Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy (Pathfinder)

Started by Inerrant Lust, January 11, 2014, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inerrant Lust

I'm not really going to worry about the crunch until I get my computer back on Thursday.

In universe, magic is about at 1/5th power to those who still have it at all.

Also, it's worth asking- what do you guys want to see? Both in terms of the story, gameplay, potential sexiness, ect.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

ExisD

For expectations, given what it sounds like so far. It's sounds like we'd be movers and shakers who's actions could majorly define the way their city lived. Discovering lost technology, making new areas potentially habitable, and the like. Though that's assuming that we're the good guys, which I think is a fair assumption. On gameplay, I'd hope that everyone would not make characters that would majorly step on each other's toes or drastically overshadow people. Likewise everyone's specialty would probably be useful at some point. On sexiness, I'm mostly ambivalent. I could be as much or as little as needed with whatever themes.

Shadow, there's a missing ) at the end of your links when I clicked through them. Those seem like interesting rules though, I've been using something similar to the first for my in person games recently. Though it doesn't fix the problem fully for anyone who needs more than one weapon and shield fighting, which tend to be weaker options to begin with.

I can't say I agree with the second since I find the plot ruining or heavily open-ended spells to be more problematic than the combat ones and this does nothing to fix those(scry, divination, teleport, fabricate, polymorph, long flying). Most of my group optimize enough that I can expect martials to drop at least one enemy per turn each which would probably be different here.

Edit: Actually, I just thought of something that feels important to ask. How familiar should our characters be with each other?

ShadowFox89

Fixed the links.

I don't know about dropping an enemy a turn, I think the best character I've built for Pathfinder can do maaaybe 50 or so damage per round, at level 14, assuming everything connects.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

EroticFantasyAuthor

This looks very interesting, is there still room?

Inerrant Lust

My policy has never been first come first serve, but even so I think there's still room.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I'll see what I can come up with, thinking possibly a rangery-type character.

How rare are half-elves in the world? With the isolated cities I can see elves and humans not having as much interaction.

Inerrant Lust

Most non-humans are pretty rare. Elves are very rare, but half-elves less so.

It should be noted also that most people are... Strange. Some people have minor quirks, like gallows humor or a fondness for innocuous items. Other people might talk to a person or thing that isn't there... Or obsess on pointless tasks like collecting perfectly shapes branches. Some will be full on crazy, though not very many are homicidally so.

I imagine older people suffer from it more often, and long-lived elves or dwarves are particularly susceptible to losing their minds over time.

EroticFantasyAuthor

Was originally thinking a female half-elf raised by her elven father, being taught how to use nature to fight the demons.

Marie Reynolds

So just want to be sure are Half elfs off the table or just very rare?, Forgive the question i just woke so my brain is not all the when i read that dialogue about half elfs.

Inerrant Lust

Half-elves are allowed.

When I have my computer back on thursday, I'll write up something clarifying some things across the board, as well as establish teh crunch.

Ghostwheel

Will look forward to actually knowing the crunch so I know what's allowed and what's not before putting forward a concept, heh.

Miroque

I would love to join, but if its going to be highlevel, it draws away from the "survival" aspect of PostApoc. I vote lv 1-3(max) giving the fact that world as PCs know it, is unknown (to players) giving the exploration more impact, and demonic creatures would be something to avoid.

EroticFantasyAuthor

I was actually really liking that we would be starting at higher levels, a nice change from most campaigns.

Videospirit

The game would play a lot different if we started low level than if we started high level as well.

Low level we would just be struggling to survive, we wouldn't be making any real effort to improve the world's circumstances.

Miroque

except that when the Xp starts racking, it would have been gianed fame/notoriety, and would make deeper impact.

Inerrant Lust

Well, I mentioned taking a few inspirations from dark souls...

In that game, you can beef up your strength to swing around a great sword one-handed, or use the weapons of your enemies- some of which are about 20 feet tall...

You could consider that high-powered.. Until you see what you are up against.

I am considering adjusting it, maybe to 8 or something... But the story I'm considering (expedition to a lost city in the forest) isn't going to be a walk in the park either.

Some of the perils that make this world dangerous or existentially threatening include ;
Trace amounts of blight in water everywhere, not enough to provoke a Fort save
Blight in the soil, poisoning fruit and crops. The sun is also dim, so that doesn't help.
Varying levels of blight in animals, mutating them and making a lot of their meat poisonous
Breaking blight wood releases some spores, burning it creates a poisonous fog.
So, right there.. Finding food and staying warm.
Then there's undead. People occasionally come back. As ghosts or ghouls or zombies, ect.
Demons roam aimlessly killing and raping and eating.
Devils have settled in old ruins, laying claim to the surrounding areas
Acid rain? :P Probably something like 1 damage a minute. :P
More generally, the gradual loss of fertility and loss of sanity.

So.. Imagine your walking from one town to the other and a Balrog is on the road. :P

Miroque

hmm... quite highlevel then.. I think Im backing out.

Inerrant Lust

Videospirit

So who all do we still have interested in this?

EroticFantasyAuthor

Muse

*raises his hand* 

Me too.  :) 

I thought I had a concept, but I really need to hear the creation rules first.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ExisD

Seconding Muse, I've got a few ideas based on how mechanics turn out.

Miroque

Ghostwheel

Still in, though like the others I'd like to hear the creation rules before finalizing a concept.