Guy tries to enter a museum through an AC duct...

Started by Vekseid, September 18, 2008, 02:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

and gets stuck...

QuoteKNOXVILLE, Tenn. - It wasn't the preferred way to enter the Knoxville Museum of Art, but Richard Anthony Smith told police he was on a mission. The 25-year-old Knoxville man called 911 from his cell phone before dawn Wednesday saying he was trapped in an air conditioning duct leading from the museum roof, Knoxville police spokesman Darrell DeBusk said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Police and firefighters reached the roof, found a rope and cable and followed them to a vent shaft. Peering inside, they spotted Smith about 45 feet down.

"Mission failed," he told them.

Hoisted up and read his rights, Smith told police he was a "special agent from the United States Illuminati, badge number 0931" and had rappelled onto the museum from a helicopter, a police report said.

He said he was following orders to "defuse and confiscate" a Soviet-made nuclear warhead, specifically a "MERV6SS-22AN" warhead, according to the report. The bomb supposedly was hidden in a blue, plastic cow sculpture in the museum basement, he said.

However, Smith told officers his "agency" called while he was in air-vent limbo to say it made a mistake and the bomb might be in a Memphis museum instead.

Police charged Smith with aggravated robbery. He was being held on $2,000 bond at the Knox County Jail. Authorities said he did not have a lawyer.

"Fortunately he was able to reach his cell phone," DeBusk said, "or he may not have been found for quite some time."

His excuse is almost as amusing as the attempt.

Revolverman

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

This should have been in the Comedy Corner. "World's Dumbest Criminals" thread, anyone?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

Heh, Die Hard reference. ;D  I'd be game for a World's Dumbest Criminals thread. :D
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Apple of Eris

Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

The Overlord

Hee hee, worst crook, best excuse...but air vents aren't always nice and roomy like in Tomb Raider or the X-Files.  :-\

Oniya

Try 'rarely as roomy'.  With luck, I might be able to get into an average air-duct, and I'm much flatter than Lara Croft (but so are most girls with her waist measurement ;) ).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on September 19, 2008, 07:45:35 AM
Try 'rarely as roomy'.  With luck, I might be able to get into an average air-duct, and I'm much flatter than Lara Croft (but so are most girls with her waist measurement ;) ).

Well at least Lara made it much more interesting. That all-fours-from-behind position they introduced in the later games when she crawled into tight spots was worth the price of the game CD alone.  :D