News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Portuguese Translation

Started by Machete, September 27, 2009, 02:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Machete

I am working on a Brazilian character nicknamed "the Serpent".  Promt, the most reliable translator I have found, translates "serpent" as "serpente".  Among the translations for "the" is "a".  However, the software does not translate "the serpent" collectively.  What is the correct translation for "the serpent"?

Lilias

Given that the noun is feminine, it takes the feminine article. Therefore, 'a serpente'.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Machete

That is actually what I thought it was.

Whenever I tried to translate "little [noun]", Promt gives me "pouco(a) [noun]".  I was expecting the translation to be "[suffixed noun]", similar to names, for example Ronaldinho.  This leads me to believe the suffixes, such as -inho(a), are only used for names.  Is this correct?

Lilias

No, not really... but constructions with suffixes are trickier for such a medium to convey properly. Perhaps checking out WordReference would supplement the translator you use.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Chevalier des Poissons

No.

As a Brazilian, myself, I beg you to ignore any internet tools. They were all created by foreigners that think portuguese and spanish are the same.

Please, PM me with whatever you want to translate to portuguese and I will be glad to help you even with cultural references.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A