DC Very AU: Justice Academy [Recruitment Thread]

Started by TheBlackThrone, October 13, 2018, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackThrone

I didn’t quite understand my purpose at first. I don’t even know how I came across this helmet, but once I had put it on, everything was made clear to me. I understand what I must do to save this world—this reality. I don’t think they know who they are or why they have the powers and abilities they have. I must find them and teach them before the Lords of Chaos do. They must become heroes for our future depends on it. They must become the Justice League.

--Joseph “Joe” Schneider, Founder of the Helmet of Fate, the New Dr. Fate and Headmaster of Justice Academy

This game is an entirely alternate universe approach to DC. You will be playing a canon hero from the DC Comics universe who will be a teenager (18+) or tween in this universe. Dr. Fate will have brought the heroes to his academy much like how Charles Xavier finds new mutants. He knows who your character is supposed to be, and his intent is to train and guide that character into becoming the hero we know them as.

Because the story is going this way, you are free to recreate the canon character’s background. Their story is going to go how you make it because this is an AU. How did they find the green lantern ring? How did they become Batman? How they become the hero Dr. Fate expects them to be is left up to your making. They will all be students, dorming, training, and going on missions to combat the forces of evil and injustice. The introduction to this game is simple for I feel this concept is simple and leaves a lot of creativity and maneuverability open to the writer. Romance, character relations, everything will be what you make of it.

If this idea interests you, then please make a character reservation. Dr. Fate will be a GM character for the purpose of guiding the game. See this as an open sandbox with GM-guided missions and training scenarios that will pop up and writers will be allowed to submit their characters for them.

Villains are not allowed to be played. However, players can ask to NPC villains in a GM plot if they so desire. I will present the academy description below along with the Character Sheet. Again, please make a reservation. You can hold the reservation for seven days, but if you don’t ever drop a WIP to let me know you’re working on a CS, then by the seventh day, you will lose your reservation.

Location: Fictional Island, Norsisle, Off the coast of Chile, South America

Welcome to Justice Academy, a school designed to foster the fated heroes of the world. Here, your character has enrolled at this school because they became suspicious that they are different from the rest of society. There was something uncanny and unusual about themselves, and they just have to discover what that is. At this school, they will train, live, and learn to work as a team with other unique students. They may be developing their abilities and don’t have a full grasp of them yet or may have developed them and don’t know how to control them. Try to bring a character who needs some development and not one who doesn’t need development. Characters will have come from all walks of life and may not have even originated on planet Earth.

The Justice Academy appears to be a quaint school that anyone would expect rich kids to attend, but it is actually a hi-tech fortress designed to endure the brunt of the student’s powers and those attacks which the enemy may bring to it. The school is designed to protect the students from others and themselves, and so a scarce few outside the academy know of its existence. The students are encouraged to keep the academy’s whereabouts a secret even if the academy is unknowingly to them, hidden by magic.

The academy has three accessible floors:

1st Floor – Reception Hall, Banquet Hall, Kitchen, Study/Library, and Elevator.
2nd Floor – Dorm Rooms
3rd Floor – Senior Member Rooms (Students with longevity in this game will be able to live on this floor eventually. But when they do reside here, they are no longer students but teacher/mentors. Their jobs will be to welcome and mentor the future.)

The academy has three restricted floors:

Basement Level 1 – Hi-Tech Gym, Training Rooms, Blast Rooms
Basement Level 2 – Research Facility/Infirmary – medical and security/intel systems to include a ritual room.
Basement Level 3 – Simulator – the simulator is the largest equipment needing an entire floor dedicated to it. The simulator functions like the Danger Room.

Outdoors:

Front Yard – Open Lawn and Salt Lake (the sea is just on the other side).
East Property – Racing track for vehicles or “speedsters.”
West Property – Flower Gardens/Hedge Maze
Backyard – outdoor Olympic-size pool and sandlot

Special mentions: Running path; there is a running path that wraps around the entire island perimeter for those characters who like to go for a run. The Salt Lake has a dock for those who like to swim or fish. The gardens are a great picnic or meditation area.

You can drop a WIP in this thread or PM me the sheet. I do not mind, but please PM me or let me know when you are finished building your CS.

[float=right][img height=250]One picture of the face claim and one of their super hero guise.[/img]
[b]Face Claim:[/b] Write their face claim here.[/float]
[b]Name:[/b] Character’s Canon Name. I know there may be cases where the hero could have been anyone such as in Dr. Fate’s case, or a Green Lantern’s case. But try to pick a canon character.
[b]Alias:[/b] They may not have a hero name right away for they haven’t decided on one.
[b]Archetype:[/b] Example who they will eventually be and who they are supposed to be: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.
[b]Age:[/b] 18-23
[b]Height: [/b]
[b]Weight: [/b]
[b]Hair Color: [/b]
[b]Eye Color: [/b]
[b]Race: [/b]Human, Alien, Cyborg, etc.
[b]Gender: [/b] Male/Female
[b]Personality: [/b]This is the personality you give the character.
[b]Current Story: [/b] Dr. Fate most likely found them and brought them to the school, but what was their life like before the school? Why did they agree to come to the school?
[b]Powers: [/b] You can list powers they currently know and then color in gray powers they will eventually learn. If they don’t have special powers, write N/A.
[b]Abilities: [/b] Abilities are more physical abilities. Example: Martial Arts, Acrobatics, Hacking, Escape Artist, etc. Your character’s talents and abilities will go here.
[b]Character Relations: [/b] This will be filled out as you guys interact and meet each other. If your character arrived together with another character, then that may be an already pre-made relation.

1. Communicate. This is my most important rule. I do not have to know what is going on in your real life. Just tell me if you will be absent or away for some days, and I’ll accommodate.
2. Interact. My second most important rule. Please come to this game with the intention of writing and story-weaving with others. I know the missions will help bring those writers together who have never written with each other before. But please come here to write with others.
3. Compromise. If someone is playing a character that you really wanted, then ask them for it. You don’t know if they picked the character lackadaisically. Just communicate. If the person isn’t willing to give up the character, then they’re not. Always come to a game with more than one desire.
4. Teen Titans/Young Justice. Some characters in the Teen Titans can be played in this game. Some characters like the Robins were created as a result of another character, in this case, Batman being in existence. Batman can always become the mentor of these characters in the future. If you don’t want to play the character as a mentee and would rather them be a lone wolf to begin with, such as making Dick Grayson Nightwing right away, then you can.
5. Be Respectful. Do not be passive aggressive. Do not be rude. Be respectful. As a GM, my role is to keep this game moving and to weed out anyone who may be putting a damper on everyone’s fun. Do not be the damperer.
6. Weak CS. Do not send me a CS where I or anyone can tell that you barely worked on it. Your CS will not pass. If the GM tells you to add more to your CS, and your reaction is to have an attitude, then you will not even be allowed into the game. If you have an attitude with the GM, then you would have attitudes with other players and that behavior is not tolerated in this game or on Elliquiy if you remain persistent.
7. Choose from either Justice League or Teen Titans. There will be no other compromise. It is the theme and point of the story in this game.
Rules may grow as necessary.

Q&A
This is where questions not answered in this introduction go.

The Question

Rachel Roth (Raven) - Timeless
John Williams (Bruce Wayne/Batman) - Franklin
Clark Kent (Superman) - Norsegod1839
Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) - TheBlackThrone
Kara Zor-El (Supergirl) - Lady Lunarius
Koriand'r (Starfire) - Saika

Threads

Character Thread

OOC

IC
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Strings

Franklin

This sounds like an interesting concept, and I woudl be interested in reserving Bruce Wayne/Batman.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Franklin on October 13, 2018, 12:47:41 PM
This sounds like an interesting concept, and I woudl be interested in reserving Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Woo~! Bold one for taking Batman. It's nice to see someone confident for handling such a deep character. I can't wait to see what you create and I'll post him for reserve. If you decide on a face claim, let me know.
The gates are open

Franklin

I've played Batman before and always enjoyed it...by far my favorite character in the DC universe. I've never tried a trainee version of the character before, and I was just curious how much latitude I had with the current living conditions. For example, I can see Bruce not wanting to be restricted to the school but wanting to set up a sort of training facility for himself off base (as a control and privacy freak, I can see him already contemplating the idea of needing a secret base to work from). He also might want to keep his identity a secret from the others, though I'm not quite sure how that would work. I was also thinking (yes, I think about Batman a lot...lol) that there might be, or he might be starting, a subsidiary of Waynetech in the nearby town that Bruce woudl start taking a more active interest in as he realizes that not only is it another way to fight crime (by donating to charities and such) but the technology can help in his personal vendetta. So I was just curious if I could incorporate that and a couple of NPC's from the town to flesh the character out. But I don't want to step on your toes and try and shape your world to much.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: Franklin on October 13, 2018, 01:02:29 PM
I've played Batman before and always enjoyed it...by far my favorite character in the DC universe. I've never tried a trainee version of the character before, and I was just curious how much latitude I had with the current living conditions. For example, I can see Bruce not wanting to be restricted to the school but wanting to set up a sort of training facility for himself off base (as a control and privacy freak, I can see him already contemplating the idea of needing a secret base to work from). He also might want to keep his identity a secret from the others, though I'm not quite sure how that would work. I was also thinking (yes, I think about Batman a lot...lol) that there might be, or he might be starting, a subsidiary of Waynetech in the nearby town that Bruce woudl start taking a more active interest in as he realizes that not only is it another way to fight crime (by donating to charities and such) but the technology can help in his personal vendetta. So I was just curious if I could incorporate that and a couple of NPC's from the town to flesh the character out. But I don't want to step on your toes and try and shape your world to much.

Him setting up his own secret base is absolutely fine. I agree with you completely that that is very batman-y and he has always liked his privacy. As for the "Batman" alias. I'm leaving that up to you if he has that alias already or it is an alias he will eventually have. He is a person who is coming to this school because he feels he has abilities that sets him apart from others. The Batman identity should be the end result of his training at the school. If you decide to go beyond the school, the closest country across the water is Chile. The island is isolated because it's a headquarters and training ground for the future heroes. It's not meant for anyone to easily have access to or know the existence of.

He could even make WayneTech in the basement levels by "borrowing" the technology. If he was able to breach the basement all by himself, being tech savvy, then that alone would be an impressive feat to set him apart from normal people.
The gates are open

yaracyrrah

Interest!  As Supergirl.

Norsegod1839

I'm interested in joining as Superman or failing that Constantine.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: yaracyrrah on October 13, 2018, 03:19:11 PM
Interest!  As Supergirl.

I'll reserve it.

Quote from: Norsegod1839 on October 13, 2018, 03:39:28 PM
I'm interested in joining as Superman or failing that Constantine.

I'll reserve Superman for you.  :-)

Hey guys, welcome.  ;D
The gates are open

Norsegod1839

Juggtacular

Norsegod1839

Oh man good point!

Question with Shazam though! Would this be a eighteen year old Billy Baston who turns into an eighteen year old looking Shazam? Or an eighteen year old Billy Bastion who turns into a older like thirty year old Shazam? Or is he just always Shazam and Billy Bastion is the usual 13-15 years old? Just curious.

Juggtacular

I was planning on this being an 18-twenty-something year old Billy who just turns into a more muscular, mature form of himself.

Norsegod1839

Cool! I think that works out pretty well! Thanks for answering my question.

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open

TheBlackThrone

The gates are open

EvieFrye

Ok, I am placing a flag of interest.

Would Catwoman be allowed since sometimes she is an anti-hero? What about Harley Quinn? Since there are cases she has tried to help the good guys.

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: EvieFrye on October 14, 2018, 01:46:08 AM
Ok, I am placing a flag of interest.

Would Catwoman be allowed since sometimes she is an anti-hero? What about Harley Quinn? Since there are cases she has tried to help the good guys.

I'll say yes to Catwoman because she is mostly a lone wolf. Harley, no.

To further elaborate on why Harley isn't permitted is because she was created by the Joker. Without the Joker, she probably would have never been who she is. Because the Joker is a villain in this game, I cannot allow her.

Let me know if you're still interested in Catwoman and I'll reserve her.
The gates are open

EvieFrye

Yes, I am very interested in cat woman. One thing I know, is her back story isn't fully defined, from what I know, as to how she got started. So I see alot of potential.

Norsegod1839

Evie! Welcome aboard.

Something you might find interesting is that they just di a YA novel on Cat Woman for DC Young Reader Line (Basically Iconic writers taking on iconic DC characters) in it she was actually trained by Talia and Nyssa Al Ghul to be part of the league of Assassins. Basically taking this starving thief off the street and turning her into a powerful bad ass woman pretending to be a weathly socialite.

Not saying you ahve to go that route at all BUT just goes to show Cat Woman is one of those characters you can spin a ton of interesting origins from.

EvieFrye

Hey Norse. Yeah, I didn't know that, but it works. I may not use them, but I think I have an idea.

Saw you grabbed Superman. Wouldn't it be kind of interesting if he and Catwoman paired up, and not the whole her and Batman? To make it really AU?

Norsegod1839

I was thinking about that to! Them pairing off.

I kind of got this sort of Step Up movie idea in my head of the two of them being dancers who slowly fall in love.

EvieFrye

Oh I like that. I was thinking with Catwoman, she had an abusive home life, and her only real friend were her cats. When she got out she was on the street. But from there we can figure out where she goes to dancing.

Norsegod1839

Entirely up to you! We can Pm or Discord about it. I might have some ideas and can help you with your sheet when they come up.

EvieFrye

Timeless

>->; I know I shouldn't, but.. *plants a flag* Hope you don't mind me reserving Raven. I'll have to see about this sheet.