Godbound! Remake the world in your divine(pervy) image!

Started by Knarfy, March 21, 2016, 10:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knarfy

Ok, I can't take the wait any more.

For those who haven't heard of it, Godbound is a game currently being kickstarted by Kevin Crawford of Sine Nomine games. He is a super cool guy and a great publisher. You can check out the kickstarter here.

I am known by some as a bit of a hater when it comes to game systems, always nit-picking and pointing out flaws in systems (even when I like them), so I hope you take me seriously when I say that this game is friggin great. I've read it cover to cover and I can't find a single thing that I don't like. (I'm sure there's something, but I haven't found it yet!)

Anyway, enough with me gushing over the system.

Does the idea of playing a nascent demi-god ascending to power interest you? Have you ever wanted to shape a society and culture according to your own debauched desires? Dare you face off against the gribbly monsters that spawn from the Uncreated Night (who would obviously want to ravish you for your divine essence), or do battle against the defeated and bitter Angels who would love nothing more than to show an upstart divinity their place?

If you like the freedom offered by fantasy settings, but wish you could achieve a grander scope than ever before, then this just might be the game for you!

I don't really have much in the way of specific ideas, I just really want to play Godbound. The beta rules are already out for backers, and I'm sure any interested parties can acquire a copy.

The one thing I do know is that the game would probably end up in the extreme section, though (in my opinion) on the lighter side of it. I don't much care for gore and the like, though I am open to nearly everything else :P

Anyway, if you're interested, post and discuss!
Godbound: Erry day I'm shillin' it
My O/O thread
Why isn't Knarfy posting? - probably because he is lazy
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Rook Seidhr

Not sure I have time to participate, but this Google Drive folder contains the latest beta rules, as posted by the author for everyone to share and enjoy—not just backers. Hope that's helpful!

Knarfy

Oh man, thanks for pointing that out! I had convinced myself that that was a secret backer only folder for some reason.

Well, even if you aren't interested in this game, you should check out the book anyway!
My O/O thread
"The most iconic hentai is essentially Lovecraftian, in that it portrays sexual pleasure as beyond human comprehension, to which the only possible response is a descent into hedonistic madness." - Anonymous

Tamhansen

Hmm, it reads incredibly like someone took the old deities and demigods book and the birthright ruleset and slapped them together.

That being said, the rules do look like they'd lend themselves to a PbP somewhat easier than most.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Knarfy

Well, based on the whole idea behind the 'old school renaissance' thing Sine Nomine is doing, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not all that far from the truth.

RE: being good for PbP, I (obviously) agree, which is why it's so weird to me that I'm not seeing any Godbound anywhere. I figured someone would have tried to start something by now. I suppose it is less than a month old... :P
My O/O thread

Rook Seidhr

Are you going to allow custom Words? Like, can I play Family/Flesh/Passion?

Also, everyone is probably going to want Passion, so the characters will overlap a lot.

Tamhansen

family, flesh, passion. The god of incest?? Sorry, couldn't resist there.

Also, not sure if everyone wants passion. Looking at historical mythology, neither zeus nor Odin had anything to do with passion, but they still got the most action :P
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Rook Seidhr

Knarfy

I'm certainly not opposed to custom words.

I wasn't planning on running it though, so that may be up to the actual GM (though I might break down and run it anyway :P)

And I don't see a problem with having overlap. Maybe the pantheon ends up as the '7 Lusts' (or 3, or 5, or however many really) I think proper party balance is less important due to the... alternative nature of the game ;)
My O/O thread

Ron Don Volante

Color me interested as a player (playing a demigoddess if that's okay with whoever ends up as GM)
My character and plot repository

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to chat about my or your characters, plots, your work or anything that interests you.

Knarfy

Exxcellent >:)

I certainly wouldn't have a problem with it. I mean, there's a good chance I'll do the same, so :P
My O/O thread

Knarfy

And Godbound is fully funded!

Now to go read through the extra stuff in the delux version...
My O/O thread

Knarfy

Been a while, but would still love someone to run this.

Otherwise I'm slowly working up the gumption to just run it myself. I have a few ideas bouncing a round that I like, but GM'ing has never really been my main draw. :/

Meanwhile, Le Bampu!
My O/O thread

Hobbes1266

I just skimmed the handbook and I would be interested in playing if I can think up a character.

Edit: maybe fertility, passion, and beasts?

Knarfy

Ha! If I actually get to play, that's probably not far off from what I would end up with XD
My O/O thread

Hobbes1266

I was thinking something along the lines of mother of monsters...

Hobbes1266

JoanieSappho

This has my attention, if it gets run. Even though two of the main ideas I had have already been mentioned.  :P

Hmm ... Passion, Command and Endurance, maybe. Or custom words for demigoddess of domination and pain.

Knarfy

I think it would work just as well whether everyone has different spheres, or if everyone is similar.

If everyone is kind of the same, thats fine, they just become a strongly themed pantheon, like the three gods of fate (or boning in this case)
My O/O thread

A Person On A Computer

Oh, do let me know if this becomes a thing!  I'm actually quite interested in playing! 

MadPanda

Cross my palm with bamboo chunks, o supplicant, and I will see what may be done.   ;D

(Fellow backer, here.)

ETA: my first thought on looking at this was 'hey, it's Exalted!  Only OSR!' which led shortly to 'if Exalted, then Scion...' and as per a comment on the google+ group, 'Godbound plus Silent Legions would make Scion'.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Knarfy

Except that unlike Ex3, godbound isnt a horrible dumpster fire of a game :D (sorry, my nerd hate is bleeding through)

I have no problems with a more scion like game. Heck, if I had ever found the time to run it, it would have been set on modern day earth. :P
My O/O thread

MadPanda

Loved Exalted...the setting.  The rules?  Kind of burned me out way too fast (especially when trying to run a campaign with more than two kinds of Exalted in the damn party).

Will probably be lazy and go with Arcem for my first try, but Scion OSR is definitely on my list!  Or, hmmm...Other Dust /Stars Without Number.  The Scream works pretty well for an 'oops' down in the Department of Works.

ETA: GM interest check post in the works now.  Interest Check is up!  I suck at writing game ads.  Bear with me, s'il vous plait.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=251092.0
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook