The Winter of Discontent [Recruitment; Pathfinder Golarion]

Started by Cythieus, October 13, 2014, 06:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cythieus

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 14, 2014, 02:49:29 AM
If ACG is in, a bloodrager might be cool :-)
This is kind of why I didn't can ACG in. I feel like the flavor of the game isn't right for most of those classes and that the classes are a little tough to fit into games with other classes and make the power scaling equal.

eBadger

Lord Ethan Vayle
Elven Rogue

Ethan Vayle is the scion of a long line of proud aristocrats...who have, according to his parents, fallen into temporary political troubles.  They don't seem very temporary to him, however; he grew up an expatriate in a decaying mansion on a street long abandoned by the better types, decaying townhouses portioned up and sublet to the lowest classes.  The bare remains of the meager fortune the family carried into their exile allowed the Vayle clan the sheen of wealth to disguise spiraling debt, returned correspondence and the continuing disdain of the crown their grandfather once betrayed. 

Well over a century ago, Duke Prouss Vayle played a foolish hand during an attempted coup; he was killed and every Vayle ordered into exile.  Ethan's parents have never faltered in their conviction that the king would eventually relent and forgive.  A child born after the betrayal seemed like exactly the innocent needed to mend old wounds.  Representing the next generation of the Vayle noble line, Ethan was taught courtly manners, chivalric tradition and diplomatic languages; most of which has proven quite useless.  Instead he found his calling among the locals he wasn't supposed to acknowledge: the gamins, hucksters, second story men and street toughs.  He earned his colors early, his weapons training and simple magecraft the education he's found most worthwhile, and he proceeded to gather a reputation as an accomplished rogue that brought respect from his peers, favors from the harlots, and banishment from his parents. 

Undeterred by the new temporary political troubles he set forth with the family sword, his best lockpicks, his mother's collapsible tea service and a few other essentials to either finish the family's complete disgrace or revive its fortunes. 

Personality: Ethan has set out to seize life by the throat and make the most of it.  With the entitlement of a noble and the disregard of an exile, he's willing to risk danger and seek adventure for the promise of wealth and status, enlisting on any mad scheme, crime or noble deed likely to gain him something.  He's callous, but quick to defend a friend or forget an offense, with the polite manners of a peer and the recklessness of a rake.  He hasn't quite decided if he's a hero or a villain. 

Appearance: Ethan is average for an elf, tall compared to most humans.  He's handsome, wiry and well muscled; his most notable feature is long hair of midnight black that reaches well below his waist.  He tends toward tight shirts that display his physique and won't interfere with swordwork or stealing, and loose trousers or wraps that emphasize a flowing, graceful swordsman's stride and disguise his footwork during a fight.  Purple is often incorporated into accents, such as sashes, ribbons, or headbands, as both the color of his house and his former guild.  As massive and exotic weapons, his elven curved blade and longbow tend to gain notice as well. 

In regards to section, I prefer the Extreme; I don't plan any particular shenanigans but I've had things come up in the past (particularly in games like Pathfinder with plentiful non-humans) and it's annoying to split them off, censor them out or move the game around. 

Muse

Cytheius, is this story set on Golarion?  Or at least use the Golarion panthen? 

*laughs*  Never mind, it's right there in the tag line! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Rini is done. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1p50IR7gBQR6AR9j6DYmq6_Lwi7jcUTkDgk5dQMWzK9U/edit

I'll try to find her a picture.  Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see for her. 

if I had my druthers, I'd see this game go in NCES. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

eBadger

I peeked a bit at the wiki for Golarion; it seems like a basic fantasy world from what I saw, right?  Is there a better source than this or things we should know? 

Muse

That's the best free source I know of.  The setting book is called The Inner Sea World Guide. 

eBadger

Fair enough; I just didn't want to be surprised to learn we were all ruled by vampiric overlords or used ouija boards for magic or something. 

Chulanowa

Also, look into the book, "Varisia: Birthplace of Legends" - it details the specific region we're in

Blinkin

Character sheet sent in, although I may make a change or two to the equipment, it's pretty much done. I want to look at armor a bit more.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

eBadger

Thank ya, found this for Varisia (in case anyone else wants a reference):  http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Varisia

Sounds frontierish, lots of city states, lots of ruins and wilderness.  Not a lot of elves, so Ethan can be an odd duck - yay!  That will make his thrillseeking nature more entertaining, as he can blame any eccentricities on elven culture. 

Chulanowa

I've got my build pretty much settled (it took me a grueling five minutes to make a 25-point dwarf fighter!) but finding a picture for a female dwarf fighter is... another matter. At least, a picture that i like.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 15, 2014, 04:36:13 PM
I've got my build pretty much settled (it took me a grueling five minutes to make a 25-point dwarf fighter!) but finding a picture for a female dwarf fighter is... another matter. At least, a picture that i like.

A fine specimen of dwarven femininity right here. Here's another take on her--check out those high-heeled shoes, sexy ;)

eBadger

Quote from: Chulanowa on October 15, 2014, 04:36:13 PM
finding a picture for a female dwarf fighter is... another matter. At least, a picture that i like.

I am SO not bored today.  Really. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Muse

Angie

So, are we full around here? Because if not, I'll jump in with an idea or two.
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

eBadger

Quote from: Muse on October 15, 2014, 06:30:54 PM
nice.  Want me to throw a few into this pile?
I'm always on the hunt for good character images, so sure!

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 15, 2014, 06:45:13 PM
So, are we full around here? Because if not, I'll jump in with an idea or two.
Current characters (ranging from just posting interest to completed submissions):

eBadger - male elven rogue
Muse - female halfling cleric
Ghostwheel - male tiefling monk
Blinkin - female human? swashbuckler
Jaded - female human oracle
pumpkin seeds - ? elf wizard
chulanowa - female dwarven fighter

...unless I missed someone.  So I believe we have everything, but aren't necessarily glutted on anything.  I'd tentatively suggest avoiding a divine caster or melee and if you wanted to aim purely for need, I think our only arcane caster is just an interest post or we could probably use a bow focused ranger for some distance combat and nature skills. 

Angie

Quote from: eBadger on October 15, 2014, 09:02:02 PM
I'm always on the hunt for good character images, so sure!
Current characters (ranging from just posting interest to completed submissions):

eBadger - male elven rogue
Muse - female halfling cleric
Ghostwheel - male tiefling monk
Blinkin - female human? swashbuckler
Jaded - female human oracle
pumpkin seeds - ? elf wizard
chulanowa - female dwarven fighter

...unless I missed someone.  So I believe we have everything, but aren't necessarily glutted on anything.  I'd tentatively suggest avoiding a divine caster or melee and if you wanted to aim purely for need, I think our only arcane caster is just an interest post or we could probably use a bow focused ranger for some distance combat and nature skills.

I feel like rolling up a Dwarven Ranger. With a Crossbow, which is practically the same as Bow but with a couple different feats. Although I did just look at the original post, and apparently there was a time limit of Oct. 13th, which makes me sad. I'll do something if Cy allows it.

Pumpkin Seeds

Naesala Cyithrel

Elven Conjurer and Planar Researcher

There is order in magic.  A process by which someone can elicit a set response exists inside the arcane sciences of this world.  These processes are built upon laws and these laws exist throughout not only this plane of existence but across other planes as well.  Certainly the appearance of these laws vary from one existence to the next and certainly some truths that we hold dear in this world do not exist in others.  Still the principles hold true that across the universe there is laws that we all adhere and uphold.  Of course the question comes as to what these laws are, but then to know those without understanding would be a true tragedy.  Perhaps you are wondering at the source of my words, the credentials of this understanding.  I can give you only my name, Naesala Cyithrel.  From there I can trust that you know of my father’s work and know that I will dare walk his footsteps.

If you have not heard of him then I must enlighten.  Valum Cyithrel was a great professor of the arcane sciences, a true master of his arts and understanding.  Many of his colleagues still speak of his endeavors.  Such was his dedication that my own time with him was quite brief before he was taken from this world.  An accident I am told and assured the rumors are not true of his intent to open such an unstable portal by design.  He was a believer in the laws such as I, but he simply failed to grasp the law he was making use of on that night.  Still the screams and cries that came from that portal still haunt me as I was only a child then and understood only what children can.  Fortunate for me that his estate afforded me the luxury of tutors so that I might understand his works and legacy.

Among my tutors was one of his colleagues, Scholar Zikzazelzak, for whom I credit with much of my meager understanding today.  He instructed me in the rules and laws of the universe, allowed me my first glimpse of their complex yet simple design.  A great mind indeed, this gnome I count as a dear friend of mine.  Still books may only instruct so much and as I said to gain knowledge without understanding is a great tragedy.  So I now embark on a journey with a troupe of others to not only seek funding for my research but also understanding through practical application of my arcane studies.

eBadger

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 15, 2014, 09:15:25 PM
I feel like rolling up a Dwarven Ranger. With a Crossbow, which is practically the same as Bow but with a couple different feats. Although I did just look at the original post, and apparently there was a time limit of Oct. 13th, which makes me sad. I'll do something if Cy allows it.

He extended it in a later post - don't be sad!  You have time!

Angie

What the hell, I'll throw one in.

Nevan Stoneface, man of the mountains. Specifically of the Iron Peaks, where he lived alone with his father. His mother had died soon after his birth from a powerful disease, one that Nevan and his father, Fathrel, were lucky to not be infected by. Still, the pair of dwarves built a relationship of trust, respect, and love, having only themselves to rely on in the mountains. Nevan learned all his father knew-how to hunt, how to make and set traps, and all the many things needed to survive in the mountains. When Nevan was 30, he made his first crossbow, and used it to kill a pheasant. Fathrel was delighted, as pheasant was a delicacy, and on that day declared that Nevan was more a man then Dwarves twice his age.

Two weeks ago, however, Fathrel disappeared. Nevan did his best to track him, but Fathrel has 60 years on him, and his tracks were impossible to follow. So Nevan has come to Ravenmoor, hoping to find some information that may, potentially, somehow lead him to his father.

(Trait chosen: Finding Father)

(I don't care what kind of game it is-I personally draw the line at NC, though. It just gets under my skin.)

Chulanowa

Unarmored
Taavia Perkele
Female Dwarf Fighter
Character sheet

Background:
   Taavia's something of a rarity among dwarfs; she grew up around the other races, rather than secure in the heart of some dwarven citadel. Well, actually it was both the cliffside city of Dorganbar happened to have an in very popular with travelers and adventurers; her father ran that inn. And of course, he expected Taavia to fall in line. For a good many years, she did, serving, washing, cooking, pouring, sweeping, always hearing the gale and gust of adventurer's tales. it all sounded terribly romantic to her, heroes storming through old ruins, slaying savage monsters and liberating townsfolk and whatnot.

Of course, her father hated such notions and soundly rebuffed her over the dinner table many a time. he'd have no daughter of his hieing off to get eaten by some undead fae-touched ooze dragon half-construct, no-thank-you-sir! Instead, he did as any right-minded dwarven father would do, and set about forging an arranged marriage between his daughter and one of the local lord's second cousins or whatnot.

Taavia seethed at this of course... and more so when she overheard a company of travelers talking about one Kyrpä Perkele saving some town or other in his own adventuring career. Her father! Well, she decided then and there that she wasn't going to let dear old dad marry her off to some man who would spend more time braiding his beard than attending the necessary matters - especially after her father had kept this from her! When the adventurers left, they numbered one more in their company. Lacking any sort of special training other than a few of the town's mandatory militia drills, she fell into the role of a fighter easily enough.

Of late, Taavia has suffered nightmares; half-remembered visions of a looming doom, barely defined and usually vanishing like mist shortly after waking. She remembers enough of them to occupy a small, troubled space of her mind, with vague urges and symbols pulling her along the road to somewhere in Varisia. She knows something is coming, and is not only prepared to meet it, but to triumph - and secretly live up to what she's learned of her father's own heroics.

Personality:
   Taavia tries to stay open to new experiences; she's still young (for a dwarf) and new to this "adventuring" thing - at times, she's over her head. Despite her belief that her upbringing was cosmopolitan and far-reaching, she is in fact rather sheltered. She's not terribly concerned with tradition, but has a very strong sense of right and wrong, and no fear of making herself heard, if that's what she needs to do. She actually enjoys the thrill of combat (or at least, victory...) but still tries to maintain some aspects of being a dwarven lady, rather than some grubby campaigner or sellsword.

additional images
pre-adventurer
Pinup

...needless to say I actually managed something of a surfeit of dwarven dames.

Blinkin

Question for the GM. WOuld you allow Silk, a silk, Aranea Tunic? (Yes, I know the price is way too high, but planning ahead.) As Swashbucklers are suppose to avoid real armors, it seems like a fair compromise... unless someone can suggest an armor that isn't really an armor in the traditional sense?

And can anyone explain the "trap" in the special materials description regarding piercing weapons?
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Light armor is very iconic for swashbuckler types. Mithral chain shirt or padded armor are both good choices. Being a swashbuckler doesn't mean that you're a monk...

Angie

Oh man, I think my ranger has more HP then the fighter...

Chulanowa

Quote from: Angiejuusan on October 16, 2014, 11:44:40 AM
Oh man, I think my ranger has more HP then the fighter...

Yup. One more HP.

What are you gonna do with that handaxe though, tickle something? pfft.