destiny domain as one sources of divine spell, in there is bestow curse (greater) so I sort created similar serious debuf but based on roughly half (rounded up) charisma modifier total for all rolls along with small chance how it can be fatal (drive folks to suicide). Break condition from this curse/madness is doing a deed which changes your alignment to chaotic evil. The truth of the vision Vholdran gaze gives is up to GM but my own suggestion would be it should be 'self manifesting' prophecy (meaning knowledge of existence of the vision drives to make it to become true where ignorance would had led it not be happening).

True Seeing(Su): Vholdran is under constant true seeing effect, this effect cannot be dispelled.

Vholdran's Background

Secret parts only known to Vholdran and Dagon (prelude)

Before becoming Vholdran, he was once known as seeress of eternal burning gazes, or simply called seeres Gaze by casual associates. She was renown for her insight, wisdom, intelligence and mystical powers of prophet which allowed her foresee everything and everywhere all at once in abyss. Naturally it drew the interests (and lusts) of Obox-ob, prince of demons during age before ages era in abyss. It was honor for sure to be chosen to be one his favored concubines and also be his trusted advisor, but seeress Gaze felt in present climate the abyss felt....stagnant and in long run would result to ultimate death of abyss as obyriths only cared about their own internal politics and nothing of about worlds beyond abyss! She could see them, the other worlds. See the variety, potential and also how naturally malicious souls fell to abyss and became reincarnated into tana'ri and which were subjugated into as servants by obyrith overlords.

She knew change was needed but she could not challenge demon prince herself....every scenario she foresaw only saw her ruin or worst eternal imprisonment followed with blindness. Also there was countless rivals and enemies in the obyrith court which she could not any feasible fashion to fight and struggle if she would some miracle succeed defeating demon prince. However she did saw one potential future which would help achieve her goals; but to achieve it she needs get one obyrith to become actively oppose Obox-ob, obyrith which would one day become known as Queen of Chaos. She did her grandest divinations and planning ahead for her coming goal....to shake abyss and set it on course where chaos is ensured where stability is rare luxury, a environment where her seer abilities would become further valued but most importantly ensure wellbeing of abyss instead it shiver on stagnation as she foresaw but kept quiet about it.

Seeress Gaze confronted Queen of Chaos and told (false) future where very soon Obox-ob, prince of demons, will execute her for some offense which she had performed already in the past. Mixing bit truth, knowing the said offense and manipulate the queen of chaos to be alarmed for her own fate and decide lash on Obox-ob with full brutality and hostility not seen in obyrith courts which had grown quite stagnant and predictable peace. Seeress Gaze promised aid Queen of Chaos to help succeed, provide true divinations to her while giving false ones to Obox-ob, telling she had always been unhappy with Obox-ob and finding him revolting but enduring it only because he is more powerful than herself (which all were half-true, she did find him repulsive and disliked him but it was not prime motivation why she helps). Also giving her advices and visions of grander future for abyss and guided and influenced her conquer not just abyss but other worlds as well. This sparked Queen of Chaos ambition greatly.

Queen of Chaos then launched her attacks and her campaign for the throne, strike obyrith society in surprise and shock on her move and Obox-ob did not see it coming (as he had entirely depended on seeress Gaze for any divinations of any uprisings and eliminate them on root level). As Obox-ob talked with seeress Gaze she lied deceitfully to him and her lies led to him to ruin when he faced Queen of Chaos in battle...but as insurance Obox-ob had ensured seeress Gaze dies as well as he does if her visions are false (which were indeed). As Obox-ob died, so did seeress Gaze but that all had been foreseen. As she died, she had placed a grand spell which erased her very existence from abyssal memory, erasing it so no one remembers her nor her name nor it can never be divined, expect one person and she chose Dagon, her only true lover she had got in her life to remember them and their love they shared together.

She had foreseen Queen of Chaos curiosity on prime material worlds, launch campaign to mass recruit tana'ri (it was after all her suggestion), seeress Gaze foresaw the rise of tana'ri against obyriths and the coming wars and near extinction of the obyrith race in abyss and new era in abyss starting. All of it, was part of grand scheme seeress Gaze had laid ground and plans for before her demise....and had laid plans for her coming rebirth which would take a grand cycle to happen. So all went according her plan, even if she knew only a part of her is preserved but rebirth to new kind demonic being is just natural part of life cycle to demons.

Chapter 1: Breaking into abyss

Vholdran was born to world which was primal, ruled over by ogres who subjugated the lesser races into servitude and slavery because they were bigger and stronger. Other races had not advanced in magic nor technology and ogres did not have any natural enemies amongst their kind. Ogre magi, were rare but powerful events in ogre life as normal ogre couple could produce a blue colored ogre child which was destined to be ruler of ogre people and able study magic which is foundation for ogre empire.

His birth occurred during eclipse, during a day where thunders roared while there was no clouds in sky and sky bathed in bright colors of lightning. Many ogres considered the omen mean world was come to end and rivers ran dark red in blood, but little they knew that it was during time when abyss itself had civil war amongst obyriths and it reflected on other worlds. During such dark chaos, Vholdran was born. At first he was thought blind as his eyes were white but that was mere cosmetic detail and so it was later ignored and considered just magical sign of strong magical gifts.

Then even as child he showed he was exceptional; he managed cast divine spells in very young age. Divine magic was something what ogres had never seen before nor understood at all....but Vholdran, through innate insight, understood it's principles and so he mediated and harnessed his mind. He was exceptionally bright and albeit he did not have additional sorcerous powers like other ogres he embraced his divine gifts which came him extreme edge over traditional sorcerer king ogre magi. More so when his prophetic gifts started manifest and he started get visions....about future, past and present. Vholdran saw visions from abyss and something called him very strongly in there. However he had no power to travel there, he figured out a way thanks his visions; strong chaotic violent event along with magical architecture can open portal, a gate, to abyss. So he build in secret, with slaves and his design, a dark portal which he readied with sacrifices and the divine magic he had, then he took disguise of lesser races and started manipulate them, become charismatic leader who pushed lesser races to rebellion! Teach them secrets what no ogre should teach and give them means how to fight!

Soon the lesser races which had been accustomed to being slaves started rebel....desire for freedom and guided secretly by Vholdran who was leader of the rebellion itself, led lesser races in battle against ogres and sorcerer kings! Soon chaos, battle and wild magic flared in both sides as humans wielded divine magic taught by Vholdran against sorcery of ogre kings! World ripples, ground shaking and skies flaring from magical power, such chaos then finally triggers the dark portal to form a gate....then demons, tana'ri, spilled forth and brought their darkness and brutal might of abyss upon the world and started tear place apart.

In coming despair, confusion in both sides and desperation for survival, rebels looked for their leader but they did not find him anywhere. Nor ogre kings could not find renown seer which had been gone for years already. Vholdran walked to the dark portal and walked through the spiraling miasma of darkness and entered abyss.....and he felt he had arrived home.

Chapter 2: Scholar of the Abyss

Vholdran was now in abyss, but even so he was vulnerable to many powerful demons and demon princes. Also his divine magic brought scorn from tana'ri who despised it because it reminded them about gods who had once forsaken the mortal soul (core which from tana'ri are made from) to abyss. But Vholdran was cunning and charismatic and so he used his charms and his natural prophetic ability to earn favors from demons for in return for some gain. Still it did not ensure demons kept their bargain but they started respect Vholdran's accurate divinations and if somebody would come to try boss him, then even if Vholdran did not practice in life his muscles like most ogres did he has surprising lot wallop in his muscles to beat demons up with spiked gauntlets he possessed.

Naturally this led to rivalry with Dagon which is entity which tana'ri had depended on lost lore and information about abyss. Albeit Vholdran is smaller fish in the ocean (Dagon was still superior savant) but was one easier to buy information from in most topics compared to Dagon. Other hand many tana'ri and demon princes required his services and he provided for them. It included also traveling often to places where demon princes are not welcome, like Sigil and gather further information through more mundane means. During one such visits he came across Paragnostic Assembly, they had generous library of lore and information....so Vholdran applied for membership (while disguised as a half-elf). He managed impress the assembly members with his divinations and insights on planar topics during the interview. So they took him in and Vholdran devoured all knowledge he could get hands on. Learning new secrets and for good decade he was highly respected member of Paragnostic Assembly and he rised through the ranks in organization and became very well renown scholar who educated on topics of planar or magic, especially on abyss.

However, he then betrayed Paragnostic Assembly for Vecna cultists who traded some well held secrets of the Vecna sect in return to get raid and loot one well stocked chapter houses. Vholdran aided in the task slaughtering members of the Paragnostic Assembly and one his closest friends in organization asked; why? Vholdran replied; "I learned everything I wanted to learn in here, so I check myself out." Sadly his (former) closest friend, Archmage Alactra, managed escape and survive the attack and report to rest assembly council members about Vholdran's betrayal and his true nature as a ogre magi. Vholdran did not care hide his involvement from the case, as once looting was complete and Vecna followers rewarded him with knowledge he sought (along with magical staff of corrupted fire which became highly useful to him and his favored weapon besides spells) he departed back to Abyss more full time and do his preparations for his.....ascensions which he had foreseen to happen. Since then Vholdran has been in one top wanted by the Paragnostic Assembly to be sought out, brought alive to be punished by assembly or killed if fail to do so. Sadly his natural abilities and his own secrets about abyss help elude the hot pursuit to point it cools down a little, perhaps not in Alactra's case who is still searching for him (considering how intimate and close they were it's no wonder).

Chapter 3: Ascension

Vholdran had always got vision, since his prophetic visions manifested he had seen his ascension; that it was his destiny, to become a demon prince. Albeit at the time he did not understand what it meant but over the decades he had traveled and learned much in abyss and in Paragnostic Assembly to learn what it meant and what caused the ascension to occur. However, he learned that ascension only occurs to those who are native to abyss....at least usually. But he had found through Vecna sect secrets that this is not true as there had been exceptions to the contrary. Only a strong connection, any other kind, to Abyss would allow qualify to become a demon prince and also personal power and being right time in right place.

Vholdran had pin pointed out accurate manner where he should be to acquire such power and he had seen several others to undergo same step and process, so as precaution he had prepared messengers for such exact task to deliver his invitation for his prepared secure meeting place once ascension occurs to the individual. However, even if he had always trusted his visions he wondered; why he had to search a one specific object before his ascension? He had to search a petrified crimson eye from Dagon's own domain, taking big risks he sneaked in to Dagon's dark watery realm and reached to his lair (which was absent as he foresaw it) and inside he passed several wards placed to reach the treasury chamber...and indeed there laid a crimson petrified eye, fossilized by the age and hardened into like beautiful gemstone.

He took the eye and left quickly as he could from the Dagon's layer, none his divinations revealed what eye was but he felt it was important somehow to him to have it to ensure his ascension. So when time ascension came...the eye burned brightly in his palm and exploded with stored abyssal energy which entered Vholdran, turning his blue skin green and he roared loudly to the abyss and abyssal energies warped and changed him painfully.....and then he laughed bellowing laughter as his new improved prophetic powers showed what all it had been about with the eye....to learn that in long cycle ago the shard of his own soul had parted ways from a obyrith princess and entered to infant ogre magi body when brief time barrier to his homeworld had been weakened by the conflict in abyss. He laughed on success on the gambit he (or rather she?) had pulled successfully off! Now was time to just survive long enough to gain more power and stabilize one self in this chaotic and much more lively abyss than ancient abyss had been....

Vholdran's enemies and allies

Vholdran has Dagon as a enemy for two reasons; their shared domain of occultic ancient knowledge and him being prophetic seer (which Dagon is not). Second reason is that he sneaked in most recent past to Dagon's layer and stole eye of his past lover to empower his ascension.

Another major enemy is Paragnostic Assembly (detailed in Complete Champion) which considers him top wanted targets to be captured alive/killed off if possible. They hunted actively but Vholdran hid to heat calm down but his active nemesis is his former close (read; intimate) friend; Archmage Alactra.

Besides those two Vholdran had struck deals with various (countless) demons for shared insight, knowledge and such and had done deals with demon princes (or rather their representatives) in the past. Arcdevils or devils have also benefited from his divinations and other fiendish outsiders. So far only handful good outsiders had benefited from his divinations but only while he was under disguise in the Paragnostic Assembly and through organization he made non-organization related contacts and clients (one biggest one is Vecna cult sect which was very grateful for his cooperation with him albeit he would not trust turn back to them).

Vholdran's Fiendish Aspects (Prophet, Mystic, Messenger and Insidious Adviser)

Aspect of Vholdran
Size/Type:  Large outsider (extraplanar, chaotic, evil, obyrith)
Hit Dice: 8d8+56 (120 hp); Fast Healing 5
Resist: 10 Acid, Cold, Electricity and Fire, SR 20
Immunity: Poison, Mind-Affecting
Languages: Common, Giant, Abyssal, Infernal, Goblin, Orc, Elven, Draconic, Celestial, Ignan, Auran, Terran, Aqua, Undercommon, Dwarven, Slaadi
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40 ft, 40'ft flight (good)
Armor Class: 24 (+3 Dex, -1 size, +10 natural armor, +2 armor), touch 13, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+20
Attack: +17 Fel Fire Staff (1d8+9 + 2d6 unholy) or +17 masterwork cold iron gauntlet or +11 ranged touch spell
Full Attack: +17/+12 fel Fire Staff or +17/+12 masterwork cold iron gauntlet
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Varies (see in below)
Special Qualities: Varies (see in below), DR 10/cold iron&good, Telepathy 100'ft, True Seeing (constant), Gaze of Madness, Darkvision 60'ft, Low-Light Vision
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +11, Will +11
Abilities: Str 26, Dex 17, Con 24, Int 20, Wis 21, Cha 21
Skills: Appraise +10, Bluff +16, Diplomacy +16, Concentration +12, Decipher Script +6, Disguise +10, Gather Information +10, Heal +10, Intimidate +16, Knowledge [Arcana] +15, Knowledge [architecture] +10, Knowledge [History] +10, Knowledge [Geography] +10, Knowledge [Local] +10, Knowledge [Planes] +15, Knowledge [Religion] +10, Knowledge [Nobility] +10, Knowledge [Dungeoneering] +10, Knowledge [Nature] +10, Listen +10, Sense Motive +10, Search +10, Speak Language (8 ranks), Spellcraft +15, Sleight of Hand +13, Spot +10
Skill Tricks: Collector of Stories, Social Recovery, Never Outnumbered
Feats: Dark Speech, Mindsight, Varies (see in below)
Environment: A chaotic evil-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Treasure: +1 darkwood unholy large staff (8,380gp), masterwork cold iron gauntlets 320gp, leather robes (masterwork leather armor) (310gp), 390gp in gems

Before you stands a 8'ft tall green skinned ogre with milky white eyes and wearing dark purple robes and wearing necklace of skulls made from medium humanoids (elves, humans, dwarves, orcs etc). He carries a fel wood carved burning staff in one hand besides him.

Gaze of Madness(Sp): When foes reach 30'ft from aspect of Vholdran, they need roll will save DC 19 or else affected by Vision of Entropy spell. Every round foe remains in 30'ft from aspect must repeat the save and once they leave the 30'ft radius the aura's effect lingers 8 rounds as echo from the effect.

True Seeing (Su): Vholdran is under constant true seeing effect, this effect cannot be dispelled.

There are four aspects of Vholdran and they each embrace a part of him and thus they have different set of abilities or special attacks with each. Details for each one is listed in below;

Prophet
Prophet embraces Vholdran's prowess as a seer, so 'Prophet' holds following special qualities; Abyssal Prophet and Spell-Alike Abilities. Feats of choice are Spell Focus (Divination) and Insightful Divination (because later feat and his at-will ability he has +3 insight bonus to initiative and can anytime spend it to get +3 insight bonus to any save).

Abyssal Prophet (Sp): Thanks countless vision trips to Abyss and it's secrets and opening his mind even further in his ascension, aspect of Vholdran has gained prophetic powers. His eyes are milky white (appears blind) but he can see just fine. He gets often augury spell effect in regards decisions (decided by GM where it applies) along with small vision regarding decision or task what he is going to take. Also if he needs divine on specific matter he can once per week do meditation which works like divination spell. Also he is under constant foresight spell. (because foresight he has +2 insight bonus to reflex saves and AC)

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th, DC 15+spell level, +1 w/divinations)
   At will--Divine Insight
   3/day--Contact Other Plane
   1/week--Divination

Mystic
Mystic embraces Vholdran's offensive prowess with magic and is sort of enforcer type aspect. Mystic has following special qualities; Abyssal Gaze of the Seer and spell-alike abilities. Feats of choice are improved initiative and arcane mastery.

Abyssal Gaze of the Seer (Su): Aspect of Vholdran can conjure one burning green fire eye sphere, conjuring sphere is a full round action but once created he can move eye 40'ft as free action before he takes his own turn actions (eye has 40'ft good flight speed). He can see, commune (telepathically) and attack through this eyes (both with spells, spell-alike and physical attacks), however the eyes do not block line of effect nor sight and foes can stand even same squares as eye do (but it renders them vulnerable for his melee attacks). If he moves further than 1 mile away from this eye, the eye disappear and it reforms back to besides him. Foes cannot destroy eye (as it's not physical) and they cannot harm Aspect through them but it can be dispelled (with CL of Aspect's HD), however doing so results the eye returning besides Aspect himself. Also foes can ready action to attack when Aspect makes his attack through a eye (he needs place hand/weapon through the eye to able physically attack a foe or cast somatic spell).

Spell-Like Abilities (CL 8th, DC 15+spell level)
   At will--Corrupt Produce Flame
   3/day--Corrupt Firewall

Messenger
Messenger embraces Vholdran's aspect as cunning speaker and skills in social interaction and also deception. Messenger has following special qualities; Change Shape, Cloak of Mystery. Feats of choice are communicator and persuasive.

Change Shape (Su): Aspect of Vholdran can take shape of any small, medium or large humanoid or giant, limited to 8 HD or less.

Cloak of Mystery (Su): Aspect's true name, deeds and origins have been erased entirely from the cosmos, expect from Dagon (and true Vholdran) who is only one who knows his true identity. All divinations cast against Vholdran or gain information about him fail automatically. Vholdran becomes aware of this attempt and he gets name, appearance and location of the caster who tried gain information from him.

Insidious Adviser
Adviser aspect presents Vholdran's nature as scholarly adviser and mentor to those who seek knowledge but as saying goes; knowledge is power and power corrupts and thus knowledge corrupts. Adviser has following special qualities; Lore and Prodigy. Feats of choice are knowledge devotion and skill focus (knowledge:planes).

Lore(Ex): Aspect can roll a special knowledge check with +12 bonus which functions like bardic knowledge.

Prodigy(Ex): Aspect is prodigy in intelligence and so gets +4 to all intelligence checks, including skills (all int related skills get +4 bonus).

Combat
Aspects of Vholdran combat tactics wary depending on which aspect your fighting;

Prophet: Prophet is never caught off guard and so he prepares his minions and tactics according what his visions reveal to him. But if he's alone he would avoid conflict than actively seek it but if cornered he uses his fel fire staff to beat his enemies into submission and let his gaze of madness do work for him. If pressured he will fly away from his foes to recover and dig information from his foes to better prepare and even contact enemies if any of those foes and use enemies against them.

Mystic: Mystic would seek control his enemies with using corrupt firewall to separate close combatants from casters and then fly over to attack casters with his staff or fire from above with his corrupt produce flame. He uses abyssal gaze of the seer to spy mostly but he can use the eye as proxy to attack foes who are unfamiliar with powers of his eye or place it center of corrupt firewalls as he can attack through eye and eye is not harmed by the flames. Or use eye as means get close or expand radius of his gaze of madness.

Messenger: If messenger ends up into a fight, it means something has gone wrong badly. But if cornered he fights with fel fire staff and flies away if situation turns bad like prophet would. Messenger amongst the other Vholdran's aspects makes frequent use of dark speech (even if all are capable of it).

Insidious Adviser: Adviser would use knowledge devotion to get insight bonus on his foes and then engage them if cornered, but overall same as messenger something has gone wrong if adviser is fighting.

Lockepick

Special Attacks:
I'll probably go with Aura of Inebriation as my Special Attack then, and upgrade it to 60' -- as it was already my favorite out of the three.

Special Qualities:
1) Connoisseur of Life: Well Blood Drain already requires a pin and Energy Drain already requires a Fortitude save (and a touch). I'm fine with some other qualifier being necessary, though it does make me a little worried that if I need to roll well three times -- I'm unlikely to succeed. How about a 'Caster Level' check versus the CL of the effect stopping him? My HD + Charisma vs the CL+10 of the effect?
2) Tempered by Excess: Ah! My bad. I'll drop it then. As for Amulet of Natural Armor, my main issue is that I've got three different Natural Attacks (Unarmed, Slam, Headbutt) -- and even if I only used it for my main Unarmed, combining it with anything would get really expensive (since you double the cost of the most expensive component).

PaleEnchantress

I would prefer to keep the standard 'feat every three levels' approach of 3.5, but that's mostly because I'd like to encourage people to take more special weaknesses in exchange for bonus feats.  If people will be taking them anyway, even with Pathfinder feat progression, then I don't have any objections.

Liquid pain is an option but that doesn't make it a good option. Doesn't make much sense to jump through hoops to get something that works best for us baseline.

Quote from: Mantis Shrimp Prime on May 16, 2015, 12:58:32 PM

Let's be real here, I don't hand out exp. I just say... yeahh, I think you adventured enough to level now.

So I was totally behind (or in front of, you could say) Pathfinder's whole "XP is not a commodity" idea.

^ Big reason I suggested it.

I know id be taking the weaknesses anyway. I have no clue how anyone, even fighters can ever have all the feats they need, much less all the feats they want. Give me 30 free feats and I promise you ill be waiting for level up so  I can get the next one to augment my build. - My weaknesses so far have to do with my Loumara type.
" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img" class="bbc_img

Lockepick

I haven't figured out a weakness yet, and since I'm sort of... unsure on feats, I wasn't that worried. If everybody else has one though -- I'll gladly do so.

Zaer Darkwail

I think we all must have specific special weakness (in addition any gained via template or race). My case my ogre magic originally had regeneration ignored by fire and acid, but I took acid immunity via legendary monster so I made fire further better used against him. He has resistance 10 though so some fire stuff would not get full impact (and if it's fireball he rolls out from the dmg like a boss).

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 16, 2015, 02:56:01 PM
I think we all must have specific special weakness (in addition any gained via template or race). My case my ogre magic originally had regeneration ignored by fire and acid, but I took acid immunity via legendary monster so I made fire further better used against him. He has resistance 10 though so some fire stuff would not get full impact (and if it's fireball he rolls out from the dmg like a boss).

My first one is being bound to the body Orcus and his minions made for me gives me a physical form, I lose my incorporeality and cant posses anything. - I can use spells like magic jar or Etherealness but I have no natural ability to do so.

Secondly is that I am more vulnerable for ghost touch and force effects.

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: lockepick on May 16, 2015, 02:45:51 PM
I haven't figured out a weakness yet, and since I'm sort of... unsure on feats, I wasn't that worried. If everybody else has one though -- I'll gladly do so.

Considering your character one of your weaknesses can be a high end addiction to something. BOVD has addiction rules.

Lockepick

I was thinking either something along the lines of addiction (but it's hard to pick one thing), or playing off his vampire state. Like allowing him to be Turn Undead'd. Though he's got a +8 turn resist, so that might be like... a bullshit offer.

Re Z L

Quote from: lockepick on May 16, 2015, 03:25:11 PM
I was thinking either something along the lines of addiction (but it's hard to pick one thing), or playing off his vampire state. Like allowing him to be Turn Undead'd. Though he's got a +8 turn resist, so that might be like... a bullshit offer.

Perhaps pure things harm or weaken him (clean/purified water for example)
A&A

Kunoichi

I'm at work at the moment, but I've got a few suggestions for various things that I'll make when I get home, about 5 hours from now.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kunoichi on May 16, 2015, 03:43:33 PM
I'm at work at the moment, but I've got a few suggestions for various things that I'll make when I get home, about 5 hours from now.

Nice :). I would love advices/suggestions for my demon prince char (and special attack or comments on his chosen special qualities). Also do remember if possible in sunday get my feline done in other game (tonight cannot update as I spend +6 hours doing my demon prince :P).

TheGlyphstone

Just a note, but for all my campaigning to keep access to Wishes galore, I won't be too upset if it goes away. Having approximately All The Spells is nice, but I can still maintain my core concept of a fear-based illusionist without them.

Re Z L

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 16, 2015, 05:09:47 PM
Just a note, but for all my campaigning to keep access to Wishes galore, I won't be too upset if it goes away. Having approximately All The Spells is nice, but I can still maintain my core concept of a fear-based illusionist without them.

Psst, Miracle is an Evocation spell you can mimic with Shadowcraft Mage if you can get it onto your spell list...
A&A

PaleEnchantress

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 16, 2015, 05:09:47 PM

I just want to make sure its legal since if were doing it that way id be a fool not to take it too.