FDA may approve cancer vaccine.

Started by DarklingAlice, April 22, 2010, 11:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarklingAlice

The new issue of Nature is out and it brought with it this interesting piece of news: A shot in the arm for cancer vaccines?

It seems that Provenge is finally nearing FDA approval. This is important for two reasons. 1) While we have many vaccines against oncogenic viruses (such as  human papillomavirus) there are few vaccines against cancer itself. And 2) the FDA has a history of being frustratingly stubborn on approving individualized medicine, citing a flawed interpretation of medical ethics.

Hopefully, this will be the beginning of change on both issues.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Paladin

Well this certainly came too fucking late for me and god knows how many others.  >:( >:(

Trieste

This is good news, provided this vaccine has had a little bit more exploration into its long term effects than Gardasil. >.>

DarklingAlice

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Paradox

Given how much money the medical-industrial complex makes off of cancer treatments every year, I'm genuinely surprised that this was passed; however, I'm glad that it was, and I hope it works out well. The fact that it's called Provenge, which is a pretty awesome name custom-made for each patient instead of being mass-produced like most vaccines makes me think it will turn out a bit differently than the aforementioned Gardasil.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

frecklessobe

I hope it does many well. I don't know how well it will do for the masses, and for those (as myself) who have fought the disease, but hey it's a step in the right direction. I give the FDA a round of applause for trying.
Only when you are no longer afraid, do you begin to live.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=68584.0

Callie Del Noire

They (the FDA) don't like 'custom' built meds like this..hence the delays.

Of course this is a WHOLE new appoarch and might be what is needed for a lot of the problems we still have with disease and such.

The Dark Raven

If it is custom, as they say, doesn't that make this product "treatment" and not a "vaccine"?

...Just saying....  O:)

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

DarklingAlice

To clear up. A vaccine is not just something that prevents you from getting a disease. A vaccine is anything that increases your immune response vs. a specific disease. This is a cancer treatment, not a cancer prophylactic. The method by which it treats is through acting as a vaccine.