Dark M's Resurrection - A high-powered D&D 3.5 game (NC-Exotic)(Closed)

Started by Kunoichi, January 31, 2018, 02:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimera

Quote from: Kunoichi on January 31, 2018, 05:17:07 PM
Ah.  If you had been willing to go for a smaller size and more of a focus on innate abilities, I was going to suggest taking a Sirine and taking all 10 levels of the Siren prestige class from Savage Species to make a sort of wandering aquatic songstress who lures people to their doom.  As it is, it looks like you and Sain both have rather similar character concepts. ^^;

I suppose I could alter my concept and make something complementary to sain's concept.

Kunoichi

Alright, finally home.  Time to answer a few questions and make an edit or two to the opening post.

Quote from: Lockepick on January 31, 2018, 04:39:48 PM
Vampire Lord adds +1 HP per level (on top of the d12 HD) -- would I get that bonus or no?

I'd say you get the +1 HP per HD in addition to your usual d8+Con modifier.

Can we play with the character sheet template a little? Frankly -- I just hate how Attributes/Saving Throws are at the bottom of monster sheets (Compared to PC sheets).

Certainly, feel free to rearrange it as you please.

Are we allowing/using any of the following mechanics/rules:
- Item Familiars?
- Pathfinder Skills vs DnD Skills?
- Removing XP cost from spells (GP = 5 x XP cost?)?
- Magical Locations?
- Chaos Shuffle for Feats?

My character Torahime from the previous game had the Item Familiar feat, so I'm inclined to say yes.  I'm guessing you're wanting to give your 100,000 gp item of power intelligence and an extra ability or two?

Zaer generally runs games with the D&D 3.5 skill list, and in this case, Outsider HD adding 8+Int Modifier skill points per HD should help make it a little easier to not have access to that condensed skill list.

You'll have to check with Zaer on swapping XP costs for GP costs to be sure, but it was houseruled in for the previous game and I'm certainly not against adding it back in here.

Magical Locations should be fine.

Using Embrace the Dark Chaos and Shun the Dark Chaos would actually be thematically appropriate in a game like this one, but I'm against it on the grounds that you already get free feat retraining when you acquire the Archfiend template.  Do you just want to use it for item crafting, or did you have some other purpose in mind?

Quote from: LizzieV on January 31, 2018, 03:18:43 PM
Demon Lord Upgrades

Alacine
Nymph (CR 7, 6HD), Archfiend (CR +2), Monster of Legend (CR +2), Leanan Sidhe (CR +0), Monk 1, Sorcerer 1, Abjurant Champion 5, Mystic Theurge 3 (Classes CR 5, HD 10) (Yugoloth)
Additional Spell-Like Abilities
   At-will - Animate Dead, Command Undead
   3/day - Cloudkill, Slay Living, Symbol of Death
   1/day - Create Undead, Destruction
Additional Weaknesses
Fascination with Beauty (Ex) Much as her own beauty is used as a weapon so too can the concept be turned against her. If she encounters anything of extreme beauty she will become obsessed with it to the exclusion of anything else until she acquires it for her personal collection. During this time she will not take any aggressive action against any enemy that does not directly impede her progress. In addition if she acquires her new possession and the current location may cause it harm she will attempt to withdraw with her new object or person until it has been safely stored away. During the wars with the abyss particularly attractive succubi or captured angels were sometimes offered up to keep her from influencing the war as she would take her prize and vanish from a given fight, often not returning until too late if at all.

Special ability name List two special qualities and one special attack gained from archfiend template

Soul Ensnarement - Anasil's terribly beauty is such that if her full attention is focused on a single creature even their soul may forget how to live. If a creature is currently stunned by her Nymph's Stunning Glance ability, Anasil may spend a full round action to force that creature to save again or die. This ability only works on creatures with souls.

The Eternal Cycle of Life and Death - The experience of walking through the doors of death and crawling through horrors of beyond have given her insight into the realms of the soul itself. Paranoid of the journey and corrupted by the bleak nature of her plane, she has learned to manipulate and ride the flow of souls in extreme circumstances. Any creature she skill will have its soul absorbed and stored within her unholy body. If slain, she automatically releases a number of Hit Dice of souls equal to double her own in order to be transported back to her home plane where she will revive and be unable to leave her sanctum for one full day. During this time she cannot activate this ability again.

The Queen of the Damned (Su) - No undead within her presence may be turned or destroyed by any spell that only targets undead. In addition there is no limit to the number of undead she can control and any undead she creates or animates gains +2 hit points per hit die. The protection against turning and spells is disabled if she is subjected to the Fascination with Beauty listed above.

Summon Yugoloth (Sp) - Once per day, she  may summon 1 Ultroloth or 1d4+1 Nycaloths. This ability functions as a 9th Level Spell.

Alright, now that I've had a little more time to look over your character, what you've got so far looks pretty good. ^^ Soul Ensnarement and The Eternal Cycle of Life and Death both look like they should be (Su) abilities, however, and Queen of the Damned is a bit strong.  Rather than it rendering undead within her presence immune to turning and spells that specifically target undead, would you instead be alright with it giving them her Charisma modifier as turning resistance and a bonus to saves against such spells?  With her Charisma score, that should still be a rather sizable boost.

Additionally, Queen of the Damned doesn't actually have a listed range.  60 ft is generally the normal range for abilities like this, if that sounds workable.

Quote from: Re Z L on January 31, 2018, 05:29:26 PM
I don't suppose the lovely Nyag'thon would still work...

She might, if you want to use her, though she'd need a slightly different backstory.  On the other hand, coming up with a new character could also be pretty fun. ^^

Quote from: Sain on January 31, 2018, 05:33:32 PM
I've got 5 class levels to pick after taking 3 in Paladin of Slaughter. Any suggestions? Something without spellcasting that could make my character better at grappling.

I would also like to make some sort of beefy ultimate ranged attack for the special demon lord attack. Perhaps something like extra far reaching line breath weapon of some useful energy type like force. Sort of want the character to be mostly grappling and doing melee stuff and then offer some ranged help with big boom beam every 1d4 turns etc.

I think I may need to think about getting some actual damage and more natural attacks too though if I wish the concept to actually work in play.

The Tome of Battle might help when it comes to both dealing damage and improving grappling.  Levels in Swordsage would grant you access to the Setting Sun discipline that's focused around grapples and other combat maneuvers, and of course they gain access to some other disciplines with fun maneuvers to use, as well.

If you'd like your template-granted special attack to be the ability to emit line of force with a 1d4 round recharge time, looking at various dragons suggests that 14d6 would be a suitable damage number.  You could upgrade it to 14d8 if you switched it to a more commonly-resisted damage type like fire, cold or electricity, however.

Also, when you're more awake, could you use something like the first template in the opening post to list your basic build and the choices you made for the Archfiend template?  I find it helpful for keeping track of everyone's character choices.

Quote from: Kimera on January 31, 2018, 06:13:05 PM
I suppose I could alter my concept and make something complementary to sain's concept.

Hmm.  I suppose if you're really dedicated to being an aquatic grappler, you could always use the infamous monstrous crab as your base creature.  Death of many a third-level adventurer, though the base creature is rather weak to ranged attacks.  You'd have 8 class levels and 7 CR's-worth of templates to play around with when building it, however.

Kimera

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 01, 2018, 12:13:31 AM
Hmm.  I suppose if you're really dedicated to being an aquatic grappler, you could always use the infamous monstrous crab as your base creature.  Death of many a third-level adventurer, though the base creature is rather weak to ranged attacks.  You'd have 8 class levels and 7 CR's-worth of templates to play around with when building it, however.

I think I wanna change it up to an innate power/spellcaster type

Sain

My template is added there, though things may change in it a bit still.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Kimera on February 01, 2018, 01:41:40 AM

Then there are few creatures fitting to be spellcasters. One easy one which comes to mind is raksasha (which counts as sorcerer of certain level and comes with tons of stats and special abilities and shapeshifting powers. If want more spell-alike powers then warlock class is suitable (even take it with raksasha and enter then eldricth theurge PrC combine both casting styles). But if think innate casting on aquatic, Kraken has some but is simply too high on CR to take (and HD). If want you could enter Sea Witch PrC instead as raksasha (and considering you have outsider HD and BAB you could take scimitar or rapier and be pirate themed fiendish entity).

Kunoichi

Quote from: Kimera on February 01, 2018, 01:41:40 AM

Alright.  Are you still wanting to use that same picture as before for inspiration, or are you wanting to try something else?  There are plenty of good options out there for creatures that would make good spellcasters or that have interesting innate abilities.

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 01:50:03 AM
My template is added there, though things may change in it a bit still.

It looks like it's coming along pretty nicely, so far.  Also, having done a little more looking into grappling-related options, it looks like taking the first level of the Scaled Horror prestige class from Savage Species would be a convenient way for you to get the Improved Grab special attack.  And if you don't like the idea of taking levels in Swordsage for the last 4 levels after that, Psychic Warrior or Totemist could be two other good options.

Sain

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 01, 2018, 04:26:43 AM
It looks like it's coming along pretty nicely, so far.  Also, having done a little more looking into grappling-related options, it looks like taking the first level of the Scaled Horror prestige class from Savage Species would be a convenient way for you to get the Improved Grab special attack.  And if you don't like the idea of taking levels in Swordsage for the last 4 levels after that, Psychic Warrior or Totemist could be two other good options.

The free spell like abilities from Demon Lord template are already a tremendous help in getting her to grappling shape. If I remember correctly it might be hard to get swordsage to work with natural attacks.

What kind of rules did we follow for prestige classes and multiclassing? You have to complete a prestige class progression before picking another one?

Zaer Darkwail

Well, considering I did not finish Divine Oracle before going for Paragnostic Apostle, finishing PrC's is not must have and able take multiple PrC levels if qualify doing so. In natural attacks there is Tiger Claw style in maneuvers which works in natural attacks (or any style which allows unarmed and so far all 9 do, allow natural attacks).

Sain

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 01, 2018, 05:02:58 AM
Well, considering I did not finish Divine Oracle before going for Paragnostic Apostle, finishing PrC's is not must have and able take multiple PrC levels if qualify doing so. In natural attacks there is Tiger Claw style in maneuvers which works in natural attacks (or any style which allows unarmed and so far all 9 do, allow natural attacks).

Oh cool. Yeah, it's clearly been a while since I've looked at 3.5 ;D

LizzieV

Okay, I updated the Queen of the Damned to have a range and provide a buff based on Charisma as suggested as well as altered the weakness to something hopefully more in line. I'm not sure if it's too strong or too weak of one.

Added in skills, feats, equipment, and such. Working on a proper description, history, and aspects still.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Thinking on special abilities, 'gain the Undead type and Cha-to-HP' just feels...boring compared to some of the other Unique Qualities people are proposing. Any ideas on how to build it up a little?

Lockepick

@Kunoichi/Zaer: Oh, I'm not intending to use Chaos Shuffle or Magical Locations, these are just common questions. I'll likely use Item Familiar though -- need to take another look. Free skill points are always good.

Should have Methu 2.0 up tonight. Was waiting to hear the answer on skills before I tackled that (since that's a looooooot of formatting).
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, we use the standard 3.5 skills Lockepick. Magic locations are okay as well as they are cool and thematic.

Quote from: LizzieV on February 01, 2018, 11:41:25 AM
Okay, I updated the Queen of the Damned to have a range and provide a buff based on Charisma as suggested as well as altered the weakness to something hopefully more in line. I'm not sure if it's too strong or too weak of one.

Added in skills, feats, equipment, and such. Working on a proper description, history, and aspects still.

I say worry less of 'power play' aspects and more on the 'flavor'. As having OP chars can be boring to player while fun/flavorful char you always enjoy (my own advice and philosophy anyways).

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 01, 2018, 11:47:01 AM
Thinking on special abilities, 'gain the Undead type and Cha-to-HP' just feels...boring compared to some of the other Unique Qualities people are proposing. Any ideas on how to build it up a little?

Well, instead of undead type how sounds you have something similar to Schrödinger's cat syndrome on your demon prince; that it's uncertain to everyone is demon lord alive or (un)dead? No divination confirms it and neither negative nor positive energy harms him and he benefits stuff both as living and undead do (but receive neither drawbacks as cosmic forces of either aspects cannot decide which state he is in). Of course for such strong power the special weakness must associated in 'finding out' the truth and it can lead to devastating results to you (or allow someone do extreme amounts of harm or manipulation on you).

Kunoichi

Quote from: LizzieV on February 01, 2018, 11:41:25 AM

That new weakness looks good.  That said, since just having the GM throw Paladins at you when he wants to hit you might get a bit boring, another idea that comes to mind for a weakness with the same flavor is for good-aligned spells to get a similar sort of boost. Say, having them ignore your deflection bonus to AC and get +10 to overcome your spell resistance?  But without setting up further attacks for the same sort of boost, since a wider variety of enemies have access to good-aligned spells than smite evil.  The current weakness you’ve got is fine if you want to keep it, however.

Also, having thought a bit further on the AC question, I think I definitely would like to set 40 as a hard upper bound for a character’s default, non-buffed AC in this game.  I am comfortable with players then using buffs to further improve their AC from there, however.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 01, 2018, 11:47:01 AM

I did propose the Dread Necromancer’s Lich Transformation capstone as something to look at earlier.  That ability comes with a free phylactery.  You could call the special ability Lichfiend (Ex), or something like that.

Sain

I have pretty much picked classes/class abilities. All that is left are feats and skills.

Also having hard time thinking demon lord abilities. Ungrah is from the depths of the Abyss so something that works like an aura that gives some kind of crushing pressure of underwater feeling to people around her and hinders them could be cool.

The core concept is that she is basically bloated by magics and stolen things. Thinking that she was Half-Fey/Elf Pirate Queen of some cosmic caliber with bunch of Fey as her lackeys (flying armada and all) and drowned with her crew. Now she needs Fey flesh and loves to torture and play with lesser creatures.

I was thinking something like this:

Fey Hunger(Ex)
Ungrah’s magically infused body is sustained by the fresh flesh of Fey and Fae related creatures (elves will do in a pinch). She needs to consume one HD worth of Fey creatures per day. No other sustenance nourishes her. However, Ungrah’s body can gorge on an excess of Fey, storing up to her HD worth of Fey HD and thus able to stave off the consequences for a while.

Once hungry Ungrah will not starve normally, but rather takes one unresisted temporary negative level per day of hunger until only 5 HD remain, and suffers as follows:
-Day 1: Lose access to Demon Lord template granted special attack.
-Day 3: All innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down and are per hour instead of per turn.
-Day 5: Innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down by one day. Base flight, walk, and swim speed are halved.
-When Ungrah has only 5 HD remaining she has a 75% chance to enter forced slumber. Ungrah can test again every day to see if she wakes up.

Ungrah can recover from her starved form by consuming just one HD worth of Fey, but after being so hungry it takes one day to digest and recover.

Sain

Should probably get some damage type weakness too since those seem popular?

LizzieV

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 01, 2018, 02:20:21 PM
That new weakness looks good.  That said, since just having the GM throw Paladins at you when he wants to hit you might get a bit boring, another idea that comes to mind for a weakness with the same flavor is for good-aligned spells to get a similar sort of boost. Say, having them ignore your deflection bonus to AC and get +10 to overcome your spell resistance?  But without setting up further attacks for the same sort of boost, since a wider variety of enemies have access to good-aligned spells than smite evil.  The current weakness you’ve got is fine if you want to keep it, however.

Also, having thought a bit further on the AC question, I think I definitely would like to set 40 as a hard upper bound for a character’s default, non-buffed AC in this game.  I am comfortable with players then using buffs to further improve their AC from there, however.

I'll see about reworking the weakness again. I'll have to figure out something about AC and do some concept reworking I think. Completely dropping monk would lower my unbuffed AC to 41 (although normal walking around ac would be 52 thanks to mage armor), still a point over the unbuffed limit, and removes flurry and my ability to use my current weapon. I'll have to ponder how to rework things.
O/O

Kunoichi

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 02:25:00 PM
I have pretty much picked classes/class abilities. All that is left are feats and skills.

Also having hard time thinking demon lord abilities. Ungrah is from the depths of the Abyss so something that works like an aura that gives some kind of crushing pressure of underwater feeling to people around her and hinders them could be cool.

The Monster Manual III has an undead in it called the Drowned that has a Drowning Aura you might find worth looking into.

I was thinking something like this:

Fey Hunger(Ex)
Ungrah’s magically infused body is sustained by the fresh flesh of Fey and Fae related creatures (elves will do in a pinch). She needs to consume one HD worth of Fey creatures per day. No other sustenance nourishes her. However, Ungrah’s body can gorge on an excess of Fey, storing up to her HD worth of Fey HD and thus able to stave off the consequences for a while.

Once hungry Ungrah will not starve normally, but rather takes one unresisted temporary negative level per day of hunger until only 5 HD remain, and suffers as follows:
-Day 3: All innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down and are per hour instead of per turn.
-Day 5: Innate healing and regeneration abilities are slowed down by one day. Base flight, walk, and swim speed are halved.
-When Ungrah has only 5 HD remaining she has a 75% chance to enter forced slumber. Ungrah can test again every day to see if she wakes up.

Ungrah can recover from her starved form by consuming just one HD worth of Fey, but after being so hungry it takes one day to digest and recover.

Considering that our characters get free Plane Shift, I'd say that it should probably take more than just a single HD of Fey eaten per day to keep Ungrah satiated.  Perhaps 12 HD, which would mean a diet of roughly 2 Nymphs or 3 Dryads per day?  This type of special weakness is a bit harder to balance than most, because it's less about giving enemies something to do to you in a fight and more about requiring certain regular actions of you in order to maintain your power.

Quote from: Sain on February 01, 2018, 02:25:47 PM
Should probably get some damage type weakness too since those seem popular?

A basic elemental damage weakness is always good.  Or for something more flavorful, you could always have spells that do damage related to desiccation (like Horrid Wilting or those spells from Sandstorm) have an easier time penetrating your spell resistance.

Quote from: LizzieV on February 01, 2018, 02:37:18 PM
I'll see about reworking the weakness again. I'll have to figure out something about AC and do some concept reworking I think. Completely dropping monk would lower my unbuffed AC to 41 (although normal walking around ac would be 52 thanks to mage armor), still a point over the unbuffed limit, and removes flurry and my ability to use my current weapon. I'll have to ponder how to rework things.

As I mentioned before, you could simply take an extra weakness that's just a constant penalty to AC that brings your innate, un-buffed AC down to 40.  In exchange, you'd have an extra bonus feat to work with, as well.

Green Goo Theory

This sounds fucking amazing.  Bookmarking it for later since I'm at work.  Also, what issue of Dragon magazine was the template in?  I have almost every issue. 
Coming soon...

PhantomPistoleer

Can the Fiend's extra Special Attack be the ability to cast spells?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Kunoichi

Quote from: Green Goo Theory on February 01, 2018, 03:23:30 PM
This sounds fucking amazing.  Bookmarking it for later since I'm at work.  Also, what issue of Dragon magazine was the template in?  I have almost every issue.

The template was in Dragon Magazine #359.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on February 01, 2018, 03:28:17 PM
Can the Fiend's extra Special Attack be the ability to cast spells?

I'll say as a 12th-level full caster on its own, yes, or it can be used to boost any innate spellcasting you have from race, template or class choices to 16th level.

Sain

Quote from: Kunoichi on February 01, 2018, 03:11:58 PM
The Monster Manual III has an undead in it called the Drowned that has a Drowning Aura you might find worth looking into.

Considering that our characters get free Plane Shift, I'd say that it should probably take more than just a single HD of Fey eaten per day to keep Ungrah satiated.  Perhaps 12 HD, which would mean a diet of roughly 2 Nymphs or 3 Dryads per day?  This type of special weakness is a bit harder to balance than most, because it's less about giving enemies something to do to you in a fight and more about requiring certain regular actions of you in order to maintain your power.

A basic elemental damage weakness is always good.  Or for something more flavorful, you could always have spells that do damage related to desiccation (like Horrid Wilting or those spells from Sandstorm) have an easier time penetrating your spell resistance.

@GMs. I have revised some Demon Lord bits. I'm not sure what kind of damage component I should add to the aura?

Fey Hunger(Ex)
Ungrah’s magically infused body is sustained by the fresh flesh of Fey and Fae related creatures (elves will do in a pinch). She needs to consume half her HD worth of Fey creatures per day. No other sustenance nourishes her. However, Ungrah’s body can gorge on an excess of Fey, storing up to her HD worth of Fey HD and thus able to stave off the consequences for a while.

Ungrah can recover from her starved form by consuming her daily portion Fey, but after being so hungry it takes one day to digest and recover.

Depths Dried (Ex)
Damage or spells that deal with deccidation, such as horrid wilting, bypass all of Ungrath’s spell and damage resistances.

Aura of Depths (Su):
Ungrath gives off a 60-foot radius emanation of suffocating depths of the Abyss. Her  surroundings darken and gain an oppressive atmosphere with sounds and colours dulling as if deep beneath the waves. All breathing creatures within 60 feet of a drowned are treated as if beneath water in terms of being able to breathe. The drowning aura accelerates the process of drowning.

Normally, a creature can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to twice its Constitution score before it begins to drown. Within the Aura of Depths, a creature can only hold its breath if it makes a DC 10+Con Constitution check every round. Each round, the DC increases by 1. When the character finally fails its Constitution check, it begins to drown. In the first round, it falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, it drops to –1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, if still in the drowning aura, it drowns. In addition the aura imposes tremendous underwater pressure on those caught within and deals. An additional DC 15 save negates, though the save increases by 1 each round. An afflicted creature suffers 16d6 bludgeoning damage at the start of their turn and falls prone. If failed the creature must make a strength check to move. Aquatic creatures which can withstand deep ocean pressures are immune to its effects (GM discretion to decide what is deep sea creature).

Zaer Darkwail

Well, by rules of stormwrack spaltbook (page 11) the deep ocean pressure causes damage equal to 1d6 per 100'ft the person is under there (and usually hits after a minute). You need decide the 'depth' your aura produces (perhaps equal to 100'ft x your HD?). The pressure is not instant dmg but it's certain dmg which hits without save and the forcing someone prone needs perhaps fort save to resist (and if failed, then need make Str check to move). Aquatic creatures and such are resistant to this effect naturally or even outright immune if they can handle the deep ocean pressure safely.

Green Goo Theory

Has anyone been approved yet and how many players are we looking for here?  Just so I know what kind of time table I'm possibly lookingat here?  Since tonight is also my 5e game night.
Coming soon...

Sain

Edited the aura. Now just to find some feats and thematically fitting special qualities...