Wuxia Political Drama (Recruiting!)

Started by Inerrant Lust, April 09, 2016, 02:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

Note: It's past 3 AM and this post is probably a mess but here we go! I'll probably be more sensical tomorrow when I answer everyone's questions about my crazy nonsense.

The Emperor is dead. The Prime Minister is dead. The Empress is dead. The capital in Wénzuò is in ruins.

Long live the young Emperor for ten thousand years!!!

Perhaps... we should go back a few months.

The Empire is in a state of civil war. In the south, the province of Shahai have invaded Xin'an over grievances from the last war. Just as they before, Lǎojīng has joined them in this rebellion as well. Yúnshān has been implicated in an attempt on the life of Lord Kuǎi Fēng of Xiàběi. One that was deviously made while he was carefully negotiating with Gosam nationalists. Now relations between vassal-state Gosam are at an all-time low and there are reports of open battle between Yúnshān and Xiàběi.

Of course... while all this was happening, the Emperor suddenly died. Drifted off in his sleep at the age of thirty six. Immediately, Prime Minister Guǒ Fēi and Empress Akita Terumi were at each other's throats, vying for control over the new Emperor, a twelve year old boy. Much of the capital was destroyed during the battle, leaving many in each camp dead. Now the leaders of both factions are dead and the rank and file ministers fear the uncertainty of such a gaping power vacuum...

It is within their power to choose a successor, a regent to guide the young Emperor and help him rule these turbulent lands... But if they choose wrongly, then the fractures within the Empire's structure may only widen- casting their lot in with the wrong man or woman may only plunge the Empire into total war.

So the Emperor's loyal ministers announce a summit. All the provincial lords and ladies of the Empire (barring those openly at war with Imperial authority) are to come to the capital so that a harmonious resolution can be made, a compromise that will be pleasing to everyone involved... right?

Players needed
You can either play a contender for the regency or a bodyguard to one. Either way, you'll have as much an impact on events as you push for- a bodyguard can also be a spy, a diplomat... or an assassin.

Open Slots for Contenders
Yǒuxí, lit. Black Marshes, caught in the middle of the feuding Guo and Akita families of Nanxia and Donghai respectively. An old province, largely untouched in the last war thanks in part for their decision to switch sides and support the Guo/Akita alliance. The only province to emerge from all the bloodshed better off.

Yáojiāng, lit. Remote Border, removed from much of the infighting of the Empire, but adjacent to feuding Xiabei and Yunshan. The land itself is rough and its people hardy. Easily forgettable but then again, the province has a history of producing great military leaders. The only problem is... sometimes they go conquering towards the capital.

Xīshuǐ, lit. West of the River, smack dab in between the two rebel factions, the Shahai/Laojing alliance and the Yunshan who made an attempt on Kuai Feng of Xiabei's life. Not only that, but adjacent to the Akita powerbase in Donghai and currently the only province with an open road to the capital.

Yùyán, lit. Bountiful Salt, a wealthy but war-torn province thanks to the last war. Currently caught up in the same situation as before- sandwiched between mighty Shahai and the Empire proper. Geographically removed from its allies by mountains, it finds itself in a perilous position. Even after the devastation, the thriving salt economy has ensured this province can hold its own.

NPCs
Kuǎi Fēng of Xiabei, King of Chu. The highest ranking lord of the Empire, a veteran of the last war and the Prime Minister's protege. However, he still bears the wounds of Yunshan's attempt on his life. He is married to a princess of Gosam and is the vassal state's viceroy, but many whisper that his personal feelings may embolden the Gosam separatists to finally declare their independence.

Tsū Dzú, Governor of Xīn'àn. Shortly before the Prime Minister died, the governor of Xin'an died in battle against Shahai and his retainers recommended this eighteen year old girl as his replacement. To many of the other lords, she is a mystery... but Shahai hasn't launched a single offensive since she came into power.

Akita Teruko of Donghai. The sister of the deceased Empress and ruler of Donghai. In the last war, she married the lord of Donghai and together they conceived a son. Tragically, the father died in battle not long after that. For sixteen years, she has ruled in his stead, raising their son to one day take her place. As he grows older, many are pressuring for her to step down- but neither Teruko nor her son seem inclined to end her regency.

Guǒ Suàn of Nanxia. The Prime Minister's eldest son. Twenty four years old, he was too young to participate in the last war but has cut his teeth during the current rebellion against Shahai. Considered a shadow to the mighty force that was his father, he nonetheless has proven himself competent in battle and administration. All that being said, the current rebellion can most likely be traced to his father's poor treatment of his adversaries from the last war and his name might be more of a hindrance than an advantage.

Various ministers, eunuchs, and retainers of the capital city in Wenzuo, though the city itself is pretty wrecked since the battle that occurred there.

System and Format

System or no system? A system imposes clear limits on your characters, otherwise you could simply try to kill 'em all to make sure your group ends up on top. Without a system, you'd have to rely on me to adjudicate things. You can have a plan to assassinate someone but you'd have to leave it to my discretion whether or not it'll succeed. In the later case, well-thought out plans, forging alliances, learning your rivals' weaknesses and establishing conditions that benefit you can make your plotting all but certain to succeed.

If or when it comes to 'PVP', I'll do my best to make it fun for everyone involved. No bullshittery here. The imperial guard's still all over the capital, after all...

But perhaps I am overthinking it, as I'm wont to do.  ::)

Florence

I am so very interested! :D

I'm a sucker for wuxia <3 I've actually been recently watching the Chinese tv series "Three Kingdoms" which has really put me in the mood for something like this.

Question, though, how will this game handle female characters? Obviously, women in historical China (with rare few exceptions) didn't have much political pull... but that's not always the case with fiction.

I'll likely play a female character if I join, and I guess that would effect whether I play as a contender or a bodyguard.

As for system or no system, I suppose it depends heavily on the system. I'm not familiar with any wuxia-related systems. I know a few exist, but I have little to no experience with any of them.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

ShadowFox89

I would love to use legend of the wulin with this......
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Heh, that is a very good series. In fact, part of the inspiration for this situation is the Three Kingdoms period. The TV series begins too late, but this situation is kind of a twist on what could have been if Dong Zhuo wasn't allowed into the capital with his army to act as 'peacekeepers' with some other stuff thrown in there as well.

In this setting, men and women are on equal grounds at least among the nobility. It's also got some fantasy things, so all the magic and kung fu of Wulin or even D&D oriental adventures wouldn't be out of place. Part of the reason the capital is in ruins is because the Empress and the Prime Minister were both very powerful, throwing around fireballs and the like.

I should note this is not a setting I have created just for this game, but for the sake of everyone's sanity I'm trying to limit the dispensing of extraneous lore. :P You might have noticed a big wall in the middle of the ocean, but it's hardly relevant to this scenario. All you'd need to know about it is that it's a big costly project that was originally designed to keep mythical sea creatures out. Then there's the whole reason for Shahai and Yunshan's aggression, which aren't entirely illegitimate... but nobody at the summit should sympathize with those traitorous rebels. ::)

TheFourthShade

I'm interested in playing someone (a bodyguard or a contender) from Yùyán but I'm not entirely sure of anything yet.

Legends of the Wulin or FATE would be great for this.

Florence

I think I may shoot for having a character from Yáojiāng, possibly a contender.

I'm still bouncing around various ideas in my head, such as whether I want to go with a character who is more calm and strategic, or more brash and passionate.

Another question is whether she should have a jian or a guandao...
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Inerrant Lust

Yáojiāng is in the frontier, which as I imagine it might necessitate a lot of horsemanship to get around. You know, distant townships and poor roads. Not many extravagances like carriages... It's on the fringe, which means the ruler there has been given quite a bit of autonomy over there. The Jian is certainly more suited to a calm and strategic type... while the Guandao certainly fits a brash and passionate kinda person. Big nasty swipes and whatnot.

I've had a very busy day, but tomorrow I'll get myself caught up to date on Legends of Wulin.

Inerrant Lust

TheFourthShade

Born in Yùyán, Xú Chen Fu was a brave soul if not a wise one.  Schooled by her grandfather in the martial arts, she has learned a traditional path and tries to be as wise as he sounds.  However, she will need to walk her own path, or she will fall.  She is a scion of the noble Xú family that holds great sway in the trade of salt.  Her parents died defending their interests and their country along with her older brothers and sisters, and her grandfather considers her a faint, but final hope for the Empire after years of training.

Her lifestyle has been a blend of savoring upper class amenities and learning from a disciplined master of martial arts.  She attempts to blend the two lifestyles even now, but she finds base temptations as appealing as appearing to be the person who her grandfather and her people want her to be.

Now that she's eighteen years of age, she is likely one of the youngest and one of the most unlikely contenders.  Still, with courage and wit, even a lowly hen can take on a lion, yes?

Florence

I looked over the Legends of Wulin book and I think it could be worth a shot if everyone else wants to go with a system game.

I love freeform stuff, but a system could certainly help people find focus and balance for their character.

Inerrant Lust

You know, if we only have three... then perhaps it might be best for everyone to have two characters.

Sounds odd, but let me explain- I kind of want a mix of plotting and intrigue and those who are just trying to keep their noses clean and be good bodyguards. Having three players would lend itself to a team, but I kind of also want that intrigue and plotting among players as well. ;)

MisoThe Mouse

I am intrigued! Have room for a Peter Baylish type character? Or does anybody need a trusty liaison/ assassin?

Inerrant Lust

Well, in that case... four might be the perfect number of players. :P

Either of those work, Miso. I'd be curious to see a right proper scheming type, but feel free to go with either if it fancies you.

MisoThe Mouse

Well I'm craving both actually. Though I do want the assassin to be attached to somebody, not a freelance type. So if anybody thinks there character could make good use of a spy master, then let me know.

Florence

My character might need an assassin! :D

Wispyr

I'll slap in some tentative interest. Will probably hold out to see some of the characters it produces before I make a final choice.

ShadowFox89

Well, I have two ideas. One is for a bodyguard, the other a corrupt and cruel minister.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: Florence on April 13, 2016, 04:10:06 AM
Then assassin it is! Lemme know what you decide on so I can play off it. Like if you go for passionate, my assassin can be your cold calculator. Or vice versa, you be cold and calculating and I'll be your silent yet zealous protector.

Inerrant Lust

In Wulin, Rank 2 seems to make the most sense for character creation. This is a summit to determine the next leader of a civilization spanning thousands of years and millions of people, after all...

I also might turn Yaojiang into an NPC 'slot', because I think it's fairly inconsequential and a PC from there wouldn't have much motivation to really go for it. Also, if a PC is a contender without a bodyguard- I'll make one as an NPC. If a PC is a bodyguard without a contender, vice versa.

Though, it'd kind of make sense for there to be two bodyguards... one to just stick around and look scary while the other is free to plot on their master's behalf. Or I can just say that the Imperial Guards of the city are usually on the up and up and can be relied to at least ensure the contenders aren't casually murdered in their sleep.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Florence on April 13, 2016, 04:10:06 AM

My bodyguard idea is a doctor-ninja-bodyguard.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MisoThe Mouse

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 13, 2016, 12:24:59 PM
My bodyguard idea is a doctor-ninja-bodyguard.
This is a good combo for the two bodyguard thing that lust mentioned. Your character being the front man, always by the lorf/ladies side. My character being in the crowd or on a roof, slipping the poison in the tea and what not. Just a suggestion

ShadowFox89

Sure, could work. What is your experience with the system?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MisoThe Mouse

None, I'm just a little bitty baby with big boy dreams. But I have played pathfinder for a few years?

ShadowFox89

Alright, so, one of the things with character generation in Legend of the Wulin is called the Relationship Web. It's a chart that has each PC, in some way (often through rote) connected to another PC.

For example, in a previous game in which Wei Li was in.... Wei Li has a twin sister, Wei Lou, who is a member of a secretive order of assassins/criminals known as the Black Lotus Society. One player's mother was also a member of the BLS, and she and Wei Lou were partners. Another player was Wei Lou's ex-girlfriend. Yet another had their wounds tended to by Wei Li before the game started at some point. So everyone has some connection to someone else, even if it's just mistaken identity or common enemy.

For the Wei Li of this game... well, some backstory. Wei Li is the daughter of Silver Talon, second in command of the land's largest bodyguard service known as the Golden Talons. Raised into this, Wei Li has lived all her life training in the world of the Wuxia, or wandering hero. She also has a twin sister, Wei Lou, who was likewise raised in this manner. And while both sisters held the same interests and practiced the same martial arts- Wei Lou slowly began to believe that the strong should not have to suffer the weak while Wei Li gained an interest in the human body, how it functions, and how to save others from suffering. The two paths came to a boiling point when it came time for Wei Li to take her first contract as a bodyguard. Her twin had taken a similar contract, but from the Black Lotus Society to kill her sister's charge. The two fought, and Wei Li's charge was fatally wounded during. Never forgiving her sister, Wei Li swore she would stop her herself one day.
Since then, Wei Li has become known in the protection services circles as both one of the best bodyguards around, and an amazing and talented doctor. She has been known to tend to the wounds of those who attack her charges, if only to find from them their goal.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

MisoThe Mouse

That sounds like a cool mechanic. Can I use this Black Lotus Society in my character's backstory? I think his family would be involved with them, not that he would be a member. Maybe he would have taken contracts in the past, and retained a few connections? But he is forming up to be the lone wolf type. And I would like him to have a much more personal relationship with who ever their charge may be. But I want to wait to know a bit about her backstory before I start making my own. I'm feeling like playing a true supporting character.