The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannik

Quote from: Eden on November 13, 2011, 06:07:50 PM
Is there a way to tame a caged wolf? *pokes at it*

Yeah sure...just open up the cage and give it a big hug...It'll just love you to pieces.

Shjade

Quote from: mannik on November 13, 2011, 04:41:42 PM
The demon looking heads on the map are dragon roosts...go there, fight a dragon and learn a new shout.

...hunh. Apparently if you go to those roosts early (I've been to two of them) you can learn the words, but there's no dragon to fight (so you can't use the words, since no souls). I assume (I hope) the dragons will be there if I go back later when they're supposed to be there. It was one of those roosts where I ran into Krosis.

In other news, during my lunch break I made the trip from Whitehelm to the mage college in the north and got enrolled. Yay. Also, I ran into a few snow cats. Two I had to super-run-away from. One I watched fight two Companions: Ria and Valkis.

...the cat kicked both their asses without taking any damage at all. >.>

...so then I killed it, since there was nowhere to run. =D

...and caused Ria and Valkis to attack me because Ria kept standing on my explosives by the cat. :| I hope they're not mad at me later (since I can't kill them).
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

meikle

Quote...hunh. Apparently if you go to those roosts early (I've been to two of them) you can learn the words, but there's no dragon to fight (so you can't use the words, since no souls). I assume (I hope) the dragons will be there if I go back later when they're supposed to be there. It was one of those roosts where I ran into Krosis.

You'll encounter lots of dragons that aren't hanging around roosts, like random encounters while you're running from place to place.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

Quote from: meikle on November 13, 2011, 06:52:49 PM
You'll encounter lots of dragons that aren't hanging around roosts, like random encounters while you're running from place to place.

Presumably after reaching a certain point in the dragon quest, since I've successfully traversed the northeast quadrant of the continent through snowy reaches and greener lowlands, been through four giant camps, numerous barrows and bandit camps and two dragon roosts and not seen a single dragon the entire time. It seems they need an "on" switch to be flipped before they start showing up.

This is fine by me, since I'd like to go through mage college before I start taking on dragons without any offensive equipment other than magic to do the job. I don't think I'm powerful enough at the moment - I can kill giants and badass fireball-tossing bosses, but only by kiting and lots of peekaboo LoS dodging. I don't think I'd be able to pull that off against an overhead-flying fire-breathing massive damage target.
◕/◕'s

meikle

Quote from: Shjade on November 13, 2011, 07:05:14 PM
Presumably after reaching a certain point in the dragon quest, since I've successfully traversed the northeast quadrant of the continent through snowy reaches and greener lowlands, been through four giant camps, numerous barrows and bandit camps and two dragon roosts and not seen a single dragon the entire time. It seems they need an "on" switch to be flipped before they start showing up.

Yeah, that should be doing the first dragon of the main quest.

That's as far as I've gone in the main quest, and I've got a lot more dragon souls than I do shouts to spend them on.  I've also encountered a lot of dragons who just flew overhead and never got close enough to fight.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Shjade

I've encountered a lot of bandits.

They are on fire now.
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

Leave the giants alone! Giants aren't even that aggressive!

Nadir

I just encountered a Wispmother, those things are almost as hard as the giants. I dragged an troll to it, and they had a epic battle, but she won rather fast. Now I'm on my horse, being pushed around by her tendrils...

mannik

Quote from: Hemingway on November 13, 2011, 07:39:12 PM
Leave the giants alone! Giants aren't even that aggressive!

Bull crap they aren't...I stumbled upon a giant sitting next to a fire and remembered reading something along the lines of they are just big people, so you can even talk to them. So I figured might as well go say hi, and got out of sneak mode...then got stomped on by an angry giant I did nothing to piss off.

Quote from: Eden on November 14, 2011, 03:55:41 AM
I just encountered a Wispmother, those things are almost as hard as the giants. I dragged an troll to it, and they had a epic battle, but she won rather fast. Now I'm on my horse, being pushed around by her tendrils...

Hey, I fought one of those! I was wandering around the northern area near windhelm I think and saw some weird lights moving around. Went to investigate. They didn't seem to do much so I followed them. They then started dancing in a small circle as a wispmother appeared....epic battle ensues. I walk away victorious, but damned near dead....I love my fire shout.

Jacqueline

I just killed my first ice wraith, they're annoyingly hard to see! I had to set everything on fire until the heath bar started to go down.

mannik

I'm starting to really love the crafting in this game. Just made myself a spiffy new Elven bow, that when upgraded does 41 damage...then I slapped a 15 damage fire enchantment on that puppy (and enemies on fire take more damage ^.^). My soul stealing dagger is up to 22 damage now, that's about as good as a mace or sword....and then I get the 30x sneak attack multiplier on top of that.

And every time I need a new soul for enchanting, I just follow a guard around until he's all by himself, then slit his throat...I love being a sneaky little bastard. Sneak skill is up to 90 now.

SinXAzgard21

I have a nord werewolf and a wood elf that belongs to the dark brother hood both with over 20 hours of play already... I've only done the first dragon on the Nord and must say it was effing cool.  I'm going to make a High Elf for a magic and a Kajit full on thief for no other reason than to rob everyone blind.  My Nord is sitting on Dwermer armor while the elf is in the brotherhood gear which is really bad ass.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

mannik

Oooh...for those of you interested, I just found a glass sword outside of Whiterun...wasn't part of loot from a chest or anything like that either, it was being held by a skeletal hand sticking out of a stagnant pond, so I'm pretty sure it's always there. Good weapon for a new character.

West of Whiterun and just north east of Bleakwind basin. You can actually see the pond on your map.

Shjade

Quote from: mannik on November 14, 2011, 09:24:38 AM
I'm starting to really love the crafting in this game. Just made myself a spiffy new Elven bow, that when upgraded does 41 damage...then I slapped a 15 damage fire enchantment on that puppy (and enemies on fire take more damage ^.^). My soul stealing dagger is up to 22 damage now, that's about as good as a mace or sword....and then I get the 30x sneak attack multiplier on top of that.

This makes me wish melee combat didn't feel crappy in this game. It's too inconsistent. Half the time I click and no attack happens, so I have to click a little longer to make sure I attack, but then it power attacks half the time and drains all my stamina. JUST SWING THE FUCKING SWORD ALREADY. >.<

Is there some trick to the combat system I'm just not getting or is it just bitchy like that? Or it might be lag on my machine's part for all I know. Bleh. Hate it. Makes playing a fighter-type character seem very not-fun to me, which kinda limits options for offense. :|

Two sidenotes: regarding giants, they're not hostile unless you bother them or their mammoths. You can get within, oh, 20 feet or so before they start making >:| faces at you, and that's your cue to back off or stomping will happen. If you sneak into their camp and pop out of nowhere to say hi, yeah, they will club your fase.

Regarding ice wraiths, two words: Flame Cloak. If you have enough magicka to cast flame cloak (preferably double-casting it if you're a Destruction type person), it seriously tears shit up if it's anywhere near you. Makes killing small/fast/hard-to-see targets much easier if you're doing constant damage just by being within ~15 feet of them.

◕/◕'s

Braioch

I have two characters I'm working with...

My Altmer who's specializing in Light Armor, One Handed Weapons and Destruction. (he likes killing things with fire >.>) Then I have my Khajit who's specializing in One Handed Weapons, Light Armor, Sneak and Archery, he's also a murderous asshole.

So far I've been knocked over a mile or two in the air by a Giant because I seen a mammoth and thought smacking it would be a good idea....(it wasn't)

Waged epic battle with a dragon in a forest area, epic only because neither of us could hit the other because of the trees....

Somehow managed to run into the middle of a camp full of several bandits who were bound and determined to take down my wizard who wasn't wearing armor at the time...that was actually pretty epic. There was a lot of burning on that one, much much burning >:)

Accidentally killed a horse I stole by running off a cliff...poor Clip Clop

Oh! I fell off of High Hrothgar, that was pretty funny. It's what I get for not looking where I'm fleeing in terror from large mountain cats.

Wispmothers, Wraiths and the ghost dude you fight in the College storyline are all evil and I hates them....
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Jacqueline

I killed my first wispmother, it wasn't too bad. I hated the boss mob on the Labyrinthian, I had to play hide and seek all the time!

I also killed my third and fourth dragon without problem, one at the College and another somewhere in the woods. I also killed a Bone dragon, it was cool.

I saw another dragon but he didn't want to play with me and flew away, so mean!

I repeated a little trick and now my speech is at 100, not sure if it will be worth it but I like it!

Sain

Vampires are pretty fun to play. Sure it's a chore trying to get blood before you reach stage 4 and that fire weakness is a huge disadvantage but the 25% sneak with maxed sneak skill makes you pretty much invisible. Fun sneaking right under people's noses.

Also should've taken conjuration for archery since it's the only way to get arrows keep up with bow damage but alas that might be too late now.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Elenwe on November 14, 2011, 03:05:27 PM

I repeated a little trick and now my speech is at 100, not sure if it will be worth it but I like it!

SHARE!

I am getting a bit disgruntled at the fact my destruction goes up soooo slow.. but the illusion school is easy. Just cast muffle repeatedly ever 20 to 30 seconds.. slowly you'll start getting skill ups at longer intervals. (at first.. I was getting it with every cast and now I'm up to like every sixth cast but I'm at like only 50).

right now I'm trying to avoid playing so I can get NaNoWriMo done.

Tsenta

There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Jacqueline

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 14, 2011, 03:38:00 PM
SHARE!

I am getting a bit disgruntled at the fact my destruction goes up soooo slow.. but the illusion school is easy. Just cast muffle repeatedly ever 20 to 30 seconds.. slowly you'll start getting skill ups at longer intervals. (at first.. I was getting it with every cast and now I'm up to like every sixth cast but I'm at like only 50).

right now I'm trying to avoid playing so I can get NaNoWriMo done.

There you go! It's a glitch but I love being the bitch queen of Skyrim! http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-easy-100-speech-skill-glitch/

I'm at 40-something in destruction too so I guess that it's normal.

Hemingway

As I sit here, I can't help but feel I should start over ... 20 hours into the game.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on November 14, 2011, 05:29:10 PM
As I sit here, I can't help but feel I should start over ... 20 hours into the game.

It's Bethesda.. you can ALWAYS find a 'better' way to do things in their games. :D

Braioch

That exact reasoning is why I have my Khajit and I'm still considering changing my magic user....
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Hemingway

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 14, 2011, 05:45:12 PM
It's Bethesda.. you can ALWAYS find a 'better' way to do things in their games. :D

Yeah, true that. But I'm also weird. I swear, borderline OCD when it comes to certain things.

Remiel

So the consensus here seems to be that Skyrim is absolutely worth getting?  I have to admit that I couldn't really get into Oblivion (although I did enjoy playing Morrowind to an extent) because I felt that the world was too open.  I kept getting lost, wandering into strange dungeons, found way more stuff than I could carry back to town and sell, and signing up for quests that seemed to go nowhere.  In that regard, I'm afraid that Skyrim is going to be more of the same.

On the other hand, the other biggest complaint I had about Oblivion--namely, that the critters would level up as you did--fortunately doesn't seem to be an issue in Skyrim.

And Elenwe, that "How to Steal in Skyrim" video was pure awesome.  It made me laugh.  A lot.