Question about file hosting?

Started by Esoterica, February 04, 2024, 02:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esoterica

I am going to be working with a large group of files. I know about Google Drive and One Drive but I have actually come to the point before where my account is full and I dont get any more mail. What is a good solution as I work as a writer with a lot of word documents and I am getting into Digital art and Photoshop. I don't want multiple accounts.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

MightyMaiden

The big players are:

Google Drive
One Drive
Dropbox
Sync
Frame.io
Amazon photos (free with prime, but only for photo/video)
(and whatever Apple calls theirs these days)

A lot actually depends if you use Android or Apple as your phone will fill up it's respective provider's storage quickly and not leave much room for other files, especially if you take a lot of images with your device.

All have paid options for greater storage volume, but it's MUCH cheaper to buy local storage if you don't need things to be online. Hard drives are dirt cheap these days. (just make sure you back up, multiple copies are your friend.

Even 'huge' Word documents are tiny, and really if you're using MS office one drive is probably best for those.

Photoshop and digital art files can grow rapidly and it's easy to outpace any storage if you're not managing it carefully. 
I have multi-layer Photoshop files that are many gigs in size, and I have ~20 gig of AI-generated images just from playing around as well as Terabytes of photography.

If you get into video don't even bother considering online solutions for storage, you'll go bankrupt.

In short (HA!), there is no one easy solution, you're likely going to use different services for different things, and that's not even getting into solutions like building your own cloud at home, because that is fraught with peril as if you make mistakes with it, you can unfortunately leave your home network vulnerable.

Happy to chat more in PMs if you wanted more specific advise for specific scenarios.