Wanted: Pathfinder Game

Started by ArinTalis, June 03, 2016, 12:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArinTalis

I'm looking for a Pathfinder game in which to play this character. I'm hoping that I can find someone willing to take me on. ;)

That said, this isn't really a complete character sheet so much as it is a character brochure. It doesn't have a home yet, after all. Good characters need point buy totals, level totals, optional rule lists (background skills? Traits? Who knows?), and other important factors in order to survive. Are you a GM who can help give this character a good home?

As a note: I'm more focused on story over smut, and I play my characters as smart as their stats are. They are determined, and have goals to accomplish. However, if a character needs to do unsavory and sexually promiscuous things to survive, or has the option to give into her lust here and there after a hard day of fighting evil, or just plain has awful luck and is given to the evil overlord as a plaything... well that just sounds like a damn good time, doesn't it? :)

Fiona Smythe

Class: Cavalier (Archetype: Huntmaster) (Order of the Guard)
Stats (20 Point buy): Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
Skills with Ranks: Stealth, Perception, Survival, Diplomacy, Profession (Soldier), Sense Motive (level bonus)
Build Type: This Archetype/Class combo plays like a melee oriented Ranger with Paladin Smite and the ability to tank for others. Otherwise, it's a Standard Two Handed weapon murder machine with some really nasty built in bonuses from Huntmaster and Order of the Guard. The synergy with Huntmaster and Challenges alongside its Bird animal companion and some tactic feats... well, it's going to be vicious.
Kink no-nos: Might have an animal companion, but will never engage in sexual acts with said companion. That's just wrong. XD
Character Kinks and Sexuality: Hopefully she starts play at low level - early on she'll have heard about a bunch of neat techniques and positions from when she worked in a mercenary company, but societal concerns mean that she won't have tried much. Experimenting will be half the fun. At a higher level game, she'd have probably had a bit more fun trying different things across various adventures, and will know for a fact that she's a bisexual switch who gets enjoyment out of both vanilla and BDSM options.

Backstory: Fiona Smythe was a child of mercenaries, who brought her along their campaigns. As she grew, she quickly became the company mascot. The Smythe Company successfully assisted a local lord with a major bandit problem, and her father became Sir Smythe. The company became his personal army, and Fiona became something she never expected: A knight (Dame, technically, in medieval parlance). The transition was strange, but it had its benefits: learning falconry had been a particular joy, and she's gained the services of a deadly bird of prey known as Hemmingway. Since her transition to minor nobility, Joining the Order of the Guard as one of her proudest achievements, she currently works as a bodyguard, upholding their ideals as well as her own. 

Blinkin

I wish you luck. :) I have about 10 characters who got into games, then the games died before I really got to play them and people get upset because I want to offer them for another game. *shrugs*
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

A Person On A Computer

That's sad.  I think she looks like a pretty cool character.  I can't GM, but I'd toss my hat into the ring to play in a Pathfinder game alongside her if you get a GM! 

ArinTalis

Thanks guys, your thoughts are much appreciated. ;) I'm hopeful for the future.

Galnius

I too would toss in interest. Keep me updated! 

If I ever decide to gm one I'll let you know as well, but I'm not the best acquainted with gming pathfinder
If you are having a bad day, remember, Kangaroos can't hop backwards. Or just look up drunk deer.

Blinkin

I might be talked into GMing a Pathfinder game, although I'll warn you that my two previous attempts ended quickly. I'll even be honest to admit that it was probably my fault.

I require a lot of effort to be put into the characters and the characters are part of an adventuring party that knows each other well. There would not be a "recent addition" to the party or a character who doesn't act like they want to be part of something greater then themselves.

I also like the Automatic Bonus Progression  option that can be found here.

Background skills would be used, as long as the character's background includes how and why those particular skills are there... as does the traits taken.

I play by 2 rules that are inviolate. Breaking one of these will result in the offending character being removed very graphically from the game.
1. You do not steal from your allies. End of statement.
2. You will not kill, or cause the death of an allie by action, lack of action or intentional means. This includes attacking with a weapon, not defending an ally when such was in need and you could of offered aid, betrayal or just closing your eyes so you "Didn't see it." There is never a justification for this to take place, regardless of what alignment you may want to play to justify it.from the game.

Finally, I don't use maps. I'm blind, and there isn't a mapping system out there that I can use. IF someone wants to assist me with mapping, I would reconsider this point though.

Anyway, I don't have a story arch in mind at the moment, although I could probably come up with something, if anyone wants to give me a try. I will ask that if you want me to GM that you commit to sticking out the game and talking to me about issues before you decide to up and disappear. My job would be to provide you with a fun and enjoyable game, but your side is to play the game and make sure that you get the game that you want.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

ArinTalis

All of your rules are things I abide by anyway, and I've wanted to play with background skills for a while... so hell yes I'm in if you want me. :D

Galnius

If you need basic plot assistance I can help
If you are having a bad day, remember, Kangaroos can't hop backwards. Or just look up drunk deer.

VNConsort

If you guys can come up with a loose plot line and make sure everything gets really organized for success, then I'll consider joining too.
Always Victorious
The Consort's Plots
O/O

Availability: June 2016, resuming activity.  Open for Roleplays

Blinkin

Quote from: Galnius on June 10, 2016, 09:07:41 AM
If you need basic plot assistance I can help

Not sure what you mean by plot assistance, I have an idea, what I'll need help with, if someone's willing to do it, is set up and update a map. Otherwise, there will not be a map.

Quote from: VNConsort on June 10, 2016, 09:08:13 AM
If you guys can come up with a loose plot line and make sure everything gets really organized for success, then I'll consider joining too.

Not sure that I understand...
Define organized for success.

As for a loose plot, I have one for the short term, the long term will depend on what the characters would do. You will determine the direction of the game, I just give you goals to reach and and an overall story arch. The world is yours to play with, so if you want to go from Point A to point B via Points M, D, L, C, G and then to B... that's the way things will go. I'm not a ridged "You must do this and this... or a "No, you can't do that because it's not part of my plans. sort of GM.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Galnius

Quote from: Blinkin on June 10, 2016, 09:15:08 AM
Not sure what you mean by plot assistance, I have an idea, what I'll need help with, if someone's willing to do it, is set up and update a map. Otherwise, there will not be a map.
I've... never actually played WITH a map

Blinkin

It's fine, my son. I started roleplaying before there were mini's, much less maps. I offer the option because a lot of tactics in Pathfinder require movement. A game can be played completely without maps at all.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

National Acrobat

I would be interested in this as well. I've been looking for a solid, long term group oriented pathfinder game here but haven't had any luck so far.

I do long haul. I've run games on another site, a few are going on 10 years, so I'll be committed.

Blinkin

Ok, I’m going to put a very basic teaser, a jumping off point, then some general guidelines about how I run, what I expect and how things will work. As I said, I cannot do maps, unless someone wants to take direction from me in setting them up and keeping track of movement on maps. Otherwise, we’ll play a bit loose and use our imaginations… just like we use to do in the old days.

First, this isn’t a first come-first serve set-up. I’ll give people time to find this thread and offer interest before we get down to tacks. I’m looking for a fairly balanced group of 4 to 5 players. In a nut shell, if you see a type not being offered, tossing in a character to fill that whole may give you a good chance of getting in. Selection will be based on 2 elements. A good character concept (Not the mechanics) and your willingness to stick in and take the steps to really develop characters.

Second thing. I don’t want to see character sheets yet. What I do want is to see the character’s concept. I’ve put a sort of character bio in a spoiler below, fill it out and post it. When we have all of the character bios that I think will be offered, then I’ll ask everyone to tell me how their character would interact with each of those offerings in Character. I want more than “I think that she’s the worst person ever!”, but tell me why. Why do I think this way? It gives me an idea of what sort of character dynamic the party will have.

Character bio

Player’s Name:
Character Name:
Class(es):
Race:
Sex:
Physical Description: (Note: You may use an image, but I will still require a physical description. This will be more than the vitals of measurements and hair/eye. I want to know how they dress and look.)

Personality (A paragraph, or more, please.)

Background:

List 3 non-sexual things that the character simply will not do. (Serious limits, please don’t put “visit a whorehouse.”)

What is the character’s life’s ambition? What drives and motivates him/her?

What do you see his/her role as being within the party?

Respond to the below In Character for your proposed character:
The bartender looked at you over the counter, a mug of ale in his hand and a damp rag in the other. He meets your eyes as he sits the mug down before you, “So,” He says in a rough, gravelly voice, “You think you’re an adventurer?” He points back at a massive skull mounted high on the wall, two long mandibles sticking out from it’s maw… a wide brimmed hat sits on top of it. “Killed that umber… oh… 20 years now, I guess.” He pulled down the color of his shirt to show two scars on either side of his thick neck, “It tried to take a bite out of me, you see.”

Anything else that you think may help your character get into the game?

Third, what I will not allow. We will be using only paiso source material. If someone simply must have something that is 3PP magic or gear wise, contact me in PM and we’ll talk it out. Gunslinger and pscionics are off limits; I've never thought that guns belonged in a fantasy game, and I just don't like pscionics.

A note on races. I would prefer that anyone offering a character pick one of the core races, or one that is not more than 10 BP. If you pick a race that has cultural or societal issues, such as the drow, you should expect to have to deal with them on a regular basis. I know many GM’s prefer to avoid this, but as part of a racial set up, these are meant to be played. Not everyone is a Dritz, and even Dritz spent decades being shunned and distrusted by just about everyone that he crossed.

Ok, Character Generation

*Starting level: 5th.
*25 point buy
*Max HP at 1st. For each Level After this, your options are to either randomly roll for it, or take ½+1 at each level. You must use one or the other, not mix them.
*We are using the Automatic Bonus Progression system. Characters start off with 4,000 GP.
*We will be using Background Skills. That’s 2 extra skill points per level, but only for specific skills.
*2 traits, you may have a 3rd if you take a drawback. Warning! If you take a drawback, it will be played!
*NO evil alignment characters.

Did I miss anything?

A note on “Fast Games.” I’ve seen a lot of people drop from group games because they were too slow… usually Only 1 round of post a wweek… Folks, on a forum, 1 round of post per week IS fast for a forum game. Combat takes forever, and while I could say that I want a post every 3 days…. It only takes one person to kill a game in combat by not posting. So, if someone doesn’t post within 3 days during an encounter, the character will be NPCed for that round. If this happens again, the character will be considered abandoned and dealt with as the GM sees fit.

Initiative will be used, but only to determine attack order between PC’s and NPC’s. To try to make things more streamlined, I will announce, “Two PC’s may act.” This will let faster posters act and give those who are a little slower time to respond. In essence, a PC (or however many beat the NPC’s init) will act, then the NPC’s, and back to the PC’s and so on.

A particular note for anyone offering a character. The characters will know each other and have adventured for some time. I do not want to see a character who either acts like, or actively does not want to be part of the whole. This particular type of character drives me crazy as I must ask, “If you don’t want to be here, why ARE you here?” We will not have any recent additions to the party, everyone will be part of an established group. I'll let the players decide the name of their little band of merry mischief makers.

Erotic content will strictly be the player's domain. If someone wants to visit a house of ill repute, I'll arrange for such a visit, but all sexual content will appear in a side thread so that the flow of the story won't be interrupted. If someone wants to seduce an NPC, or a PC for that matter, I don't have a problem with it, I just don't want it bogging down the game.

Any questions?

The group finds itself standing in the center of an isolated monestary, roiling black smoke rising from a building at it’s center as a couple of dozen monks run a bucket line from the central well to the fire that engulfed the structure. Several bodies littered the ground as a wisened half-orc in blood stained robes looked from the bodies to the group of adventurers again; grief marred his features nearly as much as the soot that streaked his face, “Bandits saught a nights stay, posing as merchants. In the night, they killed several of our order and stole a small chest from the temple. The chest contained cursed items in our protection and they must be retrieved before the chest is opened. Such items cannot be allowed to spread in the world. Do this for me and I will reward you well.”

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

National Acrobat

Player’s Name: National Acrobat
Character Name: Kess Van Ymir
Race:  Elf (Wood)
Sex: Male
Physical Description: Kess stands a few inches under six feet tall, and has blond hair and green eyes. His body also has multiple tattoos, one for each element, and an additional one for fire, as that is his preferred element, and also has some relating to various elven totems. He wears simple garments, usually pants and sometimes a shirt, and goes without shoes unless needed. As a druid, he finds clothing a bother at times, and likes his feet firmly planted on the ground, although certain situations demand the etiquette of shoes, so he has sandals that he will wear if needed. He has a sickle on his belt, but it is worn and looks more like a device to harvest plants. He is stronger than he looks, but not overly strong at all. His slight frame makes him look weak, but in reality, he is average.

Personality: Kess is outgoing, charming and quite amenable to getting along with just about everyone. He likes the natural world, obviously and is most comfortable outdoors. The customs and etiquette of cities and urban areas makes him uncomfortable, and it is obvious at times that he is out of his element in those settings, but he is a quick study, and will always attempt to make an effort to abide by customs and rules of each specific settlement, as long as it doesn't violate his morals or the ways of his gods. He tends to be upbeat, and loves to learn. He will not hesitate to deal with evil, especially undead and unnatural abominations. He loves tattoos and is a tattoo artist himself, and will gladly put ink on anyone who is interested.

Background: Kess is the son of a pair of elven artisans, hence his affinity for the arts and for his own artwork. His mother is a weaver and seamstress, and his father is a metalsmith. While his aptitude is for other forms of art, his parents encouraged him to explore his. He learned as a young elf that he had an affinity for nature and was surprised when forest dwellers who served the Green Faith approached him and recognized his affinity for fire. He then began to learn the ways of the natural world from his mother's sister, a druid herself, and officially joined the faith. He is a sponge when it comes to knowledge, and loves to hear lore, stories and tales of just about any stripe. His aunt also fostered in him the ways nature is twisted, and how the need to combat abominations is a sacred duty of the druids. Unlike many druids, his bond is not with an animal companion, but instead, the power of fire manifested in him, and the Green Faith provides him extra gifts to combat threats against the natural world in the form of an affinity with casting fire. His good nature and personality often have gotten him appointed as a diplomat from his faith when dealing with other faiths or communities.

List 3 non-sexual things that the character simply will not do. (Serious limits, please don’t put “visit a whorehouse.”)

1. He will not associate with or ally with, evil beings, especially not undead. That is a no-go in his mind. As a druid, they are abominations and must be destroyed.
2. As a neutral good druid, he will not attack or kill those that surrender unless they betray him or his friends. A surrendered foe deserves mercy and to be brought to justice fairly.
3. He will not be a snobby elf and he won't stand for others of his kind looking down upon those that don't have elven blood.

What is the character’s life’s ambition? What drives and motivates him/her? Knowledge, and the desire to use his natural gifts for good. He also wants to see as much of the world as possible. He feels blessed to have found a calling so early in life, and wants to use his gifts, but also wants to enjoy life and see other cultures and learn about them. The world is a large place, and he feels a duty to see as much of it as possible during his lifetime. As far as ambition, he wants to climb as far as he can within his faith as he can, to prove to his gods that he is a worthy student and follower.

What do you see his/her role as being within the party? Support, both with spells, knowledge and melee. Wild shape allows for scouting, combat, and aerial/mobile spell casting, and the druid has a fair number of attack spells available, as well as other support spells.

Respond to the below In Character for your proposed character:
The bartender looked at you over the counter, a mug of ale in his hand and a damp rag in the other. He meets your eyes as he sits the mug down before you, “So,” He says in a rough, gravelly voice, “You think you’re an adventurer?” He points back at a massive skull mounted high on the wall, two long mandibles sticking out from it’s maw… a wide brimmed hat sits on top of it. “Killed that umber… oh… 20 years now, I guess.” He pulled down the color of his shirt to show two scars on either side of his thick neck, “It tried to take a bite out of me, you see.”

Kess looked up. 'Where did you encounter it? How did you kill it? Those scars look like they left rather deep wounds. I can imagine what the beast was like as it was threatening and attacking you. Was it hard to bring down, did it have any weaknesses that could be exploited?'. As usual, Kess was full of questions. He hoped the bartender would be able to answer them. It wasn't everyday that you had someone in front of you that was experienced at bringing down such a creature. He narrowed his eyes, studying the shape of the skull, and pulled out a small pad and pen, and began to draw and make notes. 'That would make a fine tattoo for someone. Just look at how menacing it is even dead, and mounted on the wall' he added. The sketch looked a little more ferocious than the skull really was, but a good artist never missed a chance to add their flair, even if subtle, to something. He'd met many bards who had told him that.

Anything else that you think may help your character get into the game?

ArinTalis

I'll give you a full writeup on Sunday. ;) I've got a busy day ahead.

Blinkin

It looks interesting National Acrobat, Lets hope that we see more offereings. I know we have one on the way tomorrow, so no real worries on that.

I do have one question though.

Quote from: National Acrobat on June 10, 2016, 01:12:08 PM
2. As a neutral good druid, he will not attack or kill those that surrender unless they betray him or his friends.

Does this extend to other members of the party, or would he stand by and allow someone else to harm or kill prisoners?

To further expand the question, how does he feel about killing disarmed combatants? This would include spell-slingers with no more spells to cast?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

National Acrobat

Obviously he would try to prevent other party members from harming or killing prisoners, but of course, that won't always be a possible outcome. Good or lawful characters obviously wouldn't, but you can only try to influence others.

As for enemy spellcasters, just because they are out of spells doesn't mean they aren't still trying to kill you, either by leading or coming up with other means. Besides, there's no way to tell an enemy combatant is out of spells, as I highly doubt they'd tell you that, and they lie. Until a battle is declared and an enemy hasn't surrendered, all bets are off, especially if I'm the one attacked. As a druid, he could be considered unarmed when in animal form, that won't prevent their enemies from targeting him.

Blinkin

Sadly, it's not always obvious, nor do good or lawful aligned characters follow that line of reasoning, so I ask questions. No offense was intended.

There is a distinct difference between unarmed and no weapon in the hand. An animal, even one that's only a druid in an animal form, is always armed... unless you pull all of it's teeth and cut off it's feet. In the same sort of vein, there's a difference between surrendering and being taken prisoner. One was, traditionally, treaded differently than the other, so sometimes, I ask for clarification.

At any rate, I've opened a topic on the looking for players forum. Transfer your character profile there and hopefully we'll get enough to make a good game of it. The link is below.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=250956.0
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

National Acrobat

No offense taken. Valid questions and it's always good to get points of view across. I'll post it there. Thanks.

ArinTalis

Closing topic, as game is found and good to go. :)