Political D&D 3.5e with an adult twist

Started by ivygrowth, December 09, 2010, 06:06:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivygrowth

I'm thinking of running a D&D 3.5e game focused around the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.  However a player could probably get by without the book, as most of the details of building the stronghold would be handled IC.

The basic premise is that a group of heroes (and possibly a few villains) have been chosen to claim and civilize an island some distance off the coast of a kingdom.  The island would be populated by a variety of monsters, with only a small human population, and they would need to work together to survive.

I am thinking that characters would start at level 2.  And I would be allowing a variety of character concepts, though I only have a few of D&D 3.5 books.

The characters would be people deemed 'worthy' by one of the kingdom's dukes, and could include a few people who bribed a noble or stole the deed that shows their claim to the island.  The only restriction is that they would have to be able to pass as a civilized race and look 'normal', though at level 2 that might not be as much of a problem.

Characters would need to be able to work together at least on the surface.  I do however see this game as being fairly political, with PvP and backstabbing happening on occasion.  I would prefer that player deaths (at the hands of other players) are kept to a minimum and only happen with good cause. 

The game would be located in the Extreme section, and could include a variety of adult content. 

Anyone interested?  Any comments or criticisms?  I will admit that it has been awhile since I ran a D&D game, so a bit of patience would be required by interested players.

Elven Sex Goddess

I'd like to throw in for this.   

I have idea to play an elven sorceress for the group.   That if allowed is a double agent for the elven court.   Sent to infiltrate the group and find out what this duke is about  and what is up with the island.    Of course if don't want to go with such, then she is merely a sell sword adventurer that managed to get chosen.   

Character creation;  Will this be dice for stats or point buy?

ivygrowth

The double agent bit is fine :-)

Hmm, probably dice for stats.  Personally I like the randomness and occasional sub-eight stat. 

4d6, drop the lowest, roll six times.  Though I think I will also allow each player to add +2 to any one ability score of their choice. 

Elven Sex Goddess

Thanks,  I am getting ready for work right now.  Will have character created tonight or by tomorrow morning.   

minotaurus

I'd love to have a go at this. It sounds like it could make for a very fun campaign.

kckolbe

Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Crovonovin

Definitely interested!  One question:  what will be our starting funds for equipment and the like?

lorcan

Hmm  im definately interested in this Would you allow an Aventi Paladin.

mystictiger

Ooh! This sounds like fun. I there's still space I'd also like to take part.

Have you head of Birthright? It's a political-dynasty-empire-building type setting, updated to d20?
Want a system game? I got system games!

ivygrowth

1000 gp for equipment, no more than 500 gp on any one item however.

The Artificer is fine, assuming I can find my Eberron book :P

What is the Aventi from?

I have not heard of birthright I'm afraid, though it sounds interesting. 

I will probably accept one or two more people, and will try to post the threads for the game later this evening.

mystictiger

In order to keep things simple, I'd like to go for a rogue or perhaps a bard; a dashingly charming, heroic-looking fop with a wry smile and a gift for words. I quite like the idea of having 'won' his invitation to the island in a high-stakes card game (perhaps one in which my character may well have kind of perhaps maybe used marked cards). I'd be aiming for the Rogue With A Heart Of Gold stereotype.
Want a system game? I got system games!

kckolbe

I'm thinking of having been employed at the island, perhaps by the lord directly, or by one of the other PCs.  Whether it be debt repayment or just employment is negotiable.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

lorcan

ivygrowth

The bard/rogue sounds good :-)

--

You wanted your character not to have a deed kckolbe?

--

Ah, I don't have a Storm Rack book, sorry. 

lorcan

I can copy and  paste the write up for you if you like

ivygrowth

I'd prefer to stick to books I own, sorry.

lorcan

kckolbe

No deed is fine.  Figure that'll be a good way to mix it up a little.

Intro Thread

ivygrowth

I'll list them in a bit, need to find them all :P

That's find them kckolbe.

Still working on the intro thread, sorry for the delay.

Phantasmatical

If you've room for another, I'd like to join as well, though I don't have a particularly developed character concept at the moment.

ivygrowth

I can fit one or two more :-)

As for books, the core books obviously.
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook
Eberron Campaign Setting
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (plus Magic of Faerun and the Underdark)
Dragonlance Campaign Setting
Arms and Equipment Guide
Book of Vile Darkness
Libris Mortis
Expanded Psionics Handbook

And a few others, but I can't seem to locate them at the moment (I think I have the good version of the vile darkness book somewhere, hmm)

kckolbe

So I'm thinking of playing him as an engineer, brought in as construction will be vital to the development and growth of a community.  I figure he'd be pretty handy and self sufficient, not skilled in the more shady rogue-like abilities (don't wanna steal our rogue's thunder).  For a basic backstory, think talented construction worker who was lucky enough to get formal training working magical items.  The price of his training is working on the island.  I'd love if someone would like to be a part of his history. 
Current stats
Str 12
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 16
Wis 11
Cha 14

Here's how I'm planning on spending his skill points.  I'm willing to replace tweak them a little bit, especially Craft (Smithing)
Appraise 5
Craft (Smithing) 3
Craft (Construction)5
Knowledge (Arch and Eng) 5
Listen 2 (4 pts)
Profession (Engineer) 5
Search 5
Spellcraft 5
Spot 2 (4 pts)
Use Magic Device 5
Use Rope 2 (4 pts)

Still undecided on feats.

Intro Thread

Crovonovin

Working on something of a risky (read: made of glass and porcelain) character that should serve as an excellent party "Face", assuming it's suitable.

Phantasmatical

Lovely. :) Would you object to me playing a warlock? It's not core, but it's easily available - I think it's in the SRD. If not, I think I might go for druid, or possibly sorcerer depending on what other people choose, the concept in any case that the character would be a sort of pawn for a larger power who wants eyes and ears on this new island.

Crovonovin

Obviously Ivy has the final say here, but it seems to me that we may be somewhat lacking in the Hit-Absorbing department.  Something with a bit more defense and survivability might prove useful, especially since we don't know what monsters the island might be hiding.  Druid would certainly work for that, and the attunement to nature may prove useful for navigating through underbrush and the like or communicating with native flora/fauna.

And that's my two cents!