The Mist (Horror/survival)(Small group)(Interest check)

Started by Revna, March 22, 2018, 01:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revna

First and foremost, I'm not a great GM. I used to be on other sites, but I won't keep pushing if people stop posting. Second, this is a relaxed rp. Once a week would be awesome as that is probably what I can do, as I am a college student and just getting back into rping again after about a 3ish month sick leave because I had the flu, cold, and cold-strep. If you are looking for everyone to post a million times a day, this may not be for you. Onto plot and character stuff's!

It is based on the TV show "The Mist".

I LOVED this show, so when they canceled season two; Here is a basic preview of season one for those who have not watched it: PREVIEW.

This will focus on the end of season one and onto season two. Season two was supposed to be about finding out what the government knew about the mist, having to deal with convicts on top of the mist, and perhaps running in and dealing with Nathalie Raven fanatic religious group. We could even run into the main group if that is something people are interested in. However, I want our group to have survived the first part of the Mist by either hiding out in a gas station market, or the small towns general store which will be a very small version of Fred Meyers or Walmart. Something that has a big of everything to help our little group.

Again, this will focus on the government, the convicts, and probably Raven's fanatic group. So please keep this in mind.

For fighting; if you decide to grab some type of weapon, it is not to fight the mist. The creature can not be harmed with regular weapons. I will give it a weakness to light and fire so we have something, but the weapons will be for the other people who have lost their minds to the mist, Raven's group, or possibly soldiers.

For characters, I want the group small. I've done big groups, and honestly I cannot be even a decent gm once there is more than eight characters. So, for this game, I'm thinking four to six. This will also depend on how many people I can actually get interested in this plot idea. For now I will keep this an interest check and see if anyone actually is interested.

Remiel

While I do like the idea of a small group game based around survivors banding together against something strange and terrifying, this particular setting seems like it would be a difficult one to do.  What did you have in mind for the nature of the mist?

Also, it makes me sad that there won't be a second season.  I did watch the series, and it seemed like the show's creators took it in a much different direction than the original short story by Stephen King.  It seemed like the Mist had a much more personal / supernatural bent, where King went for impersonal / extradimensional.

Revna

Quote from: Remiel on March 23, 2018, 11:06:59 AM
While I do like the idea of a small group game based around survivors banding together against something strange and terrifying, this particular setting seems like it would be a difficult one to do.  What did you have in mind for the nature of the mist?

Also, it makes me sad that there won't be a second season.  I did watch the series, and it seemed like the show's creators took it in a much different direction than the original short story by Stephen King.  It seemed like the Mist had a much more personal / supernatural bent, where King went for impersonal / extradimensional.
Now that I have a moment to answer, the mist still gives people their worst nightmares, it still drives them crazy, and in the end the creature is still in the mist. I don't want to focus on the creature too much. Maybe watch the creature devour a prisoner or something. Maybe they see it try to get into the shop a few times, but unless someone drops, I don't plan on having the actual monster/creature show up. Though, the mist will still show you your worst nightmare if you breath it in too long, and you can still be driven mad and killed by your nightmares.

Yeah, I was down right heart broken when they said it was canceled after season 1 because they ended in on such a cliff hanger! I also just loved how similar yet different they made the show verses his novella.

Cosmo_ac

I'll be honest, I had mixed views about the show.  I loved the novella and the movie, and I admit, I was expecting it to be a little more like the movie.  What I got was what seemed to be a mashup of the movie meets "Silent Hill".  Not a bad thing, but it just didn't grab me by the balls like either of those did (which is a shame as I love Silent Hill as well).  I think I mainly had problems with the characters.  I couldn't stand the mom, the old lady and the Sheriff with her went from reasonable to "lets-burn-these-people-alive-in-the-church-for-no-reason" in the blink of an eye, the gay/goth/sociopath daughters best friend was an interesting plot twist but was also riddled with plot holes, and I could go on for a while.  It was an interesting experiment, but I was ultimately disappointed with what we got in the end.  Maybe if they had a season 2 they could have done something with it, but alas.

That being said, sign me up as interested if this game get's momentum.  Perhaps your story can give a satisfactory ending where the original series failed.

Revna

Quote from: Cosmo_ac on March 27, 2018, 06:10:24 AM
I'll be honest, I had mixed views about the show.  I loved the novella and the movie, and I admit, I was expecting it to be a little more like the movie.  What I got was what seemed to be a mashup of the movie meets "Silent Hill".  Not a bad thing, but it just didn't grab me by the balls like either of those did (which is a shame as I love Silent Hill as well).  I think I mainly had problems with the characters.  I couldn't stand the mom, the old lady and the Sheriff with her went from reasonable to "lets-burn-these-people-alive-in-the-church-for-no-reason" in the blink of an eye, the gay/goth/sociopath daughters best friend was an interesting plot twist but was also riddled with plot holes, and I could go on for a while.  It was an interesting experiment, but I was ultimately disappointed with what we got in the end.  Maybe if they had a season 2 they could have done something with it, but alas.

That being said, sign me up as interested if this game get's momentum.  Perhaps your story can give a satisfactory ending where the original series failed.
I agree with Raven and the Sheriff, the two were bat shit and made little sense as actual people. The friend was a nice twist, but I figured it out half way through. I loved the way the midst was and the creature inside it. I was really interested with what they were going to do with it and the military base for season 2

abandoneddolly

So I haven't finished the show yet, but I'm really sad that there's not going to be a season 2. I would be interested in this game

Revna

Awesome, that makes four players. I will keep it open since I said max is six, but sheets will be up in a moment ^.^

Revna

[float=right][img height=300]refer real image[/img][/float]
Name:

Personality:
+
+
+

+/-
+/-

-
-
-

History:

Revna

WIP; already almost lost this.

Name: Valerie Deering
Gender/sexuality: Female/Bi curious

Personality:
+ Willing to help just about anyone
+ Humorous and loves to joke around, especially if someone is down
+ Loyal to people who show her their loyalty

+/- Prankster
+/- Flirtatious

- Clumsy
- Perverted
- Once actually angered, she goes off like a fire cracker in a dry forest in the middle of the summer

History:

Revna

I will be closing this since no one has been posting or talking. Best of luck to all