News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on April 19, 2011, 10:41:55 AM
I'm still waiting for 3D FPSs. Making you feel like you're part of the environment. Leaves brushing against the screen and that sort of thing. Your weapon being affected by your surroundings, pushed aside by stones and such. Yeah. I'm waiting for that.
It'll get here right after Mr. Fusion and the flying car, sadly.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on April 19, 2011, 11:06:56 AM

Actually, we already have prototype flying cars. :P They turn into planes, basically, with the wings folding up when not in use.

Tonalberry

Anyone else play HOARD?  Fun little game.

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on April 19, 2011, 11:16:57 AM
Actually, we already have prototype flying cars. :P They turn into planes, basically, with the wings folding up when not in use.
The flying car won't happen because we just can't do it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

I remember my scores on Flight Simulator.

I do not want a flying car.  Nobody wants me to have a flying car.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on April 19, 2011, 11:06:56 AM

Come on, it can't be that hard. I mean, unless there's just no demand for 3D in games.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on April 19, 2011, 11:32:55 AM
The flying car won't happen because we just can't do it.

Like I said, for all intents and purposes it is a flying car, and is street legal. :P

Anyway.

Portal 2.

Cave Johnson.

So awesome...

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on April 19, 2011, 12:12:38 PM
Come on, it can't be that hard. I mean, unless there's just no demand for 3D in games.
There's no demand for the hassle of 3D in general. It's one thing when they proffered it in movie theaters as a cheap gimmick. A few extra bucks and you get to wear goofy glasses with some... passable cheap thrills.

Now, in order to enjoy the 3D experience as it stands today you need:

An expensive brand-new 3D T.V. and shockingly pricey expensive goofy glasses, then you have to have most likely a Blu-Ray player or some kind of 3D compatible media. 3D releases are few and far between, because even though releasing a 3D movie is not hard, 3D DVDs are a niche market. It's a vicious downward cycle. You have to have a demand for 3D media at home, but only a few people are willing to spend the money, so you don't have the market base. That means they can't make a profit even with moderate success.

As games stand, it's pretty much the same thing. You have to have the T.V. and a developer willing enough to try a 3D game. Killzone 3 is the most recent one I can think of and a lot of people commented that the game was great to look at once they turned the 3D off.

The 3DS is kind of a special case. It works because you normally hold a hand-held system in certain more-or-less universal ways. Its user is no more than maybe a foot away at any given time. So it probably has the best chance of success out of any of it. It's up to the consumer whether or not they want to pay that price tag. It's self-contained (sans games, of course) and doesn't require a lot of financial hoops to jump through.

Sadly, and I could be wrong, I think it's just cyclical. 3D pops up every twenty years or so, it gets really popular, and then the bubble bursts. This time when the bubble bursts it's taking a lot of cash with it.

Imogen

Still playing Everquest 2. Rediscovered battlegrounds and warfields in the low levels on a pvp server. Killing opponents while having the march of cambreadth blasting in the background. Oh yeah, this does help get the kill count up!
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Wolfy

Still playing Portal 2, and might I say, solving every puzzle without any help. :D

Also...T-T it brought me to tears...

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
After seeing what Wheatley did to the turrets and cubes...T_T Those poor, poor things...

Inkidu

Arkham City has been pushed back to October! D:

I started a Zealot game on Dead Space 2. It's hard without the stupid frustration of not being able to sit there for hours and muscle through it. Seriously, all Hardcore mode does is punish the guy who can't play for more than two hours at a time.

Also, Two Worlds II. I sometimes wonder if this game has a plot... I really do.

Wyrd

October!?? God I can barely wait for that game as it is! By the way, is Two Worlds 2 any fun? I'm looking for a sorta free roam action RPG to fool around with. I've already logged like 400 hours into Oblivion.
Ragtime Dandies!

Inkidu

Quote from: Wyrd on April 19, 2011, 08:01:39 PM
October!?? God I can barely wait for that game as it is! By the way, is Two Worlds 2 any fun? I'm looking for a sorta free roam action RPG to fool around with. I've already logged like 400 hours into Oblivion.
Take Two Worlds II with a grain of salt. At best it's what you would call a B-game. The voice acting is God awful, but tolerable. It's very pretty and I've had a few feet stuck in the terrain issues but no real bugs to speak of. The learning curve in the beginning can be a little erratic. It does the free roaming quite well though, you can't go everywhere immediately, but there are dungeons to explore, loot to find, wildlife to kill. It has various diverse settings. The combat is surprisingly deep. Even as a warrior I find I have to carry around a three weapon/armor configurations to get by for any situation. It's kind of like the bastard child of Diablo and Oblivion.

All and all you can probably get a used copy from GameStop for about forty bucks, maybe thirty now, and that's what I'd pay for it.

Wolfy

Finished the Single Player For Portal 2.

Portal 1: 2 Hours
Portal 2: 8 hours.

:D

...Yeah, I dunno how the hell I beat Portal 1 in 2 hours either. O-o..but apparently I did..and I didn't cheat, either.

Sabby

Its not hard, Portal 1 was a very short game that only lived on by its meme status. Also its almost perfectly designed levels, but thats not really worth mentioning anymore with Valve games ;)

Wolfy

Well, I know the Co-Op is going to be keeping me busy for a while.

Because it's like Left4dead, where there are 4 different Co-Op Campaign levels, each comprised of some number of puzzles.

And of course, there are already rumours that there will be DLC to add on more levels.

But man, that ending...Hooo boy....

dready

Portal 2 and I seriously need to rant about it cause I beat it in 6.5 hours. I even wrote down at certain parts my thoughts and comments.

They'll be hidden in the rather rarely used spoiler bit below.
Well I first found the introduction of being woken up from a sort of suspension chamber, then encountering Wheatly the personality sphere. At first, I thought he was one of those pressured scientific sort who was at their last resort, judging from how he tried to coerce me to speak, then attempt to say apple. My reply was jumping to both requests.

I think there's either brain damage, or Chell is mute. I'm figuring mute since she understands how to stay alive pretty nicely.

The portal gun is removed from it's normal case, and instead is under a lab that is FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR below the original. Luckily, there's a shortcut. It's a very deep pit. The portal gun is actually held in a Rat Man section, with beautiful murals. One of them was even Chell.

So together we try to escape the labs. We accidentally wake up GLaDOS. She crushes Wheatly and tosses him away before dragging me off to the closest testing area. As I continue to complete tests and puzzles, she tries clearing up the areas before I reach them. The entire time we're 'testing' she berates me and calls me a monster. At one point she even says 'I was doing research on how effective sharks that can shoot guns would be, you know, for a suitable way to kill you. Do you know what creature would kill someone who was helping them? Did you say 'sharks?' Well you're wrong, only YOU would kill someone trying to help you.'

That got me pissed, so I kept blazing through the tests in any fashion that is not blatantly obvious. Wait, what was that? *loads last save and looks at what i didn't notice before* ... Was that Wheatly? He's still alive?

So I get to the spot where the projection plates are, and I jump up to see Wheatly! He starts talking but I fall back down. GLaDOS resets the calibration for the pad and launches me up again, where Wheatly seems to have not even noticed that I was gone... bastard was still talking. GLaDOS lowers the ceiling and I can't get to Wheatly again, so I continue testing hoping that he stopped talking long enough to notice that I am definitely not in earshot of him.

A test later, he pops up speaking in a southern accent declaring it as 'a way that glados cannot hear him' to which she replies with 'I can hear you, moron.' Then it's a prison break.

Now, there's a part during the escape where GLaDOS says that Wheatly's plan of escape is pretty much stupid, compared to her option which is 'complete this final test' but I took the option of an idiot who knows how to stay alive instead of pressing a button in a room that i couldn't escape from.

So we ran, switched out good turrets for bad ones, destroyed the neurotoxin container, and then took on GLaDOS. Now, at the container's area, there's a sign that says 'in case of implosion, look into implosion.' so when the container imploded, i stared at it with furious enthusiasm... also hoped that it wouldn't kill me for some reason. Then we fought GLaDOS which was actually not a fight but me becoming a stalemate resolve ambassador or something akin to that title. I pressed a button, and GLaDOS was defeated! Wheatly put me in an elevator and started to say goodbye, until the elevator stopped... and he brought me back down.

... FUCK YOU WHEATLY I JUST WANTED TO LEAVE DAMMIT.

So while I was mentally cursing him out with every derogatory word and phrase I could think of, the new Wheatly dismantled GLaDOS and stuck her into a potato (which earlier in maybe the first twenty minutes of the game the announcer says that all devices can work proficiently on 1.7 volts, which is able to be supplied via a potato battery) and then tried killing GLaDOS by crushing her into the elevator... with me still inside.

We both fall down a bottomless pit for a while, and GLaDOS requests a few things here and there.

We land. A bird picks up the GLaDOS potato and I just try to find a way out of there.

I come across the old testing areas, as well as the GLaDOS potato.

I found it endlessly amusing to mess with the orange, blue, and white paints to solve puzzles, except for one that was incredibly simple if it wasn't for the fact that the white paint was there... ironically.

Then we continue on through the tests, hearing Cave Johnson's recorded messages all the way. However, when he asks for a stack of documents from a Caroline, GLaDOS says 'Yes Mister Johnson' and then freaks the hell out because she has no idea why she said that. It later turns out to be that Caroline is IN FACT GLaDOS's original personality. Seriously.

Also, if life gives you lemons, SCREW THE LEMONS AND TAKE LIFE BY THE THROAT AND STRANGLE IT INTO SUBMISSION. Then burn down someone's house... that's some advice from Cave Johnson right there. Also ground up moon rocks are pure poison. Keep that in mind.

So we drop across some of Wheatly's experiments... which are turret boxes, or box turrets... they're boxes with legs. They're cute as hell... boxes... with legs. Though up close they freak me out.

I helped the little 'buggers' out by putting one on the button. Wheatly shows up on a tv screen and has us do more testing.

As we test, I learn why GLaDOS was so adamant on the testing, because there's a sort of itch when no testing goes on. When you try to help the test subject, you get an electric shock.

As Wheatly makes more testing grounds, he wrecks up the place and there's even a spot where he's talking about finding an exit in a room... and I see P-Body in the distance, looking back and forth before booking it out of the area.

Well Wheatly quickly turns into a british male version of GLaDOS and then he kills us... or at least tries to. I'm willing to bet that he didn't count on there being a white paint drip in viewing distance, let alone me being fast enough to drop portals. So I try escaping. Oh, and GLaDOS is impaled on the portal gun. Did I mention that? Oh, okay. Well that's what happened.

We try meeting up with Wheatly to dismantle him, or at least get GLaDOS back into position. There's a part where Wheatly talks about great artists or minds versus each other. 'Aristotle vs SMASHY SPIKE PLATE!' is heard while he crushes a catwalk that I was supposed to walk on. Unfortunately, one of the legged boxes was there instead... though he is still alive. What a trooper.

So I continued on, and came up to Wheatly after GLaDOS points out some corrupted core pile on the way. So the plan is to stun Wheatly, and attach cores onto him... so he couldn't do anything effectively. I liked the plan, sort of like... a reverse of how you kill GLaDOS before.

Bathroom break.

Sammich break.

Water bottle refill break.

Checking time. Huh... nearly 6:30 in the morning.

Continue game.

So we meet up with wheatly and he lists off the things that GLaDOS did wrong when she tried killing me. First, no turrets. Second, he actually adjusts the shielding panels to block attacks. Third, the neurotoxin is started right away. RIGHT AWAY DAMMIT. Oh, and the labs have around six minutes to explode.

Portal placement, some bomb tossing on his part, and then bouncing off of blue paint to dunk personality cores into ports street ball style, and wheatly requires to be changed. So a stalemate occurs, and I have to press the button (again). Well the bastard put a fence up in the way, but then again I noticed that there's a plate above the button that could hold a portal. I shoot, I jump into a different portal from earlier, and drop down, smack the X button as fast as i  can, and HOLYFUCKINGSHIT THAT JACKASS BOOBYTRAPPED THE BUTTON! Then he gloats about boobytrapping the button. Bastard, I'll show him.

I pick up the portal gun and with my last ounce of strength I shoot a portal to the moon...

nothing happens.

wait, there was a blue glint in the distance.

The area suddenly tries to evacuate through the orange portal below Wheatly and pulls his sphere and connection out the blue portal. I fly through and grab ahold of his handles because i couldn't grab onto anything else in the first place...

Then GLaDOS saves the day! She smacks Wheatly away and pulls me back in.

I wake up, and there's a couple of robots there. :? (Atlas and P-Body)

Then... I get the moral of the story from GLaDOS' point of view.
Then GLaDOS deletes Caroline from her mind, and starts to lift me up on the elevator.

Then on the way out... I get this: http://forum.ianti-virus.com/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=17700

Then when I step out of the shack, and take in the beautiful view of being on the surface for the second time in my life... I hear a door slam, and turn back to see that it's closed. It suddenly opens again and spits out an incredibly burned companion cube...

then the credits roll.

You have no idea how many tears of joy were shed in that last five minutes.

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on April 19, 2011, 11:26:21 PM
But man, that ending...Hooo boy....

Out of any game to make me feel fear, excitement, and then cry when it was over... I never expected Portal 2 to do that.

Wolfy

So, considering the ending, I'm guessing that The Co-Op Campaign doesn't take place before Chell came along, but rather after the end of portal 2.

Which is fine by me....Ooh..and Dready..*poke* is your copy on PC? Cause I need a Co-Op partner. xD

Inkidu

Portal is hardly on my radar, if it weren't for "Still Alive" I doubt I would have played it. I didn't time myself but I breezed through it. It had great humor, but I felt it never took off the training wheels. I doubt I'll getprtal 2.

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on April 19, 2011, 11:57:29 PM
Which is fine by me....Ooh..and Dready..*poke* is your copy on PC? Cause I need a Co-Op partner. xD
No, I got the 360 version but you know what? You can cross-platform with PS3 players and PC's. :3

Also Inkidu, it's definitely worth a buy. The story for Portal 2 explains everything, and it's ending credit songs are much better than Still Alive. That, and I have not experienced a single glitch or bug, except the second time i played through where the paint didn't wash away like a gradient how it was supposed to the first time, but that minor glitch doesn't change anything or make it harder to play.

Geeklet

The ending alone of Portal 2 was worth it.

I mean, when I shot the portal onto the moon, I was just kinda firing blindly. I didn't expect it to actually stick. Then things started getting sucked into the portal below Wheatley, and I'm like "FUCK YES THAT WAS AWESOME!"

Also, sometimes its the little things that get me excited about a game.

like how the Aperture Science logo kept changing on the loading screens. First the 'current' logo, then some of the older ones as you went to the older test chambers, and finally, changing from Aperture to Wheatley

dready

Another thing:

Each chapter you completed, your title screen changes.

When you are on the production line, the title screen is the production line in action.

And when you beat the game, it's Wheatly floating in space.

Wolfy

Hey, Hey Dready...look at my personal text. *giggle* Ahh..Inside jokes.

dready

Quote from: Wolfy on April 20, 2011, 01:20:45 AM
Hey, Hey Dready...look at my personal text. *giggle* Ahh..Inside jokes.
Hee~

I'm changing mine as well.