GLAIVE: Adventures in the Kenterran Galaxy [Science-Fantasy, Freeform]

Started by MyttraDW, April 21, 2024, 12:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyttraDW

Hello! I just spent a few hours crafting 2k words of a setting, and am feeling rather proud of it! Granted there's prolly a lot more work that could be done, but still. I am hoping to run a game that at least begins more episodic in nature, going from one mission to the next.

The Players will be Blazers (essentially natural super soldiers, explained below) who have all just gained their GLAIVEs (specialized power armor, also explained below) and put together into a squad. They will be sent on missions meant to defend the galaxy from destruction by the Dark Sand, the Foundation (both explained below), and other threats.

Discord is planned to be used for OOC, though if a majority prefers it we can keep it here on E. Also, erotic content is not planned to be part of the main story, though if characters get close enough... well, there are always side threads ;)

I don't have much else to say about it right now. But if you find yourself interested, please drop a post! And if you have questions, feel free to ask!

Species of the Kenterran Galaxy
Human: One of the shorter-lived species within the galaxy, the Humans have still carved a niche for themselves in the greater galaxy. Physically they are unremarkable: of average size, weight, and build. But their ingenuity and drive to create a lasting legacy has propelled them to explore beyond their home system. Indeed, they (alongside the Aer) were the first to attune to the Foundation’s Galactic Connection, the array of ancient space-gates which link the galaxy together. This same drive has made some of the longer-lived species see the Human as impulsive and brash, prone to make decisions before thinking them through completely. Despite this, many attribute the rapid advance of galactic society and technology of the last few thousand years to the Humans. Oddly, humans are able to hybridize with any other of the sentient species; most dual-species couplings result in a child of the mother’s species. This has given the Humans another reputation of being promiscuous, lusting after anything – a reputation not wholly unearned.

Aeteron: A long-lived species borne of magic – tall and graceful, with long pointed ears that some say are antennae for magical essence. Their long lives and slow reproductive cycle have given them a general desire to use the past to create the future. Once they put aside their differences with the Humans, with whom they share a home planet, they were able to use their magical affinity to create the F-Drive, which utilizes a unique energy signature to enable intergalactic travel. Magic plays a large part within Aeteronese society. Almost every Aeteron is born with the ability to weave some amount of universal energy, known as aether, into powerful magical effects. Though not unique to the Aeteron, the other sentient species of the galaxy see a much lower percentage of Weavers in their population. For the rare Aeteron born unable to weave, they tend to find themselves working much harder to meet cultural expectations.

Hirde: A proud, digitigrade bestial species with three subspecies which caused many a cultural rift for most of their history. The Lunhirde carry resemblance to canines, the Solhirde resemble felines, and the Vulphirde bear resemblance to vulpine creatures.  The Lunhirde, as a general rule, believe they find power from lunar energy, where Solhirde likewise believe they gain strength from solar rays. These beliefs are rooted in their reproductive cycles; Lunhirde are most fertile during the days and nights surrounding a full moon, where Solhirde are such during the new moon. In ages past, the chief religions saw these cultures at one another’s throats at almost all times. It was not until a Vulphirde figure named Kreoss was “shown the wisdom and truth of the cosmos” that they were able to begin working together. The scars of the past still run deep, however; many Vulphirde still seek reparation for the slavery of their ancestors by both sides.

Halirde: Hybrids of a Hirde with a human, Halirde to have the ears and tail of their Hirde parent. The Hirde gave their hybrids a name partially as a force of prideful habit, but also to show they are welcome in their society.

Dra’khan: A species whose home planet is a wild land where survival was tough – A jungle of ancient trees and deadly beasts, where a single misstep could cost their life. Their tough, scaly hides and sharp, observant eyes belie a culture steeped heavily in the importance of family, both biological and found. Upon entering adulthood, a Dra’khan will leave their biological family and wander; Once a Dra’khan finds their family, they will defend them to the death, and are often arbitrators in conflict within said family. Many abhor violence, and will attempt to find a peaceful solution whenever possible when dealing with other sentients. They will fight with the same conviction, however, when combat does occur.

Thorus: Born of rock and stone, the Thorus’ home planet is a place of rocky mountains, rich in material but little else. The Thorus are known for making things that last, and this is reflected in their short, stout forms. They are sturdy and strong, as well as heavily stubborn. They are slow to make friends and hold grudges for years, but are some of the staunchest allies once it is earned. This racial sturdiness also ingrains the ability to stay calm under pressure. However, this ability is usually paired with an equally fierce temper. If a Thorus is angered, one would be wise to stay out of their way, as even the weakest of them can crush a stone with their bare fist. Most Thorus abstain from the use of ranged weapons and revel in the destructive capacity of a well-made blunt instrument. Many also have a passable knowledge of explosives, due to the tradition of mining lasting far beyond their home planet. As well, the Throus have the lowest percentage of weavers born per capita, though the reason is yet unknown.

Tairo: An amphibious species known for their graceful movements both under and above the water. Their home planet is mostly ocean, with most settlements built halfway on the islands that dot their home and the water surrounding them. When away from home and water, a Tairo will be sustained by special organs that store excess water. A special moisture vaporator has also been created to allow Tairo to live in a space without directly imbibing or submerging in water. The Tairo are heavily spiritual and follow many daily rituals. They also observe special rituals that occur either on certain days, or at certain times such as burial of a loved one. These rituals are followed no matter if the Tairo is on their home planet, or another, or even in the deepest of space. Some Tairo are believed to be born with the power of foresight. These oracles are held in high esteem, though many end up leaving home as their visions are accompanied by a desire for grand adventure. Love and Partnerships are seen as sacred, and a pair of Tairo will court for years, following a series of rituals before even considering a bonding ceremony.

Aer: A species of wing-armed avians who highly value freedom. Their home planet is an oddity; islands float in open air, levitating by some strange force. This, however, gave the Aer plenty of space to spread their wings. They highly value expression of all kinds, from artistic to intellectual, and chafe under some of the rigid restrictions that the galactic community imposes. They do not tend to act out, however, so long as they are able to express themselves in some manner. Many more female Aer are born than males, which has led to both a harem-centric culture of reproduction, and the reputation that male Aer will happily mate without bonding. The leader of any specific Aer tribe may have a harem of many females, where members of other castes tend to have fewer. Some Aer are simply content with one, and others will seek out lovers of other species. Some may even change their gender, or seek partnerships with their same gender. Nothing is seen as taboo when it comes to love, not for the Aer.

Kiestu: A humanoid species inexorably linked to the seasons of their home planet. Though a nomadic people since the Foundation laid waste to said planet, there are four subclasses of Kisetsu: Aki-Kiestu (Autumn), Fuyu-Kiestu (Winter), Haru-Kiestu (Spring), and Natsu-Kiestu (Summer). Depending upon the season during which they are born, a Kiestu will be born with a hair and eye color which are befitting to their season. Indeed, this changing of their colorations, as well as their nomadic nature, has caused the Kiestu to become much more easy going than some other species. They see the chaos of the universe for what it is, and follow the whims of fate much easier than some others. This is not to say that they are without direction or wills of their own, simply that they see no point in dwelling on, resisting what has already happened. “The past is the past, and the future is what we make it.”

Aspects of the Kenterran Galaxy
Galactic Civility Council (GalCiv/GCC): The council of elected representatives that holds general power over galactic civilization. Most colonies are governed heavily by themselves, though most will also abide by the guidelines set forth by GalCiv. The GCC also has a military branch (GalCivMil/GCM) which has grown considerably in both strength and activity since the coming of the Dark Sand and the awakening of the Foundation.

Aether, Weaving, and Magic: Though it is not fully understood, Aether is the life-force of the universe. It is also the cornerstone of magic. Weavers, which are practitioners of magic, utilize this powerful energy – weaving it into powerful effects of many kinds. The full capabilities of weaving have not yet been realized. Very little is truly known about Aether. What is known is that the more weaving occurs in a given area, the weaker subsequent effects become until the Aether is given time to regenerate.

Ember: An individual born with the ability to utilize a unique talent known as a Spark. As well, they are born with increased speed, stamina, strength, intelligence, reactions, and more. Most of these abilities may seem minor in a given Ember, though all Embers have a specialty that they may grow into, given the chance.

Spark: A Spark seems to be able to be nearly anything – from speaking with animals, beasts, and creatures, to the ability to create fire around their body – that utilizes the ember’s own physiology. A spark cannot directly affect other beings (reading minds or influencing thoughts, for example). What makes it clear that it is a spark and not magic or psychic abilities is the unique energy signature that an ember gives off thanks to their spark. This energy is not well understood despite at least a century of deep research.

Blazers: A Blazer is what an Ember becomes when they are trained and honed into a powerful soldier. The GCM has agents that scour through the galaxy to find the exceptional individuals known as Embers. Once found (usually through story and rumor during their adolescent years), the Ember will be (strongly) offered a place in the Blazers. As a whole, the Blazers are seen as heroes within the wider galaxy. They are not forced to join, though not many decline the honor. Once they are trained and their GLAIVE is functional (usually around their young adulthood), a Blazer will be inducted into a squad which will become their Blazer family for the entirety of their career. Such teams are made up of blazers who will work together, their specialties creating a whole much greater than the sum of their (great) parts. Then they will be sent on missions given by the highest echelons of GalCivMil, most often as quick responses to galactic-level threats.

GLAIVE (Galactic Linked Assault/Infiltration Variable Exo) System: A Unique power armor system made to spec for an individual Blazer. The creation of a GLAIVE is an exacting process, taking plenty of time and resources. The GCM sees this as a worthwhile expenditure due to the exponential increase of a trained blazer’s power within their GLAIVE. Every GLAIVE is made not only to increase the power and efficiency of a Blazer’s spark, but to work with their naturally-increased physical abilities and specialty to create soldiers unlike any other. They are made to be utilized in any situation, from head-on assault to stealthy infiltration. With the GLAIVE is created weaponry suited to the specialty of the Blazer.

(To be continued?)

Existential Threats to the Kenterran Galaxy
The Dark Sand: A corruptive force from outside the known galaxy. Also known as the great devourer, the Dark Sand is a shadow that spreads and creates monsters to attack the colonies of Keterra’s people. Oddly, however, the Dark Sand only seems to target colonies with a significant cult presence, leading some to wonder which came first…

Cult of The Dark Sand: The Cult of the Dark Sand is a strange religious order with no known origin. Every sect of the cult is separate from all others, leading some to believe it is the corruption of the Dark Sand which creates the beginnings of such a cult. Nevertheless, members of the cult believe that the coming of the Dark Sand is inevitable and will lead the galaxy to salvation. The specifics of worship is unique to each sect, but every sect is dangerous as it will lead the dark sand to attack their colony.

The Foundation: The Foundation is named such because their technology has been found on many planets, and is the basis for many modern creations throughout the galaxy. They were thought extinct long ago, though an errant expedition found that they were simply asleep. Now they awaken, utilizing their robotic forms and grand advances in technology to slowly sweep the galaxy clean. Their reasoning is as yet a mystery.

(To be continued?)

Xurtan

Hm. Potentially interesting. I'll watch this. What's the character sheet look like? Debating some ideas. What do the GLAIVEs look like?

MyttraDW

Quote from: Xurtan on April 21, 2024, 04:00:13 AMHm. Potentially interesting. I'll watch this. What's the character sheet look like? Debating some ideas. What do the GLAIVEs look like?
Hey, thanks for the interest! The character sheet is pretty flexible -- I added the freeform tag to the title because I realized I forgot it. It'll have places for information on both the Blazer and the GLAIVE, but you can always add more if you want.

As for the GLAIVE... I'm not entirely sure how to answer that. They're power armor specially tailored to a specific individual. But if you want like a general visual concept, have some images I grabbed off Google that look right to me:
concept images

Does that help? :)

Xurtan

Yeah, fair! I'm used to freeform games having sheets so everyone's is consistent/has the same info, but sounds like we make our own format? What sort of power level do the sparks have? It sounds like they can more or less be anything. I was quasi-debating the idea of a wolf halirde whose spark was based on biting/swallowing/absorbing the blood of his enemies to temporarily boost his strength/speed and such. 

Maybe with this GLAIVE:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

You also mention halirde being given names to show they're welcome in hirde society; what is the naming convention they use, if they're that specific?

MyttraDW

Quote from: Xurtan on April 21, 2024, 11:25:56 AMYeah, fair! I'm used to freeform games having sheets so everyone's is consistent/has the same info, but sounds like we make our own format? What sort of power level do the sparks have? It sounds like they can more or less be anything. I was quasi-debating the idea of a wolf halirde whose spark was based on biting/swallowing/absorbing the blood of his enemies to temporarily boost his strength/speed and such.

Maybe with this GLAIVE:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

You also mention halirde being given names to show they're welcome in hirde society; what is the naming convention they use, if they're that specific?

I more mean that, like, I'll have a sheet with the necessary information and common optional stuff (like history), but if you want to add a bit more you can. Does that make more sense?

The Sparks are something I'm not sure how to quantify. It can't directly affect other beings, but a sort of blood rage type thing it sounds like you're mentioning is likely possible. Maybe it first awakened when he punched a school bully in the nose or something and got blood on his hand. Idk, just as an example. I'm trying to think of gaming terminology... 

What I meant about the Halirde being given a name is the name Halirde itself. Like, generally half-human hybrids aren't really considered separate, or at least not enough to be given a sperate species name. Does that make sense?

Also I should have specified it somewhere, but the setting is somewhat science fantasy. So swords and such are still as common as firearms. 

Brittlby

I’ll flesh it out more once the sheet is up, but I’d be interested in a Tairo firearms expert. 
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 21, 2024, 05:11:57 PMI’ll flesh it out more once the sheet is up, but I’d be interested in a Tairo firearms expert.
For some reason that made me think of, like, a techpriest from 40k for a moment. Doing rites and rituals while tending to the firearm

Brittlby

Quote from: MyttraDW on April 21, 2024, 05:54:00 PMFor some reason that made me think of, like, a techpriest from 40k for a moment. Doing rites and rituals while tending to the firearm

A little of Gun/Prayer and a little of Oracle/Sniper. Given their prolonged courtships, they’re made for long distance military relationships. 
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 21, 2024, 07:16:02 PMA little of Gun/Prayer and a little of Oracle/Sniper. Given their prolonged courtships, they’re made for long distance military relationships.
What do you mean?

Brittlby

Quote from: MyttraDW on April 21, 2024, 07:39:00 PMWhat do you mean?
I mean that she can have a correspondence relationship with a native Tairo while working with the Blazers, given that their courtship process takes so long. I’m still in the rough draft phase. 

O/O

Rashol

Potentially interested in a lunirde. But I'll see what shakes down.

Could also do Thorus
(Or maybe a drak'an.. if I can come up with a feasible reason why one would even volunteer to be a glaive)

MyttraDW

Quote from: Rashol on April 23, 2024, 07:37:19 AMPotentially interested in a lunirde. But I'll see what shakes down.

Could also do Thorus
(Or maybe a drak'an.. if I can come up with a feasible reason why one would even volunteer to be a glaive)
Why wouldn't a Dra'khan accept being a Blazer? Once they get trained up, they'd be old enough to find a found family, which the Blazers give them. That and they're defending everyone as a Blazer

Brittlby

Do you have/prefer a format for character sheets submissions?

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 23, 2024, 08:57:43 AMDo you have/prefer a format for character sheets submissions?
Kinda, but for now I really just need, like...

Name, Species, explanations of their Spark and GLAIVE, and optionally history and such. Also more things you might want

I can give an actual format when I make a sheet thread :)

Brittlby

Not gonna lie. I’m getting high concept here. How much leeway do we have regarding the species we pick?

O/O

Brittlby

Myette Niris

Species:Tairo

Spark: Eye of Infinity - Through unknown mechanics, Tairo’s spark allows her to “see” targets well beyond the capabilities of current optic scope technology and calculate both trajectory of the target as well as the projectile in real time.

Additionally, she is able to visualize the geometry of ricochets in any environment from vacuum to obstructed shots in challenging atmospheric and gravitational conditions.

TLDR; her reflexes and aim are greatly augmented by her abilities as an oracle. She rarely misses regardless of distance, the limitations of her sharpshooting and trick shot skills stemming from her artillery rather than her own abilities.

Glaive: Codenamed “Hornet Queen”, Myette has named it Insk after her Grandmother. Designed with a number of innovations specifically to aid in dampening the effects of kick back/recoil of her massive rifle, from compensating exhaust vents, to powerful mooring spikes in the legs of the suit to allow Myette to anchor herself before firing at full power.

It also possesses a secondary system of three “arms” that plug directly into the base of her skull. Utilizing fiber optic cable implants to relay data from her grey matter, she greatly improves her reflexes past the limitations of her crude organic spinal column.

History: (Pending)

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 23, 2024, 03:33:08 PMNot gonna lie. I’m getting high concept here. How much leeway do we have regarding the species we pick?
What do you mean by those?

Brittlby

Quote from: MyttraDW on April 23, 2024, 03:52:33 PMWhat do you mean by those?

You mention Tairo are extremely religious and have oracles, etc. So how much leeway do I have to explain her place within that religious order/society? 

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 23, 2024, 03:55:03 PMYou mention Tairo are extremely religious and have oracles, etc. So how much leeway do I have to explain her place within that religious order/society?
I'd say a decent amount? I don't have a lot of set lore yet that I gave, so have some fun with it. If you want me to help/give thoughts I would love to work on it with you 

Brittlby

Quote from: MyttraDW on April 23, 2024, 04:07:55 PMI'd say a decent amount? I don't have a lot of set lore yet that I gave, so have some fun with it. If you want me to help/give thoughts I would love to work on it with you

Sure! The pitch I’m currently working on is that the race as a whole has some degree of foresight.

It’s rare for one to be useful as an oracle, as the wave function collapses upon observation, limiting most seeing only to a second or two further through a fourth dimensional perspective. 

But having that sort of a perception could manifest in a number of ways. Some might be able to see great distances, others might have oracle abilities by perceiving the most likely outcomes to event or still others might be super empathic and able to almost get in the head space of other people. 

Tying that into their religion, they’d have a fairly unique series of customs and rituals both to focus their abilities as well as restrict abuse to avoid horrific consequences. 

O/O

MyttraDW

Quote from: Brittlby on April 23, 2024, 04:26:43 PMSure! The pitch I’m currently working on is that the race as a whole has some degree of foresight.

It’s rare for one to be useful as an oracle, as the wave function collapses upon observation, limiting most seeing only to a second or two further through a fourth dimensional perspective.

But having that sort of a perception could manifest in a number of ways. Some might be able to see great distances, others might have oracle abilities by perceiving the most likely outcomes to event or still others might be super empathic and able to almost get in the head space of other people.

Tying that into their religion, they’d have a fairly unique series of customs and rituals both to focus their abilities as well as restrict abuse to avoid horrific consequences.
Well, it's more spiritual than religious, at least as written. As for the actual point... I'm not sure I'm completely understanding it. So, to clarify, are you suggesting that every Tairo has some degree of foresight? I'm wondering if seeing even two seconds into the future would be too much or not.

That said, a thought that just popped up is that another way it could manifest would be kinda like Spider-Sense? So like they sometimes get some sort of premonition/warning? If that makes sense 

MyttraDW

Gonna close the check for now, perhaps bring it up again after I expand it