Interest Check Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece. (Perhaps mythological perhaps not)

Started by Kate, October 15, 2009, 03:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xanatos

It looks like your wanting almost a reporter like story... awkward way to say it yes, sorry. Couldn't think of anything better.

I was thinking this would be more of a normal style, where we just have our characters behave/interact with NPC's/PC's/Environ.

No offense, but I do not see how a reporter styled documentary could even be remotely interesting. Even the more polished documentaries/biographies/histories can and mostly are intensely boring. I love history do not get me wrong, have an intense fascination for it but never the less I cannot read the above listed forms of history for long before I just 'die' of boredom.

RubySlippers

No on this for me also the BIO style. And what good is being a oracle and telling Caligula in a typical oracle fashion his reign is to be two years, one of the most accursed of Emperors and will die a bloody death. And seeing what he does. Not like that but it will be in there someplace.  ;D

Oracles always seem to be rather cryptic to protect their bases.

ChrisRobin

That is absolutely fine with me. I'm trying to think of a motivated reason for these varied characters to come together. I would love interacting as Xanatos and Ruby Slippers are suggesting. Onward and upward...

O, that a man might smile and smile and be a villain.

Kate

All right... well.

We could be nobels or influential people (remember nobles had plenty of oppitunities for gossiping and spying on others - a "report style character" could just be a noble that employers spys in others houses ... and other noble do talk to them trying to work out whats going on or what dirty they can throw at someone else during public forums).

... we could have it set during a time of Caligula - where we ourselves are very afraid of him and do our best not to get his attention... it would be very hard to be at this time without choosing options that are far from good (lesser of two evils thing).

Thoughts ?

Starkweather

SPARTANS! PREPARE FOR GLORY!

No? Okay.

Anyway, I'm in.

Well, I'll try to get in.

HI, KATE! -Wavewave.-
Ons and Offs
Please add me on LastFM!

I could have made these excuses in my sleep,
As if anyone had doubted them at all.
But if we arm Eritrea then we won't have to pay her
And everyone can go home.

Kate

history can be more or less true from the onset but after that it is how the players move things - not how known history implies things were

Xanatos

I like the idea of being a noble or an influential person, allows for many avenues.

I actually do not know much of Caligula. By the sound of him, was he akin to Stalin and murdered people or was he just fearsome and feared even if it wasn't necessarily ruthless as in murder lots of people?

Kate

RubySlippers

I like Claudius during this time he was very cagey to survive all the purges. And I love how he became emperor the person guard made him emperor and well he told the Senate, if you don't like it talk to THEM. lol

But if I recall he was a fine Emperor more or less.

Caligula did make the palace into a brothel and made the noblewomen come and whore, save the Vestals and a few others such as those serving a god or goddess. Oddly I think since he thought he was Zeus that he couldn't meddle with the clergy of a brother or sister its just bad form.

Kate

it is interesting.

Caligula would give the place an evil feel - so really we can have evil with undercurrents of good or good with undercurrents of evil really...

hard choice huh ?

ChrisRobin

It such a large and varied canvas that we could all have the scope to portray whatever character we chose.
O, that a man might smile and smile and be a villain.

RubySlippers

I'm going with the prophetess idea then who has a vow of celibacy and chastity, thankfully virginity vows technically of that period only considered men and women together. Same sex relationships oddly were excluded.

Will be from whatever family we choose but not live with them she will have her own small holy shrine someone in the good section of the city and that will be her home. Likely going by her first name only since she is in service to a goddess so her loyalties are not just with her family.

Kate

chrisrobin / anyone that knows anything about ancient greece

... keen on helping me set the stage ?

RubySlippers

I would pick a City-State first. Minos and Sparta were the most egalitarian, Sparta the men would be older to not be in their units and women often got by without men around. And were often barely dressed. Minos more traditional but women had more rights if I recall. Most of the others the role for women would be very limited.

Then google away on these.

I favor Sparta since I can get jiggity with other women and no one will give a damned its expected. Minos my character would have to be far more discrete.

RubySlippers

Kate

lol i have to do a bit of reading i think before i get started ... (unless any feel they wish to set the first scene themselves)

Xanatos

So were not starting in Rome? This change feels a bit awkward, doing all this talking about Rome and now suddenly were in Greece?

RubySlippers

Maybe we should do characters first, I tend to favor Sparta they were just so unique. Can change her as needed naturally.

Iezabel, Daughter of Anastasios
The Gaian Oracle

http://fantasti.cc/user/windy67/images/image/39105

The eldest of five children of Anstasios and Helia and the only daughter she was always the pride of the father for a girlchild skilled in performing, dancing and the games plus a keen mind. She was an easy selection very fit as a child and as beautiful as her mother the young child showed the gift of prophecy very young and was entered into the service of Gaia as a novice priestess. Since then she has become a valued member of the Sparta wise above her years, gifted as an oracle and some say the goddess herself speaks to her. Officially she is a virgin but that vow is between men and women, not other women and thankfully Sparta accepts that. A teacher of young girls her home is popular with parents wanting their children mentored and verses in many things but she never acts on this sexually until a girl is of age, sixteen and after their night of holy rites.

Her visions come from Gaia its said and she never used drugs or substances but thigs just come to her when a question is asked. Many come to her for her oracles even from Athens under the decree of the King no on may stop such an emissary even in times of war. The Oracle made such a request herself.

She tends to be lightly dressed like most Spartan women favoring a simple tunic and sandals, and is lightly ornamented her only bauble of note a silver necklace with the symbol of Gaia and the symbol of her status as a priestess. Her hair is long and well kept and is considered her finest feature and she tends it with olive opil daily her one small vice.

yourmomsemo

This sounds wonderful. Mind if I catch up on some reading (old posts) first?
I'd be very interested in doing an Ancient Rome/Greece! I'm also very interested in Ancient Egypt. (:

Le Garçon bon regarder de Nageur.

Kate

Please all read what they can.

On the whole it will likely mainly be in rome,
but relations with the greeks are relevant (ambassadors could be moving between areas, conflicts or agreements eventuate)

remember all i dont intend to control this game concept there isn't a leader or storyteller we are all mutally creating the history as we go ... so in effect all can be "god mode-ing" what those around them are doing / what they are seeing or experiencing or planning etc.

so characters your interacting with that are not players - your god-mode-ing youself.

eg is slippers is a visiting greek priestess ... she may have several accolytes with her perhaps some greek body guards - she is god-mode-ing all of them.

greece is relevent as some characters may be generals attacking greece (defending greece from rome) or diplomats etc -

the most interesting time may be just after Greece is taken over by the romans

Ramster

This game sounds like great fun! Has it started yet? I'm very interested and reasonably knowledgeable about Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and the exotic sexualities of their subjects. Here's an idea: let's have the story take place in the city of Rome itself, it was the liveliest place in the world at the time!
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

RubySlippers

Quote from: Kate on October 24, 2009, 12:58:39 AM
Please all read what they can.

On the whole it will likely mainly be in rome,
but relations with the greeks are relevant (ambassadors could be moving between areas, conflicts or agreements eventuate)

remember all i dont intend to control this game concept there isn't a leader or storyteller we are all mutally creating the history as we go ... so in effect all can be "god mode-ing" what those around them are doing / what they are seeing or experiencing or planning etc.

so characters your interacting with that are not players - your god-mode-ing youself.

eg is slippers is a visiting greek priestess ... she may have several accolytes with her perhaps some greek body guards - she is god-mode-ing all of them.

greece is relevent as some characters may be generals attacking greece (defending greece from rome) or diplomats etc -

the most interesting time may be just after Greece is taken over by the romans

If we are in Rome my character will be Roman, I'll redo her as needed.

AthenaNude

I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but was just wondering if this RP as still open?  I'm up for Greece, Rome, or Egypt for my character's home nation.  Are futa characters okay?