The upcoming Conan RPG by Modiphius

Started by hellrazoromega, June 04, 2016, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellrazoromega

So did anyone else back this game on Kickstarter? It should be out here soon and the Hyborian Age is ripe as hell for some naughtiness so I was wondering if anyone had any plans for a game?

Muse

Oh.  :)  I didn't know there was a new one.  I thorougly enjoyed the d20 version.  : )
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Thorne

There is. Can't remember who's putting it out, though.

No need to wait, really. There's material on the setting all over the place. Nothing stops anyone running a low-magic game with an existing system. ;p
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

HairyHeretic

Quickstart rules are up on DrivethruRPG

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174829/Robert-E-Howards-CONAN-Roleplaying-Game-Quickstart

I haven't kept an eye on this one, but Conan is always fun to play around with :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

hellrazoromega

Yeah, I backed the KS so I just got a preliminary copy of the character creation rule. The system is the copies 2D20 system which is, at least from what I got out of the quick start is actually relatively simple but deep enough to cover what a system should.

wander

Haven't got a hold of the new Conan Quickstart yet, but I do have the d20 game, am a massive fan of the books (even like the Arnie films, the Mamoa one was 'eh') and of course I'd love to play a game using the new system game when it comes out!  XD

Very Interested!  ;D

hellrazoromega

Quote from: wander on June 05, 2016, 09:44:49 AM
Haven't got a hold of the new Conan Quickstart yet, but I do have the d20 game, am a massive fan of the books (even like the Arnie films, the Mamoa one was 'eh') and of course I'd love to play a game using the new system game when it comes out!  XD

Very Interested!  ;D
I have all the D20 stuff but I have to admit from what I have seen so far I am liking this version better. Admittedly it is still early, so that could change but the system does a great job of capturing the feel of Conan, plus it is the first edition of a Conan RPG that is getting full approval by REH Foundation before print.

wander

I'll pick up the quickstart and take a look at it. Would be up for dipping my toes in that, just to get a feel for the game and see in playing it if I'll purchase the pdf when the full game is released. That it's backed by REH's estate is very promising, though from reviews a few people are finding the system awkward, though I'll give it a go before making my opinion on that.

hellrazoromega

Quote from: wander on June 06, 2016, 11:45:07 AM
I'll pick up the quickstart and take a look at it. Would be up for dipping my toes in that, just to get a feel for the game and see in playing it if I'll purchase the pdf when the full game is released. That it's backed by REH's estate is very promising, though from reviews a few people are finding the system awkward, though I'll give it a go before making my opinion on that.
I will say it is different and there is a mechanic that takes some getting used to called momentum, like with all new things I am sure some will be put off because it does not conform to past norms. But I would be interested to hear your persepctive. Yes the REH thing is promising. In fact, they submit a draft at each stage to the estate and one of the REH historians signs off on it to make sure nothing is straying from the feel of the stories written by REH. That was what got me sold on the Kickstarter, even if the system ends up faltering at least the source material looks like it will be solid, that and the KS did well enough to fund 15 supplements. If you find you like the system I would suggest looking at the KS, they are taking late pledges and $60 gets you the main book and all of the unlocked supplements in PDF.

wander

I should say at this point I'd wish to be a player instead of a GM, however if I dig the system (I'll download the quickstart tomorrow) then I could be up for solo play.