Getting back on E with mobile/Apple devices?

Started by Galactic Druid, August 19, 2013, 11:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Getting back on E with my PC was easy enough, just follow the flushdns instructions provided by Veks (if you happen to read this, thanks Veks, for the instructions and all your hard work on this project!)

I really like using E on my iphone whenever I can though, it's far less distracting than the PC is, so I can usually get more done on it in terms of posts. I just don't have any idea how to actually do that on a mobile device, it's still bringing me to the troll page. If anyone knows how to flushdns on a mobily device, or what to do, I'd really appreciate the help.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Ariel

Had the same problem but it's working now! Try again.

Vekseid, you are a hero. I just, no words can describe the respect and admiration I have for you.
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Galactic Druid

No real luck yet, but I'll reset everything and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the tip, Ariel!

Sampais Wrath

I'm not quite able to post on my phone either. It worked for a little bit after resetting my whole phone but then the troll has returned. He doesn't want to leave me alone.
I've got one brain cell bouncing around my head like a 2000s windows screensaver.

Discord always open to new friends! Feel free to pop in there. Warning! My cat has made me accidentally unfriend people there with impromptu head boops. If that happens and I don't realize it PM me here on E and we can restore contact!
Sampai's Wrath#9204

Galactic Druid

Everything seems to be working okay for me now, hope you're having the same luck BlackRock!

Sampais Wrath

So far no luck but I can still use my pc so I'll live. Problems like this will surely pop up and be fixed for a couple of days.
I've got one brain cell bouncing around my head like a 2000s windows screensaver.

Discord always open to new friends! Feel free to pop in there. Warning! My cat has made me accidentally unfriend people there with impromptu head boops. If that happens and I don't realize it PM me here on E and we can restore contact!
Sampai's Wrath#9204

WingedServant

Quote from: BlackRockShooter on August 20, 2013, 01:26:07 AM
So far no luck but I can still use my pc so I'll live. Problems like this will surely pop up and be fixed for a couple of days.

Reset phone, log onto browser. Use this address, instead of typing in Elliquiy. https://208.117.11.90

Then reset your bookmark for Elliquiy from this address. Let me know if it acts up further. Remove old E! bookmarks if necessary.

Sampais Wrath

Quote from: WingedServant on August 20, 2013, 01:57:46 AM
Reset phone, log onto browser. Use this address, instead of typing in Elliquiy. https://208.117.11.90

Then reset your bookmark for Elliquiy from this address. Let me know if it acts up further. Remove old E! bookmarks if necessary.

I did that awhile ago and it worked for a few minutes and stopped again but things seem ok now. *knock on wood*

Sampai's Wrath#9204

Stella

My only access is an iPad. I tried emptying cache/refreshing/rebooting etc and it didn't work. The issue fixed itself a few hours later.

Psi

On any iOS.

Settings > Safari > Clear Cookies & Data
Settings > Safari > Clear History
Settings > Mobile Data > Enable 3G / LTE etc (This bit varies depending upon your version and telco) toggle it off then on.
Double Tap the home button, and then hold down on the safari icon in the running apps bar, until you can click the x to close it.

At a last ditch you can try Settings > General > Reset > Network Settings
However be warned - this last step will forget any wireless networks you know, the passwords for them, and if you use corporate networks which require proxy settings and they are set via a mobileconfig file, it will cause bugs causing you to go back, get the profile removed and then re-added.

Lord Drake

When everything else fails an option might be to change the DNS servers on your IPAD

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/452

I am currently working with google servers and they seem to go, for now.
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Retsu

After doing everything Vek said, I was able to get onto Elliquiy with my PC(Keeping fingers crossed), but my iPod still won't go to it. Even after I did everything here. I even tried putting it into airplane mode since that apparently flushes the DNS cache there, but still no luck.

Ariel

I was having the exact same issues, RP. Troll came back right after I posted first on here -___-

Anyways, somehow, it just worked. Maybe try after every hour or so?

I stayed up till 11 trying to fix this and nothing worked so I went to bed. Then I woke up and tried again, still nothing. Then I clicked the white bar up at the top and now I'm in. Maybe it just takes time?

Or it could be bugs from the server move. Hopefully, Vek is doing his best to fix those (you are amazing, V)
Not accepting new RPs

Apologies | Ons/Offs | Finds | Requests + Rumbelle Craving

Blythe

Posting here for Khoraz:

Kho primarily accesses the site through his phone (he uses an Android), and he has run through the steps here that apply to him, and he cannot seem to access E. He can see the board, but he cannot post. And yup, he did clear his cookies, history, and old bookmarks, etc. Anybody got any advice for this?

Lord Drake

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 11:42:08 AM
Posting here for Khoraz:

Kho primarily accesses the site through his phone (he uses an Android), and he has run through the steps here that apply to him, and he cannot seem to access E. He can see the board, but he cannot post. And yup, he did clear his cookies, history, and old bookmarks, etc. Anybody got any advice for this?

Does this help?

http://www.ehow.com/how_10021288_flush-dns-android-phone.html
— Dream Hampton

Sofina

Can get on by PC, but Ipad still brings me to the troll page even after resetting network settings, did airplane mode off and on but still same.

But after all the hard work there are sure to be a few bugs, at least I can get on by PC, thanks Vek.
We all choose what path we follow..... Come down mine sometime. 

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Blythe

Quote from: Lord Drake on August 20, 2013, 11:47:27 AM
Does this help?

http://www.ehow.com/how_10021288_flush-dns-android-phone.html

I made sure he's got the link; we'll see if it works. ^^

Yup, just saw him post, so it worked! Much thanks, Lord Drake! <3

Sofina

UPDATE

I have just changed the DNS server on my Ipad settings and it now works

Google DNS SERVER 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Very happy
We all choose what path we follow..... Come down mine sometime. 

Sofina’s ONs and OFFs

Suiko

Thank God! ^^

And thank you Blythe for being my mouthpiece and Lord Drake for being my E-saviour ^^
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Did someone say Dragon's Dogma 2? -

Blythe

Quote from: Nicholas on August 20, 2013, 12:01:19 AM
This is the message they receive:

"Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message. "

Saw this elsewhere, and Kho said it applies to his phone, which is sometimes directing him to the troll page. Any way to ensure that doesn't happen? Or is it one of those "wait and see" sorts of things?

He did clear his cookies and phone settings, by the way. He also used Drake's link and cleared his dns cache on his phone.

Madriv

Quote from: Vekseid on August 19, 2013, 10:43:07 PMI set the DNS cache to a rather large number for Elliquiy, because we use a premium DNS provider and they charge a fee per ten million queries - something we could in theory exhaust. Though I changed it to five minutes some hours ago, people are probably still stuck with the old IP address, and others have edited their hosts file to point to the old IP address.

Could this have anything to do with the people on phones timing out, even after they reset?

Lord Drake

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 12:07:48 PM
Saw this elsewhere, and Kho said it applies to his phone, which is sometimes directing him to the troll page. Any way to ensure that doesn't happen? Or is it one of those "wait and see" sorts of things?

He did clear his cookies and phone settings, by the way. He also used Drake's link and cleared his dns cache on his phone.

It does happen mainly if he is in the IP version of the site I think. If this is the case he needs to get in the URL one to have an easier time.
— Dream Hampton

Blythe

Quote from: Lord Drake on August 20, 2013, 12:26:00 PM
It does happen mainly if he is in the IP version of the site I think. If this is the case he needs to get in the URL one to have an easier time.

Oh! He was using the IP, to my knowledge! Lemme let him know. <3

He says the IP is the only way he's able to access E in any manner; the url always takes him to the troll site. He did try the url after clearing everything.

Lord Drake

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 12:34:27 PM
Oh! He was using the IP, to my knowledge! Lemme let him know. <3

He says the IP is the only way he's able to access E in any manner; the url always takes him to the troll site. He did try the url after clearing everything.
I gather he has an Iphone, yes?
— Dream Hampton

Blythe

Quote from: Lord Drake on August 20, 2013, 01:16:33 PM
I gather he has an Iphone, yes?

Not sure. He'll be able to get home and access his laptop soon, so he should be able to check in and provide better/more accurate info about his problem.  :-\

Lord Drake

Quote from: Blythe on August 20, 2013, 01:18:57 PM
Not sure. He'll be able to get home and access his laptop soon, so he should be able to check in and provide better/more accurate info about his problem.  :-\
if he has an iPhone

http://www.macinstruct.com/node/558

a last resource can be to switch his DNS server. I am currently going with the google free ones

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

And they are currently working fine
— Dream Hampton

Blythe

He's got a Samsung galaxy s3.

EDIT: Another user, TheShii, is having mercurial problems with the site via phone. I notice he also has a Samsung.

Suiko

I'm somehow on again after once more clicking the white banner. Hopefully it'll be okay now...
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Lord Drake

Quote from: Khoraz on August 20, 2013, 01:29:31 PM
I'm somehow on again after once more clicking the white banner. Hopefully it'll be okay now...
the white banner is the one that takes you to the URL

Being it a Samsung I take it you have Android?
— Dream Hampton

Suiko

- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Lord Drake

Great!

Mine works, too.

The issue is the DNS cache. If the tinkering with your phone is not enough the only other solution is to change the DNS server setting.
— Dream Hampton

Suiko

I've no idea what made it work <<

Just happy it is!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

The Golden Touch

My Iphone is working on Elliquiy off and on, mostly just letting me browse and not post using the new IP address. While good for me during the day, since I am in class... Should I be away from my computer it makes it harder.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Vekseid

Google's public DNS has our new ip address already (well, had it last night).

Most people that have issues that can't/don't want to use Google's DNS or hostfile fixes should have their issues resolved in the next few hours.

WingedServant

Quote from: Vekseid on August 20, 2013, 06:45:42 PM
Google's public DNS has our new ip address already (well, had it last night).

Most people that have issues that can't/don't want to use Google's DNS or hostfile fixes should have their issues resolved in the next few hours.

The Dark Raven

My phone (Motorola Droid) still is seeing a cave troll.  I will check it again in the morning and update.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

The Golden Touch

My phone is officially working. I will update should the troll return.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

The Dark Raven

Same here.  All seems to be working properly.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.