Truth, Justice and Brownies if you got 'em (Superheroes, MHR)

Started by Guancyto, December 26, 2015, 06:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guancyto

This was it. Victory! Every evildoer you know of has been locked away or banished to some other dimension or in hiding. A time of peace upon Earth reigned. For about six months. Now, a new villain has appeared from nowhere and the dastardly fiend has broken open all the supervillain prisons and let loose terror and mayhem upon the world!

Thank fuck. Retirement was terrible! Now you have to get the team back together and stop all the bad guys in high-flying, brightly-colored adventure!

-----------

So this'll be the first game I run on Elliquiy, so I hope you'll all be gentle with me. It'll be set in an original universe where superheroes have mostly Won the Game and bad guys tend to be a little... less effectual than you'd think. It's a little light on detail and we'll fill in things as they become important.

I'm intending it to be a light, fluffy superheroes game, closer to Batman: Brave and the Bold in tone than anything grittier. A game about people in brightly colored costumes punching each other while shouting dramatic lines, or of befriending enemies after the fashion of Earthbound or Undertale.

System will be Marvel Heroic Roleplaying system unless someone can convince me that there's something better to use (MHR isn't published any more, but MnM is a little unwieldy for my tastes).

I say Light but this will be going in Bondage-Exotic because, well, superheroes. You know.

So who'd be game?

Premier

Batman4560

Kunoichi

GunmetalDreamer

I'll put my name forward for interest, but I was under the impression that MHR had no character gen rules...

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

wander

Miroque

FASRIP marvel maybe? Anyway, Im game... IF there is room for Super-Heroine... in way too skimpy spandex..

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/cms/ link for MSH Rpg.. out of product, as TSR is long gone... but its open sourse nowadays..

Kunoichi

Quote from: GunmetalDreamer on December 27, 2015, 02:38:55 AM
I'll put my name forward for interest, but I was under the impression that MHR had no character gen rules...

The character gen rules for MHR are 'work with your gm to make up whatever numbers fit for your character concept'.  They apparently worked pretty hard to have the system be balanced around letting players do that, too.

That said, some of the later event books do have rules for randomly generating characters, if you can manage to get your hands on one somehow and would prefer a little more structure while creating a character.

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

wander

Quote from: Kunoichi on December 27, 2015, 12:20:54 PM
The character gen rules for MHR are 'work with your gm to make up whatever numbers fit for your character concept'.  They apparently worked pretty hard to have the system be balanced around letting players do that, too.

That said, some of the later event books do have rules for randomly generating characters, if you can manage to get your hands on one somehow and would prefer a little more structure while creating a character.

The random roll chargen is a different pdf file actually, I have all the event books (including the very short lived Annihilation one) and it's not included in any of them.

As a veteran of MHR, you get to pick what makes the hero(ine) you want, just go with the concept. It's the Watcher's duty to make sure someone doesn't take the piss and make an uber character. Because MHR is a dicepool game where most people will be rolling 4-5 different sided dice, it all evens out, even if someone is rolling mainly four d10s and the other person four d8s, it's down to the highest two dice you roll that decides your action total.

Oh and if we're doing MHR, I vote to nix the rule on rolling a positive and negative Distinction each roll, people used to take the mick back in the day for farming Plot Points with really tenuous narratives and getting that cheeky extra die in their pools. It's far more fun limiting it to one Distinction and going with either positive for the d8 or negative for the d4 but gaining a Plot Point.

ShadowFox89

Yep, putting in interest. Big Boom, aka Big Bewms, aka Whitney Stone, aka "that crazy fucking dog girl who makes things explode with her mind."
Call me Shadow
My A/A

wander

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2015, 09:51:12 PM
Yep, putting in interest. Big Boom, aka Big Bewms, aka Whitney Stone, aka "that crazy fucking dog girl who makes things explode with her mind."

Now that's someone whose datafile I wanna see! xD

Premier

Be going with Copycat, the fast learning robot girl who is fascinated by everything. EVERYTHING.

wander

Okay, I'mma going with my usual super character, Kitt.

He's a defence and buffing oriented character who has psionic space warping powers; like light refraction invisibility, teleportation and reflective force fields.

Kunoichi

And I'll be bringing a flying brick with laser-vision. ^^ Ace the Wonder-Girl, fictional sidekick to the comic book superhero Captain Paragon, brought to life through the use of magic.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Kunoichi

wander

I just got reminded of Wonder Girl from DC...

Mm, Cassie Sandsmark...  ^-^

Batman4560

I'll be bringing a speedster to the group I think. Is anyone familiar with the system we are using?

Kunoichi

We seem to have a good 2 or 3 people in this thread who are familiar with Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, yes.

Batman4560

Thank god because I have no clue what I'm looking at. :P And by that I mean I have nothing to look at.

Kunoichi

Ah.  Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is a system that was published by Margaret Weiss Productions in 2012.  It's already out of print, though (Marvel canceled the license after just one year because they have ridiculously unrealistic expectations on what sort of numbers a superhero rpg is supposed to be pulling in), so you'll probably have to turn to alternative methods for tracking down a copy of the rules.

Batman4560

wander

Quote from: Batman4560 on December 28, 2015, 10:54:07 PM
I'll be bringing a speedster to the group I think. Is anyone familiar with the system we are using?

It's a fairly simple system when you get down to it, Batman. When it comes time to generate a datafile, I can copy and paste what dice represent what powers into PMs for you, so you'll know what best to give your character.

I could also do that for anyone who doesn't own the system or perhaps post it in the OOC thread so I don't have to mass PM peoples...  :D

Very simply to explain the system though, each character has Affiliation dice (pick one if they're acting alone, with a buddy or three plus), Distinctions (general statements on who they are, you can add these to your pool if they're involved in the narrative for your action in some way), Powers and Skills.

You generally roll one die from each of those four sections, though exceptions exist. You discount any 1s (though the GM will have interest in those and offer to take that die into their own dicepool, paying you a Plot Point for it, these can buy a boost to you) and you pick two die to become your total for the action, with a third die representing how powerful the effect is, here it's sides are important, not the number on it. Anything past those three tend to not matter, usually.