The Long Road: a travel roleplay

Started by Chloris, May 06, 2013, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chloris

So, I've had this general theme or idea that's been on my mind for quite some time now, and I'm thinking this might be as good a place as any to expose the idea, discuss the possibilities, and eventually have some good fun together!

What is this about?
The general idea is to have a roleplay, lasting a bit, centering around a traveling merchant caravan, as it rides on a long road, from pleasant climates, through harsh deserts, rugged mountains, and to exotic lands, over the course or months or even years, along a trail not unlike the Silk Road. The play would center over a group of people that joined the caravan somewhat recently, fitting diverse roles. Their aspirations, their goals, and the discoveries they'll make on that journey. When I say a group of people, I don't mean all PCs have to join on the same time, for the same reason, by the way.

The tone this all inspires me is something somewhat quiet and contemplative, with a fair amount of mystery. Low-magic is more or less mandatory, to avoid rendering the caravan's very existence useless due to teleportation. And it shouldn't be too dense in combats too. But besides that, there can be a fair amount of variations, which I'd like to decide along with you all, interested folks.

Variations, you say?
Variations I say. The theme I desire can be considered through many diverse lenses, and we might as well leave to each other a bit of choice, as partners on this imaginative journey. The variations include:

• The setting: It can be an original setting. It can be something largely inspired by the real world, especially as far as geography goes. You could even tempt me into playing in a predefined setting that'd fit nicely!
  • The fantastic elements: There will always be a part of mystery, if only because of an eerie seer, or strange animal behaviors. However, things can go further than that. Are we considering humans as the only sentient species, or shall we add more fantastic races? What about divinities? Monsters?
  • The system: I am not all that fond of freeform to be honest. And while there is a game system that is more or less perfect for that kind of roleplay named Ryuutama, it happens to be in japanese, and the translation project is late by many months, with no end in sight. So, if there's a universal demand for freeform, I'll comply of course, and if not, we could go with something like Pathfinder, Gurps (though I'm not all that familiar with that one) Warhammer or... Basically anything that could fit the potential setting, even loosely. Since I'm quite comfortable with modifying systems to fit campaigns.

Now, I do realize it's not entirely comforting to see a newcomer such as my humble self proposing a GMing role, as you don't know how reliable I am, and it is a perfectly legitimate concern. However, for the confident, trusting, or foolhardy ones, I promise you the wonders of the Orient, a new life, and the caravan itself, this large, extended, albeit sometimes shady family.

If you're interested, please feel free to manifest yourself here, and to state your opinion on the three big variations, along with what this concept could inspire you, character-wise. No actual form yet, though.
The Long Road: a Traveling adventure.
A Human / NC freeform roleplay following the path of a caravan.
Packing up for departure!

iambrowncoat

sounds intresting I'm  in ill give my character later i am super busy right now

Chloris

There's no rush, especially for the time being. Don't forget to opiniate on the three big questions if you do have an opinion about them too. And I sure hope you do~

berrylicious

Hi ^.^ i would like to join. I am really bad at role playing though, i haven't done it in a while but i would like to and this sounds like fun. ^.^

Chloris

Excellent. The interest spreads!

Now berrylicious, by all means, try your best, try to improve if relevant. If you do that, you won't be -bad- at role playing by any means. You'll simply be "learning" and that's certainly got a better ring to it, don't you think?

Also, by all means do opiniate on the three points in the opening post if you feel even a slight lean towards one of the possibilities offered to you. The sooner I get a general trend, the sooner I can dig in, and make it happen.

Coyote

Hello, I would also like to express my interest. This seems like a very interesting concept, a much more contemplative game.

Hmm for the setting, I would prefer something original, I personally feel the need to do VAST amounts of research when real setting are involved i'm not sure if I want to go there on this one. I like the idea of something like the Silk Road which you mentioned, going through different cultures.

Hmm I like I idea of a low magic world, but I think the inclusions of different types of creatures sentient or otherwise would be interesting, although things like divinites sound like they could best be left more mysterious.

My preference is for freeform, but I could go with a system, I know Pathfinder pretty well.

As for character, hmm I'm thinking a doctor, someone who did some wrong in his life and is trying to atone by healing people.
"Power resides where men believe it resides. No more and no less. A shadow on the wall. Yet shadows can kill. And ofttimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow"

-Lord Varys, The Spider

Chloris

Thank you for expressing your preferences Coyote, they are duly noted.

I get a feeling you'll fit right in the feel I can imagine for that game, with your doctor character, so that's a plus too!

I will still wait for a few more days for additional opinions before opening character applications properly though. Not that I don't value your opinion, but I enjoy a diverse pool.

Chloris

And, after private messaging here and there, it seems the current number of interested people amounts to two, which appears still a bit limited to my tastes. I'd have enjoyed at least three or four competent writers to get things a bit varied. So, it seems we are at a crossroad.

We could simply let the idea wait, just in case it garners more attention.
We could also transport the idea, either to adult sections, or to non-forum sections -in which case I will favor IRC-
And of course there is always the possibility of a big red button push.

So I leave this message here, partly to know if you have opinions about that too, and partly to let you know that I'm still here~

Zelric Miras

I-m interested if you are still looking.

Chloris

I thank you for your interest Leorobin, however, I fear the recruitment probably won't go quite as expected here, and that ultimately it won't happen at all. At least not in this shape.

However, if you're interested in the overall idea, but won't mind things a bit more set on freeform, and including a few more adult elements, I opted to launch a topic in here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=174788 . The recruitment there has just begun so depending on your tastes it may fit your desires in more ways than one! ;)

Batman4560

If I were a member I would join...well let me offer my opinions anyways if you want them great and if not well....please don't continue.

As far as setting I recommend the dragonlance setting for dungeons and dragons.
The system would most likely work well if you had each player kind of use the 3.5 setting with a mix of free form. Such as in non combat situations everyone is in free form but in combat they can do what their character could do in six seconds, or a round.