[NCHS] or [NCES] Sigil Prep / Dungeon Crusade

Started by kongming, November 28, 2009, 10:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kongming

So I've regained my vigour, and I'm sure I really could handle running a group game again. Especially if it's not super high level, and I enforce a hard limit for number of players. So here are some ideas, and I would like feedback from people interested in playing:

1. Sigil Prep:

Yes, I ran it for a while over a year ago. It was fun, but I just ran out of energy and there were too many people. So this time, it would perhaps be a little higher in level - around the 6-7 mark, so that sexier foes can be fought. Other than that, it would basically be the same - a high school comedy setting, influenced by anime, teen movies and the like. Complete with pillow fights, locker room activity and liberally applied corporal punishment. Female characters highly preferred, but I won't necessarily put my foot down unless the team ends up being a sausagefest.

I highly encourage use of stuff from the Gaming Den, because it's a fact that the monsters of D&D are built assuming you're playing casters, and fighter types are weaksauce. So I'd like players to take the stronger classes (such as the Gaming Den fighter replacements) so that I don't have to weaken foes for them. Want to play something weird or unique, or a monster as a race? Talk to me, I can make it happen. I'm happy to turn monsters into sexy monstergirls, too.

2. Dungeon Crusade:
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=49873&start=0

Yeah, I made the whole thing, because I'm just that awesome. I'm thinking of running a few scenarios through in Assault tier, then if that goes well, upgrading to Siege tier. Sexual encounters will still happen, but it'll be up to the PCs to justify why it's okay to dabble in such delicious heresy.

Any interest?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Hunter

Quote from: kongming on November 28, 2009, 10:59:45 PM
Yeah, I made the whole thing, because I'm just that awesome.

+1!   ;D

Count me as interested.

DeviantMunster

I might be interested... if someone assist me with character generation! I can probably (hopefully) figure it out on my own however.

kongming

DM: I'm more than happy to help out with character generation. Which game do you prefer, and do you have a character type in mind?

Hunter: I take it that's a vote for Dungeon Crusade? Or just a general statement about how much I rock? Likewise, have a character in mind?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Kunoichi

*has always wanted to try Sigil Prep*

Hmm.  I think I could make a rather hilarious Wilder or Warblade character...  Perhaps a Warlock who transferred in from a school in Eberron?

Hunter

Quote from: kongming on November 28, 2009, 11:25:20 PM
Hunter: I take it that's a vote for Dungeon Crusade? Or just a general statement about how much I rock? Likewise, have a character in mind?

I could do either, actually.  Yes to the second.  Not yet (to the third).

DeviantMunster

I'm actually confused! Dungeon Crusade seems to have its own rules that I can follow... as for Sigil Prep, you mention DnD a lot. Is it DnD or... *ponders* I have 3.5. Is Sigil Prep the... new DnD? 4.0?

Obviously no character in mind! Yet.

Kunoichi

For Sigil Prep, basically imagine a conglomeration of every wacky High School anime you've ever seen.  Now set it to D&D rules (literally any edition) and imagine that it's set in Sigil, City of Doors, doorway to literally any place in the D&D multiverse.

kongming

DM: okay, DC is basically its own complete set of rules, using the 3.5 system (modified by the Gaming Den Tomes). Sigil Prep is a "joke" setting for light-hearted fun games of D&D 3.5 - but in this case, modified by the Gaming Den stuff.

Hunter: quite okay. We're still in the early stages.

Kunoichi: I dislike Psionics and am unashamed about it, but I won't actually say no. I have no complaints with the Warblade, and as for the Warlock, it's a little weak but I could probably throw some free stuff on top of that to make it all good - perhaps upping the Eldritch Blast damage and giving them a curse ability that makes bad (and hilarious) things happen to their curse victims.

Ons/Offs:

Kunoichi

Actually, rather than being weak, the Warlock would be best described as being about in the middle, power-wise.  With the right invocations and a little ingenuity, they can be useful in just about any party.

*would probably be a Changeling Warlock if she chose to play one*

kongming

Fair enough. Changelings certainly bring fun to the table.

And I decided, if you (or anyone else) pick Warlock, what to do: just make them a little more versatile, easy to use in many situations: all Invocations are Supernatural abilities (no ASF, no attacks of opportunity, no spell resistance, save DC is always 10 + half level + Cha), pick Cha+1 Cantrips or Orisons, you get them as bonus (Su) abilities at will for party tricks or whatever, and they also get the Witch's Curse as a (Su) at will:

Range: melee touch attack
Saving Throw: none
Duration: until the next corner of the day (dawn, noon, dusk, midnight), at level 10 this becomes "until the next full moon, in worlds without moons (like Sigil) that's just 30 days), at level 20 it becomes "permanent until Wished/Miracled".
Effect: select one:
*the target suffers 20% action failure on all actions
*takes a -4 penalty on all d20 rolls
*becomes fascinating to animals and vermin, who are attracted to the character within a 1 mile radius and are all determined to share the character's occupied space.

At level 3 onwards, gain these options:
*the target suffers 50% action failure on all actions
*takes a -8 penalty to one ability score
*all of their equipment instantly falls to the ground, even things that really shouldn't fall off. Even bags spill open.

(Yes, at level 3 you can go around making people's pants fall off. Because Warlocks are like that.)

Level 5+ option:
*the target suddenly ages, taking a -6 penalty to Strength, Dexterity and Constitution and has poor vision, gaining a -6 penalty to Spot and Search and treating everyone as though they had Concealment.

Level 7+ options:
*the target is rendered unable to speak
*enters a Rage but has a 50% chance of not being able to tell enemy from ally.
*they become terribly allergic to either Plants, Animals or Vermin (caster chooses), taking a -10 penalty on all attack rolls, Fort saves and skill checks when within 10' of one.

Level 9+ options:
*the target forgets a single class feature of the caster's choice
*is treated as having zero ranks in any of their skills
*a Centipede Swarm appears within their stomach and attacks, requiring disembowelment (50% of their HP or more) to remove. Every morning, another swarm will appear there. Oh joy. Replace with Hellwasp swarm at level 15+.

Level 11+ options:
*the target is rendered Blind and Deaf and also enters a Rage, charging in random directions and attacking whatever they bump into
*their clothing all animates (as per Animate Object) and tries to kill them.

Level 13+ options:
*the target becomes suicidal, attempting to find ways to end their own life
*is rendered unable to sleep, suffering all of the effects of sleep deprivation.
*their hands turn into Small Monstrous Spiders (with HD equal to the Caster Level) which immediately try to bite them until hacked off (dealing the damage of the injury to the target) and then slain. They then turn back into hands, but are detached. This will happen every morning for the duration, as well.

Level 15+ options:
*the target becomes Stunned or Nauseated
*despite all logic is targeted by a single Comet once per day for the entire duration. What are the odds?
*they contract a disease, and contract another one every morning they wake up.

Level 17+ options:
*the target suffers an Eternity of Torture effect
*their weapons turn into snakes (Half Fiend or Half Celestial, with +1 Outsider hit die per Caster Level) and immediately attack them, treating their natural weapons as though they had all the special abilities and enhancement bonuses of the original weapon. If it is a weapon of 3 Wishes, you can expect the snake to waste them, going "I wish I was out in the desert somewhere. I wish I had a pond of cool water. I wish I had a mouse. Yeeeeeeah, I'm so happy."

---

And for the record, yes, Sigil Prep will still be 50% curricular activities (school-mandated dungeon crawls), 50% extra-curricular - players going about and finding/making trouble, messing in the affairs of each other and NPCs, and so on. Expect the penalty for basically any rule breach, or for failing something, to be a spanking, some form of sexual indecency, or both. Possibly at the same time.

Ons/Offs:

DeviantMunster

I'm -so- going to need some assistance with character creation, me thinks. *blinks* So um, are wizards created normally per DnD rules or... *Rubs head helplessly*

kongming

Yes indeed, Wizards are created as per the normal rules, because they're quite powerful and versatile enough.

So we'll call it level 6, and with maximum HP for level 1, then half the die after (d4 = 2, d6 = 3, d8 = 4, d10 = 5, d12 = 6).
Ability scores shall be using point-buy: 32 points

Ons/Offs:

DeviantMunster

Question! Which are we going with. Sigil Prep? Or Dundeon Crusade?

*ponders* And mind explaining Sigil a little more? I mean, I know of the city but... what precisely will we be doing?

kongming

Well let's say Sigil Prep - there are two people interested in either (including you), and one specifically interested in Sigil Prep.

Okay, so basically there is a high school/college/university thing in Sigil, where youths go to study how to be adventurers (or monsters - many a BBEG has graduated with honours from there). The PCs are enrolled, and aside from enjoying regular student stuff, they will actually be sent out on adventuring courses. Usually these are not cases of taking on quests for the city/planes, but are specifically set up to be a challenge - hence why bizarre combinations of monsters are found.

A lot of stuff happens in the school itself, but you will also find yourselves going about in Sigil, as well as some of the various planes.

---

So, what kinds of help do you need to make your character?

Ons/Offs:

Jefepato

Dungeon Crusade looks kinda neat, but if I had to vote, I'd vote for Sigil Prep because it was freaking awesome.

I'd need to come up with a decent character idea, though...

EDIT: I've been reading the Gaming Den stuff and I feel a bad idea coming on.  KM, how would you feel about hacking the Conduit of the Lower Planes to be a bit more like the Fiend of Corruption PrC (from the back of Fiend Folio)?  For some reason, the idea of playing a novice soultaker cheerfully trying to sell her classmates on eternal damnation sounds like fun.

DeviantMunster

Curses! I was having similar ideas about that. But in any case, yeah, do you allow monsters in the game? I find it would be sort of amusing to have someone trying to learn how to be an evil baddie among her friends.

kongming

Jefe: I could probably whip something up, yeh.

DM: Certainly, just say what monster, and I can make it happen.

Ons/Offs:

Jefepato

Quote from: kongming on November 29, 2009, 04:55:41 PM
Jefe: I could probably whip something up, yeh.

I have a few ideas on how to make it work myself, although you obviously have more experience statting things up.  I'll PM you so we don't clog this thread.

DeviantMunster

Considering this is part funny, I have decided to make a... young and naive succubus! Just because *nods* Though I will refrain from making her a paladin so I don't totally tear up people's ideas of DnD! *ponders* I might make her a sorceress though. Assuming I can play her of course.

kongming

Sure. Do you want the full parcel and package Succubus (Outsider hit dice, the full stat boosts, spell-like abilities, everything), or just a watered down version that basically covers the general idea? The first one would more or less mean your first 7-8 levels are taken up with "Succubus", the second would be a basic race option with some alternate class abilities, feats and so on.

Ons/Offs:

DeviantMunster

I'd say a watered down version. That way she could be 'training' to become a full-fledged one! Or not, depending.

kongming

That works for me. In that case...

Succubus
"Suck-you-what?"
Type: Outsider [Extraplanar, Chaotic, Evil]
Size: Medium
Speed: 30'
Ability Scores: +2 Charisma

Skills: Succubi get a +4 racial bonus to Disguise checks

Wings: Succubi have wings, and can glide as per Featherfall. At level 6, they gain a Fly speed of 30' (Clumsy). At level 10 it becomes 50' (Average).

Kissy-Kissy: With a kiss (a grapple attack or a melee touch attack that does provoke unless a Feint is made), the Succubus can drain energy from a foe. This deals 1d10+level+Cha nonlethal damage, with a Fort save for half (DC 10 + half level + Cha mod). If the foe fails the save they become Fatigued for one minute. Doing this energises the Succubus, removing an equal amount of nonlethal damage and removing Fatigue/Exhaustion from her. She can also choose to use this every round that she has sex with someone. Doing this means they take a -5 penalty to the saving throw.

---

Alternate Class Features: (these are optional)
Level 1 Sorceress: lose the Familiar, instead gain Charm Person and Disguise Self as Spell-like abilities 3 times per day
Level 6 Sorceress: lose 1 level 3 spell slot (not spell known), instead bestow a Suggestion (Sp) when you use "Kissy-Kissy"
Level 8 Sorceress: lose 1 level 4 spell slot, instead gain Poison on your kiss: DC 10 + half level + Con, 1d4 Wis/1d6 Int
Level 10 Sorceress: lose nothing - you went this far without taking a prestige class! Deal 1 negative level when using "Kissy-Kissy".

---

Optional Feats:

Succubus Tail
You have a whiplike, pointy tail. You can do fun things with it.
Requirement: Succubus
Benefit: All Succubi have a tail, yours can be used though. It grants a +4 racial bonus to Balance checks, and can be used as a Whip that deals real damage and is not ignored by armour.
At level 10, it also stings people with the tip, dealing 4d4 Acid damage.

Combat Indecency
You fight in ways that are entirely inappropriate.
Benefit: While mostly or completely nude, you may add your Charisma bonus as an Armour bonus to AC.
Level 5: You may use "Kissy Kissy" as a ranged touch attack out to 30' by blowing a kiss.
Level 10: If a foe strikes you in melee combat, they must make a Will save (DC 10 + half your level + Cha) or drop their weapon as you make noises that suggest you enjoyed it.

Succubus Bloodline
Rawr
Benefit: you gain additional spells on your Sorceress list:
1 Command
3 Torrent of Tears
4 Crushing Despair
7 Mass Suggestion
9 Mind Rape

Special: if the feat from Fiendish Codex, "Otherworldly Countenance", is taken, all the above feats count as Heritor feats so you get the increasing bonus and uses per day.

---

What do you think?

Ons/Offs:

DeviantMunster

Sounds good! Kinky too~ *ponders* Suu... should I start making my character now? And what level?

Kunoichi

Hmm.  Come to think of it, I have a Kalashtar Wilder who I could probably level up to make her the appropriate level for this game.  She was made using 32 point buy and comes with her own plot hooks, although those can be removed if they don't fit in with what you'd like to try...