If the Cuckoo Doesn't Sing - Modern Era Sengoku Character Harem Game

Started by Idlewyld, May 06, 2016, 10:23:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlewyld

The year is 202X. The world in general, and specifically Japan have entered into an era of turmoil. Nations are engaged in a titanic proportions for nothing less than world dominance. Economic systems are in ruins. People clamor in the streets for a return to stability, prosperity and national prestige. And up from the rubble comes a familiar figure from history, destined to bring Japan back to its former glory - Oda Nobuhina?

Here's the basic idea. The characters would all be modern-day anime harem versions of Sengoku-Era historical figures. They would be working for the redoubtable and implacable yet remarkably naive Oda Nobuhina, aiding her in her overcomplicated attempts to conquer the world and set it to rights, and generally spending most of their time fixing the messes she makes in doing so. I'm thinking a predominantly female cast, though with at least one or two lucky hapless males in their midst. Think along the lines of series like Battle Girls: Time Paradox, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, and especially Sengoku Collection (Parallel World Samurai).

Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=400 padding=8]<URL for optional character image goes here>[/img][/float]
[b]Name: [/b]
[b]Sex: [/b]
[b]Age: [/b]
[b]Orientation: [/b]
[b]Occupation: [/b] <What do you do in real life when you're not busy doing retainer-type activities for the Noble Hina-chan?>
[b]Description: [/b] <If you have additional images, those can go here in spoiler tags>
[b]Historical Basis: [/b] <Which Sengoku-era personality is your character based upon? This can be a very loose interpretation indeed.>
[b]Personality: [/b]
[b]Likes: [/b] <Material things, scenarios, kinks; give us a practical idea of what you want to write>
[b]Dislikes: [/b] <Conversely, those things you don't want in your story>
[b]Backstory: [/b]
[b]Special Skill: [/b] <One thing that sets you apart from the crowd and qualifies you to be a retainer for her Hinaness>
[b]Treasured Possession: [/b] <One item that you always carry with you and can never do without>
[b]If the Cuckoo Doesn't Sing... [/b] <complete this sentence with whatever fits your character best.>

A Person On A Computer

So, I prefer playing male characters that actually have one or two very well-polished skills rather than full on hapless.  Would that be doable or is this not the place for that? 

Idlewyld

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 07, 2016, 12:09:08 PM
So, I prefer playing male characters that actually have one or two very well-polished skills rather than full on hapless.  Would that be doable or is this not the place for that?

Firstly, you'll see that in the character sheet, it is assumed that each character has at least one exceptional skill. Secondly, there certainly is room for at least one competent male - in the form of the genre's "rival" trope (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheRival.

Kokaine

I'm interested but what kind of posting rate are you looking for?
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

Current Post Rate: Moderate

Current Posts Owed: 1/8

My O/Os

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Idlewyld on May 07, 2016, 12:22:30 PM
Firstly, you'll see that in the character sheet, it is assumed that each character has at least one exceptional skill. Secondly, there certainly is room for at least one competent male - in the form of the genre's "rival" trope (see http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheRival.)

The Rival is not really what I'm talking about.  The genre actually has male lead characters who are of ability, especially in anime lately.  There are some that are pretty useless, but that is not the majority of the time anymore. 

If anything, I would rather be like Suginami from Da Capo.  That guy was hilarious. 

But, if I have to play an antagonist to not have to play the incapable male lead role (if that's the kind of male character you would prefer in the game), I would do that. 

A Person On A Computer

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/WriteAHaremHero

To clarify, I'm talking about wanting to write a Type 2.  But, of course, without the Faux Action Girls.  True Companions all the way! 

Idlewyld

Quote from: Kokaine on May 07, 2016, 12:48:00 PM
I'm interested but what kind of posting rate are you looking for?

I would say at least twice a week. Of course, everyone has busy times (at least I do), and so I understand if there will be times we need to bend that rule, but if that's the case, a little advance notice on the OOC thread would be appreciated.

Idlewyld

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 07, 2016, 02:07:10 PM
The Rival is not really what I'm talking about.  The genre actually has male lead characters who are of ability, especially in anime lately.  There are some that are pretty useless, but that is not the majority of the time anymore. 

If anything, I would rather be like Suginami from Da Capo.  That guy was hilarious. 

But, if I have to play an antagonist to not have to play the incapable male lead role (if that's the kind of male character you would prefer in the game), I would do that.

I think we can probably work with that - write up a character and we'll see what we can do.

Idlewyld

Name: Oda Nobuhina
Sex: F
Orientation: Bisexual
Description: Surprisingly petite – 5’2” and 98 lb, with a small frame yet regal bearing. She sports deep brown hair worn shoulder length with one braid and hazel eyes. Hina speaks softly but with the intensity of a star going supernova. She favors traditional clothing like kimonos, though she isn’t above putting on something more modern if the situation requires it.
Historical Basis: Oda Nobunaga
Personality: Like her 16th century namesake, Hina is very sure of herself and her mission to save the world. She is also just as ruthless, never blanching at whatever needs to be done to achieve her goal of world-domination. However, she is also deeply affected by the feudal spirit and will always stand by her retainers as long as they continue to stand by her. Those who serve her well will be richly rewarded indeed. Those who fail, not so much, though she prefers to allow people second chances, or even third and fourth ones if their heart is in the right place and their loyalty is true.
Likes: Power, decisiveness, loyalty, people doing her bidding, and Magical Girl Setsu-chan.
Dislikes: Disloyalty, betrayal, natto.
Backstory: Losing her mother at a young age and seeing her father have to work odd jobs just to keep the family going, Oda Nobuhina has grown up despising the chaos building around her, and has pledged to bring order, stability, and prestige back to Japan. Right now, she’s hit a bit of a hitch as no one actually pays any attention to her, but this is only a temporary setback…
Special Skill: Hina is a natural-born leader, inspiring her followers and coaxing the best out of them.
Treasured Possession: A music box inherited from her departed mother.
If the Cuckoo Doesn't Sing... show him the complete first season of Magical Girl Setsu-chan. If that doesn’t work, shoot him from a cannon at your enemies.

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Idlewyld on May 07, 2016, 04:31:45 PM
I think we can probably work with that - write up a character and we'll see what we can do.
Will do.  I might need a few days.  Probably until the end of this week.  I'm in the middle of medical exams for the term and will be finished by then.  I'll work on the character sheet in between, but I likely won't have anything solid finished until then. 

A Person On A Computer

In respect to our gender-bending of history, I've been looking into major historical female figures to bend into a male character.  I've been looking to make a combination of Kaihime and Lady Saigo, but I'm not adverse to using Nohime instead if you would like a pairing for Nobuhina? 

Idlewyld

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 07, 2016, 07:31:18 PM
In respect to our gender-bending of history, I've been looking into major historical female figures to bend into a male character.  I've been looking to make a combination of Kaihime and Lady Saigo, but I'm not adverse to using Nohime instead if you would like a pairing for Nobuhina?

Part of the fun of the game, I think, is that I expect there to be a whole lot of pairing going on, so I could sign on to either possibility. That being said, another option, were you to be open to it, would be Oichi (or, more specifically, her modern male counterpart.) I could definitely see a schtick forming where Hina keeps complaining about her better-looking-more-popular-more-lucky-(i.e. capable)-ototo-baka...

Kokaine

Still a WIP but this is the general direction I am going...

Name: Date Akemi
Sex: Female
Orientation: Lesbian
Description: Akemi stands 5'11" tall. Her hair is as black as night and often falls rakishly over one eye, even when swept up into her trademark ponytail. In addition to this Akemi has one intense honey colored eye while the other eye remains covered by an eye patch suited to match whatever attire she chooses to wear. Her build is athletic and quite formidable while still bearing feminine curves of note. She typically prefers more modern apparel, often opting for a little flash where possible as she has developed somewhat expensive taste. Her ears are pierced 7 times each and she has a tiny nose stud in her right nostril. She has taken the crescent moon with sparrows flying past it as her personal mon.

Historical Basis: Date Masamune

Personality: At first meeting Akemi often appears very quiet and reserved with a proper bearing fitting of respectable young woman, particularly in public and in more formal settings. However, that's mostly for show. The devious glint in her visible eye often makes a mockery of this expectation as she is forever in on the inside joke; because in truth Akemi is nowhere near so conservative. In fact, she is wildly competitive and a fearless daredevil with an insatiable thirst for victory, no matter how small. This trait can make her exceedingly reckless at times, though thankfully she is a quick thinker by nature, and some even believe she might be a touch masochistic... or possibly sadistic... or both? (She does nothing to either confirm or deny any of this.) Either way, at the best of times she is patient enough to consider her options since she simply cannot stand defeat but at the worst of times--look out! She's prideful but as cocky as she can seem she is always hardest on herself before others, regardless of the circumstances. Her loyalty is not given easily and respect must be earned, but others may be comforted by the fact that she is a woman of her word always and once given she will go to the greatest of lengths to see her tasks accomplished. Because she has no truly close family of her own, Akemi treasures those close bonds made above all else.

Likes: Sports, competitions, challenges, danger, speed, motorcycles, blades, dancing, partying, museums, art, photography, sun bathing, being admired, secrets (having/knowing them), affection
Dislikes: Uncovering her eye, being ignored, losing anything, failure, getting dirty for no reason

Backstory: Akemi was only 4 when her parents, a very influential businessman and his university sweetheart, were slain right before her very eyes as a last ditch resort to quite literally wipe out the competition. It is rumored that is when she lost her eye but since she was immediately sent away to live with her uncle in the States and only returned to Japan under the watchful eye of her grandfather once she was in high school, no one is 100 percent certain. During her high school years, Akemi proved herself to be a brilliant student athlete and earned herself the nickname "One Eyed Dragon" during that time, first as a joke but then as a moniker of respect. It was thought at one time that she might make a go of things on the professional level but alas she did not. In fact, in an odd twist, most recently the young woman has taken residence at her old family home giving some hope that she might have some interest in taking the reins of the family business that should have been hers by birth. Though nothing of note has really happened on that front considering her interests seem to be going a different route, much to her gandfather's dismay. Then again its always been hard to tell for sure what plans Akemi has until they're actually set in motion so who knows? For now though the underground artist known as Masamune has begun to rise.

Special Skill: <WIP> A fearless and unconquerable will and determination to succeed no matter what? | Lightening quick reflexes? | Immense strength?
Treasured Possession: Her father's journals.
If the Cuckoo Doesn't Sing... slice and dice it til it screams!
Current Craving/Looking For: Romance, Adventure, Action, Humor, and Erotica. (F/Any)

My O/Os

A Person On A Computer

Quote from: Idlewyld on May 07, 2016, 08:16:27 PM
Part of the fun of the game, I think, is that I expect there to be a whole lot of pairing going on, so I could sign on to either possibility. That being said, another option, were you to be open to it, would be Oichi (or, more specifically, her modern male counterpart.) I could definitely see a schtick forming where Hina keeps complaining about her better-looking-more-popular-more-lucky-(i.e. capable)-ototo-baka...
I thought about it, but the problem is that I'd rather play a capable character.  Oichi was known more for her beauty and resolve than for intelligence or ability unlike the other choices I had to choose from.  Hell, Kaihime has legends about how she led forces to battle.  Two hundred men against an army of twenty thousand.  And WON.  Due not just in part to force of arms, but also intelligently taking advantage of the opposing army's tactical errors.  Kind of thinking of playing a more intelligent and wise character. 

Also, I'd rather not be married off young to get out of your hair.  :P

Idlewyld

Quote from: A Person On A Computer on May 07, 2016, 08:32:00 PM
I thought about it, but the problem is that I'd rather play a capable character.  Oichi was known more for her beauty and resolve than for intelligence or ability unlike the other choices I had to choose from.  Hell, Kaihime has legends about how she led forces to battle.  Two hundred men against an army of twenty thousand.  And WON.  Due not just in part to force of arms, but also intelligently taking advantage of the opposing army's tactical errors.  Kind of thinking of playing a more intelligent and wise character. 

Also, I'd rather not be married off young to get out of your hair.  :P

True enough - I can't wait to see what you come up with.

In other news, I think we'll need to get of few more players before we get this thing off the ground.

Mclovin

I love Sengoku era stuff, being as well versed in it as I consider myself. This sounds really exciting. Do I have to be a warlord sort of character? Or could I have dibs on fem!Akechi Mitsuhide?  :P
"Our battlefield have no place for that piece of shit God! It's time we take over God's job, we soldiers will take God's place. Put the arrogant ass, God, out of the job!"

Idlewyld

Quote from: Mclovin on May 08, 2016, 05:11:38 PM
I love Sengoku era stuff, being as well versed in it as I consider myself. This sounds really exciting. Do I have to be a warlord sort of character? Or could I have dibs on fem!Akechi Mitsuhide?  :P

We definitely have a need for a Mitsuhide (I'd also like to find someone to play Hideyoshi and Tokugawa as well...)

Kokaine

Still hoping we can get some more peeps interested in this one too ^^

My O/Os

Idlewyld

Sadly, I think that we don't really have enough interest to go ahead with this one at the present time. So I'm going to put it on hold and try flying my other idea instead.

Kokaine

My O/Os