Infinity

Started by greenknight, June 20, 2016, 08:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenknight

Rumor has it Corvus Belli will release an RPG version of Infinity (which already has RPG levels of complexity baked into every model....) While I have no idea of what kind of scenario I'd like to play, would this interest anyone?
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Knarfy

Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

wander

I would be and I know someone else who is psyched for the game on this site too.  :-)

Crash

Yes, when it finally gets released....

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Dhi

I like the setting. The system doesn't seem suited to PbP play. I've thought about running something set on a Nomad freighter or DS9 style space station, but would prefer to do it without a system barrier to entry.

wander

I've got the Quickstart adventure for this now, as it's available on drivethru. I'm very much up for playing this with people. :)

Sprikut

Adore Infinity. Would love to see about maybe running/playing in sometjing. (Freeform, in system, on IRC whatever). Or even just talk shop with fellow players.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on August 13, 2016, 08:56:17 PM
I like the setting. The system doesn't seem suited to PbP play. I've thought about running something set on a Nomad freighter or DS9 style space station, but would prefer to do it without a system barrier to entry.

I am good with or without a system.  I really like the setting.  Nomads are my favorite faction so that works for me, but I could RP any faction and enjoy it.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

wander

I'd rather play with the system in place, though I know I'd play as a Bakunin dude. Because bunny-eared space latina pets.  ;D

Knarfy

I'm still quite interested :)
My O/O thread
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Sprikut

Seems to me we have two options.

1)Free form PbP
2) Weekly/biweekly/whatever IRC system game?

Does that sound more or less right to everyone?

Dhi

I can't commit to a scheduled IRC game.

Knarfy

Hmm, well I don't really like doing IRC. Too time intensive.

On the other hand, I'm not really interested in free-form for this either. :/

It's been a while since I've looked at the rules for this. I've been waiting for them to be finished before I dug in. What is it about the system that seems so ill-suited to PbP? I can't imagine it couldn't be tweaked a bit to make it work.
My O/O thread

Sprikut

Easy answer then it looks like we're looking at PbP.

As I recall a lot of the rules were based around the idea of sessions. Ie: Heat & Momentum controlling the flow of the game. But its been a bit since I looked. Depending on how they are implemented we could assign those things time duration of say a week or a month.

Dhi

This is how I feel about the mechanics and why they wouldn't be a good fit for PbP.

Infinity is a strategic game. The dice mechanic of the wargame is bare bones because that isn't how you win, it isn't a dice contest. How you win is by getting into your opponent's head, anticipating activations, limiting how they can control their pieces. It's much more like chess than it is like Warmachine.

The strategic aspect of the game translates into tabletop through the Infinity Point and Heat resources. The more interesting uses of those resources necessitate a dialog between player and GM that isn't well suited to phone tag. That they will come up at a time when posting is already staggered by combat rounds makes me think it's a bad fit for PbP.

As a player I'm not going to have a very strong opinion on this, but as a GM I would want to mine the cool ideas and remove the dice so the story and characters have the fewest possible hindrances to success.

Knarfy

Hm, that's fair.

Of course, we could just ditch the heat/momentum mechanics, or hell, ditch the dice all together, but still use the bones of the character and gear stats for a loose guided freeform. I wouldn't be opposed to that.

Total freeform has it's place, but any time a game is going to have drama come out of something other than talking, I prefer to have at least a simple system in place, and I feel like doing an infinity game without that sort of drama would be missing out on a lot of the setting.
My O/O thread

Dhi

Out of the pregens, I like the Reverend Moira.

wander

No.

Momentum and Infinity Points, Heat... All work like the plot points and doom pool from Marvel Heroic Roleplaying of which I've played many Pbp games of and it functions brilliantly well. I don't see how Momentum is different from plot points (gonna cite FATE Core too for those) and Heat is the same as MHR's doom pool. If anyone has played those two games in Pbp, this isn't different and you know it can be done.

Having an ooc thread sorts out any discussions. Having a spoiler tag at the bottom of a post saying what a Momentum or Heat will be passed on is simple. It'd be the GM's job to keep track of the Heat Pool and that'll easily be placed in a spoiler tag for their update posts. Nothing tough about it. It'd be like playing FATE Core in Pbp, which happens all the time.

If the game goes freeform, as Dhi seems to want, I'd withdraw my own interest.

Sprikut

I reread the rules this morning and I think Wander is actually right. Theres a few minor things that would have to be dropped/adjusted. (adding heat as a way to penalize waiting for player decisions. Seems to me that running momentum per player instead of group might help too)  But for the most part it seems alright. The only thing that might get alittle awkward is reactions but even then as long as people dont mind a tiny bit of rewind/etc it should be fine.

Dhi

That's your prerogative if you want to use the rules in your game, Sprikut. If I were to join, I'd be interested in the Reverend Moira pregen, like I said. Hacker characters and nuns are both favorites of mine. The bosozoku is also interesting.

wander, I'm not interested in arguing my anecdotal experiences and personal preferences against your own.

Sprikut

Does everyone have access to the prerelease rules from the Kickstarter?

Knarfy

My O/O thread

wander

Yup.

Haven't decided on what pregen I'd be most interested in yet though. Probably one of the final three listed.

Dhi

I have the 42 page Quickstart guide. The physical book is on preorder through a local shop, so I'm not getting the Kickstarter exclusives. But if you decide to run this and I do need something in the exclusives, I don't mind putting in $20 for a PDF pledge level.

Crash

I have the Kickstarter stuff so I can make a character.

Sprikut

So I Kickstarted and my inclination is to get people using the life path system (I don't want to make you buy the book twice though D:)  with a PbP system game (with a few tweaks TBD.) I don't expect daily posts but ideally we'd be getting weekly from everyone to keep things moving.

I'm going to leave my hook below and if you're interested I'd say PM me and we can start sorting the game details from there.

Stage Lights and Surgical Saws

Bakunin, home of VaudeVille and the Praxis Black Labs. The biggest hub of alternative entertainment across the human sphere. Neo-Libertarianism is like a cult to the technicolour masses, go where you please do whatever you want, just don’t get caught, and  don’t endanger the ship. Anything you can imagine, no matter how morally corrupt, you can do here. The brightest minds this side of Pan Oceania come, for the freedom to experiment and research whatever they like.

On the surface the bright colours and free living paint a lovely picture. Bakunin has a darker side, the shady underbelly that makes the lights of VaudeVille blaze. Every day people go missing aboard the ship; some voluntarily in search of a new life, others gets dragged down into the darkness. Destined for the illegal fighting and prostitution rings that entertain the masses. Never stare a Pupnik in the eye, you never know what will look back.

The Moderators, the local constabulary, do their best and it’s a damn well impressive bit of policing they manage but their focus is on the people. Recovering the people, if you can still call them that, that become Pupniks; people whose body and mind have been re engineered. Left with little more personality than an animal and tweaked to provide violent or sexual entertainment. Shutting down the geneslicers that take a few organs while they’re in there. Or just protecting Mother Bakunin from the reckless scientists ready to blow a hole in her the size of an apartment complex.

What they don’t manage to deal with are goods and ideas. For many the services of a surreptitious courier are needed. Enter Carry All Couriers (CAC), if you need a package and don't need the anyone poking around it CAC are the first couriers to contact. For the average client the CAC services are simple pick up a package and deliver it with a minimum of attention paid to it.

Behind closed doors the CAC offers a selection of particularly niche services to  rich clientele. Need to pick up a parcel from a hostile environment, say the business vault of a competing company? Or maybe you just need some cyber cleaning, erasing a record or design plans with extreme prejudice from a server. Client’s buy a meeting to outline their requirements, all details kept confidential and strictly off the books. Then the CAC gives a price for the service, If you have the money, CAC will deliver. So tell me again about this ‘special’ job of yours?

Crash

Couple of questions...

What does [CD] mean in the rules.

and the character I have comes with Armored Paramilitary Uniform (Pilots), but I cannot find it in gear.  Any thoughts on what type of armor that might be?

Dhi

[CD] is Combat Dice, d6. So a pistol that's 1+3[CD] damage is 1+3d6.

Crash

Dhi - Thanks that was driving me nuts!

So when your career earnings says 1+1[CD], you are rolling 1+1d6 and seeing if it is higher or lower than your Earning Rating correct?

Gear is driving me a little nuts too.  Just give me money and a cost chart good Lord!

Dhi

I like it in theory! In practice it's probably just going to discourage purchases. It didn't even occur to me to use the purchase system at this stage, I just looked up my freebie gear and said that looks fine. Plus, I don't think the gear section is anywhere near done.

Crash

You have assets equal to you Personality to use for starting gear, but those a pretty much dice modifiers to an acquisition roll if I am reading things right.

Sprikut

For clarity.

You have Cashflow (5+ Earnings + Lifestyle Expertise) and Assets (Personality + Modifiers).

Cashflow resets at the start of every session and from Asset Management.

Assets need an asset management test to rearrange.

An item costs Restriction is how hard it is to find. So you make a Lifestyle test Vs. Difficulty of the Restriction. You can use Assets to get +1/Asset on this test.

To Buy once you've found it.  Cost + Tariff - Earnings if its more than 0 This is subtracted from your Cashflow and you get a Shortfall (Shortfalls penalize Asset management)

Crash