TV as computer monitor? AND getting rid of cable

Started by Peripherie, August 11, 2019, 06:46:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peripherie

I'm trying to declutter my living room and pair back on bills. Having my office set up and my TV in the same room is clunky. My two questions -

Is there any reason why I couldn't turn my television into my computer monitor? I have an HDMI switch that handles my Xbox/Amazon Fire/Cable pretty well without lag. It is a 4 input switch so even if I didn't get rid of cable I would have space to add my desktop if it were possible.

and 2nd question -

I am moving my TV setup to a wall that doesn't have easy cable line access AND I'm tired of the huge prices my cable company charges. I'm thinking of just ditching cable and keeping all my wifi fueled services. Does anyone have any experience with Sling or Philo internet tv service? I haven't heard of Philo but received info in the mail and it is cheaper than Sling.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

The Dark Raven

My hubs has a tv as a monitor and we only have roku services (amazon prime, hulu, and netflix).  Works for us.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Peripherie

Quote from: The Dark Raven on August 11, 2019, 07:18:56 PM
My hubs has a tv as a monitor and we only have roku services (amazon prime, hulu, and netflix).  Works for us.

Thanks!

Do you use it as both a tv and a computer monitor? (Meaning switching between the two?) I have Amazon Fire TV but I do want to access some 'cable' channels that I like to watch. I should see how many of them I can watch through Hulu.
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

The Dark Raven

Quote from: Peripherie on August 11, 2019, 07:22:15 PM

Thanks!

Do you use it as both a tv and a computer monitor? (Meaning switching between the two?) I have Amazon Fire TV but I do want to access some 'cable' channels that I like to watch. I should see how many of them I can watch through Hulu.

Our tv downstairs does that.  Flips between roku and Steam/wii.  We just have to remember to pick the right channel, but the roku facilitates that pretty well.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.