Laptop Will Not Load Up

Started by Marguerite, January 05, 2011, 11:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marguerite

For some reason, my laptop, a new one that is only a few months old will not load up windows and let me log onto my account. I noticed something was off with my internet when firefox kept freezing on me but I thought it was the internet connection or some faulty script. Now, I restarted and it will not let me on at all. When it says if I want to fix it, it takes forever, goes black and will not log me on or anything. I have tried rebooting to no avail. Can I get some advice?
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Xillen

If it's only a few months old, then you should still have warranty on it. You could check it out. However, if there is important data on the laptop, you might try to secure that, before sending it in.

Something you could try:
Boot in safe mode (repeatedly press F8 as your laptop is booting up, until you get an options menu, which allows you to boot in safe mode).
If you can log in while in safe mode, go to control panel, users, and add a new user.
Reboot the laptop, and see if you can log in as the new user.

If that doesn't work, I wouldn't recommend you to try much on your own. Since it's a laptop and you can carry it around, do you have the option to bring it to a knowledged friend?

Finally, do you have a Windows install DVD with your laptop? If not, the installation program is most likely on a hidden section of your harddrive. You most likely have some option to restore everything to factory settings (check the laptops quick reference sheet if it has one, the manual otherwise), but that would wipe out all the data you put on it.

OldSchoolGamer

Definitely sounds like hardware, since the lockups seem evenly distributed between post-bootup and pre-bootup.  I'm betting either a hard drive failure or memory/CPU.

Marguerite

That is what I think as well, OldSchoolGamer since others have told me the same thing but I have to call it in to get an assessment of whether or not I can send it in for repair.

Xillen

Quote from: OldSchoolGamer on January 06, 2011, 05:12:52 PM
Definitely sounds like hardware, since the lockups seem evenly distributed between post-bootup and pre-bootup.  I'm betting either a hard drive failure or memory/CPU.

That depends on what you consider "bootup". If Marguerite includes Windows in this, then it's not that likely it involves Hardware. I think she does, because she said she got the question if she wanted to fix it. That sounds like she got to the OS at least, making it not so sure it's a hardware issue.

Marguerite

Yesterday, I took it in the morning to a tech who confirmed it might be a hardware problem because when he tried to restore the computer which would erase my files, the hardware shut down and stopped him from cleaning it.