Marvel's Dark Defenders [Interest Check]

Started by Foxy DeVille, July 05, 2020, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxy DeVille

The Secret Invasion is over. SHIELD has fallen and HAMMER has risen up in its place. And America’s greatest hero is… Norman Osborn. With his Thunderbolts and Dark Avengers he is the final word in law and order even if that doesn’t include truth and justice. It is a time of opportunity for those willing to dare it. Villains can be heroes and heroes can be… targets.

Having taken over the 50-State Initiative, Osborn decided he needed a group to keep things under control in the New York metropolitan area while he focused on the big picture. So he sent the word out through the underworld for those with the proper amoral fiber to make up this organization. Once upon a time the Defender were a non-team of heroes. Now there is a team of non-heroes called…

So this an idea that takes place during the Dark Reign in Marvel Comics. Much like the Dark Avengers, the Dark Defenders are villains who have assumed the identities of heroes. They will officially be the Initiative team for New Jersey although they will be granted a lot of leeway when it comes to territory. The characters should be the sort willing to take a check for doing dirty work rather than world-beaters on their own. Missions could include going after Superhuman Registration Act violators for the bounty, protecting areas for a fee, punishing unauthorized bad guys, and maybe accidentally doing something good every once in a while. Think of them as super-powered corrupt cops with a really big beat. The team will be officially deputized but pretty much autonomous with a liaison providing a link between HAMMER and the Dark Defenders. Any heroic identity is up for grabs as long as the villain can make it work and it's not one already claimed by one of the original Dark Avengers. Ones that are based on actual Defenders members would be extra cool. Feel free to do little tweaks to your character, consider this to take place on an alternate Earth so there’s room for some flex. Plus I don’t remember stuff from a decade ago in comics perfectly. Thus far the only member is my character, the Dark Scarlet Witch who is actually Tarot from the Hellions (with a lot of the aforementioned tweaking).

So feel free to hit me up with questions, comments, and concepts. Who wants to be a non-hero?

TheBlackThrone

I like this idea. I'll just need to brainstorm on a good concept.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Godsend

Kadigan

TheBlackThrone

I'm thinking of Ultron as an Iron Man type. Is that along the lines of what you were looking for as far as character ideas? Or are you saying because Norman Osborn is Iron Patriot, thus already using a Iron Man type that it can't be used. And picking a Defender, but looking for a villain to be the antithesis is more of what you're looking for?
The gates are open

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: TheBlackThrone on July 06, 2020, 12:11:35 PM
I'm thinking of Ultron as an Iron Man type. Is that along the lines of what you were looking for as far as character ideas? Or are you saying because Norman Osborn is Iron Patriot, thus already using a Iron Man type that it can't be used. And picking a Defender, but looking for a villain to be the antithesis is more of what you're looking for?

Not sure if Ultron is the right sort of character for this. He's an indestructible robot constantly trying to wipe out humanity. Being a part a group of baddies playing "hero" for profit doesn't seem to be in his wheelhouse. And my preference is for Dark versions of actual Defenders members because that will help with the flavor but as it was a pretty fluid group so I'm willing to listen to a nifty concept. Just remember that like the Avengers were the premier hero team and the Defenders were a rag-tag bunch, the Dark Defenders are a side hustle while the Dark Avengers are Normie's bread and butter.

TheBlackThrone

All right; how about Eric O'Grady "Black Ant," which makes for the Yellowjacket concept.
The gates are open

Foxy DeVille

Now we're cooking! Especially since when I was a wee foxy reading my uncle's comics I thought Yellowjacket looked so cool. And Eric's just a fun character.

Kadigan

Marie Bartoc is the Iron Fist that everybody wanted, even if they didn’t know it.

Foxy DeVille

Everything is better with savate! So that's Dark Scarlet Witch, Dark Yellowjacket, and Dark Iron Fist so far. Still plenty of good names to drag through the mud!

And for any fans of how wonderfully weird the original series could get there will be nods to that. Like who doesn't miss Dollar Bill?